Type keyword(s) to search

S02:E02 Seven Bucks

• Start Topic

Calgary, 1996: Dwayne struggles to find his footing on the Calgary Stampeders practice squad. Fearing he'll be cut, he spends a life-changing day with a teammate. In 2032, an online troll threatens Dwayne's presidential campaign.

Original Air Date: March 22, 2022

Guest Stars
Kurt Roberson as Kenny Walker
Anthony Gooley as Customs Officer
Mark Casamento as Coach Wally Buono
Arlyn Broche as Dany Garcia
Chelsey Crisp as Casey
Christopher Chen as Sandy
Michael Torpey as Brayden Taft
Victor Gralak as Doug Flutie
Lucas Tranchitella as Jeff Garcia
Tom Harwood as Coach
Terry O'Neill as Carl
NUP_195949_004274fd4414c21809e77.jpg
NUP_195949_00868ca549461633c5664.jpg
NUP_195954_020860947b0ccf712b572.jpg

I'm beginning to wonder what kind of a shelf life this show has.  Looks like we're done with football, although in this format I suppose they could revisit it.  The beginning of his wrestling career should be interesting, but I'm not sure how much further you can take it from there.  I guess they could take it all the way up to his getting into pictures, but then how "young" is "young Rock"?

Anyway, decent episode, nothing special.  I liked the grab bags of free swag the top Stampeders got.  And the transparent tablets and phones, makes you wonder how those work.

• Love 1

Did they completely change writers between seasons?  Because last season was excellent and so far, this season has been pretty blah.  It's not just the core story of the episodes either.  The whole Sean Astin plotline feels off and as much as I love Randall Park, his character in this is better in small doses, so I think expanding his part was a mistake.  And I'm surprised that they introduced Dani in the "older" Rock storyline because last season, "youngest" Rock's stories were all about family, "middle" Rock was romantic relationships and "older" Rock was career.  I just assumed they'd be following the same format for this season.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm beginning to wonder what kind of a shelf life this show has.  Looks like we're done with football, although in this format I suppose they could revisit it.  The beginning of his wrestling career should be interesting, but I'm not sure how much further you can take it from there.  I guess they could take it all the way up to his getting into pictures, but then how "young" is "young Rock"?

Anyway, decent episode, nothing special.  I liked the grab bags of free swag the top Stampeders got.  And the transparent tablets and phones, makes you wonder how those work.

Considering his other than WWE credits go back more than 20 years that rise from Rocky's kid to Governor Schwarzenegger literal tagging Johnson in as the next big thing in The Rundown can sustain some seasons. Where does high school Rock go as that actor ages is more of a question for me.

• Love 1

Heh, I actually remember the bit from this autobiography where Dwayne talked about "accidentally" showing up to team meeting he wasn't suppose to be at just so he could get free sandwiches, so it was fun seeing that here.  Looks like they're already moving past his time in the Canadian Football League, but I don't remember too much else happening there, so I guess it makes sense.  I'm guessing "Older Rock" is going to be used to explore his earlier wrestling career soon, which I'm looking forward to (Flex Kavana!)

So, Randall Park's journey into becoming a journalist was due to him losing out to getting the role of Batman, naturally.  I wonder if he was up against Robert Pattinson or if this will be for another eventual Batman reboot ten years from now (probably played by Tom Holland or Timothee Chalamet, if I had to guess.)

Still not sure what to make of Sean Astin's character.  I know the public can be fickle at times, but I can't see that many people changing their votes or turning against Dwayne unless the character has solid proof of some kind.  I'm guessing it will all end with it being discovered something did go down, but not to the extent he's claiming.

• Love 3

Wow, the most focus Calgary has gotten since the Soul Squad visited is on "The Good Place!"

Props on putting together an actual CFL field for the scenes they shot there. It would have been easy to just shoot on a normal field. That said, the establishing shots definitely weren't here, but that's fine!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Wow, the most focus Calgary has gotten since the Soul Squad visited is on "The Good Place!"

Props on putting together an actual CFL field for the scenes they shot there. It would have been easy to just shoot on a normal field. That said, the establishing shots definitely weren't here, but that's fine!

🤠 With all the productions using Canada to stand in for America it would normally be the other way around as they searched Toronto for American standards.

• Love 3