Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Fancy Brugdom

• Start Topic

I agree Edna - the early incarnation of Jake felt more like a jerk, but I actually kind of like the guy now. His genuine affection for Boyle this episode was really nice. I also enjoyed that Jake didn't make a "Groomzilla" comment once.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Boyle and Vivian work it out. This episode reminds me why I love Rosa so much and I'd hate to see her softened because they force a pairing with Boyle down the line. Having said that, happy Boyle is more entertaining than I expected.

I want Boyle and Vivian to work out too, but because I've seen TV before, I assume they won't. I like happy Boyle, he's still a total freak, and as a big weirdo I am pro weirdos finding people who love them for who they are. And I agree that I don't want to see him and Rosa pushed together. Creepy semi-stalker gets the girl is my least favorite trope. 

• Love 6

Re-watching this episode again today, and, damn!  This time, I actually paid more attention to Hungry Amy's threats at Hitchock (I was too busy doubled over with laughter the first time), and she goes to some dark places, when she's in "hypoglycemic rage" (tm Terry) .  "I hope you get hit by a truck, and a dog takes a dump on your face!"  "I hope you drown in a tub, and have aneurysm, after aneurysm, after aneurysm!!"  Hitchock really was lucky Terry carried her out of there, because I think Amy would torn him apart, limb from limb!  Awesome scene.  Melissa Fumero just killed it that entire bit (and, I have to admit: still hot, even when angry and scary.)

Meanwhile, Holt/Rosa was just brilliant in it's simplicity.  Getting your two deadpan characters together, and having them to things like that "I'm sorry!" exchange?  Perfect.  And I still love when Holt burned the entire pad Rosa used to draft her "apology" on.  Andre Braugher had the perfect disgusted look on his face.

This episode really does a good job at showing how great of a friend Jake is to Boyle.  I like that, even when does poke fun at him, you can tell he was taking it seriously, and that he actually read the "Fancy Brugdom" magazine, because he kept saying random things from it.  Jake's a good guy, in my book. 

This episode really does a good job at showing how great of a friend Jake is to Boyle.  I like that, even when does poke fun at him, you can tell he was taking it seriously, and that he actually read the "Fancy Brugdom" magazine, because he kept saying random things from it.  Jake's a good guy, in my book.

One of the many, many pleasant surprises about this show, in my view, is how good a guy Jake Peralta is. He doesn't take advantage of Charles, he doesn't just tolerate him and enjoy his hero worship, while secretly looking down on him. He actually really likes Charles, and considers him a friend. I think of a show like The League (which is great) and how all the characters on that show open, utter contempt for Andre, and feel like so many shows would go in a similar direction with Charles Boyle. But they don't.

Jake doesn't try to make himself cooler by putting down a sweet, good-natured but seriously uncool guy like Charles.

He didn't want to do all the wedding planning stuff that Charles wanted, but he summoned up genuine enthusiasm for it because Charles wanted it.

Still, the most adorable moment of the episode is Amy Santiago and her hamster cheeks full of cheeseburger. Melissa Fumero's facial expressions should be framed and hung up on a wall, they really should.

• Love 4

A million laugh points to Jake for his answer to Boyle's "Oh my God, I'm planning the worst wedding ever, aren't I?

Jake: Nope. Second. Red Wedding, Game of Thrones.

However, I think I'd rather watch those annoying characters die again than eat that spicy wedding cake...eesh!

• Love 1