Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E05: Jayden

shantown
  • Start Topic

After a terrifying burn accident as a child, Jayden grows up hoping to become a firefighter and fight California's notorious forest fires; after a series of tragic events, 20-year-old Jayden now smokes dangerous amounts of fentanyl.

Airs 11/15/21 (10:01-11:04pm) on A&E

Wow. Sounds like a real heart breaking episode. I think I'll let others watch it and just check back in here for comments. Maybe I will muster up the courage to watch. 

I hope Jayden took the help and is living the beautiful life she deserves

That firefighter from the camps he went to was I think what turned him and helped him the most in going to treatment. I don't even know these people and I got emotional with that letter, way more so than the mom and siblings. Also, I freaking adore Sylvia. I think she gave him the gentle mothering attitude that he needed and was the perfect interventionist for him. I really hope he can be successful. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Burning Rubber said:

Mom really downplayed her disastrous mothering during her meth addiction. She made herself sound like she was a model mom with just a mild case of meth. That made her claims of only being a one wine glass a day alcoholic rather dubious.

I think her children knew about her drug use, even though she didn’t think so.  They definitely saw her ‘ six month’ absence a lot more clearly than she did. That was supposedly sometime after she kicked the meth habit.  There was a lot more to this story  than we saw 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, sara416 said:

I thought their reaction when she "confessed" during the pre-intervention was awfully mild if they really didn't know about it. Could have been editing magic, but I think they knew. 

Many times, there's the misconception (or wishful thinking, or delusion, or denial) that kids don't know or notice things. Kids of all ages understand a lot more than many adults are willing to admit. 

Edited by hookedontv
  • Love 3

Bless that camp mentor for really putting in the effort to help Jayden. He is Jayden's best hope for a new life, and I was pleased to see Jayden was keeping in contact with him. I have to admit the minute they said "...and then he went to burn camp..." I thought, oh no, someone preyed on his insecurities and molested him there. I was so glad that wasn't the case.  

• Love 1