Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Knocked Down

• Start Topic

Callie and Gael decide to give their relationship a shot. Meanwhile, Malika is blindsided by Isaac’s news, Alice returns to the comedy program thanks to help from an unexpected source, and Dennis’ return has Davia questioning everything.

I didn't see a topic for the new episode, so I started one, hope it's okay.

I am still not sold on the jumping back and forth with the plot and found it especially confusing now after the break, since I didn't quite remember where each plot ended. I hope they ditch that eventually.

For example I was a bit confused with Malika. I thought she ended the last episode deciding she wants to stay just with Isaac, but I don't remember if we saw her telling him that. So I wonder if they skipped that conversation or if I just don't remember it. I wonder if the actor became unavailable, since they just showed him on skype and now he's moving away. 

I am happy for Alice standing up for herself and telling Ruby that she can't be with her after she didn't speak up for her. Being the only person speaking up and nobody having your back is a terrible feeling. I am glad that it turned out well for her and that her speach made a change after all, but it's going to be awkward at first when she returns to the group.

With Marianna, I was on her coworkers' side. I wasn't that much of a fan of how they decided to sue Evan, but good for them getting the money they should have gotten before. Although I think Marianna should have told them everything about Evan's offer, not leave that part about offering to fund them privately out. That's a decision they should have made together, but Marianna is too comfortable making decisions for others. I agree with them ditching her and really liked how the scene looked, that they weren't angry, but visibly sad. It was a hard decision. I don't care about her relationship with Evan, so I wasn't either happy or sad about the breakup.

The story with Isabella's pregnancy looks like it has wandered over from some soap opera. I can't get a grasp on her, whether to think she is genuine or is trying to manipulate Gael. I mean, that whole scene at the ultrasound visit could be read as her knowing exactly what to say to make him sure he doesn't need that test. And holy shit, I didn't know you can get that test so early in the pregnancy. 

I don't know what to think about Callie's work stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if her boss still hasn't told her everything.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just watched it and have mixed feelings. Gael, the Good, doing the noble thing but still no word on how people, in 2021, are having unprotected sex with multiple partners. Really bugging me. They could at least come up with the broken condom excuse.

Malika's brooding story is annoying. Mariana's story is annoying.

Liked Callie's legal story, and I usually don't like Callie in anything. She wasn't playing savior of all causes, at least.

Adding: the IPO stuff is too much corporatism for me. I wish, but know the writers will not go there, the whole thing failed - like it would be great to see Zuck go down in pieces. I like Evan, but hate the whole ultra capitalism stuff. But not going to happen

Edited by circumvent
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

Gael, the Good, doing the noble thing but still no word on how people, in 2021, are having unprotected sex with multiple partners. Really bugging me. They could at least come up with the broken condom excuse.

Yeah, that too.

I agree with Mariana's coworkers deciding they couldn't be in business with someone they don't trust. I felt bad for Mariana, but she brought it on herself. However, I disagree with the claim that Mariana only does the right thing when she has to. She started the women's fight club group to help the women at her company, she released the salary info, and she covered up for the woman who gave her all the salary info. She also didn't have to quit when Evan wouldn't shut down her app. She lied....and was continuing to lie by not telling her friends about Evan's financing offer (which I think she should have done), but she usually tries to do help other people. I am curious how much work she's already put into the app though.....if it actually becomes successful she could argue it's in part because of her involvement. But it's not really clear what has already been done on the idea.

I did disagree with her friends suing Evan because they didn't have any luck getting financing. Evan adjusted their salaries when he found out about the pay gap and he fired those assholes. It didn't even occur to them to sue until they got turned down and were desperate for money. It didn't seem like they really felt wronged, it felt like they saw it as an easy way to get money. And I don't get how they could hire a lawyer so fast and afford to pay a lawyer. But I guess we are done with them.

I feel like Callie sort of likes that she and Gael won't just have a simple relationship. She would probably get bored with that in two episodes. Him having a baby with another woman makes things interesting.

I still don't trust Callie's boss, but I do like seeing Callie do well at work.

I am really happy Alice got to go back to the comedy group and that Margaret Cho helped get rid of the racist guy. I was really surprised they had gotten her to guest star just to tell Alice to suck it up and play to her stereotypes. And it looked like maybe she and Ruby still have a shot?

• Love 5

I was thrilled to see Alice finally get some self-esteem and say she wouldn't be in a relationship with someone who only has her back when there is nothing at stake. I hope that sticks.

I liked Mariana doing the right thing and also having some consequences for her previous behavior. I agree with everyone about that whole story. I worry they will have her revert to juvenile bullshit, based on the preview, but promos are often misleading, so I hope not.

I'm hating the Gael-Isabella story. I can't think of a single resolution that I'd be glad to have watched.

GOOD FOR DAVIA for telling Dennis what for. 

I don't trust Lawyer Lady, but I honestly don't have a guess where this is going right now. I feel like Callie is being used and set up to fail, but I don't know if the show wants to pile on more trauma for her or not.

Malika's situation is just a mess. That's all. I don't know what the show is trying to say here. I'd be down for an ethical non-monogamy story, but they set it up all wrong and there doesn't look to me like a way to resolve it that won't be bullshit one way or the other.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I agree with Mariana's coworkers deciding they couldn't be in business with someone they don't trust. I felt bad for Mariana, but she brought it on herself. However, I disagree with the claim that Mariana only does the right thing when she has to. She started the women's fight club group to help the women at her company, she released the salary info, and she covered up for the woman who gave her all the salary info. She also didn't have to quit when Evan wouldn't shut down her app. She lied....and was continuing to lie by not telling her friends about Evan's financing offer (which I think she should have done), but she usually tries to do help other people. I am curious how much work she's already put into the app though.....if it actually becomes successful she could argue it's in part because of her involvement. But it's not really clear what has already been done on the idea.

I did disagree with her friends suing Evan because they didn't have any luck getting financing. Evan adjusted their salaries when he found out about the pay gap and he fired those assholes. It didn't even occur to them to sue until they got turned down and were desperate for money. It didn't seem like they really felt wronged, it felt like they saw it as an easy way to get money. And I don't get how they could hire a lawyer so fast and afford to pay a lawyer. But I guess we are done with them.

I agree. I think Marianna does the right things but many times in the wrong way, rushed, without much actual planning. And I also agree that suing Evan was a mix of the writers sending a signal about "women's power" and being so invested in the system of "easy" gains. Both wrong in this context, imo.

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Malika's situation is just a mess. That's all. I don't know what the show is trying to say here. I'd be down for an ethical non-monogamy story, but they set it up all wrong and there doesn't look to me like a way to resolve it that won't be bullshit one way or the other.

I think they are trying too hard to fit every single identity in the show, and are overdoing it. It comes out as wokeness bullshit. It would be fine with to have stories that cover more issues that are not usually mainstreamed, but not by just throwing them in the ring in the way they did this one.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I think Marianna giving insider information about the IPO that she learned through her relationship with Evan to her friends' lawyers was kind of unethical.

The whole thing felt unethical and shady. Less of a lawsuit and more blackmail.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

The whole thing felt unethical and shady. Less of a lawsuit and more blackmail.

I am not sure if it is a secret - the IPO thing, I don't know enough about it. I remember listening about how Facebook should go public for a long time, how Zuck reportedly resisted for a while, and I guess it is related to IPO. So, not unethical in a sense of breaking business rules, but more like violating his trust. I do agree that it felt shady and like a blackmail. Ethics aren't usually part of corporate culture. Backstabbing, on the other hand, it rampant. 

I'm not a lawyer, but if there was anything unethical about it, I would consider it Evan's fault for sharing that info with his girlfriend. You are usually not supposed to share any company "secrets" with anyone outside, be it family, friends, etc. The fact that Marianna worked there previously is irrelevant in this case, IMO.

• Love 1

Malika's story is really disappointing, I would love a story about someone trying out being polyamorous, but the way its coming off, its less about discovering a new part of Malika's identity and more about her being hot for this new guy but wanting to stay with her current boyfriend without being the bad guy. Its ironically one of the negative stereotypes about people in open relationships, that they just want an excuse to sleep around without having to deal with the consequences of cheating. 

They just haven't spent enough time with it, making it all a bigger symptom of one of the shows problems, they try to cram SO MUCH into every episode, every single identity and social issue they can possibly think of, that they don't have the time to give any of these identities or issues the time that they need. It can come off like they're just checking boxes instead of really representing different identities or dealing with social issues. 

• Love 3
On 7/15/2021 at 5:51 PM, possibilities said:

I was thrilled to see Alice finally get some self-esteem and say she wouldn't be in a relationship with someone who only has her back when there is nothing at stake. I hope that sticks.

I liked Mariana doing the right thing and also having some consequences for her previous behavior. I agree with everyone about that whole story. I worry they will have her revert to juvenile bullshit, based on the preview, but promos are often misleading, so I hope not.

I'm hating the Gael-Isabella story. I can't think of a single resolution that I'd be glad to have watched.

GOOD FOR DAVIA for telling Dennis what for. 

I don't trust Lawyer Lady, but I honestly don't have a guess where this is going right now. I feel like Callie is being used and set up to fail, but I don't know if the show wants to pile on more trauma for her or not.

I agree with your entire post, but especially Davia and Dennis. 

On this one I am team Davia, and while I liked them as friends, I think Dennis has been messing with her feelings because he can. I don’t think he’s getting a sick thrill out of it, but he’s being SO SELFISH when he is the one that initiated things and told her he loved her and left! The storyline is very realistic though- often people are very selfish and self absorbed because they think in the back of their mind the person will always be there. 

I actually like Davia with her co-worker, he seems nice. 

• Love 2