Type keyword(s) to search

The Black Phone (2021)

Laurie4H
  • Start Topic

I saw this last night and really, really enjoyed it. It was very intense. The young actress playing the sister was a stand out - though every one of the actors was terrific. Well worth seeing!

• Love 1

This was a very King-like story and considering the author, looks like the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

The only problem I had was the cops took Gwen's visions a little too seriously for normal cops. I guess by that time they were pretty desperate.

I really liked this.   The children were both excellent (watch Finn's face when he's in the cellar, going from terrified to determined to REALLY pissed off).    Loved the sister "fuck you, Jesus" - I LOL'd - and the sibling bond.   The father was an asshole and had one of the most awful scenes in the movie BUT I did like seeing him drive his daughter around, looking for Finn, when he wanted to be in denial about her dreams.   Ethan Hawke was very good too - he had to do a lot of acting with his eyes only.   And that voice! So creepy.

I wouldn't say it's a terrifying movie, more like incredibly tense.

"It's for you" "Finn's arm is MINT!"  I haven't cheered that much at a movie in a while.

• Love 3

I finally buckled down and watched this this past weekend and thought it was very good in spite of my increasing distaste for bloody horror movies as I've gotten older. I've wanted see this the minute I heard about it as it as a very intriguing premise and it didn't let me down. The child actors were excellent, especially the sister, as was Ethan Hawke as the killer. I'm sure there were holes you could drive a truck through, but that didn't take away from the tension of the story

I think I watched this before there was a thread here for it. I thought it was great too. The kid was clever once he stopped freaking out about the phone and used the information to his advantage. I thought it was a lucky break that Hawke freaked out when his face was uncovered, but I'll take it. 

I couldn't figure out that the house was across the street because I thought the girl was just hoping she was seeing something. 

Just the right length to keep me riveted.