Type keyword(s) to search

Madame Blanc Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Available on Acorn TV: 

Antiques dealer Jean White (Sally Lindsay, Mount Pleasant) is nearly bankrupt after her husband's sudden death, and so she heads to their one last asset: a cottage in antiques hub Sainte Victoire, France. There, Jean begins investigating his death, aided by sympathetic taxi driver Dom (Steve Edge). She soon finds the colorful locals have a treasure trove of other mysteries for her to assess, too.

Pleasant little mystery series -- 6 episodes on Acorn TV. No word yet on whether there will a Series 2, but I hope so.

• Love 4

There are a couple of bonus features after the 6-episodes, and in one of them the stars and film crew discuss how they couldn't film in the South of France (where the made of location of Saint Victoire is supposed to be) due to COVID travel restrictions, but they were able to film in the Maltese islands. This short series was quite nice--there was a mystery in each episode, some bigger than others, plus the overall mystery of Rory's death (he was the husband of Manchester-based antiques dealer, Jean). It was sort of a "Lovejoy-Midsomer Murders" mashup.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, J-Man said:

OK, I just watched the last episode and the reveal of the identity of the season-long villainess was just ridiculous. 

I was surprised at who it was, but I agree that the actual reveal was ridiculous. It also left me wondering if there really was a cash buyer for the cottage or if that was all on a lie. Will this mean that Jean will need to remain in Sainte Victoire after all? I guess if there's a series 2 we'll find out!

• Love 2
On 12/20/2021 at 11:26 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I agree, but the previous 5 episodes were so delightful, I am all in for Season 2!

I saw the Christmas episode and few weeks ago and didn't realize it was going to be the first of S2. Glad to see they finally dealt with Major Caron's wife. However, in the next episode (the new series started Feb 20 on Acorn), Caron was a bit distant with Jean, despite thanking her for her help clearing him of murder! Glad to see it didn't last long before he needed her antiques dealer expertise and research skills to solve the crime. I thought it was nice that Jean used the money she got from selling her ring (the one her late hubby bought for her and was murdered for by his mistress) and using that money to fund a new antiques store, partnering with that female antique dealer in S1 whose wife was creating forgeries and fraud through the shop they owned. 

I'm curious to see where the plot with the soon-to-be-released-from-prison wife--will she create havoc for Jean's new shop?

• Like 2

I just started watching this series. The last episode I saw was the one with the priest/relic. I wasn't sure when I started the series but I am really enjoying it now. I'll come back after I'm done with series one because I don't want any spoilers! 

On 2/21/2023 at 10:28 AM, kimaken said:

I saw the Christmas episode and few weeks ago and didn't realize it was going to be the first of S2. Glad to see they finally dealt with Major Caron's wife. However, in the next episode (the new series started Feb 20 on Acorn), Caron was a bit distant with Jean, despite thanking her for her help clearing him of murder! Glad to see it didn't last long before he needed her antiques dealer expertise and research skills to solve the crime. I thought it was nice that Jean used the money she got from selling her ring (the one her late hubby bought for her and was murdered for by his mistress) and using that money to fund a new antiques store, partnering with that female antique dealer in S1 whose wife was creating forgeries and fraud through the shop they owned. 

I'm curious to see where the plot with the soon-to-be-released-from-prison wife--will she create havoc for Jean's new shop?

I was surprised by Caron too. It wasn't as if Jean did anything wrong. He seemed to warm a bit near the end. 

I just started the second season on Acorn and there are only three episodes but there should be more. I don't understand why. 

11 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I was surprised by Caron too. It wasn't as if Jean did anything wrong. He seemed to warm a bit near the end. 

I just started the second season on Acorn and there are only three episodes but there should be more. I don't understand why. 

Acorn is releasing two new episodes a week.

• Thanks 1

Guess not many people are enjoying this show as much as I am.  I'm mostly fond of the characters -- many ex-pats -- in this small French town and their relationships.  It's in the best tradition of cozy mysteries.

I'm not a big fan of the older British couple -- Jeremy and his wife Judith - but Jeremy had a wonderful line in the episode where Dura, a rock start from the '70s - comes out of retirement to record at their chateau.  Jeremy explains several times, that when he met Dura many years ago, Dura mistook him for Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones and sure enough, a younger Jeremy (Robin Askwith) looks very much like a young Jones.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I guess you and I are the only 2 people watching this wonderful little mystery show! I enjoy Judith and Jeremy because they are so over the top super wealthy yet they've remained "common enough" to bond with the other ex-pats in the area.  We have Jean the art/antiques expert who also loves doing computer research and the ordinary working class (Dom, Sylvia, Niall and his wife), and now an American taxi driver, too. 

The one thing I don't like is Jean's big ol' leather crossbody satchel--that thing is UGLY! Granted, she's a mature woman with a mature figure, but that huge ugly bag does her no favors!

I enjoyed the finale this season--finally got an ending to the Barbara saga (and the murder of Jean's husband from S1); now I hope there will be a S3 so we can bask in the sun and fun of Sainte Victoire with Jean in her new life with her wonderful ex-pat friends.

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, kimaken said:

I guess you and I are the only 2 people watching this wonderful little mystery show! I enjoy Judith and Jeremy because they are so over the top super wealthy yet they've remained "common enough" to bond with the other ex-pats in the area.  We have Jean the art/antiques expert who also loves doing computer research and the ordinary working class (Dom, Sylvia, Niall and his wife), and now an American taxi driver, too. 

The one thing I don't like is Jean's big ol' leather crossbody satchel--that thing is UGLY! Granted, she's a mature woman with a mature figure, but that huge ugly bag does her no favors!

I enjoyed the finale this season--finally got an ending to the Barbara saga (and the murder of Jean's husband from S1); now I hope there will be a S3 so we can bask in the sun and fun of Sainte Victoire with Jean in her new life with her wonderful ex-pat friends.

I'm watching it and I love it! I can only hope that we get another season because I really like the characters. I hope this is a final end of Barbara. We don't need a villain, just give us good mysteries. 

10 hours ago, buckboard said:

I'm not a big fan of the older British couple -- Jeremy and his wife Judith - but Jeremy had a wonderful line in the episode where Dura, a rock start from the '70s - comes out of retirement to record at their chateau.  Jeremy explains several times, that when he met Dura many years ago, Dura mistook him for Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones and sure enough, a younger Jeremy (Robin Askwith) looks very much like a young Jones.

I wasn't a fan of theirs at first but they grew on me. I also like the Brian Jones line. I remember Robin Askwith in several movies during the early days of cable, often sex comedies. 

• Like 2
(edited)
21 minutes ago, kimaken said:

I guess you and I are the only 2 people watching this wonderful little mystery show!

Nope, there's more, how many ways are there to say you love a show?!  I'm only watching an episode a week, trying to stretch it out.

21 minutes ago, kimaken said:

The great thing about Jean is that she's at that certain age where she doesn't give a shit.  Every time she needs an item, whether it be an antique journal, the omnipresent loupe it's always in her bag of tricks.  I never even noticed what the bag looks like.

10 hours ago, buckboard said:

I'm not a big fan of the older British couple -- Jeremy and his wife Judith

I love them!  There's a nice mix of ex-pats in Sainte Victoire.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

The great thing about Jean is that she's at that certain age where she doesn't give a shit.  Every time she needs an item, whether it be an antique journal, the omnipresent loupe it's always in her bag of tricks.  I never even noticed what the bag looks like.

And I like that! To look at her, you would never know how intelligent she is and how vast her knowledge. 

Though I did think the bag was really big, however I carry a purse that I could fit a small child in. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
9 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

And I like that! To look at her, you would never know how intelligent she is and how vast her knowledge. 

Though I did think the bag was really big, however I carry a purse that I could fit a small child in. 

Like Jean, I'm at that age, too; perhaps a bit beyond as I find carrying the huge purse anymore is too hard on me so I'm scaled way back to a smallish packpack purse (too big-breasted to wear crossbody; shoulders narrorwing as I age so shoulder purse is uncomfortable), but she is indeed a regular scout--always prepared -- carrying everything but the kitchen sink in that bag!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, kimaken said:

Like Jean, I'm at that age, too; perhaps a bit beyond as I find carrying the huge purse anymore is too hard on me so I'm scaled way back to a smallish packpack purse (too big-breasted to wear crossbody; shoulders narrorwing as I age so shoulder purse is uncomfortable), but she is indeed a regular scout--always prepared -- carrying everything but the kitchen sink in that bag!

I'm that age but still love my big purse. Who knows, maybe I will scale back at some point. I always carry a big one on vacation because my husband will say "put this in your purse", things like maps, souveniers..... you name it. And I always have whatever we may need. I'm a scout just like Jean! 

Man, I just discovered this show and now I have to wait and hope for me. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 5

I also watch, and have enjoyed it.  Be sure not to miss the extra info that is at the end of the series.  I forget what they call that added bit, but the cast and crew chime in on the location, the stories, and how much they have enjoyed filming there.  It's fun to watch them discuss the show w/o some of the accents they use in the show. 

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I also watch, and have enjoyed it.  Be sure not to miss the extra info that is at the end of the series.  I forget what they call that added bit, but the cast and crew chime in on the location, the stories, and how much they have enjoyed filming there.  It's fun to watch them discuss the show w/o some of the accents they use in the show. 

Do they have that on season 2? 

• Like 2
(edited)

I liked season 2 more than season 1. Jean remains a good lead character: smart, relatable, and kind. So glad Barbara got caught. I didn't like her character at all - and not in the love-to-hate-the-villain way.

I'm also glad that Gloria's new boyfriend turned out not to be a bad guy grifter who was conning her. They seemed to be hinting strongly that was the case, so I'm relieved that was a misdirect.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Like 6
13 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I liked season 2 more than season 1. Jean remains a good lead character: smart, relatable, and kind. So glad Barbara got caught. I didn't like her character at all - and not in the love-to-hate-the-villain way.

I'm also glad that Gloria's new boyfriend turned out not to be a bad guy grifter who was conning her. They seemed to be hinting strongly that was the case, so I'm relieved that was a misdirect.

I felt that in season 2, the show got "it". 

• Like 5

I watched one of the new episodes of The Madame Blanc Mysteries last night.  It took me a few minutes to remember the events of the last 2 seasons.  I guess that is a result of so much time passing since the past season's episodes were available.   

• Like 2

I enjoyed the Madam Blanc Christmas episode, although I'm not sure where they are going with the police detective. Then again, I love everything with Jeremy and Judith. Those characters have to be so much fun to play. I find Dom to be the least interesting. 

• Like 4

sugarbaker design, the rest of season 3 will begin, I believe, in January. 

I enjoyed seeing the cast from last season in this (Agatha Christie-like) closed room mystery.  For me, the relationship among the characters is more fun in this show than figuring out who dun it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
20 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

There's only one new episode, right?  The Christmas episode.

Yes, if I recall correctly, the 2nd series started a few weeks after the Christmas episode (the one where Caron's wife was murdered), so I'm hoping the 3rd series will be starting in the next few weeks, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The "actors" in the Christmas murder mystery were so horrendously BAD, they were hilarious.  

It's was an entertaining little bit, a nice little snack before the next series.  

I REALLY hope they don't push Jean & Dom together.  That would ruin it for me.  But I would like them to bring some more art-focused stories in.  I like all the players, I just want more solid stories.  

• Like 5

New to this forum, but I've been watching Madame Blanc since it started on Acorn. I love the show.  I *really* enjoyed the "murder mystery weekend" Xmas episode.  As someone else mentioned above, the "actors" we SO bad. LOL

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, wanderingstar said:

Just finished episode 4. I'm reserving judgment for now, but did they have to make Gloria's boyfriend Cooper a bad guy? I was hoping they'd subvert that trope.

I haven't watched it but I hope that isn't the case!

• Like 2
On 3/9/2024 at 10:27 PM, BlackberryJam said:

I hope they did it to pair Gloria with Dom and free up Jean for Caron. 

I like Jean and Dom together. They have a good friendship that could develop into something more. 

• Like 2

Episode 5 was good. I'm glad Judith got a bit more to do in this one. So heartbreaking to hear the story of her miscarriage. I kinda guessed the culprit early on, but still enjoyed watching the mystery unfold. 

Charlie and Simone encouraging Gloria to join the dating app makes sense, but I'm glad Gloria decided she was fine on her own. 

I hope we see Reme Benson again. She was delightful. I wonder if she'll cross paths with Gloria since they're now both on the same dating app!

• Like 3
12 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I like Jean and Dom together. They have a good friendship that could develop into something more. 

Dom is like overcooked spaghetti to me. He can go at any time.

8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Dom is like overcooked spaghetti to me. He can go at any time.

I think he is meant 5o be a kind of average nerdy guy who gets caught up in situations he never thought he would.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I think he is meant 5o be a kind of average nerdy guy who gets caught up in situations he never thought he would.

Oh, I get what he is supposed to be. I just find the character poorly done and harmless. The actor brings no fun to the role. He's dreary.

4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Oh, I get what he is supposed to be. I just find the character poorly done and harmless. The actor brings no fun to the role. He's dreary.

I guess I like him. He is just a nice guy. 

• Like 6

I enjoy this show and its cozy mysteries. But it drives me nuts when characters who should be speaking French to each other are speaking English. Like Simone and Charlie when they are alone. Or Caron and the young wife in this latest episode. The other police officer spoke French to her and there were subtitles. But later they are all speaking English even when there is nobody there who isn’t French. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Seelouis said:

I enjoy this show and its cozy mysteries. But it drives me nuts when characters who should be speaking French to each other are speaking English. Like Simone and Charlie when they are alone. Or Caron and the young wife in this latest episode. The other police officer spoke French to her and there were subtitles. But later they are all speaking English even when there is nobody there who isn’t French. 

Its weird but I don't really notice! lol! Now I will have to pay attention. 

• Like 2