Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Long Live The Queen

That was brutal, but this was definitely 1 of the better episodes of this series, I just hope the payoff in the finale lives up to it unlike the last 2 books.

• Love 1

I had been saying since the first series that it was possible for airbending to have a sinister side, but several of my friends doubted me.  And I certainly wasn't expecting Zaheer to kill the Queen (or so it appears).  This definitely makes me fear for the lives of Korra's father, Zuko, and anyone else in a position of power.  With that said, this series payoffs tend to fall somewhat flat after a huge buildup, so we shall see...

Edited by FlamingWench79

I had been saying since the first series that it was possible for airbending to have a sinister side, but several of my friends doubted me.  And I certainly wasn't expecting Zaheer to kill the Queen (or so it appears).  This definitely makes me fear for the lives of Korra's father, Zuko, and anyone else in a position of power.  With that said, this series payoffs tend to fall somewhat flat after a huge buildup, so we shall see...

All bending has a sinister side especially depending on how its used.

• Love 1

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Now I know why Nick didn't want to air this episode!

Also learned from the Onion AV Club review that the now late Earth Queen was based on China's Empress Dowager Cixi from the late 19th century:

tumblr_m1vsu6hhmD1rrjpupo1_500.png

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

That episode was fantastic. I am so happy that they showed a darker side to airbending, it is too often portrayed as the softer element, what with all the meditation and being at one with the spirits etc. We all knew it had to be possible, but the execution was so very well done. To clarify though, he basically air-bent the air out of her lungs right? Like a form of suffocation?

I am so so glad that we get scenes in the desert again. This show definitely works best against different backdrops. I also enjoyed seeing the character interactions between the crew and Asami and Korra. Even though they weren't on screen for very long, I felt like they were very well written, round characters. I have a feeling we'll see them again. But why couldn't Korra or the other crew members sand bend? Does she / they not know how? 

Also, seeing Zuko having a drink in what sounded like a jazz bar will always make my day :D

• Love 1

Sucking the air out of her lungs was extra cruel but it's not like air bending (or any other type) isn't capable of easily killing without a special technique.  Multiple air blasts would kill a person.  Likewise, an air slice could decapitate someone.

That being said, there was just enough ambiguity for kids to believe that the queen merely lost consciousness and was imprisoned since nobody is allowed to say killed/murdered/etc.

Also, it appears that there is no crown prince/princess.  That seems kind of short sighted for a monarch, especially one who looked like she was on the older side.

Also, it appears that there is no crown prince/princess.  That seems kind of short sighted for a monarch, especially one who looked like she was on the older side.

Even if there was, she wouldn't give it up so easily, she seemed like the type to hold on to it until death.

I am so so glad that we get scenes in the desert again. This show definitely works best against different backdrops. I also enjoyed seeing the character interactions between the crew and Asami and Korra. Even though they weren't on screen for very long, I felt like they were very well written, round characters. I have a feeling we'll see them again. But why couldn't Korra or the other crew members sand bend? Does she / they not know how?

I guess they don't have a sandbender, I liked the Korra/Asami interactions though.

Did anyone else make note of the captain's hook?  I know we keep making connections to Suyin, but I couldn't help but wonder if that meant he was a former pirate who knew her back in the day.

Sucking the air out of her lungs was extra cruel but it's not like air bending (or any other type) isn't capable of easily killing without a special technique.  Multiple air blasts would kill a person.  Likewise, an air slice could decapitate someone.

That's true, but air bending philosophy is typically more peaceful and aimed at disarming rather than murdering - especially not in such a viscous way. I'm sure that Aang and Tenzin may have killed some people by air bending (like if they blasted them into a hard surface) but it was never shown to be this intentionally violent before on this show.

Edited by lovedwallflower
  • Love 1

It's always jarring to me when they show a character straight up killing someone. Sure, they didn't actually show her death (do they ever show deaths on-screen?) but they may as well have. That was one of the most explicit murders I've seen on the show, and the way they did it really shocked me. I know there's been speculation about breathbending since the original series, but I never thought they would actually go there.

But it was fantastic, and not just for the shock factor. The entire episode was actually really good, and I hope that they - for once - can keep this momentum and nail the last few episodes.

• Love 1

I was surprised they went there, but I'm glad they did.  The censorship seems moot since it didn't air on TV.  Could that be why they chose to air the remaining episodes online?

It finally looks like they're going somewhere, but I think we could have gotten there sooner.  I'm not convinced of the Red Lotus' motives.  It doesn't make sense to make the world into non stop chaos.  Without a certain amount of order, there is no progress. 

I'm curious how the Queen's death will affect the entire Earth Kingdom.  She had loyal subjects (like Mako's and Bolin's Grandmother) and since there seem to be no apparent heirs (unless they took a powder during the revolution), a big vacuum is coming.  I wonder if those who lived in the upper rings of BBS are going to end up like the titled gentry during the French Revolution. 

I'm curious how the Queen's death will affect the entire Earth Kingdom.  She had loyal subjects (like Mako's and Bolin's Grandmother) and since there seem to be no apparent heirs (unless they took a powder during the revolution), a big vacuum is coming.  I wonder if those who lived in the upper rings of BBS are going to end up like the titled gentry during the French Revolution.

Most likely a revolution/uprising since it already seemed to be happening by the end of the episode.