Type keyword(s) to search

Under The Banner Of Heaven - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 7/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, Hava said:

I watched this series after watching Keep Sweet. Surprisingly, I am less interested in the extremist factions of Mormonism, and more interested in learning more about mainstream Mormonism. I think I get what the extremists believe (as much as someone can get things like that), but I am having a really hard time wrapping my head around the mainstream beliefs. Like, I really don't get it. It seems like they are a part of mainstream American society, but also not. And they are a part of mainstream Christianity, but also not. 

The main issue with Mormons and other mainstream Christians is Joseph Smith who Mormons view as a prophet and other Christians do not.  Smith claimed to have been visited by an angel named Moroni who told him that there were Israelites who came to N America in ancient times and brought Christianity here.   Moroni told him where to find golden tablets which contained the  Book of Mormon, the story of these ancient people.  This is a huge part of their faith but plays no part whatsoever in the faith of other  Christians.  This is obviously a huge stumbling block to Mormonism becoming thought of as mainstream.  I don't see any way that modern mainstream Christian groups can ever accept the Book of Mormon as God's word.

There are also theological differences such as Mormons not believing in the holy trinity but, instead the Father, Son and Holy Ghost being separate entitiies.

Edited by Notabug
  • Love 3

Just finished my two-night binge. I thought it was very well done with top- notch performances. 

I interpreted Jeb’s crises of faith to be less about fundamental Mormon groups but about his discovery that he had just accepted Mormon history and tenets as de rigueur.   Discovering that there were numerous sources disputing their claims was jarring. Apparently, he had never thought about questioning and when he did ask questions, he was quickly reminded to get back in line. 

Even though Jeb is a fictional character, suspect we can all think of our own or others’ instances of faith crises. 

• Like 2

Watched the last episode a few days ago and it was really good. Although Brenda's murder was really brutal and hard to watch. 

I liked the ending with Geb though and how it was kind of ambiguous about how much Mormon stuff he would accept going forward. Because the Mormon leadership people keep coming to him, and asking him to compromise his investigation, even though the killers were still on the lose and actual faithful Mormons were at risk, was super messed up. 

Also super interested in how the Lafferty family where chiropractors. Based on what I know about that practice it's interesting how similar it is to Mormonism. Both were founded in the 1800's by people who others thought were conmen types. Plus in both cases the idea came to the founder in some sort of supernatural way. For the founding of chiropractic, the guy said that a ghost came to him and told him about making spinal adjustments. And there are hard core faithful chiropractic people who believe it can cure way more than just back/neck problems, but all kinds of diseases. Makes me wonder if getting chiropractic adjustments is something popular for Mormons.

• Useful 1

His father killed the dog, because his son didn't finish his chores??? And someone killed this poor girl, and her daughter. I hope the other detective didn't just get shot.

This was really well done, but it's also been feeling like the Mormon version of "Midnight Mass" that I watched last year. The constant preaching by different people. Religion freaks me out, though. It doesn't give me any comfort, because of the extremists, and even when I watched his wife say that she couldn't struggle with him, that she needed him to bear his testimony in front of their daughters. She's choosing a god we have no proof exists, over her husband. 

I loved the native American detective. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Dustin Lance Black left the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? That explains a lot. He seems to have an axe to grind. 

Krakauer deemed himself an authority because he knew some Mormons. 

On 10/7/2022 at 10:19 AM, msnave1 said:

Dustin Lance Black left the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? That explains a lot. He seems to have an axe to grind. 

Krakauer deemed himself an authority because he knew some Mormons. 

Just seeing this comment now.  You might find the new documentary about Dustin Lance Black on HBO to be quite illuminating.  Dustin Lance Black has a justifiable axe to grind.  An incredible story.  I don't know how Krakauer got involved.  He seems to find stories in the news and starts reporting.  I don't think he deems himself an authority without digging deep for information. 

• Like 1