Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Daddy Lessons

jewel21
  • Start Topic

After learning about his expulsion, Vivek dreads telling his parents about his failures. Dealing with the aftermath of Mexico, Dre questions Zoey’s recent choices. Meanwhile, Doug meets Kiela, a new resident at Hawkins.

Airdate: 07/29/2021

Doug and Luca are pretty gross together. That "pound" conversation was so bad that I thought it was out of character for both of them-- and I already dislike Luca, but even I don't usually think he's that gross. Also, I don't like the trope about how dudes are freaked out by their sister's or daughter's sexuality, or that it's somehow a problem if a friend of yours takes an interest in a relative. Presumably you like your friends. So you should trust them more than a random person.

I would think finding the MONEY to pay for a babysitter would be more of an obstacle than finding someone to take the job, but what do I know. Maybe Nomi's wealthy. If so, it should be easy to hire someone. If not, it should be impossible.

Dre's insulting of Junior is abusive and not funny. Why do the writers of those shows persist in doing it, and thinking it's not only acceptable, but also funny?

• Love 4
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Doug and Luca are pretty gross together. That "pound" conversation was so bad that I thought it was out of character for both of them-- and I already dislike Luca, but even I don't usually think he's that gross. Also, I don't like the trope about how dudes are freaked out by their sister's or daughter's sexuality, or that it's somehow a problem if a friend of yours takes an interest in a relative. Presumably you like your friends. So you should trust them more than a random person.

I would think finding the MONEY to pay for a babysitter would be more of an obstacle than finding someone to take the job, but what do I know. Maybe Nomi's wealthy. If so, it should be easy to hire someone. If not, it should be impossible.

Dre's insulting of Junior is abusive and not funny. Why do the writers of those shows persist in doing it, and thinking it's not only acceptable, but also funny?

Yeah, not loving Doug and Luca together, especially in that conversation. Also, Luca is just the worst actor. His character worked in the beginning because he was supposed to be aloof and his lines were limited. He has a presence and it came across with very few words. But whenever he's supposed to be having a normal conversation, he sounds stilted and ridiculous. 

I haven't been watching Black-ish the last season or so, so the housekeeper stuff was a complete WTF for me. And the continued theme of insulting Junior is not funny at all. In the earliest days of Black-ish, there was comedy to be found in the idea that Jr was so utterly different from Dre, like his playing field hockey and wanting a bar mitzvah. But the random insults and complete dismissal of him as a person is uncalled for and I don't see why it's supposed to be funny.

The show continues to spiral off in directions that don't interest me. And was Zoey's speech at the end supposed to be inspiring? Spoiled rich girl does her very best to blow every single opportunity handed to her, but she "figured it out on her own"? Um yeah, not so tough to do when you've got your plush life waiting back home if you fail in whatever you're dabbling in at the moment. And the capper about her not paying her own credit card pretty much shot to hell any idea of independence or pulling herself up by her bootstraps. 

• Love 3

Ana and Nomi's friendship is beautiful. I fanfic them going to law school together at Stanford and becoming political commentators on their viral podcast, and then becoming hotshot attorneys at Segal-Torres, specializing in some niche field and making bank. I think they'd make a terrible couple romantically, but as best friends, they could rule the world. 

Vivek's dad gutted me, the disgust was palpable, and Vivek's heartbreak was right to the feels.  Honestly, I also realize how much he shut them out. For the last three years, he's been lying to them over and over again. Drug dealing, academic dishonesty, he is basically a completely new person to them, and one who shares none of their values. Coming clean now may be appreciated, but it doesn't change how horrible his behavior was. We've seen Vivek grow and change, but they didn't. 

Zooey: I need to grow up 

Also Zooey: But not enough to pay my own bills. 

Dre is having an affair? 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, dungeonwriter said:

Dre is having an affair?

I was confused by this too. I watch black-ish and the housekeeper stuff came out of left field.This episode felt like an excuse to have Anthony Anderson guest star on the show. 

The writers have no idea what to do with Luca or Doug.

Poor Vivek. I felt for him at the end but I understand his father’s reaction.

So last week Jazz decided to give up track and this week there’s no follow up???

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I haven't been watching Black-ish the last season or so, so the housekeeper stuff was a complete WTF for me. And the continued theme of insulting Junior is not funny at all. In the earliest days of Black-ish, there was comedy to be found in the idea that Jr was so utterly different from Dre, like his playing field hockey and wanting a bar mitzvah. But the random insults and complete dismissal of him as a person is uncalled for and I don't see why it's supposed to be funny.

have been watching it and I had no idea what they were talking about. I guess I missed an episode or two?

It's also very weird because practically every Black-ish episode has an arc where Dre comes to respect Junior more. So to have him doing that routine every time he's on the spinoff is just weird. It'd be fine if it were just an inside joke in the family that Junior is in on, but Dre saying to a dude he's only met a few times with no other Johnsons in the room? Nooooo.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

have been watching it and I had no idea what they were talking about. I guess I missed an episode or two?

I don't think so. I've been watching and I had no idea what they were talking about, either.

• Love 2

That whole Maritza story was the most WTF thing I’ve seen on TV all year - and I watched Manifest! We’d never heard of Maritza or that the Johnsons even had a housekeeper. Then, Dre talks as if he’s sexually attracted to her and that Bow is jealous, which is out of character for both of them, and, when we see her at the end she’s just an average middle-aged woman.

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, possibilities said:
15 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I don't think so. I've been watching and I had no idea what they were talking about, either.

Yeah I came here to ask who the hell is this housekeeper because I've seen every episode of Black-ish and recall no Maritza. Maybe it's a storyline in the upcoming season? Doesn't make any sense.

• Love 2