Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Issues

• Start Topic

Sam's desire to find a therapeutic solution grows as his inner struggle intensifies; Dr. Strauss brings a new variable into their sessions.

Airs September 6, 2022

Okay yeah, 23 minutes per week is going to kill me.

This must be what a lot of mental health professionals feel like, in a way. Every time someone sets off a bomb or mows down a bunch of folks, it's "mental health problems in this country!" and there have to be so many therapists who are thinking there's been that kind of pressure on them -- "fix this budding killer." Like the general public is holding them hostage demanding they wave a magic wand.

I love Linda Emond so much, I'm hoping we get a ton of her in this.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I guess I like this show because I seriously considered staying up late last night to watch as it dropped. Watched over lunch and thought NOOO it’s over? Agree with everyone it’s too short.

Really hoping doctor Steve (can’t remember character name) can talk a serial killer out of killing but I doubt it.  I mean what’s the end game here he could never really let him go right? His kids and patients have to miss him by now is there a missing person manhunt happening? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AntFTW said:

So the serial killer kidnaps someone and just tosses them in the next room?

I guess we'll find out. But perhaps Sam is going to force the kidnapped guy to jointly go through therapy with him, maybe even putting pressure on Alan to resolve things ("if you're not able to mediate and help us work things out, then I'll kill him"). That may be what he thinks he's"learned" from Alan involving Sam's mom in sessions.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, SoWindsor said:

Why are these episodes so short?

No clue why but some sites are saying that the episodes will get longer as the season goes on.  The finale is listed with a 45 minute runtime. 

29 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

I guess we'll find out. But perhaps Sam is going to force the kidnapped guy to jointly go through therapy with him, maybe even putting pressure on Alan to resolve things ("if you're not able to mediate and help us work things out, then I'll kill him"). That may be what he thinks he's"learned" from Alan involving Sam's mom in sessions.

That’s a brilliant idea. Sam’s idea of couple’s therapy. 

So even if the Dr. escapes and can report the crime against himself, would the confessions of the other other murders by Sam be admissible due to doctor/patient confidentiality?  I guess they would execute a search warrant, discover the wallets and figure it out that way, but……I’m just curious about how the Dr. would assist in the prosecution of his patient.  It’s an interesting prospect.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
48 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So even if the Dr. escapes and can report the crime against himself, would the confessions of the other other murders by Sam be admissible due to doctor/patient confidentiality?  I guess they would execute a search warrant, discover the wallets and figure it out that way, but……I’m just curious about how the Dr. would assist in the prosecution of his patient.  It’s an interesting prospect.

I don’t know if there has been a real world example but I can’t see that doctor/patient confidentiality would still exist when the confession happened after the doctor was kidnapped. He really ceases to be Sam therapist once he is his hostage and can’t severe the patient client relationship. 

31 minutes ago, Dani said:

I don’t know if there has been a real world example but I can’t see that doctor/patient confidentiality would still exist when the confession happened after the doctor was kidnapped. He really ceases to be Sam therapist once he is his hostage and can’t severe the patient client relationship. 

Well…it’s an interesting issue.  It’s rather an odd occurrence.  I doubt there’s case law on it.  

I’m sort of glad that we don’t see the investigation into the missing men.  Hopefully, the police suspect it’s a disturbed patient who is responsible.  Sam is pretty confident that he’s covered his tracks, but still.  The Dr. is smarter than he is.  …………it just occurred to me….what if no one has reported the Dr, as missing?  I mean if there aren’t people expecting to see you everyday, who would know to report it?  He makes his own appointments, right?  No staff….no one checking on him everyday…….Man, that would be horrible.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I anxiously await to see how Alan uses the length of time Sam urinates to enact his vengeance. Because I don't think there's any way that act is not relevant since it occurs every episode and we have to hear every drop of his pee in the toilet. (And know that he doesn't wash his hands afterwards despite being a health inspector.)

On 9/14/2022 at 6:17 AM, Giant Misfit said:

(And know that he doesn't wash his hands afterwards despite being a health inspector.)

Interesting observation! Didn't pick up on that.

Count me as appreciating the length of the episodes. They're just long enough to say what they need to say and no longer. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1