Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: La Lucha

• Start Topic

I'm watching and enjoying it, but it's not well-marketed and it seems like it would have been better as a fall premiere.  I do have trouble following all the "kids" and their various issues. 

Young Margaret's wig is so distracting.

I'm watching!  I just don't get a chance to watch it until Tuesday night.  I'm happy with the show.  I like that there several sub-plots, one for each family member.  Daddy's origin story, Mommy's torn between two brothers feeling like a fool, gay son's teen romance, CEO daughter's hit and run, her husband's lusting after her younger sister, younger daughter's not feeling appreciated, stepson's anger, youngest son's drug problem, and of course, the return of Alexis Carrington, oops! I mean, Margaret Honeycroft.

I have one minor complaint, I wish the cinematography for the flashback scenes could be a little different than the present day scenes.  Something that would tell me, the viewer, instantly that we're in 1987 now.  Rosa has not been mentioned in present day.  Doesn't look good for her in 1987.

• Love 3

I'm watching it and with my hubby!  

My husband was drawn to it because of Bellamy Young (he loved Prodigal Son) but I came and stayed for the actress playing Lettie Sandoval (Cecilia Suárez), who I recognized from the awesome Netflix drama, House of Flowers.

I don't speak Spanish, but I love the mix of English and Spanish dialect in the show (the reboot of One Day At A Time did this as well).    I want this show to succeed even though we can see the plot points coming from a mile away.  (Of course, Joe walks in on Lettie and his brother in the church....of course Antonio is not Joe's biological son.....of course Veronica doesn't call the police when she hits the employee...) but I love it.  

Because I love it means it will be canceled.  I wish I were a Nielsen household.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Grumpbump said:

I'm watching it and with my hubby!  

My husband was drawn to it because of Bellamy Young (he loved Prodigal Son) but I came and stayed for the actress playing Lettie Sandoval (Cecilia Suárez), who I recognized from the awesome Netflix drama, House of Flowers.

I don't speak Spanish, but I love the mix of English and Spanish dialect in the show (the reboot of One Day At A Time did this as well).    I want this show to succeed even though we can see the plot points coming from a mile away.  (Of course, Joe walks in on Lettie and his brother in the church....of course Antonio is not Joe's biological son.....of course Veronica doesn't call the police when she hits the employee...) but I love it.  

Because I love it means it will be canceled.  I wish I were a Nielsen household.  

I'm watching it with my hubby too! :-) 

It's OTT for sure and there are so many characters it can be hard to keep track. Also, I feel like none of the characters in the present are very likable at all. Carlos/Joe, Juana/Lettie and Billy are likable in the past but it's hard to believe they are the same people in the present.  And Marta's attitude towards them when they visited the main house for the first time in the flashback came off as very house slave vs field slave and it's disturbing that in the present she is still their maid and wears a maid uniform. In all the time that she's worked at the house, they couldn't have given her a promotion to house manager or something so she wouldn't be wearing a maid costume or still cooking and cleaning after them? I hope we get a scene where they  say they offered her a cushier job but she refused, otherwise it seems very degrading. 

And the idea that young Margaret had to learn Spanish by having a field worker teach her is ridiculous, especially in California. If she cared that much about learning Spanish, she could have taken those classes in high school or college. I liked how they portrayed Margaret's father as casually racist and hypocritical when referring to his workers as family but then denying them extra assistance, as that seems very realistic. I did like how Carlos/Joe used that to ask for the money. It's infuriating that now that he's the big man, he's just as casually cruel and hypocritical to his workers. 

And why oh why did Joe and Lettie keep that truck??? Don't they know that VINs can be tracked? They should have burned it. 

And just one nitpick about the setting. I live in Sacramento and have been to Sonoma numerous times. It clearly is not filmed in Sonoma and so many of the settings are so fake and just not true to the nature of Sonoma or even Napa. I wonder why they didn't just set this in the Central Coast wine country, where Sideways the movie was set, or even the Temecula wine country near San Diego. Why Sonoma? 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

And the idea that young Margaret had to learn Spanish by having a field worker teach her is ridiculous, especially in California. If she cared that much about learning Spanish, she could have taken those classes in high school or college.

She didn't have to have a field worker teach her Spanish, she asked the field worker (Lettie/Juana) because she was hot for Lettie's friends Billy and Joe.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

She didn't have to have a field worker teach her Spanish, she asked the field worker (Lettie/Juana) because she was hot for Lettie's friends Billy and Joe.

She also saw that Lettie teaching another worker English and thought she was a good teacher. From the flashbacks and from what said in the present day, Margaret and Lettie became best friends which would eventually get destroyed when both marriages implode, Billy and Margaret leave, and Joe and Letty get married keeping the vineyard a new the kids.

I also thought it was pretty damming that Joe kept insisting that Lettie was the kids mother but he doesn’t feel or act like he is Mateo’s father including not giving him any shares in the company like the other kids and only leasing the land to Mateo after overpaying for the land where Mateo is going to work on.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I also thought it was pretty damming that Joe kept insisting that Lettie was the kids mother but he doesn’t feel or act like he is Mateo’s father including not giving him any shares in the company like the other kids and only leasing the land to Mateo after overpaying for the land where Mateo is going to work on.

Damning indeed!  The more we learn of Joe, the more I intensely dislike!

• Love 4