Type keyword(s) to search

Judo, Taekwondo, and Karate

• Start Topic

(edited)

Canada wins a bronze in women's 57g (the first medal by a woman in the sport for us).  - in Judo :)

It's kinda sad that she got eliminated by penalties in the semifinal, she was favoured to win gold, but a medal is a medal here :)

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 1

I learned yesterday that in Judo two siblings won gold for Japan within an hour of each other. That apparently is the first time in history. That must be one excited family. 

• Love 1

I've learned a fair amount about taekwondo over the last three days. One of those things being that, apparently, the Olympics aren't the best example of what a taekwondo match should be, because everyone is so scared of losing that they're reluctant to go all out and take risks. Makes sense, but the flashes of kicking that I've seen suggest that it could be a sport that's much more fun to watch that it is.

For Great Britain, it's been a case of 'almost' with two silvers and a shock exit for reigning champion, Jade Jones.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I've learned a fair amount about taekwondo over the last three days. One of those things being that, apparently, the Olympics aren't the best example of what a taekwondo match should be, because everyone is so scared of losing that they're reluctant to go all out and take risks. Makes sense, but the flashes of kicking that I've seen suggest that it could be a sport that's much more fun to watch that it is.

For Great Britain, it's been a case of 'almost' with two silvers and a shock exit for reigning champion, Jade Jones.

Plus during a sparing match you don't do the "fun" moves like spinning kicks or the jumping ones. I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do (however did it for fun not completing). But from what I saw and the few times I sparred nobody uses those moves. Mostly round house kicks. 

• Useful 1
50 minutes ago, blueray said:

Plus during a sparing match you don't do the "fun" moves like spinning kicks or the jumping ones. I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do (however did it for fun not completing). But from what I saw and the few times I sparred nobody uses those moves. Mostly round house kicks. 

I'm an old black belt, studied under Jhoon Rhee and his instructors, and I did it for fun, too.  However, I remember us using our hands as well as kicks.  I'm short so I didn't do many head kicks, jumped a little, but I loved side kicks and spinning back fists. 

I do agree with @Danny Franks that these athletes seem to be hesitant to take risks because they're afraid of losing; hence, the foot fencing. 

22 hours ago, blueray said:

Makes sense, but the flashes of kicking that I've seen suggest that it could be a sport that's much more fun to watch that it is.

I watched Judo for a bit because of the medal we won and found the same thing. I remember seeing (probably in movies) flips and other fun moves, but what I saw here in the women's looked more like a cat fight. lol

1 hour ago, ferjy said:

I watched Judo for a bit because of the medal we won and found the same thing. I remember seeing (probably in movies) flips and other fun moves, but what I saw here in the women's looked more like a cat fight. lol

I did Judo for a few years in University and when you get two fairly evenly matched competitors, it's difficult to get an advantage and can feel a bit scrappy until the fighters settle in a bit. 

• Love 1

The Dutch judo team is confusing. Outside of the Olympics they perform great, there were three world champions among this group this, and now the second Olympics in a row they go home with one bronze medal. It has to be frustrating for them.