Type keyword(s) to search

S14.W13 (E60-E62): Grand Finale Week

• Start Topic

(edited)

MasterChef Australia: Fans & Faves

Week 13 (July 10-12, 2022)

E60:  Peter Gilmore’s Pressure Test

E61:  Semi Final - Service Challenge (with Shannon Bennett)

E62:  Grand Finale - A Brief Challenge + Heston Blumenthal's Taffety Tart Pressure Test

TOP 2:

1️⃣  Billie McKay (Fave)

2️⃣  Sarah Todd (Fave)

Daniel Lamble (Fan)

Keyma Vasquez Montero (Fan)

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

I honestly don't think I can be bothered to watch tonight's episode.  I knew Keyma was going to go so that the "rising star" of the cooking world, Daniel, could make top 3.  My only interest is what machinations they went through to make sure he went through tonight, so I'll see what I can find out from the recap.

Sarah should really be thankful of Billie watching out for her. If Billie didn't remind her to take out that plastic cover, she would have ruined 2 major elements of her Moo. And when Andy reminded her about the cream to be hand-whipped, it's kind of too late already.

I don't think Andy teaching Daniel on how to peel the walnut would really have an impact on him making thru to the semi final. Billie also has been so supportive from the gantry.

Jock's comment on Daniel's savory dish: "I think it tasted exactly like yours."

Andy's comment on Daniel's Moo dish: "It was pretty bloody close to yours."

I really think these comments were exaggerated. The way they were raving on and on about how good his dishes were, it's just ugh!

“I think from the outside, a lot of people see me and feel that things have been easy, I haven’t had NO said to me ever and it’s completely the opposite.” - Sarah Todd

giphy.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

A recipe cannot be illustrious, Mel.

Keyma, the detail-oriented engineer, spent her last two episodes failing to cook rice and failing to measure cream. By the way, did you know she was an engineer?

I don't want to trivialize anyone's experience of anxiety, but if Daniel was really held back from being his authentic self because he was worried he'd be considered "lame" for liking food . . . WTF??????????????? That just doesn't relate to any universe I've ever lived in.

Andy has now incorporated the incorrect usage of "traverse" into his vocabulary. Thanks, Mel.

I don't think I've ever noticed this, but the credits note that Andy's wardrobe is provided by Uniqlo, Zara, and Converse. So if anyone out there is looking to emulate his Where's Wally? Miami Vice! fashion, you can do it without breaking the bank!

Just two more insane episodes to traverse before we find out who the inherently illustrious winner is. I can't wait . . . for them to be over with.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Why did they give Daniel dish of the day with Peter's savoury course when they explicitly said his plating wasn't as nice as Sarah's and her savoury flavours were identical to Peter's? Wtf.

Andy helping Daniel peel his walnut. WTF?! Andy looking at Sarah putting in her second batch of cocoa tuiles into the oven and not saying anything about the plastic film on top. WTF!

Loved Billie tonight. She was supportive and gave meaningful tips to everyone like telling Sarah about the plastic on top of her tuiles. Not barking out the meaningless "You GOT THIS!!" phrase over and over.

Extra content: The judges were asked to reminisce about their favourite moments of the top 3 and Andy's favourite moment of Billie's was when she did the Kirsten Tibballs' pressure test because he saw how stressed and pushed to the extreme she was that he thought she deserved a semi-final place for that alone. FUCK OFF.

Top 3 service challenge. I love this challenge. Can't wait to see who crumbles tomorrow.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yupp, the judges purposely sent Billie to the Kirsten Tibballs’s pressure test.

Andy: “Billie is one of the most gifted cooks in this kitchen and she works like an absolute demon.”

🙌🏻💥😘

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

Incidentally, if you're wondering whether production still gives a shit about this show, they've announced what tomorrow night's pressure test is and it's one that's appeared on this show before. Twice.

• Mind Blown 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

YES! Finally he is out. OUT. 

I'm glad I managed to traverse tonight's episode in order to find this out.  This will sound mean but it was strangely satisfying watching Daniel fall to pieces tonight.  Without Shannon's spoon feeding he'd have stuffed up even worse.  I hope he learnt a valuable lesson i.e. don't believe your own overhyped, oversold publicity.  You are not and never were in the same league as Sarah and especially Billie.  Someday you might be but you have to go away and put in the hard yards.  

Daniel's apron was such a mess after a couple of hours that it looked like he'd murdered someone.  Exactly how many times now has he made some sort of cured fish dish? And for the love of God, can you and Sarah learn how to say PLEASE to the servers?  I know I'm an old fart but I can't help it - Billie managed to do it, so she didn't sound rude and arrogant.

And here's the recap.

The three enter the kitchen to wild applause from the assembled losers on the balcony. "They're just as excited as we are," says Jock dishonestly about the seething morass of personified jealousy standing above. The judges have come dressed in their best: Melissa cosplaying as Elizabeth Banks in The Hunger Games; Jock resplendent in a kilt of authentic Zonfrillo tartan; and Andy in clothes.

Sarah declares that her menu is inspired by the most inspirational person she's ever met: Sarah. She is fusing Indian and French flavours, for much the same reason a fish swims or a bird flies or Melissa Leong says "glossy".

I think Ben's gonna miss being snarky about Sarah!

Dan is working on his entrée, which requires him to take an enormous fish and make it smaller. Shannon demands to know what Dan is doing. Dan explains that he is going to make the big fish taste good. Shannon tells him that his entrée and main are too similar, as they both include fruit and fish. "If I'm a diner out there I'm wanting variation," says Shannon, conveniently ignoring the fact that he's NOT a diner out there; he's a pedantic ponytail man in here. 

Pedantic ponytail man! 😂

While Billie does weird things with mussels and broth, Dan works on building up a sweat. His t-shirt is thoroughly soaked and he feels confident that the sweat element of his meal will be strong. "We're pretty hungry," says Jock, "but we're nowhere neat as hungry as these guys," he adds, gesturing to the diners who are entering the kitchen having been held in a detention facility with no food for the last three weeks.

I know he probably can't help it but Dan was sweating so much during this episode, it was bordering on being a health hazard.

Sarah's main is lamb with a spinach puree, inspired by Sarah's travels in the mysterious East. Meanwhile Dan puts his fish on the hibachi. "You cannot stuff it up now," says Shannon, underestimating Dan's up-stuffing ability. The fish sticks to the hibachi. An eerie choir begins singing of fate and despair in the background, while Billie sends out her last mains, relieved that she no longer has to gaze upon the horrors she has wrought.

Yes, about that - isn't this about the third time Dan has tried to cook fish on the hibachi and had it stick to the grill really badly?  Talk about a slow learner.

Dan, having benefited from a total absence of assistance from Shannon, realises that he left his sorbet in the blast chiller. This means the sorbet is one solid block and unusable. Bits of fruit and pastry begin flying around the kitchen as Dan flails like a beached dugong. Somehow, via an unknown process, the caramel pineapple tartine goes out – without sorbet. "It's great on paper," says Andy, but sadly paper would've been tastier. The judges put on their best sad faces.

Billie for the win - PLEASE!

Edited by katisha
  • Love 5

After the cook when all 3 finalists are standing awaiting judgment, Sarah and Billie looked they are about to start cooking and Daniel looked like he just came in from fixing his tractor. I thought he must have run out to get oil from the engine to cook with. Anyhow, there was no hiding his mistakes tonite but it's such a shame so many cooks so much better than him were booted before him...and for what? Maybe they chose him for his looks but he was just a Gomer.

It was a good time watching the two women get through this cook...I couldn't believe that guest chef stuck his finger in Billie's mousse - now there's a real pro!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Finally! Bye Dan! You were out of your league and only got this far because the producers wanted a ‘bloke becomes a cook’ story arc.

When Shannon advises Dan that his entree and main were too similar… was that when the smokey paper bark became a component of one dish? Surely that wasn’t a last minute decision? Cos there was paper bark conveniently in the pantry? Did I miss something there? 

Billie for the win, please! I find Sarah too pretentious… but that might just be because I don’t like her fake affected accent. After hearing her poor single mum story (not dissing that at all… good on her mum being a tough cookie getting through that, truly) I am more sure that Sarah’s accent is fake. Not a fan of affectation. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, katisha said:

And for the love of God, can you and Sarah learn how to say PLEASE to the servers? Billie managed to do it, so she didn't sound rude and arrogant.

In the middle of late service and chaos, Sarah still has time to remind Daniel that she is more boujee than him. Only champagne for Sarah!🥂🤦🏻‍♀️

Daniel's apron was such a mess after a couple of hours that it looked like he'd murdered someone. 

The production team forgot to remind him about basic hygiene. He touched his sweaty face and hair, then he touched the foods. You’re in the semi final FGS! Yuck! 🤮 The diners who ate his foods must be feeling sick after watching this episode.

I hope he learnt a valuable lesson i.e. don't believe your own overhyped, oversold publicity. You are not and never were in the same league as Sarah and especially Billie. Someday you might be but you have to go away and put in the hard yards.  

He wants to be the next Hayden Quinn.

🙄🙄🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

He wants to be the next Hayden Quinn.

The problem is we already have a moderately skilled, supposedly hot bloke doing a food show on 10.  Do we really need another? (By the way, I don't find Hayden Quinn OR Daniel hot whatsoever).

• LOL 1
17 minutes ago, katisha said:

The problem is we already have a moderately skilled, supposedly hot bloke doing a food show on 10.  Do we really need another? (By the way, I don't find Hayden Quinn OR Daniel hot whatsoever).

He will be doing the “hot and sweaty” (🤮) firefighter version.

🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 1

Insane journeys. Insane belters. Insane kicks up the butt. Insane bloody ripper. How inherently good is that?

Shannon Bennett is not impressed by Daniel’s plans, which are shown in the form of a series of drunken napkin pick up lines accompanied by scribbles depicting great moments in archery and UFO invasion.

1507504872_fruitfish.thumb.jpg.cbfba9f6ee71220b511d3385f91873ed.jpg

Now Daniel is burning bark while Aldo screams “work it” and then Daniel accidentally creates a double bowl vacuum. If that sounds like a series of wildly inappropriate euphemisms, I agree and it isn’t.

Shannon to Daniel: “You need to make a series of changes to your menu and let me tell you exactly why.” Shannon to Billie: “Insane mousse, dude.” Shannon to Sarah: “I wish I could help you.” Yes, this is clearly an even playing field without anything even remotely smacking of favoritism.

The entree judging is so rock paper fucked up I’m honestly ready for Matt Preston to come back wearing a polka dot muumuu and throwing plates on the ground.

During the 75 minutes devoted to the judges trashing Billie’s duck, I had three beers and I have now traversed the liminal space between tipsy and inherently insanely drunk.

I love how Saint Julie of Goodwin is basically like, “Daniel and Sarah aren’t on time so they can kiss my hagiographic ass. I’ll come down there from heaven/the gantry and finish in the top two of this episode!!!!!!!”

I hope Billie’s dessert makes Reynold completely irrelevant to this show and he is never shown or mentioned again. Sarah’s undercooked pears have left the door open. (That resonates with me a lot because I often use an undercooked pear as a doorstop.) Shannon Bennett has stopped pretending to be a neutral mentor and spent the last 2/3 of the challenge telling Daniel how to be less of a disaster. And I just opened another beer.

Now that the judges REALLY have no excuse to judge Billie by a different standard, she'll win, yes? Or not? I don't know at this point. Inherent illustrious insane traversal and so forth--

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Aerobicidal said:

Shannon to Daniel: “You need to make a series of changes to your menu and let me tell you exactly why.” Shannon to Billie: “Insane mousse, dude.” Shannon to Sarah: “I wish I could help you.” Yes, this is clearly an even playing field without anything even remotely smacking of favoritism.

You could probably even call it "agendaism" rather than "favouritism" because, having decided on a fucked up format in the first place, the producers have to make it look like it worked when it so clearly did not. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Finally! Dan is out!!!!!!!!

You just knew that if Daniel had an edible sorbet on the plate, Billie would have went home. The judges were already starting to spin Daniel's main as being a good course minus the fish skin.

Not Billie's finest work. She was lucky Daniel made two rookie errors. Her time management was off this time. She self-sabotaged by trying to do too many elements for dessert and that impacted the rest of her dishes. If she had maybe one or two less elements on dessert, she would have the time to cook the duck perfectly and perhaps balance the entree with more time. Her Lamington dish looked really good though.

Sarah sacrificed being late in making sure her dishes were presentable and balanced. She chose the right strategy because every time, being late doesn't count in a service challenge. I liked her scampi dish.

Seeing Billie and Sarah book their places in the top 2 is a nice feeling after all of the questionable judging this season. I'm really happy that 2 of my top 3 actually made it to the finale. Onto Heston!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

💥🥳🎉🍾🎊👏🏻🥂

Our MasterChef Australia 2022 winner!

Congratulations Billie McKay! You’ve done it again!

💕💕💕

Billie is in a league of her own, really! 😘

FB661AE5-5B29-48A5-A46F-F4357B92D23A.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

All hail Queen Billie! What a star! I love that she's such a perfectionist and that's really what won the game for her tonight. And her daughter is adorable ❤️

Shallow note - I didn't like Mel's dress much tonight.  That netting over the top reminded me too much of the nets that we Aussies put over food when trying to avoid bugs whilst having an outdoor picnic in summer!

Final Fans v Favourite recap!

Jock explains the nature of today's challenge. In round one of two, the cooks can choose between a mystery box with nine random ingredients, a brief that they have to cook to, or a cloche with one or two random ingredients that they must feature in their dish. Given first choice of which to remove, Billie eliminates the mystery box. Sarah eliminates the cloche. Therefore both must cook to the brief, which is:

Cook a dish that is both SWEET and SAVOURY. Like, for example, a shepherd's pie filled with M&Ms, or an ice cream cake haggis.

Now, see, Billie and Sarah didn't try hard enough.  Why didn't they do a shepherd's pie filled with M&Ms?  Daniel would have! 😂

Meanwhile Sarah explains that in her dish she wants to show her two loves: French techniques and Indian flavours; although by this stage it's possible that she just says that as an involuntary reflex. If Sarah went half an hour without mentioning French techniques and Indian flavours it'd be cause for an MRI.

🤣

And so to round two, where the grand finale brings out its big gun: Heston Blumenthal bursts into the kitchen like a manic goblin, light gleaming off his head, arms waving muppet-style. Blumenthal is the man who revolutionised cooking by making it not only incomprehensible, but also unaffordable. He proved that it is possible to make a thing look like a different thing, and that with sufficient shamelessness you can put literally any disgusting substance into ice-cream and people will eat it.

Hmm, maybe Heston has a lot to answer for.

Sarah also takes her pastry out of the oven. It's a terrible disgusting molten mess. "I don't know what to do," Sarah says. Briefly she considers making a curry out of it. But suddenly, from the balcony, Mindy offers some advice. "Come on, girl!" she yells, and Sarah realises what she needs to do: she needs to come on. She cuts out pieces of her terrible pastry and moves on.

If only making a curry out of it would have helped!

And that's a wrap, folks.  There aren't many of us in the thread these days but as always, I have enjoyed the snark.  I wonder what the gimmick will be next year?  Maybe there won't be one and they'll just go back to a much fairer season of all amateur cooks next time?  Who knows? 

Edited by katisha
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Here's my inherently glossy wish list for next season:

-No gimmicky casting concepts (fans v faves, men v women, adults v children, bartenders v baristas, etc.)

-If Marco Pierre White has to be on it, cram as many of his batshit-incoherent comments as possible into the episode(s)

-No mention of Reynold or Justin 

-All new overly (mis)used words and phrases 

-The main challenge in the finale is not a dessert

If I didn't watch the show, I'd think the last one is the most realistic, but in reality it certainly isn't.

I'm happy for Billie, but I would have been happy for Sarah, too.

Thanks for posting and reading the comments here. I enjoyed it. 

• Love 3

Keyma was robbed of that $20,000 they gave to Daniel. I'm sure he's a nice bloke off camera but his presence so far into the season robbed so many other chefs. What a slap in the face for Keyma. Let's hope he fades into oblivion very soon.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

GOAT Billie! What an amazing end to a horrible season. I hope the producers realize that the Season 5-esque x vs. x format doesn't work.

Billie received very generous scores in round 1. Does it make up for all the crap that the judges put her through this entire season? No. Maybe next time they shouldn't break people down and reduce them to tears to level the playing field. Disgusting tactics from them.

Billie showed why she is the Masterchef. Perseverance, attention to detail, accuracy and quickness was what led to her 2nd title. Not to mention her humanistic qualities with her kindness and humbleness shining through each challenge. She embodies what a true Masterchef is.

I had an inkling that Jock preferred Sarah over Billie and that was confirmed today. Jock gave Billie a 9 while Sarah got an 8 for the Heston finale dish and 17 points vs. 16 in favour of Sarah over the two courses.

Heston looked like he had a stroke or COVID or even COVID-induced stroke. Poor guy. I hope he is ok.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Semi final: I wish Shannon would stop stressing Daniel out, cuz every time he fooks up, he runs his fingers through his hair and then touches food. Even WORSE, when he thinks he has come up with a solution, he starts doing jazz snaps. Unbearable!

Final: They jerk Billie around all season, then over-score her for unset panna cotta. OMG, she's FINALLY on the right side of the producers agenda which is now (since Daniel's semi performance could not be saved) to have Billie repeat! It's okay, she's earned it! But let's face it, she has had enough of this shit and is headed right back to the farm. Enjoy, Billie!

• Like 2
(edited)
On 7/12/2022 at 10:52 PM, katisha said:

And that's a wrap, folks.  There aren't many of us in the thread these days but as always, I have enjoyed the snark.  I wonder what the gimmick will be next year?  Maybe there won't be one and they'll just go back to a much fairer season of all amateur cooks next time?  Who knows? 

I promise I'll try and be back next year; last year I was barely clinging on through my frustrations with the show (and basically only got through it because: Melissa Leong), but this year's theme felt like a cynical approach to try and recreate the magic of Back to Win, as though Ten decided the one thing that suddenly doubled the show's ratings was the returning contestants instead of, say, the novelty factor of the new judges or the show suddenly trying new challenges for the first time in years or the fact that most of the country was in lockdown right when it was airing and it was the last bastion of normality at a crazy time. And, like, even if that wasn't a strategic misfire, the problem is almost all of the people anyone wanted to see that the show could have conceivably gotten back were already on that season so this felt like "a bunch of new nobodies vs a bunch of old nobodies, plus Julie". Like, two years ago, we had Poh and Chris and Callum and Hayden and Amina and Emilia and (sigh) Reynold and Harry and Khanh and Reece and... meanwhile, this year, like... Aldo? John? Christina? Nobody was unironically excited about anyone except the winners and maybe Alvin returning, you know?

Edited by SnideAsides

The judges have got it totally wrong. This show is definitely not about the “best dish”. It’s about the dish first and foremost with no mistakes. You are rewarded for cooking the most simple dish. Complex dishes only increase your chance of making some mistake no matter how small and as soon as you do you are not in the running. Have seen amazing dishes which are far and away the best dishes fail for this reason. Even when they taste amazing and are well balanced and so on. lol it’s a joke. Bring back the previous team. They were not so naive.

Even in one of the first episodes the favs cooked a very complex desert made up of four amazing small deserts on a plate. The fans cooked a really simple dish with just two elements. One of the small deserts in the favs dish had a really small mistake. The fans dish of only two elements did not have a mistake. There dish won. Lol The favs dish was far and away the best dish. There was no comparison. This show is no longer a real competition.

Edited by MarkEaston

And why do the judges give Billie such a hard time. I just don’t get it. She is the best there and consistently performs displaying amazing technique. But the judges just dump on her. 

And finally how on earth did Daniels simple dish knock out Julie with her amazing desert (even with a slightly and partially burnt bottom).