Type keyword(s) to search

The Winchesters Anticipation

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I would imagine Dean's part in the series is mainly a fill in the blanks (or present the questions) narrator.

Personally,  the trailer made me feel, that Dean's mission has something more than just filling in the blanks. Dean said "I need to uncover the truth''. So he needs that, not just wants. 

''I am on a new mission and that story is just beginning''. So, beginning of what? IMO it does not sound to me that Dean won't take any active part of it. 

2 hours ago, MAK said:

A weird and and kind of out there take, but from what Jensen said (and didn't say) about Sam and the timeline, maybe the appearance of the Samulet is because Dean's mission is somehow about saving/finding Sam? That's why Sam is not involved?  

That makes the most sense but the elephant in the room is Jared. I don't think Jensen will include Sam at all because if he did, then he would be creating a story for Sam that Jared isn't involved in. It would justify Jared's tweets and make Jensen and the show look bad. If that magically changes at the Con and Jared says he does have some involvement or that he backs the show, then it becomes more likely Dean is searching for Sam.

• Useful 2
(edited)

If Dean is in Heaven, he might be searching for Mary and John. We never saw them in 15.20. There might be some troubles with locating them. Maybe something happened in Heaven, that did not let Dean to find them. In this case uncovering the truth might help Dean to finally find them. Maybe Dean got some hint, where he could start from. And every time Dean gets new information about his parents, it helps him to chose the right road. The closer he gets to them, the more information he gets. Also he could get some alternative versions of what happened and then he should choose what's more likely the truth. A lot of ways to make the story about John/Mary, give Dean small but active and important part of that story and not to slip into ''Sam, Sam, Sam''. 

Edited by Nick24
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Nick24 said:

If Dean is in Heaven, he might be searching for Mary and John.

Didn't Bobby tell Dean his parents have a house "just over there"? Dran even looked in that direction. 

But....Bobby also said "it's a whole new world ou there." Maybe that has something to do with it?

10 hours ago, MAK said:

Didn't Bobby tell Dean his parents have a house "just over there"? Dran even looked in that direction. 

But....Bobby also said "it's a whole new world ou there." Maybe that has something to do with it?

What makes the most sense is Dean is in Heaven. Jensen can do whatever he wants and it has no effect on Sam's story. If Dean is in Heaven then maybe he did go to visit his parents (one of the only things I liked about the finale was Dean finding out where Mary lived and immediately driving as far away from her as possible). The story could be John and Mary's story in Heaven conflicts with everything Dean knew and saw first hand on earth. The mission could be finding out the truth and why there is a conflict. Hopefully, we will find out more at the panels today.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, MAK said:

That's true, but then Dean went for a ride. Maybe he came back (before Sam) and they were gone for some reason and now he has to find them.

Like @Lastcall said:

58 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Jensen can do whatever he wants and it has no effect on Sam's story.

58 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

If Dean is in Heaven then maybe he did go to visit his parents (one of the only things I liked about the finale was Dean finding out where Mary lived and immediately driving as far away from her as possible)

Wow. I just realized that. First I was laughing, but now it seems really really sad. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Nick24 said:

Wow. I just realized that. First I was laughing, but now it seems really really sad. 

Only good thing about Covid was that it ruined Dabb's original ending. He thought it was epic but all it was is a final Dean insult. The Bobby scene was probably the same but no one else in Heaven cared Dean died. Dean drove around alone until Sam arrived and it was only then that all the friends and family in Heaven showed up to throw a massive Welcome party for Sam with Kansas singing in the Roadhouse. That would have been far sadder to me.

• Sad 5
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Only good thing about Covid was that it ruined Dabb's original ending. 

I've heard that there were some changes, but I did not know the details.

The Bobby scene was probably the same but no one else in Heaven cared Dean died. 

Unfortunately, I got the feeling that no one else cared about Dean's death even in the actual finale we got. 

Dean drove around alone until Sam arrived and it was only then that all the friends and family in Heaven showed up to throw a massive Welcome party for Sam with Kansas singing in the Roadhouse. That would have been far sadder to me.

Did he really want this? I'm gonna be sick. I never thought that I would hate some producer that much as I do Dabb and Singer now.

Edited by Nick24
  • Love 2
(edited)

If we put aside all that Dabb's hatred of Dean/JA, I do not get, what's the point to kill off the main character in the finale of 15-years-series. This is neither clever nor exciting nor fresh nor original nor interesting nor bittersweet. This is annoying, offensive, insulting, disgusting and devaluating the whole point of the story.

Edited by Nick24
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I watched both Chicago panels and it's hard to believe that in an hour and half of questions, no one asked about the Winchesters, the trailer, or Dean's role. Yes, there were two prequel related questions, but they were about working different sets. Jensen glossed over the first one and only talked about the Boys set and the second was barely better. It may be confirmation bias but there was something off about how some of the things that came up were answered. If people really didn't want to talk about it, then The Winchesters is in big trouble. These conventions are the best places to start generating interest and if people can't or won't ask any questions, it's a troubling sign. Maybe Creation told people not to ask or fans didn't want to upset Jared, there was no issues talking about it when Jensen was alone or with Misha. Anything Prequel related seems to get shut down whenever Jared is around, so I don't expect to hear anything until San Francisco Now.

As for Jared, again there were a few things that he was cagey about or definitely wanted to communicate to everyone. He was very careful answering the Dean Jr. question, like he knew something he didn't want people to know yet. So, maybe he does want to do a sequel and that had something to do with the controversy. The second was his blanket statement on the reboot, that whatever form it took, he....and Jensen were going to have control over the story. That might be a reference that he has no power or control over The Winchesters.

Now the big takeaway, the reboot is happening, and an announcement may be imminent. Some of the things I noticed could be due to negotiations they are going through now. The Dean Jr. evasiveness could be because they are negotiating the reboot. Jensen gave us the most detailed pitch yet and now it's a 10 to 12 episode show following one case. Jared even confirmed he likes that pitch too. Jensen may not even be worried if The Winchesters is a success or not. The whole project could be a test run for Jensen to learn all the pitfalls of running a supernatural show and if it's a success then it's icing on the cake.  I think this reboot talk is gaining too much momentum to just be fan service. The next year should be pretty interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Anything Prequel related seems to get shut down whenever Jared is around, so I don't expect to hear anything until San Francisco Now.

This seems so childish to me.

As for Jared, again there were a few things that he was cagey about or definitely wanted to communicate to everyone. He was very careful answering the Dean Jr. question, like he knew something he didn't want people to know yet. So, maybe he does want to do a sequel and that had something to do with the controversy. 

My head and heart hurt even thinking about it.

That might be a reference that he has no power or control over The Winchesters.

Good. Why would he?

@Lastcall Thank you very much for your analysis! 

Edited by Nick24
  • Like 3
28 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

I watched both Chicago panels and it's hard to believe that in an hour and half of questions, no one asked about the Winchesters, the trailer, or Dean's role. Yes, there were two prequel related questions, but they were about working different sets. Jensen glossed over the first one and only talked about the Boys set and the second was barely better. It may be confirmation bias but there was something off about how some of the things that came up were answered. If people really didn't want to talk about it, then The Winchesters is in big trouble. These conventions are the best places to start generating interest and if people can't or won't ask any questions, it's a troubling sign. Maybe Creation told people not to ask or fans didn't want to upset Jared, there was no issues talking about it when Jensen was alone or with Misha. Anything Prequel related seems to get shut down whenever Jared is around, so I don't expect to hear anything until San Francisco Now.

As for Jared, again there were a few things that he was cagey about or definitely wanted to communicate to everyone. He was very careful answering the Dean Jr. question, like he knew something he didn't want people to know yet. So, maybe he does want to do a sequel and that had something to do with the controversy. The second was his blanket statement on the reboot, that whatever form it took, he....and Jensen were going to have control over the story. That might be a reference that he has no power or control over The Winchesters.

Now the big takeaway, the reboot is happening, and an announcement may be imminent. Some of the things I noticed could be due to negotiations they are going through now. The Dean Jr. evasiveness could be because they are negotiating the reboot. Jensen gave us the most detailed pitch yet and now it's a 10 to 12 episode show following one case. Jared even confirmed he likes that pitch too. Jensen may not even be worried if The Winchesters is a success or not. The whole project could be a test run for Jensen to learn all the pitfalls of running a supernatural show and if it's a success then it's icing on the cake.  I think this reboot talk is gaining too much momentum to just be fan service. The next year should be pretty interesting.

Both guys have other commitments for the time being and as long as Walker runs (and if it keeps to a 18-20 episode Season), it would be pretty hard to fit in a 10-12 episode show.

And if they were not heavily involved in a Reunion project, what would be the point? 

• Useful 1
47 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

I watched both Chicago panels and it's hard to believe that in an hour and half of questions, no one asked about the Winchesters, the trailer, or Dean's role.

Taking to the Supernatural Public Appearances thread..

1 hour ago, Aeryn13 said:

Both guys have other commitments for the time being and as long as Walker runs (and if it keeps to a 18-20 episode Season), it would be pretty hard to fit in a 10-12 episode show.

And if they were not heavily involved in a Reunion project, what would be the point? 

I think whatever is happening is in the very very early stages. Jensen was working The Winchesters a year before the announcement came out and it took close to another to film the pilot. Jensen is signing short term contracts and deals, the Blue Sky project is only for one year so far. If they stick to the outline they gave at the Con then it's a one case show which I bet they would film in Austin. There is also the CW problem where Walker and The Winchesters might not even be kept by the new owners. Walker would probably go to Paramount but who knows? Even if they both were huge successes, filming in Austin would make it very easy to film during their breaks. I'm not saying we would see this in 23 but 24 would be very possible and 25 would be nice as it's the 20 year anniversary. 

As for the reboot itself, it absolutely has to be run by Jensen and Jared. The reason the finale was as horrible as it was had as much to do with Jensen being frozen out as the bad writing. Both their production companies should be equal partners in this. 

• Love 1
(edited)

As for the reboot itself, it absolutely has to be run by Jensen and Jared. 

In order to do that they both have to have some common opinion, what that reboot should look like. And more important, what do they consider as the purpose of the reboot?

Both their production companies should be equal partners in this. 

Agreed. But the biggest mystery is the showrunner. IMO the most obvious choice seems to be Robbie Thompson, but maybe Ben Edlund could decide to show up.

Edited by Nick24
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Nick24 said:

In order to do that they both have to have some common opinion, what that reboot should look like. And more important, what do they consider as the purpose of the reboot.

I think they already do. Jared said he liked the True Detective pitch. Jared and Jensen seem on the same page with the reboot and are working everything out now with whomever.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

I think they already do. Jared said he liked the True Detective pitch. Jared and Jensen seem on the same page with the reboot and are working everything out now with whomever.

Sounds good. Now I can only hope that their purposes have something in common with my wishes. 😄

Edited by Nick24
30 minutes ago, Nick24 said:

Sounds good. Now I can only hope that their purposes have something in common with my wishes. 😄

I think it will. There is a power dynamic to J2's relationship. They both had more power at different points in the main show. Carver seemed to lean more towards Jensen and Dabb definitely preferred Jared. Jared talked about J2 having a voice in the show and helping control the story and canon (wouldn't brag about that one) while Jensen talked about having more control on the actual Canadian set. They both seem to have more power in different areas.

The Winchesters is Jensen in total control. We will see the unfiltered, uncensored version Jensen believes Dean to be. This will be Jensen's statement on who he believes Dean is as well as who John and Mary are. When the reboot happens, Jensen isn't going to be in the same position he was with Dabb. Jensen will decide how Dean's story ends and Jared will decide Sam's. That seems fitting to me. 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

The Winchesters is Jensen in total control. We will see the unfiltered, uncensored version Jensen believes Dean to be. This will be Jensen's statement on who he believes Dean is as well as who John and Mary are. When the reboot happens, Jensen isn't going to be in the same position he was with Dabb. Jensen will decide how Dean's story ends and Jared will decide Sam's. That seems fitting to me. 

I can't wait anymore to see it. I guess I need a personal angel to timetravel. 

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lastcall said:

Carver seemed to lean more towards Jensen 

I did not see it that way. Of course, Carver gave Dean/JA his own mytharc, which lasted longer than one episode, but at the same time Carver turned Dean into Sam's nursemaid in 8B.

IMO Carver was trying to treat Dean/JA and Sam/JP more or less equally and create something new for the characters. That is why imo he was the only showrunner, who was able to write an appropriate series finale.

Edited by Nick24
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, Nick24 said:

Of course, Carver gave Dean/JA his own mytharc, which lasted longer than one episode, but at the same time Carver turned Dean into Sam's nursemaid in 8B.

Which sucks because he gave Dean his most interesting storyline but also leaned too heavily into the "take care of Sammy" dynamic.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

Which sucks because he gave Dean his most interesting storyline but also leaned too heavily into the "take care of Sammy" dynamic.

Actually, this might've been Singer. 

9 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

I agree that it sucks. It sucks more, because Carver had a lot of great ideas like the trials, the MoC, the BotD, the Darkness, but execution mostly wasn't good at all. Also he created a lot of interesting characters (Benny, Naomi, Alfi, Abaddon, Cain, Henry, etc.), who were not one-note, but they killed them all. It's like Carver did not see much potential in his own ideas and this is very sad, because with good execution and equal treating Dean/Sam Carver's seasons would have been the best.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Nick24 said:

I did not see it that way. Of course, Carver gave Dean/JA his own mytharc, which lasted longer than one episode, but at the same time Carver turned Dean into Sam's nursemaid in 8B.

IMO Carver was trying to treat Dean/JA and Sam/JP more or less equally and create something new for the characters. That is why imo he was the only showrunner, who was able to write an appropriate series finale.

The big difference is when Jensen thought Dean was falling into Sam's shadow he went to Carver and he came up with the Mark of Cain storyline (My number one favorite storyline, I want a MoC solo Dean show). Compare that with Jensen going to Dabb to discuss the Michael story and getting the "do whatever you want, you'll do great." blowoff. Every so often there would be a crack and Jensen would say something like "I had an idea for (blank)...but no one would probably listen" during the Dabb run. 

Thats why I believe he quit and why he is doing the prequel. He has been able to collaborate with some showrunners but has always had to make concessions. I think The Winchesters is Jensen's chance to put his own mark on Dean right beside Kripke, Gamble, Carver, and Dabb (maybe Singer).

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

Carver was the showrunner at the time so it still falls on him.

But Singer was an Executive Producer since 1.02 and AFAIK after Kripke's departure Singer had the same power as Gamble/Carver/Dabb.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Nick24 said:

But Singer was an Executive Producer since 1.02 and AFAIK after Kripke's departure Singer had the same power as Gamble/Carver/Dabb.

But Carver was still the showrunner. Regardless of who was the EP he was ultimately the man in charge. He even directed the biggest "poor Sammy" episode from season 8 which was Sacrifice. He definitely added to the narrative.

Edited by DeeDee79
(edited)
7 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

But Carver was still the showrunner. Regardless of who was the EP he was ultimately the man in charge. He even directed the biggest "Dean is Sam's caretaker" episode which was Sacrifice. He definitely added to the narrative.

I am not 100% sure about that. I've read some Thompson's interviews and got the feeling, that Singer had a lot more power than we thought, especially about characterization (I saw it even on this forum somewhere). Robbie always used Gamble/Singer, Carver/Singer, when he was talking about the showrunners. Also Singer had the rights to approve the scripts without Carver. I guess it's pretty unclear, who was responsible for what. 

Edited by Nick24
1 minute ago, Nick24 said:

I am not 100% sure about that. I've read some Thompson's interviews and got the feeling, that Singer had a lot more power than we thought, especially about characterization (I saw it even on this forum somewhere). Robbie always used Gamble/Singer, Carver/Singer, when he was talking about the showrunners. Also Singer had the rights to approve the scripts without Carver. I guess it's pretty unclear, who was responsible for what. 

I'm sure Singer had a lot of power but that doesn't take away from the fact that the showrunner is the one that has the final say. That's always been my understanding based on this show and others.

10 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

But Carver was still the showrunner. Regardless of who was the EP he was ultimately the man in charge. He even directed the biggest "poor Sammy" episode from season 8 which was Sacrifice. He definitely added to the narrative.

Phil Scriggia directed Sacrifice. 

4 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

You're right, Carver was the writer. Which actually proves my point even more!

Sacrifice was the reason for the entire arc of S8 from start to finish. So yes love it or hate it that was the story that Carver wanted to tell.

I will say that the angels falling was the coolest season finale visually.

• Love 1
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

The big difference is when Jensen thought Dean was falling into Sam's shadow he went to Carver and he came up with the Mark of Cain storyline 

I 100% agree. Don't get me wrong. I consider Carver as the best showrunner for Dean/JA, better than Kripke, because Eric made the writing for Dean in S4 absolutely pointless with his self-indulgent semi-meta S5 finale. I am just saying that Jeremy had a lot of problems too (like 8.23 and 9.01).

41 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

(My number one favorite storyline, I want a MoC solo Dean show).

Mine too. Well, now I want MoC!Dean or even better - Demon!Dean solo show too. 

Edited by Nick24
4 minutes ago, Nick24 said:

Mine too. Well, now I want MoC!Dean or even better - Demon!Dean solo show too. 

Isn't that SB? Kripke has been suggesting a prequel (sheesh what's with all the prequels) about how SB came to be. So there's that.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Isn't that SB? Kripke has been suggesting a prequel (sheesh what's with all the prequels) about how SB came to be. So there's that.

What's SB? I can't get it.

10 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Sacrifice was the reason for the entire arc of S8 from start to finish. So yes love it or hate it that was the story that Carver wanted to tell.

But it does not make his story good. Considering his decisions about Sam/Dean relationship in 8A, the most logical thing was to give the trials to Dean, because Sam was the one who had to prove his loyalty to Dean.

Edited by Nick24
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I will say that the angels falling was the coolest season finale visually.

It most definitely was but the Darkness being released at the end of season 10 was pretty cool too.

8 minutes ago, Nick24 said:

What's SB? I can't get it.

17 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Soldier Boy from The Boys.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Well, Soldier Boy is Soldier Boy. Dean is Dean. I want indeed a solo Dean show. Of course, that's just dreams.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Wow, I never heard that one. That would be great for Jensen. He has enough projects now for the next decade.

52 minutes ago, Nick24 said:

I 100% agree. Don't get me wrong. I consider Carver as the best showrunner for Dean/JA, better than Kripke, because Eric made the writing for Dean in S4 absolutely pointless with his self-indulgent semi-meta S5 finale. I am just saying that Jeremy had a lot of problems too (like 8.23 and 9.01)

Yeah, I don't think he was perfect either, but he will always be my favorite because of MoC. You are right about getting rid of characters too early. Benny was a big loss. Dabb dialed it up to eleven though. Lily Sunder and the Twins had a lot of potential but had they had to make room for Jack and the Waywards. I hope The Winchesters does a better job with this. I didn't see anything too cringe in the trailer but my biggest fear is that Robbie may fall into old habits and make one or more of the new characters stand ins or writers pets. I would have preferred The Winchesters starting with just John and Mary and expanding the cast organically like with Castiel and Bobby in the old show. 

• Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Yeah, I don't think he was perfect either, but he will always be my favorite because of MoC. 

Here I completely agree! When I got to 9.11, where the MoC got started, I lost my mind and made the rest of Season 9 and Season 10 within 2 weeks. 

Lily Sunder and the Twins had a lot of potential but had they had to make room for Jack and the Waywards.

IMO more complex characters were beyond Dabb's paygrade. 

I didn't see anything too cringe in the trailer but my biggest fear is that Robbie may fall into old habits and make one or more of the new characters stand ins or writers pets. I would have preferred The Winchesters starting with just John and Mary and expanding the cast organically like with Castiel and Bobby in the old show. 

I see your point. I hope Robbie has learned his lesson with Charlie. My personal fear with Robbie is his obsession with meta. After S15 I loathe everything meta-related. Also some of Robbie's episodes had the features of fanservice-writing. And again after Dabb I cannot stand fanservice either. All I want is decent and exciting storytelling, which would make sense. I have my hopes that Robbie and Jensen together are capable of doing this.

Edited by Nick24
(edited)
13 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

Carver was the showrunner at the time so it still falls on him.

I've been thinking about our Carver discussion lately and I finally realized what had been bothering me about S8. IMO it felt like 8A and 8B had different showrunners. In the first half of the season we saw Sam and his gazillion bitchfaces and nasty behaving towards Dean and Benny. On the other hand, we saw Dean who was standing up for himself and his friend, who was not putting Sam in front of everything and who was likely ready to move on without him. But then Torn and Frayed came along and that was 180-degree turn. Dean became once again All About Sam, Sam on the other hand began blaming Dean in suicidal tendencies (8.14). I have no idea what that was. That is why I am conflicted about Carver. 

ETA: It's like he was trying to move on from the old Dean/Sam relationship, but then for some reason he came back to the same old dynamics and even made it worse with 8.23.

ETA2: Just the second half of S8 really contradicted the first half, because like I've said before Sam was the one who had/needed to prove his loyalty to his brother, whom he had abandoned and the best way to do this was to let Dean take on the trials and put Sam in the supportive role. That would have been logical. But Mr Carver might've had his own definition of ''logical''. ''Mature'' as well.

Edited by Nick24

I don't think Dean will be part of the show except as Narrator, much like Jim Parsons in Young Sheldon. If for no other reason than Jensen is too busy to be an active character.  It's smart to have his face in the pilot- he's the name. But once the premise is established,  it has to live or die by the story and the regular characters. I think Robbie and Jensen have enough faith in the project to let that happen,  and so, apparently, did the network. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't think Dean will be part of the show except as Narrator, much like Jim Parsons in Young Sheldon. If for no other reason than Jensen is too busy to be an active character.  It's smart to have his face in the pilot- he's the name. But once the premise is established,  it has to live or die by the story and the regular characters. I think Robbie and Jensen have enough faith in the project to let that happen,  and so, apparently, did the network. 

I thought that also until I saw the trailer. I do have fears that having Dean in it was a pr stunt and it might not be in the show at all, but I don't think Jensen wants to get everyone's hopes up only to pull the rug out from them. The trailer's purpose was to generate excitement and it succeeded. It raised many questions particularly about Dean's role in this. This trailer wanted us to think that 1) Dean will be on screen 2) he needs to find the truth about his parents 3) there ARE questions unanswered and 4) Dean has a new mission. If all of this was only for the trailer, fans will be upset, myself included.

Jensen does not have to invest a lot of time being on the show. If he is on screen, it will be for a minute or two tops. Thats the equivalent of a one episode guest shot on a tv series. He could film all of his scenes for the season in a week or two and New Orleans is way closer than all the shows he use to work on. It's very possible he could be on screen in every episode if he wants.

• Love 1
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

I thought that also until I saw the trailer. I do have fears that having Dean in it was a pr stunt and it might not be in the show at all, but I don't think Jensen wants to get everyone's hopes up only to pull the rug out from them. The trailer's purpose was to generate excitement and it succeeded. It raised many questions particularly about Dean's role in this. This trailer wanted us to think that 1) Dean will be on screen 2) he needs to find the truth about his parents 3) there ARE questions unanswered and 4) Dean has a new mission. If all of this was only for the trailer, fans will be upset, myself included.

Jensen does not have to invest a lot of time being on the show. If he is on screen, it will be for a minute or two tops. Thats the equivalent of a one episode guest shot on a tv series. He could film all of his scenes for the season in a week or two and New Orleans is way closer than all the shows he use to work on. It's very possible he could be on screen in every episode if he wants.

I agree with you here! For me Dean's mission is the most important thing right now. Honestly I would be disappointed if his mission was just filling in the blanks with no valuable purpose. I'll be watching anyway, but my enthusiasm might decrease a little. Of course, this show isn't about Dean, but few minutes per episode would be justified.

ETA: Also keeping Dean on screen would be helpful for ratings, because some Dean fans, who are not interested in John/Mary story might come and watch the show because of those few minutes per episode. 

Edited by Nick24
5 hours ago, Lastcall said:

I thought that also until I saw the trailer. I do have fears that having Dean in it was a pr stunt and it might not be in the show at all, but I don't think Jensen wants to get everyone's hopes up only to pull the rug out from them.

But it's not that. He's said all along it isn't about [Dean] and it's not a pr stunt -at least not in the negative connotation associated with that - it's smart, and it establishes the story and his place as narrator. IMO anyone who feels 'baited' by that or that the rug was pulled out from under them wasn't paying attention, or has an agenda.

5 hours ago, Lastcall said:

If all of this was only for the trailer, fans will be upset, myself included.

How else was it supposed to be established that the story is being told from his POV. He's never once said anything that lead me to believe he would be on-screen on a regular basis. Maybe I missed something. But as for his place in the pilot, I've already stated my take on that a number of times so I'll leave it at that.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

He's never once said anything that lead me to believe he would be on-screen on a regular basis.

IA, he continuously points out that he will be narrating only. Why would one assume that he will be on-screen even semi-regularly?

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

How else was it supposed to be established that the story is being told from his POV. He's never once said anything that lead me to believe he would be on-screen on a regular basis. Maybe I missed something. But as for his place in the pilot, I've already stated my take on that a number of times so I'll leave it at that.

I never expected Dean to be on camera, I never expected Dean to have a story. The trailer changed all of that. Jensen wanted to put out that Dean is on a mission. Every Dean part of that trailer implies that it is more than just telling the story of the parents and many Dean fans are seeing that way. For now, there is no way of knowing because Jensen hasn't addressed it yet.

(edited)
42 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

I never expected Dean to be on camera, I never expected Dean to have a story. The trailer changed all of that. Jensen wanted to put out that Dean is on a mission. Every Dean part of that trailer implies that it is more than just telling the story of the parents and many Dean fans are seeing that way. For now, there is no way of knowing because Jensen hasn't addressed it yet.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. I think he has addressed it many times.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 4