Type keyword(s) to search

Star City News

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

This weekend...

GalaxyCon Austin, September 1-3, 2023 (TX)
Stephen Amell, David Ramsey and Emily Bett Rickards  
https://galaxycon.com/pages/austin 

Dragon Con, August 31-September 4, 2023 (Atlanta, GA) 
Willa Holland, Katherine McNamara, David Nykl, Caity Lotz and Matt Ryan (also Tom Cavanagh, Carlos Valdes, Adam Tsekhman, Nicole Maines and Jesse Rath)
https://www.dragoncon.org 

Edited by tv echo
Updated to include DR among GalaxyCon Austin guests.

HOW THE STORY GETS TOLD
LegalDispatch 0.72

MARC GUGGENHEIM     SEP 1, 2023
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/how-the-story-gets-told 

In other news, I also finished the spec pilot I’d alluded to in the last newsletter. It’s a legal drama — my first since the ill-fated LA Law reboot — and I probably had a bit too much fun writing it. However, there’s nothing I can do with it until the WGA strike ends. That being said, for now, let’s call it PROJECT POULTRY.
To take a semi-specific example, in this newsletter I’ve mentioned two different law shows I’ve been working on: PROJECT EVERGREEN and PROJECT POULTRY. Both are legal shows with a focus on criminal law, but the feel of each that I’m going for is very different. Poultry is a bit more comedic whereas Evergreen aspires to be more — for lack of a better term — “elevated.” Poultry is irreverent whereas Evergreen is earnest. As a result, Poultry is less grounded than Evergreen.

Edited by tv echo

Greg Berlanti Commits $500,000 to Strike Relief Fund for Support Staff and Crew on His Shows
BY CHRIS GARDNER    SEPTEMBER 8, 2023 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/greg-berlanti-strike-relief-fund-1235585717/ 

Berlanti, who long held the title as Hollywood’s most prolific TV series producer through his Greg Berlanti Prods., is committing $500,000 for a strike relief fund that will benefit those who have worked on his company’s projects. Separately, he is doubling down on $150,000 donations to the Entertainment Community Fund and the Motion Picture & Television Fund, “two amazing organizations I am incredibly proud to be associated with and that represent the best qualities of our business.”

As part of the gift to those organizations, Berlanti has requested the money “be earmarked for support staff and below-the-line workers” as he also issues a call to action to those fortunate enough to give what they can to support the ECF and MPTF.

Berlanti offered details of his new financial commitments in a letter sent to staffers and obtained by The Hollywood Reporter. He begins by acknowledging a bit of déjà vu because he sent a similar letter during the COVID-19 pandemic, a time that saw Berlanti offer $1 million to those who were out of work due to production shutdowns at that time.

“I never thought that within three years I would have to write a note of a similar nature, but as the WGA strike stretches into the fourth month, and with SAG joining the picket lines in July, once again I wanted to reach out and offer as much immediate help as we can,” writes Berlanti. “As I said during the pandemic, I realize not knowing when your job might return creates a significant financial and emotional hardship for many. Also, I know many of our coworkers have barely caught their financial breath since that time. It is very important to me, and everyone at Berlanti Productions, that we are doing all that we can to help you during this moment.”

News of Berlanti’s donations comes on the heels of a similar $500,000 strike relief fund created by Ryan Murphy to support those who have worked on his company’s shows. And it comes during a week that saw reports surface that Berlanti’s overall deal with Warner Bros. Television Group has been suspended amid the ongoing strikes. Among those in the same boat as Berlanti are J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot, Chuck Lorre, Bill Lawrence, John Wells and Mindy Kaling.

Edited by tv echo

Katherine McNamara Signs With Independent Artist Group
By Denise Petski   September 8, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/09/katherine-mcnamara-independent-artist-group-shadowhunters-1235540761/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Shadowhunters alumna Katherine McNamara has signed with Independent Artist Group for representation. 

McNamara is maybe best known for her starring role as Clary Fray on all three seasons of Freeform’s Shadowhunters, based on the bestselling The Mortal Instruments novels. She most recently starred as the title character of Abby Walker in CW’s Walker: Independence and in Charlie Day’s directorial debut film Fool’s Paradise starring Day, Ken Jeong, Kate Beckinsale and Adrien Brody.

McNamara also starred in the CW’s Arrow as Mia Smoak Queen (aka Blackstar/ Green Arrow). She was recently seen in Paramount+ miniseries The Stand, opposite James Marsden, Whoopi Goldberg and Alexander Skarsgaard, as well as the independent feature Finding You opposite Vanessa Redgrave. She originated the role of Sonya in the second Maze Runner film The Scorch Trials, and she reprised the role in Maze Runner: The Death Cure alongside Dylan O’Brien and Kaya Scodelario for 20th Century Fox. She also starred in and executive produced the independent film Untitled Horror Movie, which was shot entirely during the Covid lockdown with writing, pre-production and the filming process taking place remotely, Pic also starred Kat Penn, Claire Holt and Aisha Tyler.

Edited by tv echo

From Sep. 2...

Stephen Amell Live Q&A Panel at Galaxycon Austin 2023
Tales From The Collection: Autographs & Fan Mail   Sep 10, 2023

Google's English translation of Portuguese summary by @marabrazil:

ENGLISH: Stephen comments that they arrived at Austin's house, which is on the edge of a lake.  He talks about Colin Donnell's new movie (The Shark is Broken).  If I were to break a record, I would like it to be the father who makes the best lunches of the year.  Stephen is a fan of Taylor Swift and is going to see one of the shows she is doing.  To keep fit, Stephen suggests walking, running, swimming, and even cleaning the house. And eat healthy things.  The ice tub in the morning is great. Stephen enjoys watching sports. Baseball, in particular, is relaxing. He also enjoys watching classic movies with Mavi.  Favorite cities: Boston, Manhattan, London, Sydney, the Maldives, Amsterdam (he comments that he swam in the canal), New Orleans, where he married.  What does he collect? Someone yells, "socks," and he asks, "Is my mom here? Who said that?" ... The fan introduces herself and he calls her an honorary mother. "Those socks are Cass's"... No, he collects travel memorabilia and photos and things from his children.  Stephen says he was recently on a jet ski on the lake, leaned over to the quiet part and took off his life jacket for a moment. Immediately the lake police appeared and were catching his eye when they suddenly recognized him. "Stephen, tell us that..." And he said to them, "You have failed this city!"  Days later he was with too many people on the jet ski and the same cops showed up and asked for the same thing... :)  Mavi knows how to drive the jet ski, but since she's only 9 years old, she can't (but he leaves when he's with her).  If he were to offer us dinner, it would be chicken in the beer. Because Cass loves to cook and is great, he has atrophied his skills in the kitchen. When Cass leaves and he cooks, Mavi is happy because she is going to eat pasta. Stephen can't eat mashed potatoes. He doesn't know why.  Childhood cartoons: Inspector Gaget, Animaniacs, Pink and the Brain, He-Man.  If I were to go back in time, it would be the '60s in Los Angeles, for just one hour.  Stephen likes series finales. He cites Ted Lasso and Game of Thrones.  He'd love to face Josh Segarra in the ring, says he'd spank him, like the Archer against Prometheus. Bowen will enjoy sports, he's already showing signs of that. Stephen will love showing his son old wrestling. Stephen doesn't like to play sports in the water, a turtle bit his nipple recently. Stephen would like to know how to speak all the languages, he travels a lot.  He doesn't know what socks are for each finger, he finds it interesting. If I were to go in doing the salmon ladder, it would be easy. Stephen appreciates the welcome, this is the first #galaxycon in Austin and wishes it would grow and he would come back again and again.
#StephenAmell #GalaxyConAustin

From EBR's Instagram on Sep. 2 and 9...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwskQKkLQ5e/ 

emilybett overdue thank yous pt 1…

I turned 32 this past July, an age my childhood self glazed over assuming it uneventful. I was generously celebrated in Kentucky by a crew of people who I have dedicated an entire journal to since meeting them in May. Normally the spines of my notebooks are dated by year when completed, this one also importantly states the season and place. My experience with these impactful humans, their expertise, and love for storytelling was nothing short of transformational. I’m long past due to reiterate my thank yous to them, my NuLu neighbourhood cat Kermit and to the character who honoured me with her life.
Thank you.
More merci’s to come, until then
Hello September meet diary Fall 2023. Dear Diary…

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw-oqZrpUwP/ 

emilybett overdue thank yous pt 2…

When I returned home to BC late into a Pacific Northerners summer I tried to pack in the most fun one could possibly have in the ocean (thank you), with the friends who touch my heart from far away (thank you), crewed for a Death Race Champ (thanks Champ), and spread the ashes of two of the people who made me who I am (thankyouthankyouthankyouboth).

I stumbled the treacherous scenic route back to myself by hugging my mom more times than I can count, eating ocean gifts and unpacking the whirlwind of art with my longest mentor and friend. I’ve recently been admiring the miracle of a blade of grass and recognizing the magic of all the little helpers I met along the way. All folks under the age of 8 and 4 feet who, though strangers, sensed my imagination was on sleep and took it upon themselves to converse it back awake.
To the girl in the campsite bathroom who told me she was with her “friends” who were most definitely her parents, thank you. The young one french kissing an ice cream who told me all dogs are zombies, thank you. And to the young boy on his tricycle who taught Ri and I how to open a garbage can with his fists, thank you.
These aren’t even close to the amount of thanks needed but Meta has a cap on characters. I however do not. ||:Thankyou:||

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Includes script pages for the scene in the pilot (1x01) where Oliver frees himself from being tied to a chair and kills the kidnappers while Tommy is unconscious...

TALKING ABOUT TALKING -- AGAIN!
LegalDispatch 0.74

MARC GUGGENHEIM    SEP 15, 2023
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/talking-about-talking-again 

On Twitter X, Celline de Lima asked:

Do you have any techniques or anything like that for writing fight scenes?

Thanks for the question, Celline. I’m not sure if I have any “techniques” per se, but I do have some personal opinions about what makes for a strong action scene in a script. (And after 8 years of Arrow, I’m assuming that you mean action sequences with two or more people fighting as opposed to two or more people having an argument. If I’m in error here, I’ll fix in next week’s newsletter!)

First, fighting scenes are like any other scenes in a script: They need to be specific and original. The latter — original — can be a little hard when it comes to fighting/combat/action. Because we’ve seen so much and so many in television and movies over the years, it’s tempting to want to just write: “They fight.” But, like any scene, even a prosaic one is still an opportunity for originality. Is there a way to choreograph/depict the fight in a way we haven’t seen before? (See, e.g., Everything Everywhere All At Once) Consider the way they’re fighting, what they’re fighting with, etc. Even the setting/locale of the fight is an opportunity for originality.

Second, a fight scene has its own structure — a beginning, middle, and end with twists and reversals — like any good story or script.

Third, fight scenes are where I really like to see the writer direct on the page. If the fight scene is intended to be bloody and visceral, tell us so. If it’s supposed to be quick, with lots of little moments, write the stage direction that way.

I tend to use a very Tony Gilroy-esque style for fight and action sequences, where I make liberal use of double dashes (--) to create the impression of a rapid cutting pattern in the final edit. It also allows for me to make little asides about how one or more of the combatants is feeling/reacting. Here’s an example from the Arrow pilot:

4b999e0e-6706-46b5-89c7-bee9fd771a29_158

9c7029e6-dd47-4112-80fe-5f75ac5142d1_158

ce79c1db-9f5b-4fef-827a-1aaf0b426973_158

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Portion of Arrowverse panel (with Katherine McNamara, Willa Holland, Carlos Valdes and Tom Cavanagh) at Dragon Con on Sep. 2, 2023 - I transcribed some of the comments below...

ARROWVERSE Cast Panel Highlights – Dragon Con 2023
Fandom Spotlite    Sep 15, 2023

-- Q: "What's a Character Archetype You've Always Wanted to Play?"
KM: "Serial killer."
WH: "I'll be the killed. You know, you kill me... Or hunted. Hunted, yeah."
CV: "I'd like to be the red herring that everybody's like, oh, that guy's the killer. But then it turns out, it was not me... It was Willa."
WH: "Wait. I did it to myself? Oh, no."
CV: "I don't know. It makes a kind of sense to me, you know."
WH: "After the elevator, yeah."
TC: "If you're going to be the red herring, you just want it to be - you want people to be convinced that it's you, which is not an easy thing to do, uh, on stage or on film, because everybody's like, oh, they want us to think it's Carlos, but it's not - it's clearly not Carlos. ... I think that you as the red herring would be a marvelous red herring."
CV: "Thank you."

-- Q: "Is There Any Acting Teacher or Style You Prefer?"
TC: "I'll go first, only because, um, uh, you know, as - when you - I don't - I'm sure there's a number of prospective actors or maybe, uh, actors in the - in the crowd. And so, you know, like there's - especially, uh, at a young age, you're like, oh, I gotta follow the deconstruction school, I gotta follow the - the Brando school, I gotta follow all these different schools, and, um, it weighs on you. You think, oh, I should - I should do this method. I should be a method actor. I should do all those kind of things. What's interesting is, it takes a while to realize you are the actor that you are and it took me, uh - it probably took you guys no time at all - but it took me years to understand that you take, um - when you mentioned styles - you take the style that works for you. And a quick example of that - um, at a very young age, I did a television series called Jake and the Kid on the Prairies and, um, I had to marry the leading lady at one point and so I - and then she says, 'no,' at the very end of the ceremony, um, which, I don't know what the hell she's thinking... And so I tried to get all emotional because it was going to be an emotional moment and I - you know, I prepped and I, like, I had listened to music and I did all those kind of, uh, preparatory things... Um, I was amazing on her coverage and on the rehearsal. I was incredible. And then on my coverage, I was awful. I was just trying so hard and the acting bell was going off... It was just terrible. And I learned... you know, you learned to trust and listen. And so, I think I've improved at that. Uh, listening is the thing I write on top of all my scripts, because you can know all the lines and then you just really listen. It'll provoke a genuine emotion. The scenes that I've done so with - with these people, when you're surrounded by real talent, real talent is, um, like a trust jar. You know they're going to be good. And all you need to do is, once you've got the lines out and stuff, you're just going to listen. You're just going to listen. And it sounds so easy and it's really, really hard. But when you're surrounded by this kind of talent, you just listen and your - whatever comes out of you will be genuine and it'll be real. Um, that's a really long- winded answer to a very short question. My apologies."

-- Q: "What Inspired You to Become an Actor?"
WH: "My mom said that it was watching Whitney Houston in Body Double. She said that when I was a kid, I used to like stand directly in front of the TV and just like scream that I needed to do that or be heard. And so they - that was that."
KM: "I ended up being an actor quite accidentally. Um, I wanted to be an economist... Yeah, I was a huge math nerd and I loved economics and I wanted to go into developmental economics as a kid... I've been balancing my parents' checkbook since age 7. It's great fun. Because I wanted to for fun. I don't know. Um, but I was also a dancer and I ran into a family friend who was directing a community theater show, needed a dancer, and I was the kid who would try anything and I fell in love with it. I walked on stage for the first time on opening night and had one of the biggest moments of clarity of my life and have wanted to do nothing but tell stories ever since."
WH: "I just realized I said 'Body Double' and I meant Bodyguard... because Body Double is a totally different movie."

-- Q: "If You Had the Opportunity To Go To Space, Would You?"
WH: "No."
KM: "Uh, uh."
CV: "Nope."
WH: "No, thank you. I'm good."
KM: "I've no desire."
CV: "I'm perfectly fine in the place I was born."
WH: "We've already messed up here. Do we really need to mess up there, too?"
KM: "I'm fine on this planet. I'm good. I'll leave that to other folks. What about you, Tom?"
TC: "I don't know how much advancement is coming. But I worry that this is being televised. Because I feel like there might be an opportunity and we have to go and they'll be like, I'm sorry, Kat, Willa, um, Los, you guys all said, no... These three seats are taken. And I'm kind of like, you know, what's out there? Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-wise, I'm kind of like, he's holding his towel, he just gets swept up, off he goes. I'm kind of like, what an adventure. So I'm gonna - I'm gonna hedge my bets and say, if the circumstances are tremendous, I'll go to space."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

Revisiting Arrow’s ‘Mystery Grave’ Season — And Everything Else It Had Going On
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   OCTOBER 1, 2023
https://tvline.com/recaps/arrow-season-4-revisited-mystery-grave-laurel-dies-1235052624/ 

It was eight years ago this week that Arrow kicked off what would be known as its “Mystery Grave” season, seeing as the opener ended with a “SIX MONTHS LATER” flash-forward that saw Barry Allen arrive late for the funeral of someone clearly close to Oliver Queen.
“We started off this year with the promise of a death,” Guggenheim, who co-wrote the episode “Eleven Fifty-Nine” with future Legends of Tomorrow boss Keto Shimizu, said at the time, “and when we worked our way through our various creative choices, we realized that the thing that will give us the most pop going into the end of the season, into next season, unfortunately would be” the death of Laurel, played by original cast member Katie Cassidy.

Guggenheim at the time said he knew that Cassidy/Laurel/Black Canary fans would be disappointed by the choice, “But at the end of the day, we have to tell the story we’re telling, and we did it in spite of what we imagine will be a rather loud response.”
Guggenheim, in the aforementioned “Canaryversary” blog post, revisited that controversial Season 4 decision, claiming that at the time “there were still a lot of cooks in the kitchen and very few decisions were made by a single person…. This is true for the decision to kill Laurel.”
Guggenheim also reminded folks that, when all was said and done, Cassidy was brought back — not just for an imminent appearance on The Flash as Earth-2’s Black Siren, but ultimately in a major way, especially during what would be Arrow‘s farewell run. She even was set to co-star in the prospective, Canaries-centric Arrow spinoff!

“We were already in the process of [writing Katie back in] when we got a phone call from then-CW President Mark Pedowitz, who said, ‘So when are you bringing Black Siren back?'” blogged Guggenheim. “Of course, our response was, ‘We’re already on it,’ because we were.”

Edited by tv echo

The 10 Best Background TV Characters Who Became Regulars, According to Reddit
BY ALLISON ABRAHAM     SEP 24, 2023
https://collider.com/best-background-tv-characters-became-regulars-reddit/ 

10 Felicity Smoak on 'Arrow' (2012-2020) 
Based on characters from DC Comics, Arrow followed the story of Oliver Queen and his vigilante persona of the Green Arrow and kicked off several DC shows known as the Arrowverse. For most of the show, Oliver had tech genius Felicity by his side as a helper to heroes and his romantic partner later on.

Felicity is the perfect example of a small character that made it big. Reddit user kamalaophelia simply states, "Felicity Smoak in Arrow. From one-off background character to female lead." Indeed, actress Emily Bett Rickards was initially only hired as a one-episode guest star but received such a positive response from the showrunners that they kept bringing her back until, eventually, she was a main character.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Former Arrow EP Andrew Kreisberg is in the news again...

Disgraced Warner Bros. Producer Arrested for “Forcible Touching” at Bar Mitzvah
BY MAUREEN RYAN   OCTOBER 3, 2023
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/10/disgraced-warner-bros-producer-arrested-for-forcible-touching-at-bar-mitzvah 

Vanity Fair has now learned that in March of this year, Kreisberg was arrested and charged with forcible touching, following an alleged incident at a bar mitzvah in Westchester County, New York.

The bar mitzvah in question took place in Pleasantville, New York in May 2022.

According to documents from New York state’s judicial and criminal justice systems, a woman made a statement to police, saying that she had been eating and enjoying the party while standing at a high-top table “facing the dance floor.” She knew Kreisberg, she said, because she was friends with his wife. She continued: “Andrew Kreisberg… approached me at the table. While we are standing at the table, Andrew gets behind me and starts putting his hands all over my arms and back. He then slid his hands around my waist, grabbed my waist firmly, and thrust his fully erect penis into my buttocks twice. It all happened so fast that I wasn’t sure what exactly was going on until I felt Andrew shove his fully erect penis into my buttocks. When I realized what was going on, I screamed, ‘What the fuck are you doing? Get the fuck away from me.’ Then I went to the bathroom.”

Another individual at the party—who told police she learned about the alleged incident from the woman the following day—said in a supporting statement that the woman was “crying” and an “emotional wreck”: “I’ve known [name redacted] my whole life and I could tell she was struggling with what she was” describing.
Kreisberg was charged with misdemeanor forcible touching. According to the New York penal code, “a person is guilty of forcible touching when such person intentionally, and for no legitimate purpose, forcibly touches the sexual or other intimate parts of another person for the purpose of degrading or abusing such a person; or for the purpose of gratifying the actor’s sexual desire.”

In response to questions from Vanity Fair, Kreisberg’s legal team sent a statement emphatically maintaining that Kreisberg is innocent.

According to police documents, this past February, before he was charged, one of his lawyers told a Pleasantville detective that “there is evidence that proves that [name redacted] is making up this story and in fact it never happened at all.” Around that time, the detective’s notes reflect that he had received “numerous” emails from members of Kreisberg’s legal team containing photos, texts, and videos, including material showing the woman “having a good time on the dance floor after the incident.” On March 9, according to the police file, the detective informed Kreisberg’s attorney Stacey Richman that the material “did not indicate that Kreisberg was innocent and that [name redacted] had made up the whole encounter.”

Kreisberg voluntarily surrendered to the police on March 23. He posted bond and was arraigned that day, then released about two hours after turning himself in.

In the statement to Vanity Fair, the full text of which can be found at the end of this story, his lawyer Stacey Richman writes, “Mr. Kreisberg remains a very talented creative person. He is misunderstood for being a neurodivergent individual who is socially awkward. Your article will be another event of the ableist bullying of people who are neurodivergent as they are misperceived.”

At a court appearance on August 8, a judge in Pleasantville Village Court granted an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal. Assuming that Kreisberg continues to comply with conditions set by the court—which include the psychiatric therapy that Richman told the judge is “nothing in particular to this matter” because it is “something prior he was already doing”—the charge will be dismissed and the record sealed in February. The case remains open, and the DA’s office told me that if complications arise before then “the case will be reevaluated.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Wow - MG: "I can say without equivocation that Kreisberg is easily the worst person I’ve ever had the misfortune of working with..."

HUMANDIVERGENT
LegalDispatch 0.77

MARC GUGGENHEIM     OCT 6, 2023
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/humandivergent 

I rarely remark publicly about Arrow co-creator, Andrew Kreisberg. (If Kreisberg is unfamiliar to you, a good primer can be found here.) The reason for this is twofold. First, commenting on Kreisberg — or even being perceived as doing so — has a tendency to bring out the Twitter trolls, so I’ve learned to remain silent. More importantly, though, talking about him dredges up memories of an experience I’d just as soon forget. (TLDR: While working with Kreisberg, I had to up my medication and go to therapy twice a week — one session with a psychologist, the other with a psychiatrist — in order to deal with depression and suicidal ideation.)

However, something was reported on earlier this week that made my blood boil to such scalding levels that I can’t let it pass without comment.

The full article in Vanity Fair can be found here, but this is the short version: In May 2022, Kreisberg attended a bar mitzvah where, according to court records, he approached a friend of his wife’s from behind, “grabbed [their] waist firmly, and thrust his fully erect penis into [their] buttocks twice.” The individual filed criminal charges.
Kreisberg’s attorney responded with a statement to Vanity Fair which said, in part, that Kreisberg “is misunderstood for being a neurodivergent individual who is socially awkward. Your article will be another event of the ableist bullying of people who are neurodivergent as they are misperceived.”
I worked with Kreisberg on Eli Stone from 2008 to 2009. I then worked with him on Arrow from 2012 to 2017, when he was fired for being physically and verbally inappropriate in the workplace. Apart from comics, the two fields I’ve worked in are the entertainment industry and law, neither of which is renowned for their quality of human being. But I can say without equivocation that Kreisberg is easily the worst person I’ve ever had the misfortune of working with.

I can also say with the same ironclad certainty that Kreisberg is neither neurodivergent nor socially awkward. A simple YouTube search will surface dozens of video interviews that clearly make that point.

No, what Kreisberg is — simply put — is an asshole and a bully. And the idea that he would falsely label himself as neurodivergent in an apparent attempt to cloak himself in some perversion of victimhood is offensive in the extreme — particularly to those who truly are neurodivergent and for those who truly are victims.

Bullies are always the first ones to claim that they’ve been bullied. Kreisberg is just repeating that same pathetic cycle.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

WH's new movie - in theaters and on demand Nov. 10, 2023...

The Dirty South | Official Trailer - Starring Dermot Mulroney, Willa Holland & Shane West
Cineverse    Oct 4, 2023

Sue Parker (Willa Holland) finds herself in a desperate battle to save her family’s struggling business, which is on the brink of collapse due to her father’s neglect. When a handsome drifter (Shane West) comes into town she sees him as the only chance to prevent their bar from falling into the hands of a ruthless local tycoon (Dermot Mulroney). What starts as a simple plan to save her family, quickly spirals into larceny, lawlessness and deadly consequences.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Video snippet of Arrow panel (SA, PB, CH) at Comic Con Scotland on Oct. 7...

(noorM7296)

Also, video of KM panel at German Hunters Con 2023 on Oct. 1...

(Avern78)

Edited by tv echo

TV's 14 most fascinating women in STEM
By Cindy White    Published Yesterday
https://www.avclub.com/most-fascinating-tv-women-in-stem-1850901140 

... We think fictional characters can be just as inspirational as real ones (see: the Scully Effect), so in that spirit, here in chronological order are our favorite television scientists, criminologists, tinkerers, hackers, and tech heroes, who also happen to be fascinating women.

https://www.avclub.com/most-fascinating-tv-women-in-stem-1850901140/slides/7

Felicity Smoak, Arrow (2012-2020)
Before she met Oliver Queen, Felicity Smoak was just another IT girl wasting her genius in the bowels of Queen Consolidated. Then the Green Arrow turned to her for help in a moment of need, and the rest is history. Emily Bett Rickards was only supposed to appear as a guest star in a single season-one episode of Arrow, but she quickly stood out as an asset to the show and eventually became a series regular. Felicity’s wild ride as a key member of Team Arrow included a cover position as Oliver’s executive assistant and a promotion to the role of CEO, while also using her considerable technical skills to help protect Starling City (a.k.a. Star City). Though she was prone to ramble, often making inappropriate comments she instantly regretted, Felicity was well respected and loved by her peers, especially Oliver, with whom she shared a tumultuous romance that culminated in their marriage and the birth of their daughter, Mia.

Dana Scully, The X-Files (1993-2018)
Winifred “Fred” Burkle, Angel (2001-2004)
Abby Sciuto, NCIS (2003-2018)
Temperance “Bones” Brennan, Bones (2005-2017)
Astrid Farnsworth, Fringe (2008-2013)
Felicity Smoak, Arrow (2012-2020)
Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black (2013-2017)
Jemma Simmons, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013-2020)
Cameron Howe, Halt And Catch Fire (2014-2017)
Caitlin Snow, The Flash (2014-2023)
Ella Lopez, Lucifer (2016-2021)
Aleida Rosales, For All Mankind (2019-)
Poppy Li, Mythic Quest (2020-)
Juliette Nichols, Silo (2023-)

Edited by tv echo

From Oct. 7 in Scotland...

Stephen Amell, Paul Blackthorne & Colton Haynes | Full Q&A | Comic-Con Scotland 2023
Monopoly Events   Oct 15, 2023

Crystal Reed, Holland Roden & Colton Haynes | Full Q&A | Comic-Con Scotland 2023
Monopoly Events   Oct 16, 2023

PUBLIC COMMENT
LegalDispatch 0.78

MARC GUGGENHEIM     OCT 20, 2023
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/public-comment 

New subscriber Chris Baldit wrote in with some questions about Arrow. Chris’ questions and my responses follow below:

I know some series lead actors will become “Executive Producer” by the final few years of a series, why not Stephen Amell?

It’s very common that in the event a series is successful or long-lived — and Arrow was both — that many of the series regulars will renegotiate their deals, in some cases several times over the life of the show. For obvious reasons, I’m not going to go into the specifics of Stephen’s various negotiations. However, I’ll make one general observation: Some actors begin a project with an EP credit because they played a crucial role (no pun intended) in the development of the series. However, when an actor becomes an EP later, during the run of the show, it’s usually just a “vanity credit,” and one often bestowed by the series in lieu of an actual raise.

Were the curved symbols on the side of the Arrow hood in later years meant as tribute to the Batman, as this was the closest to a kick-ass live-action Batman show we will ever get?

Well, on the Batman front, I believe in never saying never. As for the curves on the hood in later years, I believe that was just a design choice meant to “break up” what would have been the otherwise-solid form of the hood. For my money, they do their job quite effectively and the hood would have been far less visually interesting without.

Were there ever plans to have Oliver meet his father from Earth-2, who survived the shipwreck and became the Hood?

I can’t imagine that wasn’t something we explored at one point or another but, unfortunately, I no longer remember at this point. Sorry!
Maybe one day you might consider writing a book detailing the behind the scenes story of the Arrowverse. If so, don't wait too long, please. Memory can be a tricky thing.

It certainly can. However, I’m generally of the opinion that such behind-the-scenes books — and I’m a big fan of the genre — are best done by an objective third party. That said, I would be more than happy to participate if someone were to launch such a project. I really hope they do.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Videos of SA's panels from Belgium last weekend (Saturday and Sunday) - still subject to strike restrictions...

Q&A Stephen Amell FACTS 2023 saturday
Live Q&A panels   posted Oct 23, 2023

Q&A Stephen Amell FACTS 2023 sunday
Live Q&A panels   posted Oct 24, 2023

Edited by tv echo

From MCM Comic Con London on Oct. 27...

Tom Cruise or Jesse Plemons? Arrow's Stephen Amell explains his actor dichotomy
Graeme McMillan Staff Writer   Oct. 28, 2023
https://www.thepopverse.com/tom-cruise-or-jesse-plemons-arrows-stephen-amell-explains-his-actor-dichotomy

Asked if he’d have any interest in theatrical work in the future, Amell said, “I do have interest in doing it in the future. Seeing my buddy Colin in his play has galvanized that in me. I’d love to do Broadway or the West End.”
These days, he said, there are two different types of careers he considers in terms of actors, describing it as thinking, “there’s Tom Cruise and there’s Jesse Plemons. The former, he said was a movie star — 'He’s Tom Cruise, and he’s Tom Cruise all the time' — while the latter will disappear for months at a time, and then return having entirely immersed himself in the role.

Of course, there’s more to his career than just acting; there’s also producing, a move that Amell explained by saying, “My nature when I’m on a film set [is that] I’m not controlling, but I do like to be in control. I like to know everything that’s going on. I don’t just focus on myself, I focus on everyone’s stuff. If there’s one thing that doesn’t work on a script, it’s like a loose thread on a knitted sweater.” Producing, he said, “just seemed like a natural thing.”

“If I’m going to do any sort of project, I either want to be a passenger, or I want to have the car keys,” he reasoned. “I don’t want to ride shotgun sporadically giving directions. But if I’m in a Martin Scorcese film, you know, put me in the trunk.”

Stephen Amell revisits Arrow and the actor in-jokes for Tom Hardy's Bane, the movie Seven, and more
Graeme McMillan Staff Writer    Oct. 28, 2023
https://www.thepopverse.com/arrow-stephen-amell-bane-seven-mcm-comic-con-october-2023 

Of all the questions one might have expected a fan to ask Stephen Amell at a convention appearance, the screamed phrase 'What’s in the box?!?' is, let’s be honest, pretty far down the list of possibilities. And yet, that’s exactly what happened at MCM London on Friday afternoon — and, perhaps even more surprisingly, Amell knew exactly what the question was actually about.

After checking that the fan asking the question was not his former Arrow co-star David Ramsey — to be fair, the light was not in Amell’s favor, but the questioner was actually someone who identified themselves as Sam — the actor explained, “Me and David Ramsey, we’d always had an inside joke, one year it was the Bane voice.”

Amell then proceeded to do a pretty spectacular version of Tom Hardy’s Bane voice, suggesting that he missed his calling as an exceptionally niche impressionist. As it turned out, that wasn’t the only think they’d get up to — nor the only movie the in-jokes would reference. “We’d do ‘what’s in the box’ [from Seven],” he continued, “just yell ‘What’s in the box?’”

The in jokes were, he explained, the “only way to make that show” — meaning Arrow, something that he couldn’t name due to the ongoing actor’s strike. Because each script was somewhere in the region of 52 pages, with at least one action sequence that would take a long time to shoot, that meant more intimate scenes, often featuring Amell and Ramsey in the Arrowcave, would be filmed in marathon sessions to try and maintain an 8-day shoot for each episode. On those days, they’d find ways to entertain themselves to maintain their sanity. Hence, “what’s in the box?”

Edited by tv echo

Video of EBR panel at GalaxyCon Austin on September 2...

-- Probably due to the then ongoing SAG-AFTRA actors’ strike, EBR mostly talked about personal stuff, acting in general, auditioning, and other projects (like her Reborning play, hosting Paranormal Solutions, and appearing in the Nickelback music video). She was also asked about giving back to the Vancouver Film School. However, she did mention Felicity both directly and indirectly in response to two questions.

-- When asked about winning two MTV Fandom Awards and what she did with the actual trophies, EBR: "I only ever received one... I don't know what happened to the second one, I never saw it... But the one that I got, it ended up - we were working - Steve and I were working - (Mod interrupted to explain to the audience that this fandom award was for "Best Ship" and that it was won with Stephen Amell) ... But this thing showed up in our trailer and it's in a box, like a shoe box, and I thought like, oh, shoes, that I didn't order. Fantastic. From whom? I'm not sure. The thing weighs probably like 35 pounds, 40 pounds. So when you're expecting to pick up shoes - it's like when you take a sip of Coca-Cola and you thought it was going to be iced tea, like, it's shocking to the nervous system... Like, it's a weapon... It's a black stand with like a gold head on the top... It's just heavy. It's got some heft to it. Anyway, that's my story about it. (Mod asked where she keeps it) So, it's at my place. Um, it's on a bookcase. Yeah, it's on a bookcase. But when I lived alone, it was my sort of like - a single woman living alone, it's going to stay under the bed in case something happens, it's going to be my weapon. You know, be smart, ladies. Now they have like tiny pepper sprays and stuff. When I was 20, I don't even think that was something in our repertoire. Not that I find - like, I would be terrified to use one of those."

-- When asked if meeting fans at comic cons who want to talk about her "character" influenced her previous thoughts about her character and what it might mean to other people, EBR: "I mean, yes, yes, of course. But I think, where my brain went was, when you come up to me and talk to me about Felicity, like, I feel like - like my best friend has arisen, kind of like - I don't want to say like from the dead, but she's like alive again. You know, and like there's something in there that - her ability to live on is amazing. There's something to be said about that and the writers - like, you know, every time you - anybody asked to write a quote and put Felicity Smoak by it, I like - I want to put like Beth Schwartz, who was like one of our main writers. And that kind of thing because I was like, they wrote these lines for this woman, so I could say them, so that she could live forever... A team of people - I mean, a village of people get to, you know, make this character... I think it's so special and I'm just always so gracious that you guys bring her back to life for me."

Emily Bett Rickards Q&A - GalaxyCon Austin 2023
GalaxyCon    Oct 30, 2023

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

The Dirty South | Exclusive Clip | Shane West, Willa Holland
Moviefone   Nov 2, 2023

Grant Gustin to star in 'Water for Elephants' on Broadway; initial casting set
Gillian Russo    Nov 3, 2023
https://www.newyorktheatreguide.com/theatre-news/news/grant-gustin-to-star-in-water-for-elephants-on-broadway-initial-casting-set 

Meet your circus performers! Water for Elephants on Broadway has set initial casting. The musical adaptation of Sara Gruen's bestselling book begins performances at the Imperial Theatre on February 24 ahead of a March 21 opening.

Grant Gustin, known for playing the title role in the CW show The Flash, will make his Broadway debut in the lead role of Jacob. The Water for Elephants Broadway cast also includes Isabelle McCalla as Marlena, Gregg Edelman as Mr. Jankowski, Paul Alexander Nolan as August, Stan Brown as Camel, Joe De Paul as Walter, Sara Gettelfinger as Barbara, and Wade McCollum as Wade.

Grant Gustin & Isabelle McCalla Perform “WILD” From WATER FOR ELEPHANTS
Water for Elephants the Musical    Nov 3, 2023

Edited by tv echo

Willa Holland on Noisy Neighbor, Bartending and THE DIRTY SOUTH
Rama's Screen   Nov 8, 2023

Matthew Yerby Talks THE DIRTY SOUTH, Casting Willa Holland, and Shooting In Natchitoches
Deepest Dream   Nov 9, 2023

John Barrowman on FAN EXPO San Francisco, possible Doctor Who return, Ncuti Gatwa, Torchwood, Arrow
Josh Wilding    Nov 17, 2023

-- On how he felt about being part of the Arrowverse/DC TV as Malcolm Merlyn (for 75+ episodes) and that era's legacy, John Barrowman: "Again, who knew? And when I was asked to do - to play Merlyn, it was - I was on the phone with Greg Berlanti and, uh, the rest of the production - you know, the production team were all there in the interview that I did with them. And they basically came to me and, you know, um, and said, uh, we - and I'm talking to all the producers, they were all on every - I don't want to miss out any names, so if we can keep it nameless - I was on a production call and they basically were telling me, they loved Doctor Who, they loved Captain Jack, they would like to bring me into the Arrowverse, would I be interested in playing this villain, who would be - uh, and I said to them, I said, how long will I be with you? And they said, you'll be there for a very long time. And Malcolm was the first character in the Arrowverse to then jump from show to show to show. And I was able to play Malcolm in different ways on different shows, which was a challenge, but also interesting, because on Legends of Tomorrow, he was - which was taken from my Captain Jack years where in Torchwood he was the leader, in Doctor Who he was a follower. So I was able to do that kind of thing. But the difference being, Malcolm was evil as sh*t, you know, and just didn't hold back... The big thing when I used to - when I was playing Malcolm, I always said to people, if he smiles at you, you're dead... So Malcolm would always keep it straight, straight lace, straight forward, everything da da da, but if he would put a smile on his face, you're going to die and that was it. But, um, Stephen Amell and I had a great relationship. And Stephen is a neighbor of mine here in Palm Springs and, uh, in fact, my husband Scott designed his house, and I'm the reason he moved here, uh, just because I - you know, telling him to get Vancouver winters, you know, come here when you're not filming. Uh, anyway, long story short, it was - I also am proud of the fan base and the fan family who came over from the Doctor Whovian world and the Torchwood world and followed me to give me a try as a new character, but then also fell in love with him. And that's - I don't know why they did. Josh, I'd love to have the formula of when I play a character that - that I don't know why they fall in love with him, as I do. I mean, you're talking about one of the most evil villains in the DC world and people are like, I love him but I hate him. And for me, that's the best comment. Ever. And particularly when... there are couples come up and talk to me and they're Malcolm Merlyn fans, and I'll say to one of them, uh, you know, if they're - if one person only says, yeah, I love him but I hate him, and I'll look at their partner and say, they like the bad guy. And that brings a big smile to everybody's face. Um, so yeah, I - I had no idea Malcolm was going to take off like that. And to be in so many episodes and to be part of that creative process to create that world, again, is just incredible, because, stemming from it, as did in Torchwood and Doctor Who, you know... my sister and I co-wrote the Malcolm Merlyn back story for DC, uh, The Dark Archer, which was incredible because now that is always in existence. ... That's why I say, they're life-changing and again would never turn my back on them... Going back to the beginning, that's why I love doing the conventions... Because of the fans, because of the fan family, because of that - that love, it's changed - it's changed who I am."

DC Panel - Wales Comic Con November 2023 - Matt Ryan, Brec Bassinger & Alex Garfin
Geektown   Nov 19, 2023

-- Matt Ryan: "You know what's funny... I always thought like, you know, from starting Constantine on his own television show on NBC and then, you know, him popping up in Arrow and then the one episode of Legends I did and then he was in Flash and he was in, you know, all the crossover stuff as well. But I always felt like - like John Constantine was introduced in 1985 on an episode - an issue, sorry, of Swamp Thing. And then in 1987 he got his first comic book run and became a huge, huge hit on the Vertigo series. And then he pops up in all these different comics. And all these different comics are different styles. So when they talked to me about doing Legends, I was like, this show's so wacky and out there - like, how does John Constantine fit in? And then I was like, well, it's like him popping up in another comic. So the DNA of the character is exactly the same and you keep one foot in that. But you do adapt to the style of the show a little bit. So Legends was a little bit lighter, whereas my Constantine was - was more kind of darker and grounded. But I felt like it was him popping up in another - on - in another comic book and another issue of another comic book, you know? And I think, with John, you could put him anywhere. ... You could drop him anywhere and he'd be - he'd be okay. And, you know, he'd adapt his style a little to the whatever that TV show or comic book would be. But the DNA of the character would always be the same. So I was always really interested in that, you know, after I started doing the animated stuff and interacting with characters that I didn't in the live action, like Deadman and Batman and Zatanna - we all wanted to see, you know, Zatanna in the show Constantine, you know... It was really, really fun. And I think that, yeah, you could drop him anywhere ... and I think that all of the characters in a way can - can do that to a certain degree, I think."

Edited by tv echo

Emily Bett Rickards is listed as playing Anja in a new film by Gilles de Maistre titled Le Dernier Jaguar - out Feb. 7, 2024....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16740144/?ref_=nm_flmg_unrel_1_act

Grown up in the Amazon rainforest, Autumn lives with Hope, the cute baby jaguar she adopted. However, a circumstance forces Autumn to return to New York. Autumn goes back into the jungle to save Hope from grave danger.

ETA:  Emily's other upcoming projects include starring roles in the following movies: Calamity Jane (completed, directed by Terry Miles, rumored to co-star SA as Wild Bill) and Queen of the Ring (in production, directed by Ash Avildsen, co-starring Josh Lucas).

Edited by tv echo