Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Exposure

yeswedo

Mike and Rachel work closely with one another while Jessica and Harvey try to outmaneuver Sean Cahill. Meanwhile, Louis tries to hide evidence for the sake of his career.

I can't take it anymore--I can't stand Donna. She's the worst kind of Mary Sue character in that her smug, know-it-all behavior is supposed to make her seem mysterious and cool on top of her other perfections. Instead I find her grating and a terrible friend who Rachel would be better served to never seek romantic advice from again.

Which leads me to what I think is another unpopular opinion: I like Rachel and I like her and Mike together. I found her actions really understandable if not smart, at least initially, but I liked the way she finally ended up dealing with Mike. I cringed a lot during their first two encounters, but I got it--she was desperate to get him to forgive her. But her last ultimatum was on point and I'm glad Mike chose her or more specifically that they didn't have her keep up those painful attempts to get him back.

Overall I enjoyed this episode. I was able to follow the legal shenanigans and I enjoy Neal McDonough and his interactions with Harvey (though his hard-on for Harvey seems awfully personal but whatever. Everyone who they pit against Harvey seems to *really* hate him). I actually like this dilemma that they've created with Louis, too. I really like Louis but I was starting to lose patience with the constant lovable sad sack schtick. Because this is about The Law which has always been the one non-sad sack thing about Louis' character, I'm hoping that he'll re-commit and stop compromising his dignity and morals just so Harvey will like him. But I'm not sure if the writers want that so he'll probably just be an even bigger sad sack because he'll "owe" Harvey and Jessica for forgiving him for this. Sigh.

Can we keep Eric Roberts? I love him. And Donna's blue blouse/white skirt combo.

• Love 3

Poor Louis. That guy just can't catch a break. I like how well they all seem to know and understand him, though - I was proud of Mike this episode. It's the first time, in a long time, that he's been likable. Have no interest in the Rachel/Mike drama. Glad (hope) that's over. I wish they'd stop raising the stakes and go back to the case-of-the-week so I can relax a bit. The high drama and cliff-edge peril is wearing on me. I much prefer the witty banter and the team beating the crap out of unworthy opponents when the stakes aren't so high.

• Love 3

Worst breakup ever!!!!!  They've barely been broken up even one episode and already they're back together. 

JK, I actually liked that Rachel fought for their relationship. I'm also glad that Mike came to the conclusion on his own and not thanks to Donna ex machina.  Now onto the important stuff, I do like watching Mike back at the firm and that he got an office but from the way everybody's acting, you'd think that the firm can't function without him.

Louis's troubles are interesting. This might be the first time that the Suits team is backed into a corner so tight. Finally, give Katrina more to do then playing Louis's lackey. It's getting old  watching her do everything for him while getting little to nothing out of it.

• Love 1

I have loved Louis from the beginning. Rick Hoffman's portrayal has been spectacular. But I might have to give up this show after its latest fuck-you to Louis. So Mike and Harvey (and Jessica and Rachel) ---- ALL LAWYERS or SOON TO BE LAWYERS (plus Donna!) --- can break the law repeatedly by covering up Mike's fraudulent history and encourage further breaking of law by having him argue in court - but Louis is the one who gets caught. I hate they had Louis do this back room deal - altho I understand his motivation  -and of course now he's the one who will bring down the firm. Poor Louis. I suspended disbelief the first season or two on Mike's deal, and then started to question the premise more and more. I kept thinking they had to have an end game, and Sidwell seemed like an out. Aren't Harvey and Jessica "aiding and abetting?" Wait till Louis finds out they've been covering all along. This episode made me SO ANGRY.

harrumph. As someone who hated Katrina on sight (residual OTH hatred), she has grown on me and I enjoy her devotion to Louis.

• Love 4

I have loved Louis from the beginning. Rick Hoffman's portrayal has been spectacular. But I might have to give up this show after its latest fuck-you to Louis. So Mike and Harvey (and Jessica and Rachel) ---- ALL LAWYERS or SOON TO BE LAWYERS (plus Donna!) --- can break the law repeatedly by covering up Mike's fraudulent history and encourage further breaking of law by having him argue in court - but Louis is the one who gets caught. I hate they had Louis do this back room deal - altho I understand his motivation  -and of course now he's the one who will bring down the firm. Poor Louis. I suspended disbelief the first season or two on Mike's deal, and then started to question the premise more and more. I kept thinking they had to have an end game, and Sidwell seemed like an out. Aren't Harvey and Jessica "aiding and abetting?" Wait till Louis finds out they've been covering all along. This episode made me SO ANGRY.

harrumph. As someone who hated Katrina on sight (residual OTH hatred), she has grown on me and I enjoy her devotion to Louis.

This is exactly how I feel. Jessica, Harvey, Mike and Rachel break the law and subvert legal ethics all in the name of protecting Mike or the firm and they just get away Scott Free. Louis is about to go down for one really stupid decision. If Harvey et. al don't rally around Louis and help get him out of this mess, I think I'm done.

• Love 2

Why does anyone assume Louis will go down for this or bring the firm down? I assume, as with Mike, a way out will be found. The question isn't if Louis will escape - it's how. So yea. It doesn't bother me at all. Every character on the show swims in grey areas. Louis is no different. But I have faith that his colleagues will work to extract him from the situation he got himself into.

• Love 1

Jessica looked nice in this episode.  Didn't like yet another white dress on Donna.

Donna and Harvey should never give relationship advice, and Rachel needs to find a new friend.  i hate the way that friendship was shoehorned in. 

The inconsistency in the writing drives me crazy. Donna is presented as all knowing and they had her all in Louis' business this season, but it takes Mike all of two days to figure out something is wrong with Louis and he has done something wrong? 

I hate the way they have MIke talking to Jessica as if he is challenging her, after he put her in a position where to right his and Harvey's wrong she would pretty much have to give up everything she has worked for.   Harvey and Mike bickering and trying to out do each other behind this deal created the whole situation.  If Harvey had supported Mike's idea, all that followed would not have been an issue. 

More people storming out of rooms, sometimes in the middle of a conversation, threats, ultimatums and lack of character growth.  Rachel simpering after Mike..Donna making everything about Harvey or about her and Harvey. 

I fast forwarded a lot. What did Katrina do? I don't know why Donna was mad at Rachel, but I find i don't really care. 

It seems this show got back to its roots. The focus next year needs to be the firm including Mike, Harvey, Louis, Jessica and the rest putting the slimy Fed in his place. Love the character of the Fed but bitch slapping him would be fun to watch.

Would also like seeing more of the Eric Roberts character next year as well.

And get rid of Jessica's new boy toy.

Edited by CaptainCranky

Why does anyone assume Louis will go down for this or bring the firm down? I assume, as with Mike, a way out will be found. The question isn't if Louis will escape - it's how. So yea. It doesn't bother me at all. Every character on the show swims in grey areas. Louis is no different. But I have faith that his colleagues will work to extract him from the situation he got himself into.

My concern is that Harvey has always had barely veiled contempt for Louis. He has moments when he loosens up a bit, but this year he has acted with great hostility toward Louis. Jessica has always made it clear that she doesn't really value Louis. Even Mike has played I may be a liar who is illegally passing myself off as a lawyer, but Louis isn't nice enough so I can be rude and put him down as much as I want. So a part of me believes that now that Louis is in a lot of trouble, Harvey, Jessica and Mike will be more than happy to cut him loose. The only reason they MIGHT fight for him is to save the firm, but on a personal level I can see them all pretty much saying "Wow, you are a horrible person to do this unethical and illegal thing. Don't come to us for help,". At the very least, I expect Jess to use this to tell Louis that he will NEVER become a named partner at Pearson/Spector.

I do think that Donna, Rachel and Katrina will rally around Louis, but they don't have a lot of real power in the firm.  Donna and Rachel may bully Harvey, Jessica and Mike into helping Louis, but I'm really concerned that we will see the wanting to take the fall.

• Love 1

My concern is that Harvey has always had barely veiled contempt for Louis. He has moments when he loosens up a bit, but this year he has acted with great hostility toward Louis. Jessica has always made it clear that she doesn't really value Louis. Even Mike has played I may be a liar who is illegally passing myself off as a lawyer, but Louis isn't nice enough so I can be rude and put him down as much as I want. So a part of me believes that now that Louis is in a lot of trouble, Harvey, Jessica and Mike will be more than happy to cut him loose. The only reason they MIGHT fight for him is to save the firm, but on a personal level I can see them all pretty much saying "Wow, you are a horrible person to do this unethical and illegal thing. Don't come to us for help,". At the very least, I expect Jess to use this to tell Louis that he will NEVER become a named partner at Pearson/Spector.

I do think that Donna, Rachel and Katrina will rally around Louis, but they don't have a lot of real power in the firm.  Donna and Rachel may bully Harvey, Jessica and Mike into helping Louis, but I'm really concerned that we will see the wanting to take the fall.

The only viable way I can see this working is if Louis sells out Harvey.  Louis won't do that to someone he considers a friend, even if Harvey doesn't consider the friendship to be real.  In my mind, Louis sells out Harvey, moves to Boston and reunites with Sheila.  He gets a job teaching at Harvard and learns Mike is a fraud.  He uses that information to take down Jessica.  Mike stops practicing law and becomes Rachel's paralegal.  Donna finds a new young up and coming lawyer to make into the next Harvey, as well as finally developing a personal life.

Now for the good in the episode.  I'm loving the Fed.  I don't want him to bring Louis down, but I'm enjoying the thoroughness of his search.  I also loved Katrina's polka dot blouse.

Once again, the cussing was annoying. 

I noticed in the preview for next week, "the ultimate betrayal". Yawn. Too many trips to the betrayal well. The boy who cried betrayal. It seems like the Suits script generator is running at full steam:

Betrayal betrayal betrayal...

You did what! I didn't have any choice. Do you realize you've put this firm in jeopardy! I'm sorry! Sorry's not good enough--you betrayed us. What can I do? Now we don't have any choice--we have to figure out a way to cover your goddam mistake.

Repeat for 43 mins.

End program.

I don't understand Mike and Rachel's screen time. I mean, it's not even that I like them or don't like them. It's that their breakup and get back together is, how to put it, oh I know--it's not interesting! They are attractive young people and I wish them well, but their personal relationship is none of my business. These discussions should be taking place in private. Don't they realize they're taking up valuable screen time? They get together again or they don't, I'm not interested in the details. Actually I'm more interested in why Mike doesn't ride his bicycle any more, and why it didn't occur to him to return in a capacity such as investigator, that would protect the firm.

They better get Louis out from under this, with his dignity intact, or they suck and in the words of everybody, we'd be done.

And on a final note, betrayal.

• Love 4

I noticed in the preview for next week, "the ultimate betrayal". Yawn. Too many trips to the betrayal well. The boy who cried betrayal. It seems like the Suits script generator is running at full steam:

Betrayal betrayal betrayal...

You did what! I didn't have any choice. Do you realize you've put this firm in jeopardy! I'm sorry! Sorry's not good enough--you betrayed us. What can I do? Now we don't have any choice--we have to figure out a way to cover your goddam mistake.

Repeat for 43 mins.

End program.

If you fill in the remaining time with curse words, you've got yourself a script!

My concern is that Harvey has always had barely veiled contempt for Louis. He has moments when he loosens up a bit, but this year he has acted with great hostility toward Louis. Jessica has always made it clear that she doesn't really value Louis. Even Mike has played I may be a liar who is illegally passing myself off as a lawyer, but Louis isn't nice enough so I can be rude and put him down as much as I want. So a part of me believes that now that Louis is in a lot of trouble, Harvey, Jessica and Mike will be more than happy to cut him loose. The only reason they MIGHT fight for him is to save the firm, but on a personal level I can see them all pretty much saying "Wow, you are a horrible person to do this unethical and illegal thing. Don't come to us for help

I wouldn't worry about that. Not only is Louis an irreplaceable financial wizard, but he also trains the junior partners and he's pretty well liked around the office. I mean yea, from time to time he annoys Mike but nobody at the office outright hates him.  Besides, Mike owes Louis a huge favor and there's no way that doesn't get repaid. As for Louis becoming partner, I'd say that happens once Louis finds out Mike's secret.

On rewatch, the funniest thing was the ending everybody's frantically running around trying to find out wtf Louis just did and  in the middle of all that they kill their tension by showing the resolution to the Mike/Rachel relationship. Also, why would anybody think it's a good idea to send their whiz kid home after that news was dropped?

• Love 1

I like that Mike knew something was up with Louis, I love Katrina rallying around Louis, and also her and Mike putting their past behind them.

I'm guessing, since Mike knows what Louis gave up, he's going to tell Harvey to "Go screw yourself if you're not going to work with me, Katrina, Rachel, and Donna in trying to help Louis.  Also don't treat him like that again, jackass."

Hey, I love Louis as much as the next day, but he sure hasn't been Mr. Loyalty and all sweetness and light in the history of the show. He betrayed Jessica and Harvey with Hardman, among many other skunky things (and he did blackmail Mike into smoking pot a long time back too). He's done a lot of nasty things, although he's been better in recent seasons. I love him and do feel bad for him, but he brought a lot of things on himself.

That being said, I have no doubt they'll all circle the wagons to help Louis. He's one of their own. Harvey and Mike know they owe him. I look forward to seeing them save Louis. I'd love to see those relationships grow and evolve!

• Love 2

I'm guessing, since Mike knows what Louis gave up, he's going to tell Harvey to "Go screw yourself if you're not going to work with me, Katrina, Rachel, and Donna in trying to help Louis

Even if Harvey was that much of a prick (which he's not), in that scenario, Donna would have already smacked him into submission on that matter.

Hey, I love Louis as much as the next day, but he sure hasn't been Mr. Loyalty and all sweetness and light in the history of the show. He betrayed Jessica and Harvey with Hardman, among many other skunky things (and he did blackmail Mike into smoking pot a long time back too). He's done a lot of nasty things, although he's been better in recent seasons. I love him and do feel bad for him, but he brought a lot of things on himself.

That being said, I have no doubt they'll all circle the wagons to help Louis. He's one of their own. Harvey and Mike know they owe him. I look forward to seeing them save Louis. I'd love to see those relationships grow and evolve!

I agreed with everything except the bolded. Hardman promoted him to senior partner while Jessica and Harvey resorted to threatening Louis. If anything those two bought that vote against them on themselves.

Edited by Oscirus

I don't even just mean betraying them with the vote itself though. He pulled a lot of moves against them (spying, bugging, framing, etc). From Harvey and Jessica's standpoint, he betrayed them with a number of his actions. He pulled a lot of slimy stuff. I still love him, but Louis is as flawed as all of them. And they have good reasons to dislike/distrust him at work. (Ralph the sheepdog and Sam the Wolf, right?)

Regardless, I get what you're saying about the vote. Can't blame Louis, but I also get why they would feel betrayed. That's the beauty of this show - everyone swims in the grey area. But I feel pretty confident the team will back Louis ultimately ... because for all his faults, he's one of the team. I think we've seen that again and again when push comes to shove. Louis ain't going anywhere. And Forstman's going down!!!

• Love 1

If you fill in the remaining time with curse words, you've got yourself a script!

Needs a sprinkle of dick-measuring too. :)

It's hard to get behind the show when it doesn't make much sense.

The whole "Mike and Harvey were colluding" thing doesn't make sense, with Mike arranging a restraining order to stop Harvey from buying Gillis shares, with Harvey going to Gillis and telling him about Mike's drug-dealing past, with the two setting up a private auction where they are the only bidders (and thus would drive the price up higher than if one or the other just straight up making an offer).

GIven that the Mike and Harvey were colluding doesn't make sense, I'm not sure what we're supposed to make of a world where a) Harvey and co. don't bother to point this out b) Sean is able to convince a judge to sign off on a search warrant in an effort to prove his nonsensical theory c) the SEC is continuing to invest the resources they are into pursuing this investigation.

The threat of going after Sean for malicious prosecution wouldn't make any sense at all in the real world. Prosecutors are essentially immune for most of their actions. Otherwise, every prosecutor's office would be tied up in lawsuits defending every decision they'd make.

• Love 3

Hi guys. I'm new to Suits and to your forum. I usually post over in Castle, where we take a great amount of delight in ripping that show to shreads.

So I just started watching this season (I also watched the series premiere) and I've really gotten into this show. It's very interesting to read what you guys have to say about the show.

What initially drew me to the show was Gabriel Macht. I think he's incredibly sexy. And I think he has terrific chemistry with Gina Torres. Someone mentioned a Jessica/Harvey pairing on another thread and I could totally get behind that. My sister (she also watches the show) thinks it should be Donna/Harvey, but maybe it's because I know the two actors are good friends in real life I just don't see it.

I really like Louis. I like the comic relief. I don't think the firm is going to screw him over. They seem to be an incredibly well dressed dysfunctional family and I just don't buy that they're going to kick one of the birds out of the nest. I wish their costume designer would come over and save the cast of Castle from the fool that dresses them.

I find Rachel to be annoying as hell. I can't tell if it's the actress or the character or both. I wanted to throw a dart at her every time she came after Mike after he told her to leave him alone. Don't beg, girl. That's pathetic.

I like the relationship between Louis and Katrina and am curious to see where that goes.

The relationship and chemistry between Harvey and Mike is really interesting to me as well. Sort of father/son, brothers, student/teacher. I'm relieved that Mike is back at the firm because the fighting a la Good Wife was getting really boring.

I actually like the cursing, but YMMV.

• Love 1

The whole "Mike and Harvey were colluding" thing doesn't make sense, with Mike arranging a restraining order to stop Harvey from buying Gillis shares, with Harvey going to Gillis and telling him about Mike's drug-dealing past, with the two setting up a private auction where they are the only bidders (and thus would drive the price up higher than if one or the other just straight up making an offer).

The colluding was based on the fact that they set up the private auction then Rachel who was connected to both parties suddenly got sick causing them to meet up and allowing Jessica to bid a lowball offer. As for the drug thing, there is no way that the prosecutor knew about  that and I doubt Harvey would out Mike by telling that to the judge. With these suspicious circumstances and a prosecutor eager to take down Pearson-specter, there's more then enough evidence/motive to pursue charges.

The colluding was based on the fact that they set up the private auction then Rachel who was connected to both parties suddenly got sick causing them to meet up and allowing Jessica to bid a lowball offer.

Color me perplexed, but I don't see how them meeting in the hospital, or anywhere else, is evidence of collusion. I'm not usually able to follow the machinationis of these cases anyway (per Longmire another mystery too complex for me).

I do on the other hand think I understand what Louis did--the purchase went through an offshore account or two (Caymans, and another?) to avoid taxes er, somehow. Okay never mind about understanding. But that thing had to be reported and if he did Eric Roberts wouldn't agree to the deal. If the cute hacker girl they used last time can't help, they can use the cute hacker girl on The Strain, since she is in town.

The colluding was based on the fact that they set up the private auction then Rachel who was connected to both parties suddenly got sick causing them to meet up and allowing Jessica to bid a lowball offer. As for the drug thing, there is no way that the prosecutor knew about  that and I doubt Harvey would out Mike by telling that to the judge. With these suspicious circumstances and a prosecutor eager to take down Pearson-specter, there's more then enough evidence/motive to pursue charges.

The thing is, anything having to do with the private auction is piss-poor evidence of colluding. Presumably, either PS/Logan or Mike/Steadman/Forstman could make whatever arrangement they want to buy stock in Gillis Industries from the guy who had it. There would be no need to collude if either PS/Logan or MSF were not truly interested in buying the stock. They could just buy it at the "lowball" price. (And I may be wrong, but it seemed to me that both of them expressing interest in the stock resulted in the stock price actually going up. So again, piss-poor collusion if it ends up in the alleged colluders paying more than they otherwise had to.

Moreover, it seems like this alleged collusion would have to be looked at in the context of all the stuff that had gone before. The fact that Mike got a TRO stopping PS/Logan from buying stock is public record, as are the efforts that Harvey went through to try to maneuver around them. The actual cause of the rift between Mike and Gillis may not be public record, but much of everything else about it would presumably be, or at least would be something that basically stalking Mike and Harvey should be able to determine -- the notion that Gillis didn't want to sign with Mike but Mike promised that he would try to protect Gillis's people, the fact that Mike and Gillis had a split, the fact that Mike went to various people, including Tony Gianapolous to get them to back him and that he ended up with Forstman, noted hater of Harvey Specter. 

I mean, I suppose we could suspect that the collusion started as of the date of the private auction, but that seems a little crazy. With there being months of the two sides bitterly fighting over this company in public and private, it just doesn't strike me as a reasonable allegation that they woke up and decided to collude.