Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 8/25/14

I'm going to be churlish and say that while it's great Todd Glass came out, he still has some work to do if he considers the phrase "being in the closet" and setting tables "feminine."

While I'd agree with the sentiment, I took those comments as Glass being at a point where he can look back and see how ridiculous it was to think that way. At least, my reaction to his stories about panicking about getting caught setting the table was that he was joking about how stupid it was to be concerned about those kinds of things.

If he and Stewart started out together, it must be somewhat daunting to go on Jon's show considering what a huge star he's become, compared to Glass, who I'm willing to bet few people have ever heard of before.

I read a few articles about Glass when he came out. He was referred to as a "comedian's comedian" a lot. Sometimes I wonder if that's how comedians tell a colleague that he's too good at comedy for the average person to get. (aka "You're not bigger because people are stupid.")

Glass did have me thinking about how nicely we've progressed. He feared being defined by his sexual orientation and thinking back to the days when he started, most openly gay comedians were expected to make jokes about how gay stereotypes are so true.

• Love 1

If he and Stewart started out together, it must be somewhat daunting to go on Jon's show considering what a huge star he's become, compared to Glass, who I'm willing to bet few people have ever heard of before.

People have different definitions of what being successful in like means. Maybe he is where he feels he should be. I don't see why any comedian who knew Jon before he became so big should be comparing their professional lives with Jon's

... He feared being defined by his sexual orientation and thinking back to the days when he started, most openly gay comedians were expected to make jokes about how gay stereotypes are so true.

I thought it was kind of ironic that after making that statement they spent the rest of the interview talking about his coming out and his sexual orientation.

While I'd agree with the sentiment, I took those comments as Glass being at a point where he can look back and see how ridiculous it was to think that way. At least, my reaction to his stories about panicking about getting caught setting the table was that he was joking about how stupid it was to be concerned about those kinds of things.

Yes, and how much life energy is drained away worrying about those things; it's something straight people rarely understand. iI's not just about some abstract and vague principle. It's a daily, on-going drag on your life to have to hide your reality from others in a way straight people simply do not have. The degree to which he was worrying and planing around this issue, of course it's ridiculous and wrong. That's the point. And that the interview could revolve around it, when he doesn't want it to define him-- again, not a problem other people have to worry about or work to prevent. Even the "how many guys named Chris could there possibly be in Florida?" joke emphasized it-- it's ridiculously paranoid, but when you live a paranoid life, it distorts your thinking and experience, and can bleed into areas that don't even make sense after a while. I think the media has become glib and self-congratulatory about all the progress that's being made. It glosses over the real impact of state-sanctioned repression, social stigma, and gross discrimination people have suffered, as though it was all just a superficial oopsie, and something we can joke about now because it's all supposedly in the past. But it isn't, and even in the ways it is, the effects don't go away that fast.

• Love 4
I thought it was kind of ironic that after making that statement they spent the rest of the interview talking about his coming out and his sexual orientation.

He was on the show to promote his book, and that's what it's about: "A hilarious, poignant memoir from comedian Todd Glass about his decision at age forty-eight to finally live openly as a gay man—and the reactions and support from his comedy pals... a deeply personal story about one man’s search for acceptance."

I first heard of Glass when he appeared on "Last Comic Standing" a few years back. He finished in the Top 10 on Seasons 2 & 3.

• Love 1

The Chris joke made me laugh because one of my friends lives in Florida and his partner is named Chris. I wonder if he knows he's being cheated on.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

People have different definitions of what being successful in like means. Maybe he is where he feels he should be. I don't see why any comedian who knew Jon before he became so big should be comparing their professional lives with Jon's

Marc Maron did that for awhile. Pretty bitter man for a bit.

• Love 2

I liked the interview with Todd Glass, but I do think Glass's nerves (the slightly flustered laugh, rolling eyes at his own behavior that contained a very real fear at the time, etc. ) speaks to possibilities point about the all-consuming-terror that goes along with trying to conceal ones sexual identity.  I found it really sort of poignant that -- it seemed to me -- he's still a little bit scared about what the reception of his sexual orientation will be.  

It's funny too, my husband and I ended up having sort of longish discussion about Glass's age and how someone's background and upbringing can have such influence over their decision to be open about their sexuality, simply because poor Todd Glass stayed hidden for at least five years after the point that it simply wouldn't have caused much of a sensation had he come out earlier.  I don't think anything could more clearly illustrate how truly terrifying it was for someone in his age bracket: years past the point that sexual identity and the rights of LBGT people have been a front-runner in the national conversation , Todd Glass was still trying to come to terms with revealing who he loves publicly.  

It's sort of a big deal, I think, even if the primary conversation it sparked here in my home was "Dude, why did you wait so long?"  it was still interesting to contemplate how prevalent homophobia was -- and I guess in some quarters is -- that the need to conceal became such a big part of Glass's identity that he had almost as much trouble letting go of that as he did coming out.   Glass seemed so nervous and Jon was really grounding in that interview.  I know he's been very successful, but it does seem like Jon is also a person who is a good friend and that might help mitigate a lot of jealousy issues for the people who came up through the comedy clubs with him. 

but it does seem like Jon is also a person who is a good friend and that might help mitigate a lot of jealousy issues for the people who came up through the comedy clubs with him.

I don't fully understand this comment. I don't think that comedians who have not been as successful as Jon has, if the definition of success is measured with the same stick we measure Jon, are - or should be - jealous of him. 

Or that we all see success as a comedian the same way. I, for one, don't think Jon is funny in a Stand Up Comedian way, but then again, I don't think like stand up comedy, and I usually don't find it funny. I do like the snark and the media/politics commentary.

I think most people see Jon's success as a combination of his wealth, his influence, his "power", not necessarily his talent (not saying he isn't). For some people too much money, too much influence (as in being expected to take a position and fight for causes) is much less important than a personal accomplishment

Note: I do not think Jon is where he is exclusively because of his talent and hard work. I think it is a combination of things that make people get to a place like where he finds himself now, something that is very clear in the "celebrity" world

I don't fully understand this comment.

I was commenting on that because there's a discussion in the posts before mine about whether or not comedians who worked with Jon early on might be jealous of his success.

If that were the case, then I think that Jon's known to be pretty supportive of his friends' endeavors. Like having Todd Glass on to discuss what has sort of become thankfully -- if not a non-event -- a rather unremarkable story in these times: Someone who was concealing his sexuality became more comfortable with it and even later in life decided to be open about it.

I was just chiming in because someone upthread wondered if Glass would specifically be jealous and just watching Jon interact with Glass when Glass was so clearly nervous, I thought Jon's demeanor was supportive.

I actually liked Jon's stand-up back in the day, by the way and yeah, I do think that there would be some tendency towards jealousy, Jon makes kind of a lot of money and is pretty high profile. Some it was down to the luck of being hired for gigs, that would engender some jealousy, or might.

Edited by stillshimpy

I see

I agree, there is jealousy. I just don't like to assume that every person who has known Jon, began their careers with him and did not get to the point of being recognized/rich/influence might be jealous. I may be that I understand jealousy as something very negative. I am sure that some might wonder "what if it was me", or "it could have been me" but I don't think it is something that makes them jealous. 

And if Jon makes an effort of showing how supportive he is of his old friends who did not reach the point where he is now, then this is a little douchy of him, as in he actually thinks that he is worthy of being envied. I hope he shows support for whatever his friends are doing because he believes in the work, not to show sympathy for their "lower" position in comparison to his

And if Jon makes an effort of showing how supportive he is of his old friends who did not reach the point where he is now, then this is a little douchy of him, as in he actually thinks that he is worthy of being envied.

I think Jon is simply aware that he has been very fortunate and is supportive of his friends regardless of level of success.

I also think that it's simply human nature to be a bit jealous or envious of people who are successful, but that is not to say that is the only emotion being felt. Conflicting emotions can, and frequently do exist even with the same moment. Someone's admiration for another's talents or good fortune can be tinged with jealousy while coexisting with honest pleasure for that person's success. We are complex creatures, we can feel more than one thing about any given situation.

I also think that someone can look at friend, realize they've worked really hard and support their endeavors via the mediums open to them without that being condescending, or evidence of being a jackass.

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

There's no evidence that Jon thinks he's better than other comedians who aren't as rich and famous as he is, and, as far as I know, only Marc Maron has explicitly, if jokingly, said that he was/is jealous of Jon. It feels like a bit of a reach to assume Jon is being slightly arrogant or self-involved if he's appears to be supportive of a friend who seems nervous--for whatever reason that friend feels nervous. If nothing else, Jon is always a gracious host who tries to put everyone at ease, from rightwing assholes to little-known authors and directors to new correspondents doing their first bit. This is so much so that Jon's behavior only really stands out when he is not a gracious host, like with Jennifer Love Hewitt, Chris Matthews, or Jim Cramer. If Jon is making an effort to appear supportive--as in, putting on a show of supportiveness--then it's the same effort that he's given just about everyone he's invited onto the show.

Anyway, I believe that all of us get to where we are not only through our own hard work and talent but in great deal due to the support and influences of people around us and to how we fall within institutionalized systems of privilege. Jon is no more perfect than anyone (there are still moments where this or that joke lands poorly due to internalized biases that he probably hasn't consciously examined; same with Colbert and Oliver), but he does seem like someone who well understands that the same systems that are be beneficial to him are oppressive to others. In any case, you can be supportive of a friend who hasn't been as fortunate as yourself (financially or otherwise) without it being a power trip; the two are not necessarily linked, thank goodness. If that's even what was going on between them during that interview.

I don't even know Jon, and besides that, I'm not a comedian. But sometimes I do think to myself: we're almost the same age! What the hell have I done with my life?!

Same here. I'm younger than he is, but I still feel like there are chunks of my life that could have been lived more meaningfully.

Edited by Fremde Frau

There's no evidence that Jon thinks he's better than other comedians who aren't as rich and famous as he is

Just to be clear, my comment is a general thought, about any person. I have no idea of how Jon feels, nor do I really care. I just think that there would be no reason for ANYONE to feel like they should console someone perceived as less successful or fortunate,  other than a huge ego with a dose of doucheness.

I also think that it's simply human nature to be a bit jealous or envious of people who are successful

You are right there and maybe I am too old and have wasted some of my youth being concerned about other people's lives instead of my own goals, so I do not care about these things anymore.

Edited by alexvillage

I agree with your point as it pertains to people who make a deliberate show of acting like someone else's savior or whatnot or take on that mantle unasked, but I didn't get that vibe at all from the interview. This is just my interpretation, but he seemed to be supportive of Todd Glass' nerves from a personal, human standpoint, rather than it being anything to do with any real or perceived difference in professional status. (I agree with Wax Lion's take on what Glass was dealing with.)

To your more general point: I have to disagree again. Support is not automatically the same as consolation, anymore than sympathy is automatically the same as pity. Isn't that one of the GOP's arguments against welfare and other government assistance programs, that such programs are a disingenuous and economically and/or socially detrimental exercise of liberal guilt meant solely for their own political gain? Anyway, you can support someone without consoling them, and you can console someone without supporting them. So I have to disagree with the notion that to be supportive of people who have less than oneself is necessarily the same as to be an egotistical douchebag whose ulterior motive is self-reward.

Getting back to Jon, he seems to be exactly the opposite type: to not pat himself on the back for supporting people but to treat it as nothing praiseworthy. I remember reading about how nobody knew he was visiting soldiers for years until he was honored with the 2008 USO-Metro Merit Award for it. (Here's a hilarious NPR interview as Jon is driving to get the award.) Travon Free (one of the writers) has an interview where it came up (at 52:00) how several people have stories about how Jon helped them without any sense of ceremony.

David Letterman has for YEARS featured comics like Jeff Altman and J.J. Walker on his show, long after their careers cooled. I think it's a pretty nice gesture when you can give a bit of a boost to someone who needs it. I'm sure Todd Glass's book got a significant sales bump after his appearance on TDS.

• Love 1

Support is not automatically the same as consolation,

I agree 100%. That's my point. It is BAD if support sounds like consolation. I think I failed in making myself understood, so I am sorry I kept trying and not getting there

I already got smacked elsewhere for suggesting that perhaps the death of a celebrity, however beloved and however shocking the death, did not merit breaking into programming (a news crawl is sufficient, imo) so I'm numb to another blow and will offer my unpopular opinion. 

No smacking here. I agree with you on the breaking news thing. The networks have lost all perspective about what warrants program interruption.

I didn't expect a eulogy from Jon. As you and others have stated, Jon's entitled to mourn his friend however he sees fit. I do wish he'd have been the MOZ instead of that pointless clip of John Boehner.

• Love 1