Type keyword(s) to search

Blueprinted in the Media

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Ashleigh Murray To Star In ‘Tom Swift’, Joining Tian Richards In the CW’s ‘Nancy Drew’ Spinoff

Not really relevant, but the Nancy Drew spinoff, Tom Swift, has added Ashleigh Murray (Josie McCoy from Riverdale and Katy Keene).

Ashleigh-Murray-cropped.jpg?w=681&h=383&

Ashleigh Murray will play Zenzi Fullerton, efficient and effervescent, but nobody’s fool. She’s been Tom’s best friend since childhood and considers him family – and she’s one of the few people who can keep up with Tom and read him for "filth" (I have no idea what that means) when necessary.

Co-created by Melinda Hsu Taylor, Noga Landau and Cameron Johnson, Tom Swift follows the serialized adventures of its titular gay, billionaire inventor (Tian Richards) who is thrust into a world of sci-fi conspiracy and unexplained phenomena after the shocking disappearance of his father. Tom takes to the road on a quest to unravel the truth, leaving behind the comforts of his usual moneyed lifestyle, all while fighting to stay one step ahead of an Illuminati-scale group hell-bent on stopping him. Tom’s missions will require his genius and flair for innovation guided by love, romance, friendship and the mysteries of the universe yet-unsolved.

On 2/7/2022 at 4:41 PM, AnimeMania said:

Not really relevant, but the Nancy Drew spinoff, Tom Swift, has added Ashleigh Murray

I'm so glad Tom Swift continues to move forward. The CW isn't always great at following through with spin-offs (Jody and Donna from Supernatural, Birds of Prey) so I keep expecting this one to just go away. 

• Love 1

‘Tom Swift’: Marquise Vilsón, April Parker Jones & Albert Mwangi Round Out Series Regular Cast On CW Series

Marquise-Vilso%CC%81n-April-Parker-Jones

(L-R)   Marquise Vilsón,    April Parker Jones,    Albert Mwangi

Not really relevant, but the Nancy Drew spinoff, Tom Swift, has added: 

Marquise Vilsón will play Isaac Vega, Tom’s bodyguard – trans, pansexual and a consummate badass. His simmering feelings for Tom will never get in the way of his duty and loyalty.

April Parker Jones will play Lorraine Swift, Tom’s mother. Debutante royalty with a kind heart. Her relationship with Tom is close and loving until the aftermath of his father’s disappearance begins to drive a wedge between them.

Albert Mwangi will play Rowan. A member of the security detail for a Congressman in Tom’s orbit, Rowan’s steely demeanor hides his mysterious past – and his star-crossed interest in Tom.

• Love 1

Breeda Wool Joins Disney+’s ‘National Treasure’; The CW’s ‘Tom Swift’ Casts Ward Horton

102394-15.jpeg

Not really relevant, but the Nancy Drew spinoff, Tom Swift, has added: 

Ward Horton in a recurring role as Congressman Nathan Eskol, a self-assured, charismatic, shrewd powerbroker and longtime friend of the Swift family. He’s a respected and progressive politician with a hidden agenda that will complicate Tom’s life. 

• Useful 1

TOM_S1_1920x1080_gqzxd1qd.jpg

The TV Series Tom Swift is set to appear on The CW on  May 31 at 9:00 PM. This latest version of Tom Swift was first introduced on The CW TV Series Nancy Drew, Season 2, Episode 15, "The Celestial Visitor". The show has already been renewed for a Second Season.
FR2efAqWYAMv8yT?format=jpg&name=900x900

Like the Nancy Drew books, the Tom Swift book series hails from Stratemeyer Syndicate, which also publishes the Hardy Boys and Bobbsey Twins books.

The Tom Swift book series first began to be published in 1910 and encompasses more than 100 volumes. The books have been translated into many languages and have sold more than 30 million copies worldwide. There have been multiple attempts to adapt Tom Swift into live action, with the only successful adaptation being a 1983 television special, The Tom Swift and Linda Craig Mystery Hour.

Co-created by Melinda Hsu Taylor, Noga Landau and Cameron Johnson, Tom Swift follows the serialized adventures of its titular gay, exceptionally brilliant, billionaire inventor (Tian Richards) who is thrust into a world of sci-fi conspiracy and unexplained phenomena after the shocking disappearance of his father. Tom takes to the road on a quest to unravel the truth, leaving behind the comforts of his usual moneyed lifestyle, all while fighting to stay one step ahead of an Illuminati-scale group hell-bent on stopping him. Tom’s missions will require his genius and flair for innovation guided by love, romance, friendship and the mysteries of the universe yet-unsolved.

Tom-Swift-featured.jpg

Levar Burton voices the A.I., Barclay.
tss1-s1-tianr-qc-0193r.jpg?auto=webp&wid
Tian Richards plays Tom Swift.

tss1-s1-ashleighm-qc-0059r.jpg?auto=webp

Ashleigh Murray will play Zenzi Fullerton, efficient and effervescent, but nobody’s fool. She’s been Tom’s best friend since childhood and considers him family – and she’s one of the few people who can keep up with Tom and read him for "filth" (I have no idea what that means) when necessary.

tss1-s1-marquisev-qc-0191r.jpg?auto=webp

Marquise Vilsón will play Isaac Vega, Tom’s bodyguard – trans, pansexual and a consummate badass. His simmering feelings for Tom will never get in the way of his duty and loyalty.

tss1-s1-aprilpj-qc-0106r.jpg?auto=webp&w

April Parker Jones will play Lorraine Swift, Tom’s mother. Debutante royalty with a kind heart. Her relationship with Tom is close and loving until the aftermath of his father’s disappearance begins to drive a wedge between them. Lorraine wants Tom to take his place as a Black Society Elite in his father’s absence, a request driven more by  her own deep secrets and motives.

Donovin Miller will play Lino, Tom's cousin and adopted brother. Lino is a gifted athlete with easygoing charm, who remains quietly troubled by the secrets surrounding his biological parents disappearance.

Ward Horton will play Congressman Nathan Eskol, a self-assured, charismatic, shrewd powerbroker and longtime friend of the Swift family. He’s a respected and progressive politician with a hidden agenda that will complicate Tom’s life. 

tss1-s1-albertm-qc-0238r.jpg?auto=webp&w

Albert Mwangi will play Rowan. A member of the security detail for a Congressman in Tom’s orbit, Rowan’s steely demeanor hides his mysterious past, his hidden motivations and his undeniable chemistry with Tom.

(edited)

From the red carpet at ATX TV Festival yesterday (Tom Swift had a producer/cast panel, but I haven't found video of it yet)....

Q&A with Tian Richards (Tom Swift) from the ATX TV Festival Season 11 Red Carpet
kyooltube   Jun 3, 2022

Tian Richards on ATX Television Festival red carpet | FOX 7 Austin
FOX 7 Austin    Jun 3, 2022

Ashleigh Murray on ATX Television Festival red carpet | FOX 7 Austin

Q&A with Albert Mwangi (Tom Swift) from the ATX TV Festival Season 11 Red Carpet
kyooltube   Jun 3, 2022

Albert Mwangi on ATX Television Festival red carpet | FOX 7 Austin

Marquise Vilson on ATX Television Festival red carpet | FOX 7 Austin

Edited by tv echo
7 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

Wow, that ax dropped fast - according to Deadline, Tom Swift has been cancelled by the CW.

[Wish we still had the regular 'surprise' reaction emoji]

The article doesn't make it clear whether the rest of the season will air; but future episode listings are still up, so looks like they will for now.

I wasn't expecting this to get renewed, but this news could have waited until the show was done, or almost done.

• Love 1

I think the cast's options expired today, so they had to make a decision about renewing the show and renewing the cast's options, or canceling it and letting the cast go.  Whether the decision was announced publicly vs. only known to the people involved in the show is maybe a different story, but it would have been obvious if any of the series regulars were cast in something else between now and when the show finishes airing, if that's when they waited to announce the cancelation.

CBS Studios could probably also try to renew the cast's options while shopping the show around, TBD if it would find another home, but that news would make it clear that the show had been cancelled by the CW.

Yeah I hope they air the rest of the episodes. It was a bad look announcing the cancellation on the last day of Pride Month.

If CBS is shopping the show around, does that mean they don't even want to air it on Paramount+?

According to the listings, this only has 10 episodes for it's first only season. Was it always supposed to be ten? or did the order get cut down? (Unexpectedly?) Because the typical number is 13. I'm just wondering how many storylines will get some type of resolution by the finale. The main one that I really care about is Tom rescuing his father.

5 hours ago, Trini said:

According to the listings, this only has 10 episodes for it's first only season. Was it always supposed to be ten? or did the order get cut down? (Unexpectedly?) Because the typical number is 13. I'm just wondering how many storylines will get some type of resolution by the finale. The main one that I really care about is Tom rescuing his father.

I have it in my notes as being 13 episodes, we will see what happens.

• Useful 1