Type keyword(s) to search

Son Of A Critch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Based on Mark Critch's autobiography.  Pilot:

A 11-year-old Mark, a boy much older inside than his 11 years - using comedy and self-deprecation to win friends and connect with the small collection of people in his limited world.

Starring Mark Critch, Roddy Malcolm McDowell, Cllaire Ranking, Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, Colton Gobbo

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Starring Mark Critch, Roddy McDowell, Cllaire Ranking, Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, Colton Gobbo

I think you mean Malcolm McDowell. Roddy McDowall died in 1998. Unless they have some very fancy special effects!

• Useful 1
(edited)

S01.E01: Pilot
Son-of-a-Critch.jpg
SERIES PREMIERE – Mark’s (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) first day of sixth grade goes awry when a family of bullies take a special interest in making his life miserable. But when Mark stands up for himself and takes a shot at one of the bullies – a young girl named Fox (Sophia Powers) – he learns that words can hurt a lot more than fists.

Premiere Date: July 24, 2023        CW       8pm

S01.E02: Lordy, Lordy, Look Who's Dead
FI2QtWRWQAIA5R_?format=jpg&name=large
THE MOST UNEXPECTED OF PLACES – A chance encounter at a funeral parlor leads to Mark’s (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) first date with a girl. As he risks life and limb in a race across town to meet her, Fox (Sophia Powers) finds herself unexpectedly jealous. Meanwhile, Mary (Claire Rankin) tries to convince Dick (Richard Clarkin) to sell her the old radio station truck. 

Premiere Date: July 24, 2023        CW       8:30pm

Edited by AnimeMania
On 5/8/2023 at 5:54 PM, AnimeMania said:

The CW has purchased Son of a Critch to air in the US this summer, there are two season available and it was renewed for a third season.

Where did this air previously?  I just found out about it since it was showing on CW. Watched part of first episode and I was having a hard time watching the bullying. 

Answering my own question. I see it aired in Canada. Some people liken it to the Wonder Years and Young Sheldon, but I also see a similarity to the sadly short lived show about the Catholic family with lots of kids. Starred Mary McCormack as the Mom. The Kids Are Alright.   

On 1/5/2022 at 4:00 PM, Mondrianyone said:

I think you mean Malcolm McDowell. Roddy McDowall died in 1998. Unless they have some very fancy special effects!

Do you get Canadian shows where you live?  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Do you get Canadian shows where you live?

Not unless they're on American TV. Coincidentally, I just saw a promo for this show a few nights ago. I don't think it's something I'll be interested in watching, though. But if you do and think it's great . . .

7 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Not unless they're on American TV. Coincidentally, I just saw a promo for this show a few nights ago. I don't think it's something I'll be interested in watching, though. But if you do and think it's great . . .

Wait--what?  It sounded like you had watched it!  A year ago.  So I was wondering if you are far up north you pick up broadcast channels from Canada if you use broadcast TV.  Just like we pick up Connecticut radio stations on Eastern Long Island. 

23 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Wait--what?  It sounded like you had watched it! 

No, I was just being my usual pedantic self. I don't know how I stumbled on the post, but I knew it couldn't be Roddy 'cause he was long dead, so it had to be Malcolm.

For the brief time we had broadcast TV after we moved here, I don't recall getting Canadian channels, but we've had satellite forever since then, so we definitely don't.

• LOL 1

I watched the first 2 episodes. I liked them. It is very much a retread of a familiar type of show, and heavy on the tropes, but I still enjoyed it enough to come back for the next episode. 

I am not sure if I will have the patience to stick with it for the long haul, but right now I'm here.

On 7/25/2023 at 5:12 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Do you like Wonder Years?  Young Sheldon?  Did you maybe see that other show I mentioned above (The Kids Are Alright)?

Then you might like this.  That said, I have only watched 10 minutes of it so far.

So far the show isn’t living up to any of those shows  that you mentioned. But I will stick with it and give it a couple more tries. I just didn’t find it funny That having a hard time investing in the characters, but will keep trying

Something just feels off with this show but I can’t put my finger on it.  
‘Also, showing my age, but the main kid could be Davey if they ever did a live person  remake of that other weird show, Davey & Goliath ! 

S01.E03: Cello, I Must be Going
screenshot-400.webp
SURPRISE, SURPRISE – Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) fears being forced to play the cello will make him a social pariah. But when his cello is taken by a gang of bullies, Fox (Sophia Powers) begrudgingly comes to his rescue. Meanwhile, Pop (Malcolm McDowell) and Sister Rose (Nora McLellan) take a stroll down memory lane when it’s revealed they used to be an item.

Premiere Date: July 31, 2023        CW       8pm

S01.E04: Cucumber Slumber
screenshot-400.webp
THE SLEEPOVER – When Ritche (Mark Rivera) invites himself to a sleepover, Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) scrambles to hide his family’s “eccentric” behavior. Meanwhile, Mike Sr. (Mark Critch) takes a staunch pro-cucumber stance when the new vegetable buys ad time on VOCM radio.

Premiere Date: August 7, 2023        CW       8pm

S01.E05: Royal Visit
screenshot-400.webp
THE BRITISH ARE COMING – Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) fears he’ll be outed as a Monarchist to his family when he’s chosen to appear on television with the visiting Charles and Diana. Meanwhile, a gift comes between Mike Sr. (Mark Critch) and Mary (Claire Rankin), who’s tired of feeling underappreciated by her husband.

Premiere Date: August 14, 2023        CW       8pm

S01.E06: Candyland
fS3KBnoOvNlQ1AYOIxrzr7Sadlq.jpg
Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) and Ritche (Mark Rivera) receive police protection after witnessing a grizzly crime on Halloween night. Fox (Sophia Powers) grows tired of her brother’s increasingly delinquent behavior. 

Premiere Date: August 21, 2023        CW       8pm

S01.E07: Father Critch
jD7hCeOHKBlKEIBb6fCNVMFflsN.jpg
It’s confirmation week and Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) is considering what life would be like if he became a priest. But when his mentor is unexpectedly transferred, and rumors of child abuse among the clergy start to mount, Mark reassess what his religion means to him.

Premiere Date: August 28, 2023        CW       8pm

You'd think that the new priest might inspire Mark to think there could be a way to do the job as a showman and a decent person. If what he really wanted was ethics and attention, it would still work. It's interesting that he SAID that's what he wanted, but he seems to also be drawn to the buttoned up formality-- not just here, but also in the episode about the royals.

I liked that his family showed some softness and warmth in the way they cared about him this week, with wanting to find a way to respect him even if it meant they had to deal with the priests they had no respect for. 

S01.E08: Merry Critch-mas
m7ZdpaqEuavkJWLfRCzK3Q9wKbL.jpg
Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) and Ritche (Mark Rivera) help make Christmas hampers for the needy, which leads to an uncomfortable discovery about one of their classmates. Meanwhile, Mike Sr. (Mark Critch) takes a second job at the mall after his visiting brother makes him feel bad about his lackluster gifts for the family. 

Premiere Date: September 4, 2023        CW       8pm

S01.E09: Acting Normal
aIDIkRfQ9XetncNSFUx6puxPtiO.jpg
Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) and Mike Sr. (Mark Critch) unexpectedly bond over Mark’s role in the upcoming Easter play. But when Mark is fired from the production, he pretends otherwise to keep his father’s affections. Meanwhile, Pop (Malcolm McDowell) turns to Mary (Claire Rankin) for help after the CRA learns he’s been collecting his dead wife’s pension checks

Premiere Date: September 11, 2023        CW       8pm

S01.E10: Misty
wWjddEo8etCKaRHlQqDV8w6dhEM.jpg
The Critch men are left to their own devices after Mary (Claire Rankin) is hospitalized for a minor procedure. Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) has trouble balancing the household chores and accidently gives Pop (Malcolm McDowell) the wrong pills.

Premiere Date: September 18, 2023        CW       8pm

On 9/19/2023 at 9:49 AM, possibilities said:

Watching the show, I did not realize Mark gave Pop the wrong pills. Why can't Pop be responsible for his own pills? Or Mary leave written instructions so Mark doesn't get confused?  Also, are divided/scheduled pillboxes a new invention? 

Agree. And since when is a total hysterectomy a minor procedure? The father had a heart attack, (which everyone acted was like no big deal!) the kid had an epileptic seizure, the grandfather was drugged out & they all act like they were at a resort? And went home soon after. 

S01.E11: Particip-action
ggHncESciyBINpvaC38fnC4FkVZ.jpg
Parents and students take the field on Sports Day. Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) decides to treat the all-day gym class as a comedy stage, much to his teammate’s annoyance. Meanwhile, Fox (Sophia Powers) fights for her mother’s attention and attempts to break the school record for gold medals.

Premiere Date: September 25, 2023        CW       8pm

While I find watching this show to be a bit of a slog, I did like Candyland with the mum yelling at the moose in the kitchen window, telling it to go away.
Later, she sees a story about a moose-killing on the news.
At the end of the ep, it was heartwarming to see how happy and relieved she was to see her moose at the kitchen window again.

• Like 1

S01.E12: Circus
7UZKdZrfcQpoE2lObQQ1G6cpVjH.jpg
When Ritche (Mark Rivera) bails on their plans to go to the circus, Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) and Fox (Sophia Powers) find themselves going together on a maybe-date. Meanwhile, Ritche’s family hosts some new Filipino-Canadians who make him feel insecure about his heritage. 

Premiere Date: October 2, 2023        CW       8pm

S01.E13: Save the Last Dance for Me

(Season Finale)

bea4rsVjzr5jsyM8em5opMSpX4I.jpg

Having realized his feelings for Fox (Sophia Powers), Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) is hurt to learn she’s been spending time alone with Ritche (Mark Rivera). And, with the future of VOCM in doubt, Mike Sr. (Mark Critch) attempts to learn how to DJ… at Mark’s school-end dance. 

Premiere Date: October 9, 2023        CW       8pm

Next New Episode "New Date" "Season 2 Premiere": October 26, 2023 

• Useful 1

S02.E01: Growing Apart

hOLNymr47nRQcdNPLxoqDYKakhi.jpg

CH-CH-CHANGES – For the first time in his life, Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) is excited for the school year to start. But when he learns that Fox (Sophia Powers) has a new boyfriend, he realizes that not everyone grows at the same speed. Meanwhile, Mike Jr. (Colton Gobbo) struggles to tell his parents that he dropped out of school. 

Premiere Date: October 26, 2023        CW       8pm

S02.E02: You're Dead After School

y5TCAC5SuFCYHolv5nTDamDEnoB.jpg

YOU DON’T OWN ME – Fox’s (Sophia Powers) jilted boyfriend threatens to beat up Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) after school. Mark desperately asks Pop (Malcolm McDowell) to teach him to fight. Mike Sr. (Mark Critch) learns he is making less at the station than his son and Mary (Claire Rankin) pushes him to demand a raise.

Premiere Date: November 2, 2023        CW       8pm

Why would a stingy boss offer thd new kid more money than the  kid's father is getting? Surely he must have known that dad would find out and be offended and demand a raise. And the kid wouldn't assume he could ask for more than his father, so it just makes no sense.

S02.E03: Feast or Famine

heAG1sRNd3TilOlBLsikRikDfCw.jpg

MARK CRITCH TO THE OFFICE – When the school hosts a 24-hour-famine, Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) is determined to raise the most money. However, he soon learns that charity begins at home when Fox (Sophia Fox) opens up to him. Meanwhile, the refrigerator breaks at the Critch house, forcing the family to cook all their food at once.

Premiere Date: November 9, 2023        CW       8pm

• Like 1

S02.E04: Beer Necessities

z3HJSz98vyaJFYx0kEIg2beFon3.jpg

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED – To impress Fox (Sophia Fox), Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) heads off school grounds for lunch with her brothers. Things take a turn for the worse, when the older boys challenge Mark to drink his first beer. Meanwhile, Mary (Claire Rankin) takes a job selling Avon products.

Premiere Date: November 16, 2023        CW       8pm

S02.E05: Family Tree

b498EZUuNh8dZYvRKCA1MjxF4mP.jpg

OH, WHAT A TANGLED WEB – Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) uncovers dark family secrets when he researches the Critch family tree. Meanwhile, a death in the family causes Pop (Malcolm McDowell) to reassess his relationship with his son.

Premiere Date: November 23, 2023        CW       8pm

S02.E06: Who Dares Dare Hudaro?

il0YJdm82ZCdAq4mrJ9P9khvFGm.jpg

HUDARO DARES – Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) falls under the spell of a visiting hypnotist and lets his grades slip. Meanwhile, Pop (Malcolm McDowell) struggles to lose weight when he gets too fat for his pants. 

Premiere Date: November 30, 2023        CW       8pm

S02.E07: The Perfect Storm

cozagCZ2MzMyIsq2coNi6l3mCPD.jpg

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY – When an ice-storm causes a city-wide blackout, the Critch family is forced to sit and talk to each other. Mark (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) learns things about his parents he never knew before. Meanwhile, when Mike’s (Mark Critch) back goes out, Mike Jr. (Colton Gobbo) has to broadcast all night alone. 

Premiere Date: December 7, 2023        CW       8pm

I didn’t like this show when it first started but it’s gaining on me  .it’s different which is a nice change from the same old same old we usually say. But it does not seem like anyone is watching it if you can go by all the emptiness here on this thread. I can’t imagine that once the new shows start showing up, this is going to stay around .