Type keyword(s) to search

Daredevil - General Discussion

• Start Topic

And in a bit of irony, current WGA strike captain Warren Leight was an executive producer on Law & Order: Criminal Intent, which, of course, had Vincent D'Onofrio as the lead, playing Det. Bobby Goren.

(edited)

‘Daredevil: Born Again’: Clark Johnson To Recur & Direct Disney+ Series
By Rosy Cordero   May 18, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/05/daredevil-born-again-clark-johnson-cast-direct-disney-plus-series-1235372395/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Clark Johnson (Evil, Bosch) is set to recur and direct two episodes of the upcoming Disney+ series Daredevil: Born Again, Deadline has learned.

Details about the character are being kept under wraps, but Johnson is believed to be playing Cherry. Marvel declined to comment.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

From Fan Expo Philadelphia this past weekend...

Another short video clip from Daredevil panel...

Daredevil Panel @ Fan Expo 2023
Amazing Fantasy '63   Jun 3, 2023

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I just started watching this. I went in sort of cold, didn't know a lot about it. I.kind of go off and on with Marvel so I've seen some of the movies, I watched Luke Cage. But I can't keep track/remember all the connections.

With this I'm on season 1 ep 3.....so far I have mixed response. It seems like a stereotype/not very original story. Big bad corporation. Tries to buy silence. Reporter gets pulled into finding out the truth so the evil corp will pay!

Seen it a million times it feels like. Same with the sidekick.

But....Mat is interesting. It's all shot well, the villains are interesting (more so than the main characters except Mat actually). 

The plot line with his father is interesting, I don't know if they will show more of his past 

Karen and Foggy-  I'm kind of meh.

So enough to keep my attention for now. It's early in the season so will keep watching.

Edited by cleo
  • Like 1

‘One Piece’ Director Marc Jobst Talks Adapting the Best-Selling Manga and His ‘Daredevil’ Memories
BY BRIAN DAVIDS    AUGUST 31, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/one-piece-director-adapting-manga-netflix-marc-jobst-interview-1235577459/ 

A number of those Marvel characters are now in the MCU proper via Daredevil: Born Again, such as Daredevil (Charlie Cox), Kingpin (Vincent D’Onofrio) and the Punisher (Jon Bernthal). Do you think they’ll still be able to thrive in a more PG-13 world?
It’s an interesting question. One Piece has been so all-absorbing for the last three years that I haven’t been in touch with any of them. So I’ve got no idea what they’re doing and how they’re approaching the Disney version of those worlds. I can’t imagine that Charlie, Vince and Jon would sign up for something that they felt was anodyne. They just wouldn’t do it. So in some form or another, Disney must have persuaded them to say, “This is a journey worth coming on.”

On Dardevil’s “New York Finest,” you captured this rooftop meeting of the minds between Matt Murdock (Cox) and Frank Castle (Bernthal). Were you pinching yourself as you watched Charlie and Jon go toe-to-toe like that?
Yes, in that rooftop scene with Charlie and Jon, it was summertime. It was super hot. We were shooting from five in the evening until five in the morning, and Charlie was chained up to this chimney. It was the first time Jon was speaking as the Punisher. He was super nervous about the scene, and Marvel was very nervous about that whole episode because there was a lot of dialogue. They said, “Is it going to be a little bit stagey? How do we make this work?” And so I think they brought me in because I come from theater and because of my ability to work with actors. 

Beforehand, we had a chat about what those scenes were about. For Daredevil, he believes in redemption, and for the Punisher, it was all about revenge. So that was the whole discussion: Do we believe in redemption or do we believe in revenge? And once you’ve got that focus, you can let it go. So my job was to keep the tiller heading towards the true north of redemption and revenge.

So we started shooting that big two-hander, and normally, on those sorts of days, you’re shooting maybe six-or-seven pages a day. This was a 14- or 15-page scene, so that’s three days of filming that goes into a heightened emotional moment and then ends with the big fight. But Charlie said, “I’m not going to be able to come back tomorrow and find the same emotion that we’re going to end today in.” And Jon said, “Me neither. It’s not going to happen.” So Charlie said, “Can we just shoot the whole thing tonight?” So I looked at Jon and asked, “Can we shoot 14 or 15 pages in a night?” So Jon said, “Yeah, we’ll do it. Come on. I know the lines.” So I turned to the crew and I said, “Guys, roll up your sleeves and get onto your tiptoes. We’re going for this. And once the train leaves the station, we can’t stop.” The only problem was that the dawn was going to rise, and we needed night. So we went for it, and they were extraordinary. We did it all in one night.
On top of that, you also had to pull off that insane hallway/staircase oner that follows Matt and Frank’s rooftop confrontation. Did that sequence take years off your life?
(Laughs.) Daredevil was my first Marvel show, and I wanted to do it as a oner for story seasons, not just because it was cool. Daredevil had just beaten up the Punisher, who he’s got on his shoulder. He then puts him in the lift, and he sees this old man coming. He also knows that all the bikers are coming to get him and that they will just discard and probably kill the old man. Now, Daredevil, as a character, can’t let that happen, so he knows he’s got to try and save the old man. But in the meantime, the Punisher is going down the lift, and if the lift gets to the bottom and the Punisher wakes up, he’s going to run away. So that’s the reason for the oner, because if I cut it up into beats, you’d lose track of the main story, which is really about getting down to the bottom of the staircase to secure the Punisher.

So I pitched the single shot to Netflix, and it took us three days. There’s three stitches. And on that first day, we rehearsed that first moment in the corridor for six hours, and we hadn’t even done a punch yet. And then L.A. woke up and said, “Hey, what’s going on? You’re not shooting anything. How are you ever going to achieve this?” So my first assistant director said, “Just shoot anything. Just get something on the log.” So we shot some piece of drama or whatever it was, and then we were off and running. The reason it took so long was because a little bit of choreography wasn’t quite working. Charlie then helped out and said, “Well, if I do this, then you won’t have to do that.” And then we were off. But there was a moment in there where I had to go into the bathroom and take some deep breaths and say, “It’s going to be fine, Marc. It’s going to be fine.”

Edited by tv echo
On 7/7/2023 at 7:32 PM, cleo said:

I just started watching this. I went in sort of cold, didn't know a lot about it. I.kind of go off and on with Marvel so I've seen some of the movies, I watched Luke Cage. But I can't keep track/remember all the connections.

With this I'm on season 1 ep 3.....so far I have mixed response. It seems like a stereotype/not very original story. Big bad corporation. Tries to buy silence. Reporter gets pulled into finding out the truth so the evil corp will pay!

Seen it a million times it feels like. Same with the sidekick.

But....Mat is interesting. It's all shot well, the villains are interesting (more so than the main characters except Mat actually). 

The plot line with his father is interesting, I don't know if they will show more of his past 

Karen and Foggy-  I'm kind of meh.

So enough to keep my attention for now. It's early in the season so will keep watching.

It is the trap of adaptations for the Marvel zombies' all of those features are an important part of the origin story from the "original" comics from back in the 1960s. So for the base it is a matter of how well it was done. Waiting 3 episodes to even hear the name of the antagonist  and teasing other villains from Daredevil's gallery of rogues was fine as they were not waiting years for the next movie.

With the production previous to this being the Ben Affleck version with its hated comic relief/romance moments and the rest of the MCU's PG violence it hit  like an actual fighter punched you in the face. And set the tone for the rest of the Netflix productions.

And now it seems as if the support staff of characters  for Matt will not make it to the Disney + take on the story as it will pick up in the far future of his initial missions

• Like 1

I never saw the Affleck movie.....I watched to the end of season 2..... I actually ended up liking Karen and Foggy alot more, and definitely found them more interesting than Matt and Elektra.

It was an OK production overall, it kept my attention but I wasn't wowed by it. 

I'm not sure I would watch any other adaptations of it.

Edited by cleo

I  thought of the show as tough to take thus not rewatchable like I did with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. many times so I finally started my first second look. I think that the third season of Daredevil was the finest run of Marvel on TV, and perhaps the movies Infinty Saga to date.

And ultimately Karen's chemistry with Frank Castle/the Punisher in the few appearances here and on The Punisher season 2 would also win a category award over all the other couples, romantic or platonic 

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Raja said:

And ultimately Karen's chemistry with Frank Castle/the Punisher in the few appearances here and on The Punisher season 2 would also win a category award over all the other couples romantic or platonic 

YES. I'm so mad these shows aren't on Netflix anymore so I can't rewatch them LOL. Jon Bernthal as Frank Castle OWNS me and his scenes with Karen are a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

The series is undergoing a massive overhaul

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/daredevil-born-again-writers-directors-marvel-overhaul-reshoots-1235751911/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/daredevil-marvel-disney-1235614518/

I have to say, the THR article was eye opening for me. I had no idea Marvel made their TV shows this weird way (for TV that is) as I’ve watched very few Marvel shows up til now so I’m not up on how they are made. Clearly though they’ve realized this isn’t working for them long term so hopefully making them under a standard TV model will allow them to do longer run, more sustainable shows

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DanaK said:

The series is undergoing a massive overhaul

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/daredevil-born-again-writers-directors-marvel-overhaul-reshoots-1235751911/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/daredevil-marvel-disney-1235614518/

I have to say, the THR article was eye opening for me. I had no idea Marvel made their TV shows this weird way (for TV that is) as I’ve watched very few Marvel shows up til now so I’m not up on how they are made. Clearly though they’ve realized this isn’t working for them long term so hopefully making them under a standard TV model will allow them to do longer run, more sustainable shows

Hope the change works, but this all sounds very doomsdayish.

‘Daredevil’ TV Series Lands New Showrunner, Directors (Exclusive)
BY BORYS KIT     OCTOBER 27, 2023 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/daredevil-born-again-lands-new-showrunner-1235630284/  

Dario Scardapane, whose recent credits include Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan as well as Netflix’s Marvel show The Punisher, has been tapped to act as the new showrunner for the series, which is in the midst of a creative overhaul.

Additionally, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, the co-directing team behind indie genre thrillers who are coming off of directing episodes of Loki season two, have been hired to helm the remaining episodes that will constitute the first season on Disney+

Daredevil: Born Again was in mid-production in New York when the writers and actors strike forced it to pause. When Marvel execs reviewed the footage, they had a change of creative heart and decided to go into a new direction. The show was being spearheaded by Chris Ord and Matt Corman who were acting as head writers, but have since departed.
Marvel will keep some scenes and episodes that have already been shot, though other serialized elements will be injected. Scardapane will write the new episodes and new scenes, incorporating what was already shot.

Benson and Moorhead will direct the new episodes to bring this first season to a close. It is unclear how many episodes it will encompass. Corman and Ord will become executive producers.

The hiring of a showrunner is part of Marvel’s larger overhaul of how it makes its television series. The company previously made its shows much like it made its movies. But as THR previously reported, Marvel has reconfigured its model, embracing traditional TV concepts such as showrunners and pilots and series bibles.

Edited by tv echo

Charlie Cox / Daredevil Panel - Wales Comic Con November 2023
Geektown    Nov 19, 2023

#day2 #galaxycon #columbus #ohio #charliecox #daredevil #vincentdonofrio #kingpin #tarastrong
Dragon's Hoard    Dec 3, 2023

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

After Launch of ‘Echo’, Marvel Restarts Production on ‘Daredevil: Born Again’
BY BORYS KIT    JANUARY 19, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/daredevil-born-again-resumes-filming-echo-1235793539/ 

Coming off the strong opening of Echo, its crime series centered on Indigenous and deaf anti-heroine Maya Lopez, Marvel next turns its attention to Daredevil: Born Again, which restarts production Monday after a lengthy hiatus.

Philip Silvera, who acted as stunt and fight coordinator on the Netflix version of Daredevil that ran in the mid-2010s, has returned to the fold to act as stunt coordinator and second unit director for the new series.

His hiring is the latest example of the retooling Born Again underwent as it was changed from a legal procedural to something that aims to harken back to the gritty and violent tone of that first well-regarded series. It also reaffirms the show’s focus on more street-level heroics and less on heavy (and costly) visual effects.

Daredevil was in mid-production in New York when the writers and actors strike forced it to pause over the summer. When Marvel execs reviewed the footage, they had a change of creative heart and decided to go into a new direction. Writer Dario Scardapane, who worked on Netflix’s Marvel show The Punisher,  and the directing team of Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, who helmed episodes of season two of Loki, were brought in change the direction of the series.
The show will not be 18 episodes as first announced or that of a typical  broadcast network season but will be more in line with the original Netflix series model of lower episode counts.

Spoiler

Daredevil got a tease in Echo, whose mid-credits scene set up crime boss Fisk making a run at mayor of New York City.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I just learned that Foggy and Karen are back as well as Jon Bernthal as The Punisher.  I'm starting to get my hopes up but, I worry it will suck like the rest of Phase 5.

As with Wilson Bethel as ex FBI Agent Poindexter, aka Bullseye from season 3. 

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1

Wilson Bethel's Bullseye Returning for Daredevil: Born Again (Exclusive)
By ADAM BARNHARDT - January 23, 2024
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/daredevil-born-again-bullseye-wilson-bethel-cast-return-reboot-confirmed/ 

Bullseye is back. ComicBook.com can report Wilson Bethel's Benjamin Poindexter, a fan-favorite from the third season of Netflix's Daredevil, is returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe during the events of Daredevil: Born Again. While it's unclear how extensive his role will be, Bethel's beloved Bullseye will, in fact, appear. Marvel did not respond to comment.

(edited)

I bet they have too much salvaged footage and/or contracts already in place to "un" recast Vanessa.

Edited by Raja
(edited)

Sighting of More Daredevil Vets on Born Again Set Suggest Disney+ Series Is Closer to Being an Actual ‘Season 4’
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   JANUARY 28, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/daredevil-born-again-release-date-cast-news-spoilers/ 

After pausing production for more than three months to undergo a creative overhaul, Daredevil: Born Again resumed filming on Jan. 22 in New York. In photos and video captured by passersby,

Spoiler

both Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson, whose absence from Born Again‘s original cast list irked fans, clearly are reprising their Marvel’s Daredevil roles of Karen Page and Foggy Nelson (as first rumored by The Insneider newsletter).

As detailed below (see “Is Born Again the Same Continuity as Netflix’s Daredevil?”), the Disney+ series at first was framed as being not a straight-on “revival” of the three-season Netflix series — but the addition of Woll and Henson certainly suggests something closer to a “Season 4.”

But with the creative overhaul reported in December came an adjusted output. Now, per THR, Daredevil: Born Again will not crank out 18 episodes but something “more in line with the original Netflix series model of lower episode counts,” which were typically 13 per season.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘X-Men ’97’ EP Brad Winderbaum on Kevin Feige’s Mandate and How ‘Daredevil: Born Again’ Updated MCU Canon
BY BRIAN DAVIDS    MARCH 18, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/x-men-97-kevin-feige-1235855253/ 

[BRAD WINDERBAUM]: .... So [Loki’s success] is not lost on us, and it has influenced our storytelling like any success has. Moving forward, our next show out is Agatha, and there are parallels there with two antiheroes. It’s a different show, but it strives to plumb the same emotional depths. And I’d certainly say that’s true with Daredevil: Born Again as well, which went through a bit of a reinvention after the strike. Frankly, a lot of that was influenced as much from Loki as it was from our X-Men ’97 experience. It’s about honoring what came before in order to find a new arc for these iconic characters. So I am really excited about what’s on the horizon. There’s some great, great work coming down the pipe that audiences are going to really love. 

Marvel Studios recently proclaimed the former Netflix shows to be MCU canon. They’re even reflected as such on Disney+. Now, I’ve seen some people try to say that Marvel changed their mind on this subject, but the way I see it is that you finally made up your mind. Would you also say that you kept your options open as long as possible? 
We finally said it out loud. When the Netflix shows were coming out and being made, we were building towards Infinity War and Endgame. We were trying to balance all of these film franchises and get them to culminate onscreen in these two epic movies. To say it was a challenge is not even correct. It was one of the most challenging creative endeavors the studio ever undertook. I’m not sure there will ever be anything like it again in cinema. It took so much to get all that stuff to galvanize in that one place and in that one time so that people could have that experience in the movie theater. 

So, at the time, to say, “Alright, we’re also going to take this television show and wrap our heads around that,” it would’ve been too much, even though we were communicating back and forth. Everyone on the television side and the film side knew what each other was doing, and you can see that there’s a continuity there. The references do line up, but it was just too much for us to wrap our minds around at the time. 

Flash forward now to Disney+, where we are actually laying out the timeline with tiles on a screen, all of a sudden we’re like, “We should just do it. Let’s do it.” It was also spurred by the redevelopment of Daredevil: Born Again, once we started to really lean into some of the mythology and backstory that was established in those Netflix shows. I was asked about this during the press for Echo, and I realized, “Oh, it’s not just assumed. People have an active interest and they want confirmation.” So we were able to do it fairly quickly, and it’s interesting that the service of Disney+ actually became the statement just by rearranging those tiles. That’s our medium to define the canon now, which is wild to think about.

Edited by tv echo