Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Crisis Actor

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

When armed gunmen storm the set of a controversial cable news show that promotes conspiracy theories, the team races to prevent a hostage situation from escalating on live TV. Also, Chris supports Street as he prepares for his mother’s funeral.

letter-c.png

So...that's it for Sanchez? Some cozy gig for a studio boss, and he just accepts it on a whim and decides to forget why he joined SWAT in the first place?

I mean, I guess it's in character for him to cave so easily and chase his ambitions...but this ending feels so underwhelming.

Not even maybe a minute of dialogue and *poof*- the storyline is done.

Why did I waste four episodes on this?

I hope that there's still some legs left in the anti-corruption storyline and we get Hondo taking down more people...because for Sanchez to be "it" in terms of the aftermath of Hondo's actions in going to the press in S4 would be such a massive letdown.

I do appreciate Hicks taking one for Hondo this time and repaying the favour Hondo did for him. That was nice. I wonder if Hicks' own job will hang by a thread and it'll be a recurring storyline this season.

As much as I hate for Hicks to have problems, I really do want more to come of the anti-corruption storyline from somewhere because to end it on this kind of a whimper is too frustrating.

Anyway, I've belaboured that point. On to other things...the case was interesting, and I liked that Tripp Hersch was regretful for what he had done and realized the error of his ways. I also liked that Christina Alonso- rightly- told him that once you start the fire, you have to own that you did. Methinks Hersch will now try to rebuild his image and make up for his lost ways, no matter how long that takes.

I also like Hondo and Nichelle are a thing now. I'd suggest for the still single Shemar Moore to actually pursue Rochelle Aytes but Aytes is already married, so...they have to keep things on screen, Oh well.

Oh, and good for the SWAT team attend Karen Street's funeral...Jim doesn't have to read that eulogy to no one and Hondo's right...can't play Bryan Adams to no one.

A middling effort.

No new episodes until December 3, according to The Futon Critic. There may be an episode or two after that before the Christmas break after which it shifts to Sundays starting January 2.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

So...that's it for Sanchez? Some cozy gig for a studio boss, and he just accepts it on a whim and decides to forget why he joined SWAT in the first place?

AMEN to that. What a putz.

• Love 2

Agree it does seem sort of anti-climatic for that to be the end of Sanchez (but won't miss the guy) but seriously, this can't be it?  No way TPTB leave Hondo alone.  The question is how do they go about it now?  As suggested, could they just mess with Hicks?  If none of this comes to pass then, why even bother to have done the storyline in the first place?

Glad that the team went to Street's mom funeral as well although it would seem that would be an obvious outcome.  Granted, Street's not the sharpest tool in the shed but he should know these folks are there for him.

I suspect that new epis will be few and far between until after the Winter Games.

• Love 2

That’s it with Sanchez??? Argh come on! At least have a courtesy to end it with a bang. That’s so underwhelming. 👎

Erica had a much better & dramatic exit! 🙄

Am glad that Hondo is back with Nichelle. They have great chemistry. Hope that Hondo won’t screw this up, again.

• Love 3

I didn't really care much fof the plot about the hostage situation at the TV station.  The guy at the station was a derivative or composite of numerous people in the media.  The actor was great, though. 

I thought that the story about Jim's mother's funeral was well done.  Alex Russell has been really good at playing the conflict with Jim and his mom.  Karen was batshit crazy, but she was his mom and still deserved a decent sendoff.  So it was nice that Chris encouraged him to go ahead with the service and that the team joined them.  I liked the scene at the end when the team joined JIm to go to the funeral.  My favorite part of that was Tan's collection of items for Karen's casket. I've never heard of that tradition but it was an interesting detail.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 1

Here's why I think Sanchez was so easy to get rid of and why I think he was just the first round, rather than the whole bout.

1. He mentioned to Deac and Luca that the higher-ups are never going to reinstate Hondo, and indeed they haven't. 

3. He told Hondo that the commissioner's going to make his life miserable, and I quote, "'I'm just the start."

He's stated numerous times that if it's not him, it will be someone else.

I think they intentionally made Sanchez not really have any teeth. Through his words and actions, he's made it clear that it's nothing personal against Hondo. I think his "advice" was sincere and that he feels he's actually "helping" by giving Hondo a way out. It's  not personal.

So, Sanchez was a symptom of the problem. It's like having a cold and taking something for your sniffles. You're still sick.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:24 PM, Danielg342 said:

I do appreciate Hicks taking one for Hondo this time and repaying the favour Hondo did for him. That was nice. I wonder if Hicks' own job will hang by a thread and it'll be a recurring storyline this season.

As much as I hate for Hicks to have problems, I really do want more to come of the anti-corruption storyline from somewhere because to end it on this kind of a whimper is too frustrating.

THIS is what's going to happen.

He didn't get the okay to reinstate Hondo. Sanchez could not have foreshadowed more that he would not be the last obstacle but was only the first lob in what I believe will be a major escalation.

Sanchez is not the cause of the problem. The commissioner sent someone in there he knew would be focused on getting Hondo out. But Sanchez was smart enough to realize that he'd be heading up that team forever, because he would not be accomplishing his mission, and by then all of his opportunities would dry up.

But trust me, the fact that Hondo's reinstatement is far from "clean" is a good indication that this is not close to being over.

As for the story, I liked that they didn't resort to stereotypes. I thought it was a nice change of pace that the host of the show wasn't a frothing-at-the-mouth conspiracy theorist and that the most dangerous guy was the one who used to believe in them but was hit with a dose of reality and was pissed off about alienating everyone who ever cared about him.

• Love 1

My main complaints about this episode:   
the Nichelle reunion occurred when exactly? 
Darrell is old enough to move out now?   Mom is just gone with Dad?  Convenient 

And finally.  This episode began with Street discussing his moms funeral, which was taking place that afternoon. All the events in this episode happened between the morning and mid afternoon? Including Sanchez getting offered, accepting a new position and turning in his resignation? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2