Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Canceled

jewel21
  • Start Topic

After Luca calls out Zoey’s boss on social media, Zoey tries to regain control over cancel culture, but things backfire. Jazz and Des grow closer as Jazz teaches herself to lean on Sky less.

Airdate: 08/26/2021

Kind of meh on this one. Definitely way too much talking for Luca, he's at his best when his lines are brief and spaced out. Also, has he lost weight or something? His looks are different and it seems like he's dressing more plainly. Very different from the original character, who I never really liked, per se, but I could admit he had swagger. 

Best part of the episode was the scrolling through the messages on social media after Zoey's weird choice to make that video. Vivek's amusement at Zoey's predicament was funny.

The show is just very hard to relate to, like how Zoey waits til the very last second to get an internship and then winds up with something so prestigious. And then with this "scandal", I find it hard to believe that the entire internet would be in an uproar over this when Zoey is a complete unknown and so is Luca, really. Some rando claiming that a big designer ripped them off, I doubt that would get much traction.

I get that they're telling all the stories that are current, but the way they set them up is hard to believe. 

• Love 2

How was Aaron the asshole here? He had the same issue with Luca that Zoey had and Luca was being crazy flippant about it. Of course Aaron got pissed. 

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Racj82 said:

How was Aaron the asshole here? He had the same issue with Luca that Zoey had and he was being crazy flippant about it. Of course Aaron got pissed. 

Normally, when watching Grown-Ish, I find Aaron sanctimonious and preachy, but here, he was rightly pissed. Luca acted in a way that hurt Zooey and is showing no remorse. That's pretty noxious. Luca is just as self absorbed and sanctimonious, and he came across as sociopathic. "You're welcome." 

And Zooey had absolutely no leverage to get her outfit back. 

• Love 4

The thing I'm still confused on is how exactly Esme got canceled in the first place.  Zoey was an intern at her company working on the sketch while physically located in the company's office.  Most companies require employees to sign agreements saying that anything they produce is the company's property.  Are the rules different for interns?  

Regardless, I don't see someone like Esme rolling over so easily.  It would take a PR person 30 seconds to write up a statement saying that the original sketch was part of their internal design process (even though we know it wasn't).  Plus, I'm sure Esme has access to better lawyers than Zoey to field any legal challenges.

A third option that no one thought of was asking Esme to pay a flat fee for the design outright or for a cut of the profits from the jacket sales.  Not only would this be giving Zoey credit and compensating her appropriately for her design, it would also set a precedent for any similar situations in the future.

• Love 3