Type keyword(s) to search

Elvis (2022)

AimingforYoko
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Not that one.  The performance where he sang Unchained Melody at the very end of the film (which was a recreation of a real clip...it's on YouTube if you want to find it), which occurred in 1977, shortly before his death.  

Ah, crossed signals. To me, "TV Special" means 1968, having watched it when I was a kid. Or, "Aloha From Hawaii in '73. 

I rewatched this movie again and loved it more the second time around. I think what makes this biopic work is that it really loves Elvis. It's not a surprise because Lisa Marie was so involved in the creative process, but this movie is not a tawdry, exploitative biopic. It's not by-the-numbers either. If anything, it might whitewash Elvis too much. But I prefer that to the typical biopic.

It comes across as a love letter to Elvis. And Elvis deserves it. He was a beautiful soul who brought a lot of joy to the world.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Just got around to watching this in the Oscars lead up, and WHAT was Tom Hanks thinking?!? I never could shake the idea of Tom Hanks in a fatsuit with a silly voice and couldn't get into his scenes at all. Austin Butler however was very good.

I am usually a Baz Luhrmann fan but something was off here, the film felt like a collection of scenes rather than a cohesive story. Admittedly, some of those scenes were very effective, like the influence of black musicians on Elvis and the Comeback Special, but ultimately the film seemed more interested in interrogating Elvis as a performer rather than Elvis the man, which is a valid take, but I never really felt connected as a result.