Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E03: Five Souls on Board

• Start Topic

Desperate to reach helicopter range before his deckhand dies, Captain Rip charges into an Arctic storm to attempt the riskiest USCG rescue in recent history. Sig takes his first Norwegian rogue wave, while John struggles to save the Time Bandit.

In episode 1, Rip says he has a safe boat but accidents happen.   if you have two deckhands crushed by pots in less than 12 months, its not a safe boat.   Something is wrong with procedures.   Sure accidents happen.   But two very similar "accidents" that close together?  I like Rip, he seems to care for his crew but something is not right.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/30/2022 at 5:03 AM, merylinkid said:

In episode 1, Rip says he has a safe boat but accidents happen.   if you have two deckhands crushed by pots in less than 12 months, its not a safe boat.   Something is wrong with procedures.   Sure accidents happen.   But two very similar "accidents" that close together?  I like Rip, he seems to care for his crew but something is not right.

I have been saying the same thing since last week. This guy acts detached, like he's watching a movie and its not happening to him in real life. The way he was acting about the Coast Guard rescue it was like a kid watching an action movie, not a captain working either a rescue team. Something ain't right with this guy and I hope there's an oficial inquiry into this boat and captain. 

On 4/30/2022 at 8:03 AM, merylinkid said:

All I could see last week was the pots basically dancing across the deck like an amoeba. The stacks seemed so loose. I have to wonder if that played a part of 2 guys getting crushed. 

19 hours ago, gingerella said:

I have been saying the same thing since last week. This guy acts detached, like he's watching a movie and its not happening to him in real life. The way he was acting about the Coast Guard rescue it was like a kid watching an action movie, not a captain working either a rescue team. Something ain't right with this guy and I hope there's an oficial inquiry into this boat and captain. 

Right? He was way to into the rescue. I literally said out loud, "I'm sure Francis was happy to be crushed so you could watch a show".  I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Right? He was way to into the rescue. I literally said out loud, "I'm sure Francis was happy to be crushed so you could watch a show".  I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. 

We can only hope he is investigated and grounded until a thorough review is carried out.

In early seasons the Saga had some major injuries - but it was in terrible repair. 

All the other captains have expressed horror at close calls, at "almost" having to call somebody's mom or wife and tell them tragic news. They physically SHAKE. Could be this guy is just in shock. But compare Johnathan's memory of rescuing the man overboard or Bill's successive losses, or Sig just hearing these stories over the radio. Hell, I think JOSH was more emotionally connected.

I'm going to cut him some slack and assume the combination of shock and knowing he's being filmed is causing him to hold himself artificially stiff under the worst possible conditions.

I was moved by the care shown the injured man by his fellow crew.

On another topic - did Edgar go to Norway too, just unseen?

All hail the Coasties!  Simply tremendous.  Nothing I am about to write is a criticism of ANY actions they took.  It's Disco editing lies I have little time for.

If the helo faced headwinds all the way to the F/V, it would have a heckuva tailwind going home.  So, the time estimates we were handed made little sense.  If they made it out in two hours, they would make it home much, much quicker.  Point being, the rescue window before "bingo" was significantly bigger.  Sure, it was somewhat tight - but the way they were sold to us, was a lie.   Ten minutes from soup to nuts for the actual rescue - including backing off as they did?!  Riiiiiight.

The title is awesome, though.  I agree with the captain that the pilot declaring souls onboard the helo was a WHOA! moment. 

The handling of the invite to Bill to come fish Reds makes little sense.  They waited to see if Sig was flailing before having him come?  Were this real, a Bill would tell them what they could do with their disrespect.  I can't find a bloody thing - come on out!  

I'm not understanding the TB's harvest of Goldens.  The grounds have been ignored for a long time and he loses his mind over 3 dozen crabs?!  Those pots should be crammed full.  Or, per usual, we have not been given the real story.

Sig's yelling at the crew as to how to handle the swinging pots was silly.  He was late to scream instructions.  The peril was no joke.  Hmmm.  If this situation is a known problem with conditions as they were and the configuration of the F/V, why on earth would Mr. Safety (Sig) continue the harvest?

Oh, well.  This was still a better ep than usual.  Wonderful that the crewman is fine.  (What was the bill for all services rendered in saving him?  Had to be more than $25K).   And because it cannot be said enough, God bless the USCG.

21 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The handling of the invite to Bill to come fish Reds makes little sense.  They waited to see if Sig was flailing before having him come?  Were this real, a Bill would tell them what they could do with their disrespect.  I can't find a bloody thing - come on out!  

I think the agreement with Bill was that Sig, who already had arranged his trip with his Norwegian connections and had a verified lead on a boat for himself, would get out there and relay to Bill any further leads he had for another boat, which he did, as dinky as it was. It would have been pretty dicey for Bill to just show up and try to set up for himself without Sig's connections.

I can't IMAGINE the paperwork involved to be a foreigner fishing in another country. I think Sig has dual citizenship, but Bill?

I'm not understanding the TB's harvest of Goldens.  The grounds have been ignored for a long time and he loses his mind over 3 dozen crabs?!  Those pots should be crammed full.  Or, per usual, we have not been given the real story.

I thought so too, but then he said something like the first pot on a short soak or something. So just knowing they were there meant they had found a place to start.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:47 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

If the helo faced headwinds all the way to the F/V, it would have a heckuva tailwind going home.  So, the time estimates we were handed made little sense.  If they made it out in two hours, they would make it home much, much quicker.  Point being, the rescue window before "bingo" was significantly bigger.  Sure, it was somewhat tight - but the way they were sold to us, was a lie. 

Time estimates have to include two things: Enough fuel for a diversion to an alternate airport (an extra 45 minutes typical in IFR conditions), plus you can't always be sure that the expected tailwinds will materialize. Not sure about the rules for helos specifically or as established in life-or-death rescue work by the USCG, but in civil aviation you always have to budget in a fudge factor to assume Things Will Not Go As Planned. I'd bet that they did, in fact, budget the same time back as they did for the time enroute, and if they were able to get back faster due to tail winds then all the better. I never flew IFR, but in VFR flight planning you *always* budget extra time and fuel (30 minutes fuel for flight in VMC).

• Useful 1