Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: Stomp the Roach

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

This is a spoiler free topic. If it did not happen on THIS episode, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

On 10/23/2021 at 1:43 PM, sATL said:

Judy's "1,2,3,LINE".. is now a duet with Kelli saying the "LINE"...🤣.. Kelli don't take the one job aspect that Judy seems to want to hold onto...let her have her day...

I watched this year and wondered how Judy does not lose it.  I know they are just learning it but the lines looked terrible!

• Love 1

Late to the party, but here are my thoughts! And some genuine questions for dancers.

First, I'm just not getting it with Amber. We haven't seen much of her, but what they do show doesn't seem impressive. I was a lot more thrilled with Kylie. And with Presley, I wish they'd show some wow moments. Or even just anything of her at all. Because I'm not getting it there, either. I'm sure she's a lovely person, just not seeing it, and if it's there, why not show us? 

I loved seeing more of the technique, both with the field entrance and the kick clinic. Which leads me to these thoughts: Is it normal to put your shoes up on the mirror like that? I understand the walls, but the mirror? Then with Kelli's comment about everyone's extensions staying in (I thought that was cute), I really got to thinking more about those things than I already did ...

How does makeup hold up throughout a game? I can't even get through a day at my desk job without my eyeliner smudging. I truly don't understand how dancers get through a game without being able to check the mirror every once in a while. I certainly couldn't go through one sweaty dance practice without SOMETHING going wrong with hair or makeup. And what kind of foundation holds up to all that sweat? 

In a similar vein, and I mean this (not trying to be funny or nasty) ... some things about long, sweaty days of dancing don't seem particularly ... hygenic? Again, I'm not a dancer. But when I see the girls in the studio rolling al over the floor during solos, I truly can't help but think about the fact that they're placing their hands where someone else's sweaty personal parts were just touching the floor. And with hooking up in the kick line next to each other, don't they end up smelling a lot of armpits and other things? As a germaphobe, it's just interesting to me, honestly. 

ETA: The part about Jordann's brother was absurd if you ask me. I've dealt with similar things in my family and understand that it's an important message, but that was just WAY out of place and a perfect example of producers pandering and hunting for any story they could find. 

Edited by PicnicLife77
Extra thought
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, PicnicLife77 said:

Late to the party, but here are my thoughts! And some genuine questions for dancers.

First, I'm just not getting it with Amber. We haven't seen much of her, but what they do show doesn't seem impressive. I was a lot more thrilled with Kylie. And with Presley, I wish they'd show some wow moments. Or even just anything of her at all. Because I'm not getting it there, either. I'm sure she's a lovely person, just not seeing it, and if it's there, why not show us? 

I loved seeing more of the technique, both with the field entrance and the kick clinic. Which leads me to these thoughts: Is it normal to put your shoes up on the mirror like that? I understand the walls, but the mirror? Then with Kelli's comment about everyone's extensions staying in (I thought that was cute), I really got to thinking more about those things than I already did ...

How does makeup hold up throughout a game? I can't even get through a day at my desk job without my eyeliner smudging. I truly don't understand how dancers get through a game without being able to check the mirror every once in a while. I certainly couldn't go through one sweaty dance practice without SOMETHING going wrong with hair or makeup. And what kind of foundation holds up to all that sweat? 

In a similar vein, and I mean this (not trying to be funny or nasty) ... some things about long, sweaty days of dancing don't seem particularly ... hygenic? Again, I'm not a dancer. But when I see the girls in the studio rolling al over the floor during solos, I truly can't help but think about the fact that they're placing their hands where someone else's sweaty personal parts were just touching the floor. And with hooking up in the kick line next to each other, don't they end up smelling a lot of armpits and other things? As a germaphobe, it's just interesting to me, honestly. 

ETA: The part about Jordann's brother was absurd if you ask me. I've dealt with similar things in my family and understand that it's an important message, but that was just WAY out of place and a perfect example of producers pandering and hunting for any story they could find. 

They can take bathroom breaks and probably use that opportunity to touch up makeup. 

Rolling around on the floor during dances etc is gross but part of the job. Kickline - yes you can smell other people's armpits. But honestly, when you're on a team like this, you are so used to that sort of thing it's not as jarring as you would expect. It's just par for the course! 

I agree about the part with Jordann's brother. I'm tired of all the sob stories. They're taking up too much screentime and 99% of the time they're not relevant to the show and seem very exaggerated ("!$%# I don't have a sob story! What can I say?!? Oh!! My grandmother, who I only met once, died 10 years ago and to this day I sometimes struggle to get out of bed because of it. I'm doing this for her, because it would have been her dream for me to be a DCC." )

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, PicnicLife77 said:

I understand what they are trying to do to revamp their image, but these segments are totally uninspiring and unnecessary. I'm very close to fast-forwarding through them, they are just that cringe-worthy.

I'm also willing to bet that even though weight is still included on their contracts and K&J will certainly cut girls based on weight gain/not looking good in the uniform, we will never see it on the show again.

• Love 7
On 10/23/2021 at 4:31 PM, RedbirdNelly said:

If I were me, I would want to have some extra people as long as possible--i.e. what if candidate X seems to fix an issue but 2 practices later she's back to messing that up? and maybe the person you are cutting today would have improved enough to be a better choice than candidate X? just my way of thinking. I'd have to cut 3-4 on the last night.

I noticed that now we have a digital board we cant see who got stickers from guest judges as well much opportunity to see who moved up or down on the list.  I'd be very interested if anyone below the line moves up or down over the weeks. I always got the feeling there was not much movement and they pretty much know who will be cut within 1 or 2.  If so, they don't need to keep them a long time like you are thinking.   It would also be interesting to see if someone moves up into top 36 from below the line.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

I noticed that now we have a digital board we cant see who got stickers from guest judges as well much opportunity to see who moved up or down on the list.  I'd be very interested if anyone below the line moves up or down over the weeks. I always got the feeling there was not much movement and they pretty much know who will be cut within 1 or 2.  If so, they don't need to keep them a long time like you are thinking.   It would also be interesting to see if someone moves up into top 36 from below the line.  

I feel like with very few exceptions, they have the team picked by the end of the first week. You don’t need six weeks to figure out that someone isn’t a fit for the team or can’t keep up, and I think a lot of the cuts are just drawn out for the purposes of the show. I would guess that 90% of the rookie candidates are either hard yes or hard no by the end of week 1, and then there are a few who are strung along in case someone quits, get injured, or has to be unexpectedly cut for behavior.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
On 10/25/2021 at 7:50 PM, blairwaldorf said:

Rolling around on the floor during dances etc is gross but part of the job. Kickline - yes you can smell other people's armpits. But honestly, when you're on a team like this, you are so used to that sort of thing it's not as jarring as you would expect. It's just par for the course! 

I agree about the part with Jordann's brother. I'm tired of all the sob stories. They're taking up too much screentime and 99% of the time they're not relevant to the show and seem very exaggerated ("!$%# I don't have a sob story! What can I say?!? Oh!! My grandmother, who I only met once, died 10 years ago and to this day I sometimes struggle to get out of bed because of it. I'm doing this for her, because it would have been her dream for me to be a DCC." )

I miss the days when we had background stories instead of sob stories. Or that the "sob" stories weren't always about someone's death or addiction. Remember Abigail Klein, how she wanted to go to the prom even though it was held the same weekend as DCC auditions? She ended up doing both, though calling it an early night at the prom so she could brush up on football facts, and of course we all know she kicked azz at DCC auditions. She made sure she had a balanced life--that was the story. Ahh, the good ol' days!

Speaking of rolling around on the floor during dances, is anyone else sick and tired of lyrical/contemporary? They're all doing the same damn moves which is so damned unmoving.

@PicnicLife77 I agree re: Amber. I don't get her appeal either!

Edited by Grandma Moses
Forgot to add something
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Grandma Moses said:

I miss the days when we had background stories instead of sob stories. Or that the "sob" stories weren't always about someone's death or addiction. Remember Abigail Klein, how she wanted to go to the prom even though it was held the same weekend as DCC auditions? She ended up doing both, though calling it an early night at the prom so she could brush up on football facts, and of course we all know she kicked azz at DCC auditions. She made sure she had a balanced life--that was the story. Ahh, the good ol' days!

Speaking of rolling around on the floor during dances, is anyone else sick and tired of lyrical/contemporary? They're all doing the same damn moves which is so damned unmoving.

@PicnicLife77 I agree re: Amber. I don't get her appeal either!

I think they should do like the NFL...line 'em up and have them tell us where they are from and what university they cheered for, one after another.

• Love 6

This group of rookies has to be the absolute prettiest I’ve ever seen. The girls are just out and out flippin’ gorgeous!!! 

Judy looks like she is tired and over it at this point, like the enthusiasm is gone. I guess you can only yell, “AND ONE!” so many times before becoming completely jaded. 

And now we wait for the return of Skeletor…..

• LOL 2
  • Love 2