Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: The Bigger The Better

• Start Topic

That chess knight was incredible, possibly one of the best pieces of the series, not just the day, and she should have had a solo win for it. 

The Olive was good, probably clearly second best of the 6, but not really worthy of a joint win. 

I hate that Grace was eliminated. Breakage happens so recovering from that is part of the game, and going short was a big part of it. But the Thimble and the Caramel corn were both worse IMO and should probably have been eliminated first. Especially if you consider the challenge of the shape. As noted, Glass does not do squares, and it certainly does not do cubes. 

• Like 4
  • Love 11

Yeah, this probably would have been a good time to do a no-elimination. If they weren't going to do that, though, I don't see how they possibly could have NOT eliminated Grace. While I totally agree that they have a lot of potential, and if things hadn't gone wrong, their piece would have almost certainly been better than the caramel corn and the thimble, they just didn't meet the challenge. Even if the dice had been big enough, it still had really glaring execution issues.

I was in absolutely awe of that chess knight, and it completely deserved a solo win.

• Love 3

This was the second time Grace had a piece fall off the end of that, um, pole thingy, right toward the end. Bummer. That amazing residency was a great consolation prize though. 

Saying thumbtack guy had the "biggest piece" was a bit of a stretch seeing as though half of the height was just the pin shaft sticking up. Thimble guy and popcorn were bad, but I felt for popcorn guy, cuz that was a really hard ask. 

Did not care for the guest judge in this one. Maybe I just have an immediate dislike of any "artist" who starts their sentences with.... "As an artist, I blah blah blah..." 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 1

The thimble, straight up, should have lost.  Blech.  It was ugly, and with the sloppy silver leaf could easily have been play dough covered with aluminum foil rather than glass.

Yes, the die failed on dimension and realistic rendition, but at least it was recognizable.  

The texture achieved on the olive must have been impressive indeed in perspective n to be on equal par with that chess piece.  That knight/horse was amazing

• Love 4
On 7/23/2022 at 11:15 AM, Taeolas said:

That chess knight was incredible, possibly one of the best pieces of the series, not just the day, and she should have had a solo win for it. 

I agree! I was pissed off that Minhi had to share the win....

• Like 1

I'm joining the chorus on Minhi deserving a solo win. The olive was well-crafted and appealing, but it wasn't nearly as complex a piece of sculpture as the chess knight. When execution is almost flawless in two competing pieces (and design concept isn't an issue), the win should go to the one that involved greater difficulty.

Likewise, that thimble was just awful. While I wasn't thrilled by the die's execution, it was done in a fraction of the allowed time due to the breakage and was still clearly a depiction of the object it was based upon, not some random object salvaged from a junkyard.

• Like 1