Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Happy Returns

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Did Isaac ultimately leave town?  If he has 4k, you'd think he'd spend some of it on actual transportation rather then trying/failing to hop onto a train. But he seems to be in love with Billy, so I feel like he won't go.

• Love 2

So in the previous ep it looked like someone was trying to  frame Billy by leaving the  the jacket that bore the # 51, but in this ep we see Billy and Isaac discussing their story. Billy said something like there is no story, we were never there and encourages Isaac to just leave town. Head west with his Dad's money. That suggests they were involved with the killing at the mill. That and the Sheriff's actions... telling Billy to buy a different size and brand of sneakers that he wears.

In this ep in the very beginning  we see a  flash of  the fired officer Pete Novick and then a one of Billy saying to  Isaac wait for me,   I just want to talk to him. Unless I didn't catch it, we didn't see any of that in ep 1. So are those upcoming scenes from the series  they're showing before the episode runs rather than scenes from the previous  one?

In ep 1 Lee made a joke about being named English but being/speaking Spanish. I wonder what language her wedding vows were conducted  in as she clearly didn't understand them!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, T Summer said:

In this ep in the very beginning  we see a  flash of  the fired officer Pete Novick and then a one of Billy saying to  Isaac wait for me,   I just want to talk to him. Unless I didn't catch it, we didn't see any of that in ep 1. So are those upcoming scenes from the series  they're showing before the episode runs rather than scenes from the previous  one?

It was in the first episode.

• Love 3
On 9/14/2021 at 3:44 PM, T Summer said:

So in the previous ep it looked like someone was trying to  frame Billy by leaving the  the jacket that bore the # 51, but in this ep we see Billy and Isaac discussing their story. Billy said something like there is no story, we were never there and encourages Isaac to just leave town. Head west with his Dad's money. That suggests they were involved with the killing at the mill. That and the Sheriff's actions... telling Billy to buy a different size and brand of sneakers that he wears.

My speculation is Billy went in there to talk to him about a drug deal.  Maybe something went wrong and they ended up in an altercation, Isacc heard it and ran in and ended up killing Novick to save Billy.   Something along those lines.  I think Isaac may have struck the fatal blow because he seems a lot more traumatized than Billy does.

Now Isaac has left town, and no one is particularly concerned aside from his sister.  He hasn't been connected at all to Novick.  So I'm wondering if Billy will end up taking the fall for Isaac.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I don't see someone who just got married cheating on their spouse that soon (except for the new husband of a former Miss USA).

As for that wedding...

1. Shouldn't there have been a cookie table? I thought they were a big thing in western Pennsylvania.

2. I'm part Polish, so I've seen a dollar dance at receptions, but not dancing around a dollar tree, which gave off original Wicker Man vibes.

3. During her speech, the maid of honor called the groom Jimbo Fitzgerald, but on other occasions during the episode his last name was Connelly.

Edited by One Imaginary Girl

Well, I’ll keep watching. I’ve always liked Jeff Daniels and Maura Tierney and I’ve always liked a gritty small town mystery, but this one has some difficulties in tone and style. 
The costumes and set design are hitting the old fashioned hill billy thing too hard. I know the joke about Pennsylvania is that it’s Philly at one end and Pittsburg at the other and Alabama in between. And that’s true but it’s not this true. That wedding was like someone watched the Deer Hunter too many times and tried to recapture that feeling. Except that that feeling wasn’t right for a contemporary time period. I can deal with small and provincial and economically depressed and even possibly dying in the setting of a story but this one also indulged their time travel fantasies without setting the entire thing in the seventies or eighties. And that cash tree was just creepy. 

• Love 4
On 9/21/2021 at 2:44 PM, izabella said:

My speculation is Billy went in there to talk to him about a drug deal.  Maybe something went wrong and they ended up in an altercation, Isacc heard it and ran in and ended up killing Novick to save Billy.   Something along those lines.  I think Isaac may have struck the fatal blow because he seems a lot more traumatized than Billy does.

That is exactly what I was thinking by the end of the episode.

The first episode I was mostly figuring out who was related to who, but this episode had me really drawn in. Might have to pick up the book.

The young people seemed to be having a lot of fun at the wedding. Cracked up by the bride figure on the cake actually holding a shotgun! Making the figurative literal.

I thought Isaac was about to return the money until he saw his sister with Billy. Is that a love triangle? Was Billy trying to drown himself in the lake? I thought Isaac was trying to get hit by the train. Grim going.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2021 at 4:10 AM, Beezella said:

The first episode I was mostly figuring out who was related to who, but this episode had me really drawn in. Might have to pick up the book.

I would wait on picking up the book cause I've read it and I'm a whole lot of confused a lot of the time while watching the show. I wish they would've let the author written the script, or at least been a part of the process in some way. I find some things in the book more... well appealing than the show. In the book we find out what happens in the mill as it happens and since I'm not sure if they will go down that same route or not (they are changing up some vital parts like I did not get any romantic vibe between Billy & Isaac in the book just to mention one thing, it was more a brotherly bond in the book) I find it hard to even discuss the show in this forum as I don't want to spoil anything. First time I've felt like I wish I hadn't read the book beforehand. 

• Love 1