Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E10: Quarterfinals Results 1

• Start Topic

The Sonic Route 44 Lounge? That just sounds dumb.

Brandon Leakes became the voice of a generation? Okay.

I'm having a really hard time maintaining interest in this show. Not even for the snark value. I've had it on mute for most of the last 40 minutes.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4

No turrible injustices tonight.  I wanted the country/urban hybrid group to make it, but I can't make a complete case for them.

I am surprised that the dogs didn't make it through against a couple of the acts who survived, though.

Darci was very good, but the material and the song didn't do anything for me.  I wish her well on tour.

I LOVED Sofia's expressed logic in choosing the dancers.  If only all the singers were similarly discounted against variety acts. 

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Thanks for that link Clam. I've been gone all night so missed the show. My only problem with the results list is I don't know most of the act's names. Is Matt Johnson the magician? Wait, he's the Chain Saw Guy, right? I was hoping the magician would get the hook from stage left but I guess he went through. I'm not that smart, really, but if I can see through his "tricks" they are NOT good. I'd rather have Chain Saw Guy and his pony beard go through than Magician Man.

Oh well. It's not about me. On to next week!

• LOL 1

I think names are a big challenge for solo acts.  If your name is common, you get confused with other people.  If it's unusual, people may have a hard time spelling it.  Either way, your name doesn't usually describe your act (Piff the Magic Dragon being a notable exception; you know what you're getting, and he's really good at it.)

That said, you don't have to split the prize money with anyone.  If the kid dancers had gone forward, for example, they'd get about $100K each after taxes if they didn't have agent fees.  That's a good start in life, but you're still going to need a career.

• Love 1

I was actually a little pleased with the results.

That stupid bird guy went home, though he was annoying to the end with trying to upstage the other acts he was standing with.  

I was surprised the dog act didn't go through, but pleased. I love dogs as much as the next guy, but that hyperactive dogs catching frisbees and dancing on their hind legs routine is pretty old now. It was never very impressive to me and we've seen it so many times now. All they do is try to dress it up with a storyline but it's the same old tricks. The dogs-as-judges bit was kind of funny on the first audition but not the second time.

Also pleasantly surprised the dancing girls act didn't go through. I think viewers realized this was just another average act with very young girls dancing in a way that sooooort of feels inappropriate, and their talent was nothing special. They wouldn't have gotten any attention on the first audition without the drag queen teacher. She was very engaging and probably could have done well in the competition if she has any kind of talent to go along with the persona. (I was a fan of Prince Poppycock years ago. That was when AGT was good.)

I wish both magicians had been eliminated. What do you want to bet that guy brings out his two bored, boring kids onstage for his next trick? He is not a good magician, I hate his "bro" persona with the backwards cap and sneakers, and it's increasingly annoying how he builds his whole schtick around having adopted some kids. The other guy, the escape artist, needs to build better tricks or ensure the cameras don't zoom in close enough to reveal all the shenanigans. And learn to restrain his bad acting, like Simon said.

The singers all seem very forgettable, except for that little kid, and not in a good way. I agree with whoever said a 10-year-old boy singing Whitney Houston songs should immediately be shuffled off stage and put on a Greyhound bus. A pet peeve of mine is very young children singing songs with content they have no way to understand.

Good to see Darci is growing into a very nice young woman and still doing well.

• Love 9

Given a choice between a bad magician and mediocre hyperactive dogs, I'd still take the dogs.  At least they made me smile.  I knew when they brought out the little kid and the falsetto singer that both were going to go through - no drama there.  I get that they're trying to get audience involvement with the instant save but why don't they just eliminate any chance of any act winning by announcing that they couldn't even get enough votes to come in higher than 6th, 7th and 8th out of 12.  They're the best of the worst?  Not going to inspire people to vote for them in the future.

I couldn't even sit through a few minutes of the poetry stuff.  Yup, a WIDE audience going to line up and pay money to see an entire evening of THAT. 

Does anyone know how they decide which "yes" acts actually end up on the show?  I know Golden Buzzers are an automatic, but will there be any "4 yes" votes that don't go forward?

It's not a perfect system no matter what; I was just curious as to if they had announced a system.  (This is a year where they might be making changes on the fly more than usual.)