Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Child Care

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I like Marjan but she comes across a wee bit arrogant. Arrogant and untouchable. 

You mean like Owen? 

Actually, I like Marjan. I get that she's being given more of a story about her non-firefighter work, which is a bit annoying. But what they are doing with her doesn't bother me other than that it's off topic. When they had her doing high wire moves on rescues, I liked her more. But I get that they are spitting on stereotypes about Muslim women, so I give them a pass on some of the side trips they give her off the work stories. She gets almost as much story as Owen at this point. I will take anything to balance out the Owen is a player and Owen is a hero and Owen is having Family and Medical Crises focus. And I like that they are giving the one female firefighter on the show some actual respect, instead of making her an afterthought just hired to check a diversity box.

I really like Marjan with Paul, especially. The two of them have dynamite chemistry and I wish their friendship was focused on more. I don't need to hear about Owen banging women whose names he doesn't even know, and who are way too young for him, especially when Lowe himself had a scandal where he had sex with a minor. It's not something he has a right to joke about. Them making him rhapsodize about McConaughy had to be either an inside joke or a way to deliberately make him look stupid. 

I take the beefcake uniforms for the male firefighters is payback for all the women detectives on other shows, who are styled more glam than practical.

But I agree this season has been subpar. There's no humor in the rescues anymore. It's too much soap opera and too little firefighting and rescue stories. 

• Love 8
On 2/8/2022 at 6:00 AM, EllaWycliffe said:

I DID remember Amy Acker from Person of Interest.... and as a Firefly fan I love Gina Torres getting work even though I really don't like the captain of paramedics concept here. If this is how fire depts are organized in Texas, fine, I just don't see why the paramedics are a separate entity in the firehouse with their own captain. 

I remember near the midway point of Third Watch a new FDNY Captain shows up and kicks the paramedics out of the fire station. I guess they patrol when not on a call in real life? Two related agencies sharing a centrally located building seems fine to me. Sure one would command the building for administrative purposes

On 2/8/2022 at 11:53 AM, EllaWycliffe said:

I'd like to see Carlos make detective if just to show someone on this show being career conscious and ambitious.

He did some good work on the case, and when he brought it to the detective handling it, she didn't go with a traditional police procedural trope of "get away kid, you bother me." Rather she appreciated his legwork and it did help solve the case. If they keep giving us Carlos storylines, maybe she will mentor him as he works his way up.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

You mean like Owen? 

Yeah although I think Owen is untouchable because Rob Lowe is the star. I don't have issues with that, I don't know if I'd like him as a person in real life, but on this show? He's the star, he's a reasonably good actor and I will admit I've liked him since I saw him in The Outsiders many years ago. 

Marjan in contrast is a minor character on the show. If we were singing the Gilligans Island theme for this show - she'd be in "and the rest" and sometimes her behavior really strikes me as out of line. I know it was all part of the latest Evil Billy Burke plot but seriously, chaining herself to the building and getting arrested repeatedly usually has adverse affects on your career. I mean, I enjoy her but she, more than Grace, is one I'd enjoy seeing taken down a peg. 

On 2/8/2022 at 4:38 PM, DearEvette said:

Surprisingly I did not hate Amy Acker.  I usually do.  But I kinda liked her here. 

She didn't really annoy me like she usually does. I think a big part of that was that the last thing I saw her in was during the Alias rewatch my wife and I did back in 2020. And Alias season 5 came out like 17 years ago. So the fact that she looked that much older, and had different hair meant it took me awhile to recognize her.

The camera thing was super creepy. And I kind of bought the matches thing since apparently the camera had been talking to the kid for months. 

While Fred annoyed the living hell out of me, I've at least liked Amy Acker in every other role I've seen her play.

Mind you, I can still hear "HANDSOME MAYUNN, SAVED ME FROM THE MONSTERS" echoing in my brain occasionally 20 years later, so I hope Joss Whedon has it playing in a loop in his.

Edited by Bruinsfan