Type keyword(s) to search

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

I missed this at the cinema, and I'm regretting that now, because I'd love to have watched it on the big screen.

Emotionally, it was everything I wanted the last movie in the trilogy to be. It packed a real punch, with all the characters getting moments to shine. Obviously, it was mainly Rocket's movie, and it's crazy that a CGI squirrel can be the emotional heart of a big, action movie.

Yes, the scenes with Lylla, Teefs and Floor were emotionally manipulative. Yes, it was obvious those characters were going to die. Yes, it was saccharine in parts. But it didn't matter, because they absolutely nailed something that always breaks my heart when I see animals suffering - the innocence and the lack of comprehension that the world can be a bad place. Those three had complete faith in their dream of a new world, with sky and friends, and they could hold onto that and be happy, even though they were stuck in dirty cages in the bowels of a ship. It's such a simple conceit, but I'll fall for it every damned time.

The High Evolutionary was a top tier Marvel villain. Absolutely nothing redeeming about him, he wasn't cool or badass, there was nothing to latch onto that might make them want to bring him back as an anti-hero. He was despicable, a mad scientist who was willing to torture, mutilate and kill to further his own goals. But he wasn't cold and detached, he wasn't a clinical experimenter, he was full of rage and insecurity and pettiness.

We got a lot of Nebula, but I wish we'd gotten more, and more focus on the fact that she and Rocket had been working together for five years during the Blip. Of course, Nebula hides her feelings behind anger, but we should have had some moments of her alone, where she felt it. That moment when she broke down and sobbed when she heard Rocket's voice was almost enough to make up for it.

Something I could have done with less of - Quill and his insistence on questioning Gamora about "remembering" things she never even experienced. She wasn't there, dude, she didn't save the world with you or defeat Ego or face Thanos. You're a stranger. Again, this is a storyline that needed more Nebula, who also lost Gamora, and also had to come to terms with it. She apparently processed it healthily enough that she could meet Gamora on Gamora's terms - terse nod of greeting, business-like attitude. But I did like the final scene with Quill and Gamora, where he accepted she wasn't his and she accepted that she could have been, if things were different. It was sweet, and surprisingly grown up.

Drax the dad is always nice. Dave Baustista has a real warmth to him that puts him clear of other wrestlers-turned-actors. I adored the bit at the end, where he stands stoic while all the kids dance around him, only to suddenly join in. 

I feel like Mantis has been mostly comic relief, but I'm glad she's got her own journey, even if the movie was vague about what that would be.

Elizabeth Debicki was wasted, which sucked, but Adam was fun as the brand new thing, and he should be fun as he grows in future appearances. 

Really, it's a shame that Nebula and Drax are such makeup and prosthetics intensive characters, because it means we're unlikely to get any more of them in the MCU. Nebula has been such a surprising character, and I really want to see more of her, but this made it seem like a retirement for the character. I know Bautista doesn't want to play Drax again. Of every character in the movie, we get promised more Star Lord and... eh, I'm not that fussed about him.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

The High Evolutionary was a top tier Marvel villain. Absolutely nothing redeeming about him, he wasn't cool or badass, there was nothing to latch onto that might make them want to bring him back as an anti-hero. He was despicable, a mad scientist who was willing to torture, mutilate and kill to further his own goals. But he wasn't cold and detached, he wasn't a clinical experimenter, he was full of rage and insecurity and pettiness.

Honestly?  When it comes down to it, I'd say he's actually the most evil of all of their villains.  

Thanos might have had a higher body count, but at least most of those deaths were basically random.  The High Evolutionary killed for no real reason but his own ego.  When even Nebula was sick to her stomach watching Rocket's memories...

Gunn said that Drax saved him and they locked him up on Knowhere, but honestly, I'm okay thinking they left him to die.

• Like 2
(edited)

Everything New You Can Stream on Disney+ in September 2023
By Emily Hewitt    AUGUST 16, 2023
https://d23.com/everything-new-you-can-stream-on-disney-in-september-2023/ 

Two other films that document the making of epic Marvel films and shows include Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which will premiere on September 13 and Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of Secret Invasion, which will premiere on September 20.
Wednesday, September 13
Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Season 5, 7 Episodes)
Raven’s Home (Season 6, 4 Episodes)
Marvel’s Spidey and his Amazing Friends (Season 2, 7 Episodes)
Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (Premiere)
Star Wars: Ahsoka (Episode 5)
Animals Up Close with Bertie Gregory (Premiere, All Episodes Streaming)

Edited by tv echo

Rewatched it on Blu-Ray and it really hit me that James Gunn must have taken one look at how Peter was done in IW/Endgame and realized he needed to do a character overhaul because as much as I don’t like Chris Pratt, wow he was more badass in this movie than he was in quite a while. And even if the movie focused entirely too much on Peter’s grief over Gamora than the rest of the Guardians’ grief, at least the story had him come to the same healthy resolution about letting go that Thor had (say what you want about Love and Thunder but at least the movie did that right). 

I can’t believe it took me this long to realize that the “Dog Days” finale was one last tribute to Footloose’s dance party ending. Especially with Drax just letting loose with his inner dancer. I think it was saying goodbye to Mantis that finally did it. He’d lost so many people by that point that maybe he was tired of the sadness and decided to focus on the sweetness of life instead of the bitter.

“Badlands” was the perfect final credits song for the franchise.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3
On 5/18/2023 at 8:32 AM, KatWay said:

I'll be honest, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't like it much. There were some good parts and the ending felt satisfying overall but I thought it dragged on a lot and was both overly grim and cheesy at times.

On 5/10/2023 at 1:25 PM, tennisgurl said:

This movie was surprisingly dark and gory, the High Revolutionary's horribly ruined face, everything that was done to the poor animals, the casual destruction of the animal planet, shit got very real. Although I really am not all that surprised, for a series that is famous for being a light hearted fun space opera, the Guardians series also has had some of the most disturbing things in the whole MCU, like Ego's cave full of the skeletal remains of his murdered children.

I didn't like it at all, frankly. Too disturbing, too violent, too torture-y, not enough humor. The other films had disturbing violence too but on balance it tilted a lot more toward light-hearted space opera. This was a slog of pain and grotesque human & animal experimentation. I was really excited for a fun Saturday night flick and ended up needing to take a couple hours afterwards to regulate my nervous system before I could go to sleep. And honestly I'm not even that sensitive to animal cruelty, it's not a big trigger for me. So, I don't know, this just wasn't the right movie or the right day for me.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 received a Golden Globe nomination during this morning's announcements...

Golden Globes 2024: See All the Nominations Here
BY KATEY RICH   DECEMBER 11, 2023
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/golden-globes-2024-see-all-the-nominations-here 

... The 81st Golden Globe Awards will air live on CBS and stream on Paramount+ on Sunday, January 7, 2024, at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET.
Cinematic and Box Office Achievement
Barbie
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3
John Wick: Chapter 4
Mission: Impossibles - Dead Reckoning Part One
Oppenheimer
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

(edited)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 got 4 nominations for 2024 Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards...

Nominations Announced for 11th Annual Guild Awards
IATSE Local 706    January 2, 2024
https://local706.org/nominations-for-11th-annual-guild-awards/ 

The Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild has announced nominations for the 2024 MUAHS Guild Awards. Winners will be honored at the awards gala, presented by Ardell, on Sunday, February 18, 2024 at Fairmont Century Plaza, Los Angeles, CA. The MUAHS Awards represent a spectrum of outstanding achievements in 23 categories of make-up and hair styling artistry in motion pictures, television, commercials, music videos and live theater. The announcement was made by Julie Socash, IATSE Local 706 President.
FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE:

1. Best Contemporary Make-up

Candy Cane Lane
Tym Shutchai Buacharern, Michele Lewis, Jennifer Zide-Essex, Yvettra Grantham

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Jane Galli, Personal to Chris Pratt

The Haunted Mansion
Kimberly Jones, Dionne Wynn, Bridgit Crider, Carla VanNessa Wallace

Nyad
Felicity Bowring, Ann Maree Hurley, Julie Hewett, Mahar Lessner

Saltburn
Siân Miller, Laura Allen

2. Best Period and/or Character Make-up

Barbie
Ivana Primorac, Victoria Down, Maha Mimo,

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3
Alexei Dmitriew, Nicole Sortillon, Amos Samantha Ward, LuAndra Whitehurst

Maestro
Siân Grigg, Jackie Risotto, Elisa Tallerico, Nicky Pattison-Illum

Oppenheimer
Luisa Abel, Jason Hamer, Kerrin Jackson, Jamie Loree Hess

Poor Things
Nadia Stacey

3. Best Special Make-up Effects

Golda       
Karen Hartley Thomas, Suzi Battersby

Alexei Dmitriew, Lindsay MacGowen, Shane Mahan, Scott Stoddard

Maestro
Kazu Hiro, Siân Grigg, Duncan Jarman, Mike Mekash

Poor Things
Nadia Stacey, Mark Coulier

Rebel Moon: Part One – A Child of Fire
Ozzy Alvarez, Justin Raleigh, Kelsey Berk, Jonathan Shroyer
5. Best Period Hair Stylingand/or Character Hair Styling

Barbie
Ivana Primorac, Marie Larkin, Clare Corsick

Chevalier
Roo Maurice, Francesco Pegoretti

The Color Purple
Lawrence Davis, Andrea Mona Bowman, Tym Wallace

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3
Cassandra Lyn Russek, Stephanie Fenner, Peter Tothpal, Connie Criswell

Maestro
Kay Georgiou, Lori McCoy-Bell, Jameson Eaton, Amanda Duffy-Evans

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 got 1 nomination from the Set Decorators Society of America for its SDSA Film Awards 2023...

https://www.setdecorators.org/sites/setdecorators/pdf/2023_SDSA_Awards_Film_Press_Release_Nominations_Annoucement_1-5-24.pdf 

SDSA AWARDS FILM 2023 NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED

LOS ANGELES, January 5, 2024—The Set Decorators Society of America, An International Organization, announces the nominations for the SDSA Awards Film 2023, celebrating excellence in the art of Set Decoration for films released in 2023, selected from four (4) categories.
Best Achievement in Décor/Design of a Fantasy or Science Fiction Film
BARBIE
Set Decoration by Katie Spencer SDSA with Production Design by Sarah Greenwood
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3
Set Decoration by Rosemary Brandenburg SDSA with Production Design by Beth Mickle
THE HUNGER GAMES: THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS & SNAKES
Set Decoration by Sabine Schaaf with Production Design by Uli Hanisch
INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY
Set Decoration by Anna Pinnock with Production Design by Adam Stockhausen
WONKA
Set Decoration by Lee Sandales with Production Design by Nathan Crowley

Edited by tv echo

GotG3 got 1 nomination for SAG Awards...

Nominations Announced for the 30th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards®
The SAG Awards® Ceremony will Stream Live Globally Saturday, Feb. 24 Only on Netflix

January 10, 2024
https://www.sagawards.org/media/news/releases/nominations-announced-30th-annual-screen-actors-guild-awardsr

The Stunt Ensemble Honors Nominees are: 
Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
BARBIE
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3
INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY
JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING PART ONE

(edited)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 was nominated for an Art Directors Guild Award... 

Art Directors Guild Awards Nominees: ‘Barbie’, ‘Oppenheimer’, ‘John Wick: Chapter 4’ & More
By Erik Pedersen    Jan 9, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/art-directors-guild-awards-2024-nominees-list-1235700210/  

Winners will be announced February 10 at Ovation Hollywood’s Ray Dolby Ballroom. The late production designer Lawrence G. Paull, a Blade Runner Oscar nominee whose credits also include Back to the Future and Romancing the Stone, will be inducted into the ADG Hall of Fame during the ceremony. 
FANTASY FEATURE FILM 

Barbie
Production Designer: Sarah Greenwood

The Creator
Production Designer: James Clyne

Production Designer: Beth Mickle

Poor Things
Production Designers: James Price, Shona Heath

Wonka
Production Designer: Nathan Crowley

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

GotG3 got 6 nominations for VES Awards...

‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse,’ ‘The Last of Us’ Among Visual Effects Society Awards Nominees
By Diego Ramos Bechara    Jan 16, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/visual-effects-society-awards-nominees-2024-complete-list-1235873314/ 

Awards will be presented at the 22nd Annual VES Awards on Feb. 21 at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. 
OUTSTANDING VISUAL EFFECTS IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE 

“Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” 

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” 

“Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” 

“Oppenheimer” 

“The Creator” 
OUTSTANDING ANIMATED CHARACTER IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE 

“Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom”; Topo the Octopus 

“Godzilla Minus One”; Godzilla 

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”; Rocket 

“Wonka”; Oompa Loompa 
OUTSTANDING CREATED ENVIRONMENT IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE 

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”; Knowhere 

“Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny”; Underwater Wreck Environment 

“John Wick: Chapter 4”; Place de L’Étoile 

“The Creator”; Floating Village 
OUTSTANDING VIRTUAL CINEMATOGRAPHY IN A CG PROJECT 

“Migration” 

“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” 

“The Creator” 
OUTSTANDING MODEL IN A PHOTOREAL OR ANIMATED PROJECT 

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”; The Arête 

“Peter Pan & Wendy”; Jolly Roger 

“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”; Spider HQ 

“The Creator”; Nomad 
OUTSTANDING COMPOSITING & LIGHTING IN A FEATURE 

“John Wick: Chapter 4”; Apartment Massacre Videogame Style 

“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” 

“The Creator”; Bar 

“The Creator”; Spaceships 

Edited by tv echo

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 got 1 nomination for 2024 BAFTA Film Awards...

BAFTA Film Awards Nominations: ‘Oppenheimer’ and ‘Poor Things’ Lead as ‘Barbie’ Falls Short
By Alex Ritman, Ellise Shafer   Jan 18, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/awards/global/bafta-film-awards-nominations-2024-1235876088/ 

The BAFTA Film Awards ceremony takes place Feb. 18 from London’s Royal Festival Hall, with “Doctor Who” star David Tennant hosting.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 got 1 nomination for Oscar Awards...

Oscar nominations 2024: See the full list
By Lisa Respers France    January 23, 2024
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/23/entertainment/oscar-nominations-2024/index.html

The Oscars will take place on March 10, hosted for a fourth time by Jimmy Kimmel.
Best visual effects
“The Creator”
“Godzilla Minus One”
“Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One”
“Napoleon”