Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E18: Clayton

• Start Topic

Clayton's father's gender dysphoria led to a breakdown of the family; Clayton turned to drugs, as a heroin addict, Clayton has lost his right to be a father to his daughter; Clayton's family is scared that he will not survive without an intervention.

Original air date: 7/12/21

(edited)

Not sure what to think about this one.  I was surprised he went to the second facility and he stayed there.  I am interested to know if he really has stayed  clean since 2018.

His parents…   Don’t even know what to say to this.  Mom said Dad lied to the kids, he told them they got divorced because Mom had an affair.  No one said what Mom told the kids.  Dad was mad because Mom didn’t tell them Dad was becoming a woman.  At least that’s what I could glean about why Lisa was  mad at her ex-wife. 
Yet both sons weren’t accepting of it when they did find out when they were presumably old enough to understand. So would they have been more accepting as tweens? Would Lisa have gotten the relationships  with them that she feels she missed?  
Poor Nicole, still trying to be the peacemaker between her parents in the middle of the pre-intervention.  Then Lisa tries to take center stage both there and at the intervention.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

Lisa was an attention vampire. Not only taking center stage at the pre-intervention and the actual intervention, but geez! Announcing your transgender status to your family by showing up at your daughter’s graduation in a dress?! It’s your daughter’s night, not yours. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

Lisa was an attention vampire. Not only taking center stage at the pre-intervention and the actual intervention, but geez! Announcing your transgender status to your family by showing up at your daughter’s graduation in a dress?! It’s your daughter’s night, not yours. 

Agreed. This was about Clayton and she made it about herself. 

This was a very messy situation. I could understand the mother’s anger and bitterness. I’m sure she felt completely betrayed by her husband’s decision to become a woman. And honestly with this happening in the 1990s when being transgender was taboo, I can see why she kept him away from their kids. I’m sure there was fear as to how it would affect the kids, what the town would think as it was mentioned that they lived in a small town. I’m not saying her choices were right. Honestly I don’t know what the right choice would be in that situation, but I understand why she did what she did. 

I could understand Lisa wanting to live her truth, but I found her to be extremely selfish in how she handled her transition with regards to her kids and her behavior at the pre-intervention

18 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I was surprised he went to the second facility and he stayed there.  I am interested to know if he really has stayed  clean since 2018.

This. His follow up was a little iffy to me. He’d experienced a lot of pain. I hope he is clean. 

• Love 3
(edited)

That was a mess.

Shout out to Jesse who went to see Clayton at his second rehab, and give him some positive reinforcement. That's nice follow up that you don't often see, and it clearly meant a lot to Clayton. Jesse has a calming presence which was appropriate for this situation.  ...and on a superficial note, I would probably go with him anywhere he asked me to go. : D

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, Enero said:

I’m sure there was fear as to how it would affect the kids, what the town would think as it was mentioned that they lived in a small town. 

I think when they left the intervention they got on a seaplane so it must be REALLY small and remote. I’m sure the fathers transition to Lisa must have been the talk of the town. And I totally agree that the mom did the best she could under the circumstances, it must have been confusing as hell.

• Love 2

I’m not down with cutting off family members when they transition, even in small towns in the 90s. Clayton was pretty hateful misgendering Lisa in 2018, when even heroin addicts have access to a clue — looks like he learned that at home. That said, Lisa was Ms. Drama and Ms. Victim, and I’m not down with that either. Is it possible anybody else in the family matters at all, Lisa? Poor Nicole trying to love everyone.

• Love 3