Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Welcome to the Family Business

jewel21
  • Start Topic

When Tina struggles to keep up with her job at Calvin's auto shop, due to her burgeoning baking business, he faces a tough decision: should he fire his own wife? Also, Malcolm delays breaking up with a girlfriend when her son becomes an unexpected asset to his youth baseball team.

Airdate: 11/29/2021

I could sympathize with Tina's position in this episode. Sometimes when you start something new it is a struggle and of course you don't want to leave a sure thing unil your own business stands on more firm footing. However, Calvin's stance was also understandable and I thought the scene where he  fired Tina was well-acted. And her scatting was hilarious 🤣.

I wonder if vegan beef jerkey really exists, and is it good at all.  The incompatibility between Malcolm and Ariel was illustrated well in the scene when they tried to talk on the couch. She is addicted to her phone, which understandably bothers him, but even besides that, they just didn't have anything in common besides physical attraction towards each other. I am glad they could find a resolution that was good for the kid.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Harvey said:

I could sympathize with Tina's position in this episode. Sometimes when you start something new it is a struggle and of course you don't want to leave a sure thing unil your own business stands on more firm footing. However, Calvin's stance was also understandable and I thought the scene where he  fired Tina was well-acted. And her scatting was hilarious 🤣.

They also seem to be in a good enough financial position that they can afford for Tina to take the risk, which is lucky. They don’t have kids to support, they have assets in their house & the house they rent to Malcolm & Marty (and of course in the shop itself), and the shop is doing well enough that it’s expanding. This is a good time for her to take the risk. 

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 5

People on TV shows start home baking businesses but never have to deal with health department regulations. I know "it's only a TV show", but I have a friend who had to add an entire separate kitchen to his house to start his business. It could actually be an interesting episode to see them handling the consequences of a health inspection.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

People on TV shows start home baking businesses but never have to deal with health department regulations. I know "it's only a TV show", but I have a friend who had to add an entire separate kitchen to his house to start his business. It could actually be an interesting episode to see them handling the consequences of a health inspection.

I know Florida allows cottage food kitchens (something like that). It allows people to produce certain foods for sale in their home kitchens. I believe it's only certain types of food (I know baked goods are okay, there's probably others) and you can't earn over a certain amount on a year. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I know Florida allows cottage food kitchens (something like that). It allows people to produce certain foods for sale in their home kitchens. I believe it's only certain types of food (I know baked goods are okay, there's probably others) and you can't earn over a certain amount on a year. 

We have something similar in Texas because the GF bakery I buy things at from the Farmer's Market has a caveat on their Facebook and webpages about them being a cottage food kitchen. Per Google, Los Angeles County has something similar. They have two different classifications and Tina is probably a Class A - selling out of her kitchen, at farmer's markets, directly to people and bake sales and holiday bazaars. 

I loved her wrapped car! That was so cute.