Type keyword(s) to search

S02:E09 Backyard Brawl-B-Q

• Start Topic

Hawaii, 1984: On the day of the Brawl-B-Q, Rocky's relationship with partner Tony Atlas hits a breaking point. Dewey becomes the object of multiple school crushes. The extortion case against Lia reaches its conclusion.

Guest Stars
Sarah Gattellari as Miss Elizabeth
Wayne Mattei as Sgt. Slaughter
Benjamin Arthur as Jake "The Snake"
Jade Drane as "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
Luke Reynolds as Hillbilly Jim
Brett Azar as Iron Sheik
U4S7NHCD3NBSFC5RXHRXKCBLYY.jpg
ZIWIBG6WEZHPHFRIXXLGAPPZ54.jpg

• Love 1
(edited)

First off, I'm loving the nuanced look at Rocky through all three stories this season. Second, Joseph Lee Anderson and Stacey Leilua are giving incredible performances this year. I'm hoping this opens some doors for them.

Thankfully Dwayne and Randall were able to provide the comic relief, but this was a really enjoyable emotional episode.

I never though "Young Rock" would be must see tv for me. But I am genuinely excited for it each week.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

First off, I'm loving the nuanced look at Rocky through all three stories this season. Second Joseph Lee Anderson and Stacey Leilua are giving incredible performances this year. I'm hoping this opens some doors for them.

Thankfully Dwayne and Randall were able to provide the comic relief, but this was a really enjoyable emotional episode.

I never though "Young Rock" would be must see tv for me. But I am genuinely excited for it each week.

Same!  I really enjoy how well crafted each episode is, and the three versions of younger Rock are just amazing in those roles. The entire cast is awesome.   I hope they get a 3rd season!. 

• Love 5
(edited)

As soon as we saw Andre at the bar, I knew Greg Yao was done for.  Definitely heard/read stories about how much alcohol Andre could put away and still function, so there was no way Greg would be able to even come close to matching him.  Looks like that little trick helped Lia get a not guilty verdict, but it certainly sounds like the FBI aren't just going to give up.

I find Rocky and his reactions to Tony's popularity an interesting story, because I feel like its a pretty common theme with tag teams, where one of the duo will take off for whatever reason, while the other might still find success but never quite matches the other.  Sometimes the reasons are more obvious like one having more charisma or looks/a presence about him, but there are times where I can remember thinking that the "less" famous one was actually a better wrestler.  The business can be a tricky one!

Glad that Ata's storylines went over well and even seemed to impress Lia.

Liked them going into the cheat meal stuff that Dwayne is famous for!  Looks good, but probably is a lot to take in, judging from Randall's looks at the end.  Also loved Randall rocking an "Aquaman 3" shirt.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

The second Andre showed up at the bar, Greg Yao was toast, no way could he get even close to keeping up with him, I have definitely heard stories about Andre's insane alcohol tolerance. Looks like Lia is free for now, but the FBI is still watching her. She's probably not helping by telling the FBI to kill themselves. 

This season's exploration of Rocky and Dwayne's complicated feelings for him have been something really interesting to explore this season. I thought his story in this one was really interesting, you know that feeling like he's falling behind his partner, who he already isn't a huge fan of, would really eat at him. Dwayne clearly loves his dad and can see with hindsight why he did a lot of the things that he did, but this season has really gone into what a flawed person he was underneath his larger than life persona and that, while he usually meant well, he did end up hurting his family with his lack of impulse control and irresponsibility.

I know I've said this a million times, but the casting on this show is so great. The three Dawne's can all carry an episode, the guys playing the wrestlers clearly really get the vibes of the people they're playing, and the supporting cast is doing great work, especially this season with more dramatic stories.

• Love 7