Type keyword(s) to search

Chip n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Gadget better not be the Villian! I won't be happy. I'm definitely checking this out as I've wanted a Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers movie for a very long time but other people online have me scared Gadget is a Villian in this or a big plot point cause shes barely in the traliers. I seen them bring up Scrappy doo being the Villian in the first Scooby-Doo Movie but like someone pointed out Scrappy wasn't as loved as Gadget so..  I'm just hoping Gadget is the old friend they are trying to rescue and nothing more 

• Love 1

Good grief. I know this was self parody but I couldn’t believe how many non-Disney characters and references made it into this. And not just Fox stuff.

Will admit that Eric Bana did a pretty good Monterey Jack.

Gadget and Zipper hooked up and had kids?! JFC that was too much. And while an old washed-up Peter Pan be the villain was supposed to be harmless fun, it just hit differently knowing what happened to Bobby Driscoll. I was kind of hoping that it would have turned out to Fat Cat bootlegging himself as Peter Pan for disguise—that would have been a twist that made this movie worth watching.

The Ugly Sonic cameo was hilarious and I did appreciate all the Seth Roger cartoon characters appearing together. And Darkwing Duck at the end. But overall this was just ridiculous. Who Framed Roger Rabbit was meta but it had more heart.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. They really were able to get a lot of characters I didn’t expect. I’m watching the original series now after having to check if those episode titles were real - they were. Dennis Haysbert as Zipper gave me unexpected joy and makes Chip selling insurance funnier.

• Love 7
On 5/20/2022 at 9:46 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Gadget and Zipper hooked up and had kids?! JFC that was too much. And while an old washed-up Peter Pan be the villain was supposed to be harmless fun, it just hit differently knowing what happened to Bobby Driscoll. I was kind of hoping that it would have turned out to Fat Cat bootlegging himself as Peter Pan for disguise—that would have been a twist that made this movie worth watching.

I don't know how true it is, but the villain was originally supposed to be Pluto. He was resentful of Chip & Dale's success (he was the antagonist in their shorts), and he was originally supposed to be harvesting toon parts to turn himself into the ultimate toon. Peter Pan was either supposed to be a henchman or a disguise.

There's some remnants in the final movie: Chip's ear turns into Snoopy's but it looks more like Pluto's, plus the wall of toon parts Chip and Dale find that doesn't lead to anything.

Overall, I liked it and I'd give it a solid B.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Watched this last night after watching a positive YouTube review.  I agree if you go in with no particular expectations this is a pretty fun B movie.  The Roger Rabbit comparison is direct, but Roger Rabbit is tilted more to the adult side of the scale, and this is tilted more to the kid side.  The story is pretty straight forward and the stakes are lower than in Roger Rabbit.  The references, in jokes, and world building give this a little something extra.

They achieved something by working in not just digital, but muppet and stop motion characters.  Surprisingly the human character was the one that worked the least for me.  The performance felt a bit too conscious that this was a kid's movie/make believe.  But maybe that was because she is the POV character for kids in the audience.

Enjoyed Ugly Sonic and Dennis Haysbert as Zipper.  The best brief cameo was a pair of cats from the CATS movie fighting in an alley in Uncanny Valley.

• Love 2

Tough crowd here, haha.  I was actually very much charmed by it and would probably give it an A- (although I don’t think it has much of a rewatchability factor).  It was an absolute dream for an 80s/ 90s kid, with all the references.  And the (Uncanny) Valley stuff and Main Street being home to stinky cheese trafficking was pretty cute.

John Mulaney is really an excellent voiceover artist.   Chip working for “Coercive Insurance”?  Funny.  And Chip’s concern for Millie when they thought they were going to die was oddly touching. 

The cameos that delighted me the most were Paul Rudd and his enthusiasm for “Aunt-Man,” the quick shot of Randy Marsh in the Russian bath and Darkwing Duck at the very end.

I would strongly caution parents to heed the PG warning.  I would never show this to my 5-year-old nephew because it would scare the living daylights out of him.

• Love 1