Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Day 46/26

• Start Topic

Now that they’ve expelled an alleged criminal from their ranks, the boys clash over how much mercy to show him.Ivan’s past choices back home have impacted his life and those around him. Over on the girls’ island, Leah’s mind starts playing tricks on her, while Martha’s past comes back to haunt her in a catastrophic way.

Premiere date: May 6, 2022

Oh no, poor Martha. That would mess me up, too, and I don't even have her history.

I sympathize with Josh, because what Seth did to him was awful, but I still can't stand him. He gets the slightest bit of power and he immediately starts bullying people he thinks of as weaker. Banish the sexual assaulter, absolutely. I'd do the same thing. But you can't sentence him to (probable) death, and you definitely can't sentence anyone who shows the slightest bit of mercy to probable death, either.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

Oh no, poor Martha. That would mess me up, too, and I don't even have her history.

I expect that scene will haunt me. The scene was lit so that I couldn’t explicitly see what she did, but it’s my take she ended the mama and the babies so that they would not suffer without a parent. Please feel free to correct me if I didn’t get the right take on this scene. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

Do we know what the premise was for the boy's retreat?  We know the girls were heading to a spa type environment in Hawaii, but where did the boys think they were going?  It seems they have a lot of camping stuff - their shelter seems to be made of tents and similar coverings, one boy has a water filter, they have pocket knives, fleece jackets, etc.  Was their retreat a camping environment?

The reason I ask is that in a prior episode one of the researchers had made a comment about the boys and girls' islands having equal obstacles, or something to that effect.  And then in this ep or the one prior, the female researcher commented about how the boys are ahead of the girls in some respects.  But, it seems the boys are way better equipped for being stranded than the girls were.  And did the girls have a "discovery" of a stash of food and supplies (not to mention a potential shelter/animal trap) like the bunker the boys found?  I don't remember that - I just remember a planted duffel bag with medical supplies at one point.  So it seems to me that the boys have been given advantages that the girls weren't.  Am I just imagining all this?  Projecting my biases, maybe? 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, chaifan said:

The reason I ask is that in a prior episode one of the researchers had made a comment about the boys and girls' islands having equal obstacles, or something to that effect.  And then in this ep or the one prior, the female researcher commented about how the boys are ahead of the girls in some respects.  But, it seems the boys are way better equipped for being stranded than the girls were.  And did the girls have a "discovery" of a stash of food and supplies (not to mention a potential shelter/animal trap) like the bunker the boys found?  I don't remember that - I just remember a planted duffel bag with medical supplies at one point.  So it seems to me that the boys have been given advantages that the girls weren't.  Am I just imagining all this?  Projecting my biases, maybe? 

No you're 100% right on the advantages the boys have had that the girls haven't. I guess you could make the argument that the girls got some of the debris from the plane, but they definitely didn't get a bunker full of food or abandoned fishing nets. I had the same thought during that conversation, the girls got nothing while the boys got a lot. (And even when they got the medical supplies I believe, although could be wrong, it was only after something happened and they needed medical supplies. AND the boys had all of Josh's meds so it seems like they got more suitcases than the girls did.) I do wonder if Gretchen and her team didn't know the food bunker was there. I could see that since it was covered over her team never discovered it. Or conversely did the girls' island have a mysterious food bunker the girls never knew about and never found. 

Another advantage the boys had that the girls didn't (although I suppose Dot was supposed to be this role) was they had an actual Boy Scout in the group. They train for this kind of thing. I know Dot watched all the survival shows with her dad and maybe before his illness went out and did activities like that, but I can't remember how long he had been sick so it was likely it was at least a year or two since she last used any of those skills. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

No you're 100% right on the advantages the boys have had that the girls haven't. I guess you could make the argument that the girls got some of the debris from the plane, but they definitely didn't get a bunker full of food or abandoned fishing nets. I had the same thought during that conversation, the girls got nothing while the boys got a lot. (And even when they got the medical supplies I believe, although could be wrong, it was only after something happened and they needed medical supplies. AND the boys had all of Josh's meds so it seems like they got more suitcases than the girls did.) I do wonder if Gretchen and her team didn't know the food bunker was there. I could see that since it was covered over her team never discovered it. Or conversely did the girls' island have a mysterious food bunker the girls never knew about and never found. 

Another advantage the boys had that the girls didn't (although I suppose Dot was supposed to be this role) was they had an actual Boy Scout in the group. They train for this kind of thing. I know Dot watched all the survival shows with her dad and maybe before his illness went out and did activities like that, but I can't remember how long he had been sick so it was likely it was at least a year or two since she last used any of those skills. 

They did, but it seems odd Gretchen would stack the deck because she wanted the boys to fail. Why would she give them extra supplies? I think she didn't know about the bunker of food. I remember one of the boys mentioning Hawaii, so I think they thought they were going to the same place and just packed different stuff?

Also, the boys had the jaguar to deal with. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I remember one of the boys mentioning Hawaii, so I think they thought they were going to the same place and just packed different stuff?

I kind of wondered if it wasn't sold as different things to different people for both the girls and the boys. Like it seemed for Dot it was going to be a retreat to 'reward' her for all her hard work with her father, but I think for Fatine, Shelby and maybe Toni it was more a punishment kind of situation. Seems the same way for the guys. Like for Bo and his friend whose name I still don't know it seemed to be a consequence for their destruction of the house, but for Josh it was billed as a wilderness retreat to "toughen him up."  Was Gretchen's son supposed to be the boys' adult like Jeanette was for the girls? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

It seems so, yes. DJ was the Jeanette and Seth was the Nora.

But Jeanette died unexpectedly.  Weren't these two "experiments" running at the same time, even though we've seen them separately?  If so, how did they come up with an immediate plan (and body to mutilate) to get DJ off the boys' island? 

• Love 2

They mentioned in one of the episodes how the boys had already developed food preservation even though the girls had been on their island for a longer time.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

They mentioned in one of the episodes how the boys had already developed food preservation even though the girls had been on their island for a longer time.

Since the girls' "adult" was murdered, they decided to kill off the boys' "adult"?  Some things about this show make absolutely no sense. And I'm not 100% positive I believe they have a clear plan. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Since the girls' "adult" was murdered, they decided to kill off the boys' "adult"?  Some things about this show make absolutely no sense. And I'm not 100% positive I believe they have a clear plan. 

I get that from an experiment standpoint they need to make things as equal as possible, so if no "adult" on one island, none on the other.  In that case, I think it would have been easier just to have DJ "not survive" the plane crash.  But, I suppose, if the girls had to deal with the death of their adult, then again, to make things equal, the same would need to happen for the boys. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, chaifan said:

But Jeanette died unexpectedly.  Weren't these two "experiments" running at the same time, even though we've seen them separately?  If so, how did they come up with an immediate plan (and body to mutilate) to get DJ off the boys' island? 

The names of the episodes in season two refer to the number of days each group (girls/boys) has been on their respective island. So, episode 1 is 30/1, which means the boys got stranded when the girls had already been there for 30 days. And they don't even run parallel from that point on. This one , for example, is 46/26, so 16 days have passed for the girls and 26 for the boys.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 5/7/2022 at 9:43 PM, Cranberry said:

I sympathize with Josh, because what Seth did to him was awful, but I still can't stand him. He gets the slightest bit of power and he immediately starts bullying people he thinks of as weaker.

Hard same. Thank you for putting this into words.

Good to see some growth in Ivan.

I have to add something further here.

Ivan, Ivan, Ivan.

Do you have any idea how many people knew something about someone back when certain activities were illegal, and everybody, from politicians to priests to psychiatrists to the police would have assured anyone asking that what they were doing was not only immoral and wrong, but an illness that should be treated through God knows what means.

I was personally acquainted with someone who was in the military police, who walked in on some shenanigans, at a time when this was of course not only outlawed in the military, but was against the actual law. This was at the time when gay men remained imprisoned in the concentration camps as the others were let free, because the gay men had been convicted in a "court of law".

I don't think it even occurred to him to turn him in.

Morality and laws change. Basic human decency is forever.

People, Ivan, who do what you did are not on the right side of history. They are one the side of the Inquisition, the Salem witch trials, anybody who has ever gone after anybody for the smallest perceived error, who have such a vision of the perfect world that they are willing to burn people at the stake to make it happen.

Edited by Bellatrix