Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

S01.E01:    Pilot    

Track star Moses Johnson is swept up into a world of chaos, violence, and corrupt policing during a presumed drug sting gone wrong. Public defender Franklin Roberts considers retirement and his impact on the community.

Original Airdate: April 10, 2022
61st-Street-Tosin-Cole.jpg?resize=768,43

61st_101_ch_0409_0069_rt-1cfa7f8ac88a936

• Love 1

From the description of the series, I thought Moses would be very indirectly involved in the officer’s death, but fighting with the officer and pushing him to fall and hit his head and leading to his death is pretty direct, which somewhat changes my view of his dilemma. At the very least, it seems like it would be involuntary manslaughter, but obviously the police are going to want a reckoning

Poor Joshua(?) getting thrown off a cliff or overpass by gang members because he was talking to the police

Was the dead cop working for Internal Affairs given the wire he was wearing?

I initially thought Tosin Cole would be the star of this but the star is very clearly Courtney Vance

Intrigued enough to keep watching

I had a hard time with Courtney Vance's first client being given 30 months for shoplifting diapers.  I was so surprised I looked it up to see if the shoplifting laws were more severe in Chicago than in New York, which it turns out they are.  In NYC anything under $1,000 is a misdemeanor, whereas in Chicago it's anything under $300.  Still, how was this man going to steal more than $300 worth of diapers?  Of course, if he was charged with resisting arrest, which the cops can turn into assaulting an officer, okay - but that's not what the script did.

I like the cast enough that I'll stick around a while, but it's awfully soapy and heavy handed - I wish it were better written.