Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Dog Star Swing

Message added by tessaray,

Note: Any references to future episodes or the classic anime should use Spoiler tags.

• Start Topic

Woodcock was a hoot. Oh my god that first scene in the Bebop had me in stitches.

The slaughter in the factory was hard to watch.

Ein is best boi in any version of Bebop.

Wait, so Spike and Vicious are brothers in this?

• Love 2

Spike continues to bother me since he doesn't seem to be enjoying himself and his delivery of jokes seems off. All of the other actors seem committed to their roles.

I am guessing that all of the naked "fugees" had their eyes fused shut so that they could never use the Red Eye that they were making. So essentially they were doing their job "blind" which doesn't seem like the best solution from a productivity standpoint. A better idea would have been to fuse a glass lens over each eye so that they could never use the Red Eye while also providing OSHA Approved safety eyewear.

Julia notices Spike's favorite drink is prominent on Ana's cart.

For someone who doesn't have any money, Spike seems to be able to get whatever he wants, he didn't even return the sniper rifle for a refund, he just left it there.

Now Jett has to keep that Hund just in case his daughter ever pops by for a visit.

Sounds like something happened and everybody evacuated Earth?

• Love 2

Ein is such a good boy, what a sweet smart doggie he is. The show is now automatically better with him around, of course the killer couldn't kill him, the dogs are way too cute. The main bad guy was a lot of fun, sucks that he got killed as soon as he was about to turn himself in, made me laugh how happy he was to hear about how big his bounty was. 

The rest of the episode I was less into, the show seems like its trying too hard to be wacky. I normally really like John Cho, but I don't think he was the right choice for Spike, he just doesn't have that flippant air about him. 

There was way too much gratuitous nudity and violence in this episode, and I am not one who normally complains about that sort of thing. What was the narrative purpose of Vicious shooting a bunch of naked people to death in graphic detail in slow motion? What did that accomplish besides being uncomfortable. We already know Vicious is a bad guy, we don't need to see more of him being a bad guy. What was the tone being set? In general this show has a tone problem, and this episode was the worst yet. 

Anime gripes below 

Spoiler

I don't really like Jet having a daughter, even if Jet has always had a very paternal nature to him. A major point of the show was how isolated all of the main characters were, him having a daughter he has a relationship with, even if he isn't around much, takes away from that. Its also such a generic plot, guy tries to get away from his cool adventures to be with his cute kid who's with the constantly pissed off ex wife in suburbia.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Ein is such a good boy, what a sweet smart doggie he is. The show is now automatically better with him around, of course the killer couldn't kill him, the dogs are way too cute.

The Baddie holding the gun to the dogs was really hard for me to watch (not knowing how it was going to end) but I literally squealed out loud when Ein finally showed up. He is the reason I am watching the show. I have a bit of a corgi fetish, but it's purely platonic, I swear. 

So far this show is still making me smile. It's a fun ride. Though I do wish Spike had taken out Vicious Malfoy. I just can't take the man seriously as the main antagonist. He's just too cartoonish. I think the anime version of him is probably more realistic. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Anime gripes below 

Hide contents

I don't really like Jet having a daughter, even if Jet has always had a very paternal nature to him. A major point of the show was how isolated all of the main characters were, him having a daughter he has a relationship with, even if he isn't around much, takes away from that. Its also such a generic plot, guy tries to get away from his cool adventures to be with his cute kid who's with the constantly pissed off ex wife in suburbia.

Spoiler

I have decided that I need to go into this as a homage to the anime and not a full on adaption which yes I know I should have thought that from the beginning.  I am not liking the changes they have made for the characters but for the most part I can look past those but I am having a super hard time with Vicious, it's almost like he is trying way to hard to be....well vicious.  Another point.....there's too much dialog, we tend to go back and watch the anime episodes it's based off of and it's just so different, which I kind of came into knowing it would be.....but still.....and also.....where did this Fearless thing come from??  I don't remember that in the anime at all.......

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, TigerLily20 said:
  Hide contents

I have decided that I need to go into this as a homage to the anime and not a full on adaption which yes I know I should have thought that from the beginning.  I am not liking the changes they have made for the characters but for the most part I can look past those but I am having a super hard time with Vicious, it's almost like he is trying way to hard to be....well vicious.  Another point.....there's too much dialog, we tend to go back and watch the anime episodes it's based off of and it's just so different, which I kind of came into knowing it would be.....but still.....and also.....where did this Fearless thing come from??  I don't remember that in the anime at all.......

Spoiler

"Fearless" wasn't in the anime at all. My guess is it's a nickname similar to "Vicious" where they picked code names based on their personalities or whatever. It worked for Vicious in the anime but I don't like that Spike isn't just Spike.

Ah, so now we get to the important stuff: introducing the corgi that we've been seeing in the open credits all this time!  Actually, I've heard about Ein going in, so I'm glad we finally get him "joining the crew."  He was awesome as expected, but, to be fair, every show can improve with a corgi!  Even already great ones.  Just imagine how much better Succession would be if a corgi was hanging around with the Roys...

So, it looks like we're basically going to be doing a "bounty of the week" kind of thing that will usually end up going south for Spike and Jet.  While it's not a bad thing in theory, I'm just not all what wild about this duo yet.  The actors don't have much of a rapport (yet?) and I think a lot of it is just because John Cho seems way too indifferent here.  I'm not sure if this is an acting choice by him or he's being directed this way, but he seems to have way less of a presence compared to almost everything else I'm seen him in.  I almost can't believe this is the sam guy who was damn charismatic and charming on Selfie (still miss that show.)

I can't decide yet if I like or hate Vicious and how over-the-top he is.

Another episode without Fay.  I don't know if this is holding true to how she came about in the original version/anime, but I really feel like these previous episodes could have used her type of energy.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Another episode without Fay.  I don't know if this is holding true to how she came about in the original version/anime, but I really feel like these previous episodes could have used her type of energy.

I´ll cover it as spoilers just in case:

Spoiler

It took about four sessions for Faye to join the crew in the anime. But the cases are a bit mixed up, they are not following the same order or some are even missing.