Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: The Last Hurrah

• Start Topic

The next-to-the-last scene was heartbreakingly true to life:

• [SOL TO BRIANNA AND MALLORY ON THE PORCH] I love your father more than anything in this world.
    And I'm the one who takes care of him.
    The one who is going to take care of him.
  • [BRIANNA] No one is doubting that you love him, Sol. But you have been pretty rude to him lately.
  • [SOL] Brianna, I was trying to protect him. He was repeating himself. I didn't want you to notice.
  • [BRIANNA AND/OR MALLORY] That's just Dad being Dad.
  • [SOL] And you're not curious as to why he needs the earpiece? Please, he's always forgetting important stuff.
  • [BRIANNA AND/OR MALLORY] Like our names. This isn't anything new, anything we need to be worried about.
  • [SOL] I thought so too. I thought so too, but 
  • [ROBERT COMING OUT OF THE HOUSE] Have you cheered up that sad sack yet? 
    [ROBERT REPEATING WORD FOR WORD WHAT HE SAID MOMENTS AGO TO BRIANNA AND MALLORY] I saw you brought cheesecake. How about I order us some pizza, we make a cheesy night of it?
  • [BRIANNA AND MALLORY HIDING REALIZATION AND DESPAIR]That'd be great, Dad.

In a 2015 interview, Peter Gallaher talked about Alzheimer's in his family, including, " I figure I've got about 10 years left" (aarp.org/health/brain-health/info-2015/peter-gallagher-on-alzheimers.html). 
So far, so good. 🤞

• Sad 2
  • Love 1

Mallory grabbing onto Brianna's arm after they realize Sol was right that this isn't Robert's usual forgetfulness took me right back to that great scene in the hospital after Robert had his heart attack, when the two sisters reached out to hold hands before they opened the door.  The actors both did great facial acting at the moment of realization, too.  And Raphael with the change in Brianna's tone of voice when this time she says yes to pizza and cheesecake, when before they'd both begged off.  And then Sol putting his arms around both of them.  Such a beautiful scene, all around.

I hope we're finally done with Nick now, because that was really great closure for them.  And not just the proper farewell fuck, but their conversation.  That she knew as soon as she did it she shouldn't have married him, she wanted to keep living as she had been with Frankie, and he knew it, too.  Perfect ending when Frankie came in depressed and cuddled up to Grace for comfort -- Nick saying "That's my cue" and leaving will make the absolute best final Nick moment if they don't keep bringing him back.

• Love 10

I love that Allison knew that Bud was lying about exercising simply because he wasn't getting fitter 🤣. And the few scenes we got of her thinking Bud is cheating on her were quite entertaining.

Also Brianna's apology was really good! Great scene.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Harvey said:

And the few scenes we got of her thinking Bud is cheating on her were quite entertaining.

I loved when he said he's a divorce lawyer who knows all the tricks, he'd be a lot better at not getting caught, and she responded, "That's what you're going with?"

The whole thing was dumb, because if she'd just looked up Goofy's rather than assuming it's a Disney thing ("embarrassing, but not worth lying about"), she'd have known right away why he was there, and Coyote's plan of implying an affair would never have happened.  But it was also funny and didn't drag on, so I went with it.

But she tracks his phone?!  And they're just glossing over that like it's okay?

• Love 1
On 5/3/2022 at 2:31 PM, Bastet said:

Mallory grabbing onto Brianna's arm after they realize Sol was right that this isn't Robert's usual forgetfulness took me right back to that great scene in the hospital after Robert had his heart attack, when the two sisters reached out to hold hands before they opened the door.  The actors both did great facial acting at the moment of realization, too.  And Raphael with the change in Brianna's tone of voice when this time she says yes to pizza and cheesecake, when before they'd both begged off.  And then Sol putting his arms around both of them.  Such a beautiful scene, all around.

It really was a beautiful scene. I haven't watched all the episodes yet but I do hope we get a scene of Mallory, Brianna, Bud and Coyote together, I've always liked their sibling dynamic.

• Love 3
On 5/10/2022 at 8:31 AM, MaggieG said:

I do hope we get a scene of Mallory, Brianna, Bud and Coyote together, I've always liked their sibling dynamic.

The scenes with all four kids together are some of my favorites.

This show is impressive with how completely sold I am, and pretty much from jump, on most of the relationships.  I never fully connected with Robert and Sol as a couple, but Grace and Frankie, Grace and Robert, Frankie and Sol, the four kids together, the brothers together, the sisters together, the parents with their kids, all of that felt true.

• Love 6