Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Quilt Fairy

The Beast Must Die

"The Beast Must Die,” a six-episode miniseries that premiered its first episode this week on the AMC+ streaming service (episodes will show up on AMC the following week) is more of a slow-burn mystery-thriller where it's not at all clear who the "beast" is. It’s based on a 1938 novel written by Nicholas Blake, which was an alias for Daniel Day-Lewis’ father, Cecil, of all people.

The action takes place on the Isle of Wight, a picturesque and forbidding island in the English Channel, all sunny beaches and craggy cliffs. The terrific Cush Jumbo (“The Good Fight,” “Deadwater Fell”) plays Frances, a grieving mother whose 6-year-old son was killed by a hit-and-run driver on one of the island’s remote roads six months earlier. The local police, who seem more concerned with keeping the peace than solving crimes, haven’t made any headway, so Frances takes extreme measures to find out who is responsible.

AMC+ premier date: July 5, 2021   /  AMC premier date: July 12, 2021

Saw it during its initial Britbox run.  Started out very strong, but sadly, didn't stick the landing.   But I'd watch Cush Jumbo in anything.

• Useful 1

I watched about 15 minutes.  Never heard of Cush Jumbo (is that her real name?) but I was not impressed with her.  Looked her up and saw she'd been in other stuff, but I'm still not intrigued.  Too bad, because I do like Jared Harris. 

The first ep didn’t grab me, but I will give it a few more episodes because I like Jared Harris so much.  I never liked Cush Jumbo’s character on The Good Wife, so I am trying to get over that association.   I can empathize with her character in this, but so far the show is using too many tropes…the mom with a vigilante revenge story, the world weary tortured soul policeman, the (probably) abused young model (probable) girlfriend of the (probable) villain.  I will watch some more, so I hope it picks up by the 3rd one.

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Like 1

I switched back and forth between channels before I gave up, so I missed the part where she shaved and dyed her hair.  Did she think that would make her some kind of badass?  🙄

I suspect it's about changing her look (and her name) so she isn't immediately associated with the hit-and-run victim while investigating the crime.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I'm still watching it.  It's okay, and since it's just 6 episodes, I'll stick with it until the end.  There is very little else on to watch (I don't do streaming) and I'm mildly interested to know who the hit and run driver was.

• Like 1