Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Second Thoughts (Pauling, OH)

They've got this Noffsinger guy dead to rights. If I was his lawyer I'd be trying to negotiate a manslaughter plea, because if this case goes to trial, he's going to lose big. The motive in this case is very strong and easy to see. Plus, the defense doesn't really have a good alternative suspect they can try an pin the case on.

Took a quick look online, and the Paulding Sherrif's Office was very complementary of the whole Cold Justice staff. Turns out there were three cases that could be looked at, and the producers picked Alma's, in part because almost everyone involved was still alive and available. It seems that communities are going to be very open to having the Cold Justice team come help solve cases in the future.

• Love 4

The motive in this case is very strong and easy to see.

Again, makes you wonder why they weren't able to make the case when it originally happened. It didn't come down to DNA, it really came down to motive and weapon. I guess the best thing that happened with the passing of time was there were more witnesses that were willing to talk (exs of the ex-husband, like the ex-brother-in-law and ex-girlfriend).

I'm really glad the series has been renewed for a third season. Kelly and Yolanda are really able to make a difference in these small towns. I liked that the one detective was using this opportunity to learn how to investigate a cold case and Kelly and Al were so enthusiastic to teach him. The egos are being kept on the back burner and they truly are doing great police work.

• Love 3

This did seem like a really easy case to crack. IDK why first ex husband was a suspect since he got the kids, she gave them to him, and they seemed to have an okay relationship. I wouldn't have been surprised if his girlfriend was involved but once they focused on the second ex-husband, there is no doubt in my mind he was guilty and as a juror I would have no problem finding him guilty based on the case they have.

It is fascinating to me how people are more likely to talk after all this time, and actually remember things. When Kelly was all "I remember the last time I talked to my mother and we didn't do anything wrong" I tried to think about the last time I talked to my mom and I had to think about it. It was only this week, but still. lol

I was really confused by the timeline though. I kept wondering, was the door left open for a day, day and a half and no one noticed?

I was really confused by the timeline though. I kept wondering, was the door left open for a day, day and a half and no one noticed?

They never said but it sounded like the neighbor would have noticed a door open for several days. The other timeline thing that bothered me was her son Ryan. The neighbor said she saw Alma going into the house with Ryan on the 15th but there was no mention (that I can remember) of him after that. Was he in the house when his mom was murdered? If she was killed on the 15th or day of the 16th, would a young child have sat there for that long alone and quiet? If he was in the house, that also points to time of murder sometime during the night of the 16th.

The give-away on the ex-husband was when he filed for custody of the son and he listed the date of her death as December 16th, when no one knew the actual date of death.

• Love 1

I just watched this on DVR. Note to surly violent hotheaded people: if you have a murderous secret in your past, you might not want to have THREE signs on your front door advertising your gun-happy violent nature. Especially when the cops come calling. Oy, I think I laughed out loud the first time those signs flashed on the screen 

I let out a loud ha too! It goes to show what a coward this guy is. All those threatening signs and he's too chicken shit to come out when the cops show up with a few questions. Then he has to make them leave to cover his lame story, only to invite them back. Just a manipulative coward who pushed around people he felt were weaker than himself. I feel sad for Ryan and I thought the other two kids speaking at the end was a great olive branch to a possible relationship. That family is going to need a lot of healing.

Happy to hear the show was renewed! Not only are they doing great work in often underfunded small towns but the crime victims are many times overlooked because they are lower class.

• Love 3

I bet there's a story as to why these cases go cold, and I wish we could sometimes get a glimpse into that. Sure, nobody wants to diss the cops that worked (or didn't work, as the case may be) the original case, but the leads the team followed up this week seemed obvious enough to have been pursued way back then. There was no mention (iirc) of the past interviewing the ex husbands, which: um, duh, even 30 years ago.

Not to take away anything the team did to solve the case this year; it's great work. But I still find myself wondering why a case gets cold in the first place. (excepting the missing-person-discovered-years-later ones.)

Allen wears his seat belt tucked under his arm, which I bet earns him complaints from the 'what about the example you're setting?!?' brigade. Not that I've ever done that, of course....

• Love 1