Type keyword(s) to search

Junking, Picking, Salvaging

auntjess
  • Start Topic

I watch several of these shows, including Salvage Dawgs, and Garage Gold.
I'm getting pretty fed up with Kraig, on Garage Gold, for making the fat guy the butt of the jokes, and on the latest one, Tony slipped on the ice and broke a lamp, and Kraig was more concerned about the lamp.

• Love 1

The thing I really liked on Salvage Dawgs, was the end table made to display an album cover, and the fact that you could even change albums.

I had lots of albums before I moved, by gave them to a guy who was opening a vinyl store.

I'm not watching American Pickers so much any more, as it seemed always to be on, and I lost track.

• Love 1

I recently starting watching Junk Gypsies on GAC channel. I'm a thrift store shopper from way back (my mother taught me a lot)

Don't know which one is Amie or which one is Jolie but the sister with the blond hair is probably going for that 'sexy/messy' look but (to me) it just looks like she needs to comb her hair. lol

• Love 2

A new season of "Flea Market Flip" is just starting up on GAC.  It's been on a couple of other networks in the past.  Lara Spencer, apparently a network morning show host and obviously in desperate need of a bacon double cheeseburger or three, sends two teams of two players out in a country flea market with a few hundred bux to find old stuff, which they then spend a day sprucing up with the help of actually skilled professional craftspeople before they try to sell their finds at a big city flea market.  I keep watching this for some reason although most of the contestants are highly annoying - I guess to root against the more annoying team every week, and to marvel at the hideously ugly creations most teams seem to come up with and snark at the stupid rich people who buy them.  The first show of the new season last week was particularly strange, because the least annoying team was actually way ahead until they decided to sell two of their three items at a loss, which eroded their monetary advantage and caused them to lose in the end.  Is this Must See TV for anyone else here?

• Love 2

If a "new" season is showing up on GAC (owned by Scripps), it's most likely an old season from Scripps DIY channel. Last I saw they are still rerunning episodes on DIY. I watch it in passing on rare occasions, but no, it is not "must see TV". I have a feeling the show is not currently in production.

It's definitely on GAC now, last Sunday was definitely a newly produced episode and there is one on tap for tomorrow as well. Last week's was referred to as S04E01 and tomorrow's is S04E02.  When they got it GAC reran the first couple of seasons, but also added in some new episodes that I thought when I saw them were probably shot at the same time but not shown - there were a few where the initial flea shopping was at the Brimfield Flea in Massachusetts that I knew weren't shown the first time it ran, which may have been on HGTV or some other channel, I don't remember.  They referred to some of these as Season Three, if I remember right. In the Season Three episodes (but not the earlier ones) they stated that the teams got another $100 to buy extra materials for the renovation stage. 

I enjoyed Flea Market Flip at first but now the contestants seem to all be weirdos/fame whores. I'm so distracted by the utterly contrived Halloween costumes....er, I mean clothing....that I lose track of the flea market fun part. I also liked it better when the contestants did their own labor. 

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 2

Here's a good article on Salvage Dawgs, http://www.roanoke.com/arts_and_entertainment/tv/salvage-dawgs-makes-celebrities-of-black-dog-salvage-team/article_bda9bd07-b5ff-58b2-9f20-3b5055c9aca1.html.

Here's a fan quote that resonates with me, “These guys are my celebrities,” Bordeau said. “I don’t watch the Kardashians.”
This is how I am, and thrilled that my Facebook friends include several of "the trades" from Mike Holmes' shows.

• Love 3

I've just found and started watching Salvage Dawgs a couple of months ago on DIY. I really enjoy this show, it's usually on for several hours on Sunday afternoons when there is little else on as far as I concerned. I do not watch any major sports. I like the people on this show, I like many of the items they make, I like to see the homes and offices and misc. buildings from which they salvage things. And I think Greyson is one of the coolest names ever. Is she a daughter of one of the older men? I like watching her learn and take on things on her own. 

I'm sorry, but I dislike Barnwood Builders immensely. One of the first and only times I watched they were taking apart part of a church and spent too much time talking about that the members of the church could have done this and they just kept coming back to that through the entire show. I turned it off after that and have refused to watch, I'll choose Law & Order re-runs on WE or Sundance any time over this show.

• Love 1
On 11/12/2018 at 8:48 PM, friendperidot said:

And I think Greyson is one of the coolest names ever. Is she a daughter of one of the older men? I like watching her learn and take on things on her own. 

Grayson is not a daughter of Mike or Robert, but Mike also has a daughter Grace Whiteside, a glassblower, who's been on a few episodes.

• Love 2
On 1/23/2019 at 7:55 AM, Jeeves said:

Oh, yay! They're now filming Season 10 of Salvage Dawgs, to premiere in April. I still enjoy that show although some of their schtick is getting a little too familiar. But they're so articulate and personable that I'm not over them yet. 

I also really enjoy that show. I can’t believe how pricey their redone pieces are, though. I love that they salvage and recycle and respect historical pieces. And every show has its familiar schtick! I don’t mind theirs at all. It’s the schtick of folks like the Fixer Upper couple that wore thin on me after season 2.

• Love 1

I'm flipping through my over the air antenna channels, I don't really know what the channel is, it shows a big Q in a circle on the lower right hand side of the screen. Occasionally, I've found an auction show, I used to watch it on cable, don't remember what channel, but I always rather enjoyed it, Auction Kings. I have caught glimpses of Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters, I haven't stopped to watch whatever they're doing.

But tonight I've found a show called Backroads Bounty. I've watched a couple of episodes and enjoyed them. They don't do as much dickering over prices that Mike and Frank do, they don't devote entire episodes to looking at car, motorcycles and bicycle parts and oil cans. And the biggest plus is there is no Mike Wolf yammering endlessly about whatever he's yammering about today. I've basically stopped watching American Pickers because I'm so tired of Mike Wolf. These guys went to a farm that rescues farm animals, she had a lot of car stuff, her husband or father, I didn't quite get the back story did a lot of work on cars and built a vehicle based on Model A/T (I don't know or care the difference) that he wanted to break land records on the salt flats and he did. He started another vehicle. Mike would have never shut up. 

Ok, I saw a station id, and the channel is Quest. And Backroads Bounty is a Canadian show which is probably why Mike and Frank have never gotten to some of these places. And maybe because the money is in Canadian dollars, their prices are about or were about equal to the US dollar at the time.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2

Oh, joy! I "got up on the wrong side of the bed" as my grandmother would say. But for the last few hours my mood has been lifted because instead of tuning to the morning news? I found a long stretch of repeats of Salvage Dawgs running on the DIY network.

Thanks, DIY! I love those folks and that show. 

I suppose that once Chip and Joanna Gaines take over DIY next year, they'll probably axe the Dawgs. Who don't seem to be Jesus-y enough. 

OTOH I need to watch less TV. Maybe the final destruction of the DIY network will be the impetus for me to cut the cable cord once and for all. (Okay, even a few hours of the Dawgs haven't scrubbed all the grumps away, lol!! But really, I am feeling better, honest!)

https://adage.com/article/media/discoverys-diy-network-turn-chip-and-joanna-gaines-channel/2163986

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 2