Type keyword(s) to search

Star City News

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Marc Guggenheim's new novel, In Any Lifetime, can now be pre-ordered at Amazon.com (release date: July 16, 2024)...

https://www.amazon.com/Any-Lifetime-Novel-Marc-Guggenheim/dp/166251803X/ref=sr_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.KG_KG2XOrxbxEMPlG2gqAg.DAvp975heDX4GssikcO3xUf-6L07_kTg0WBSf6ToWog&dib_tag=se&keywords=in+any+lifetime+by+marc+guggenheim&qid=1708182890&sr=8-1 

A devoted husband defies fate and risks everything to find the one universe where his beloved wife is still alive in this bold and thought-provoking novel.

Dr. Jonas Cullen has spent his career as a groundbreaking physicist defying the odds. But on the best night of his life-the night his wife, Amanda, tells him they’re finally having a baby-everything is taken away when a tragic car accident claims the lives of Amanda and their unborn child.

Gutted by pain, Jonas sets out to find a way to bring back Amanda-or rather, find a parallel universe in which she’s still alive. But that’s easier said than done. As Jonas comes to understand all too well, the universe favors certain outcomes…and Amanda’s death is one of them.

Guggenheim’s novel takes readers on a suspenseful journey, intercutting scenes of Jonas’s frantic, present-day search across multiple realities with glimpses from the past of his unfolding romance and eventual marriage. Will Jonas and Amanda reunite in some other world, or will fate succeed in taking her from him forever?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Kat McNamara Talks Air Force One Down, Training for the Role, Reuniting with James Bamford, & More
Pop Culturalist   Feb 19, 2024

Katherine McNamara talks Air Force One Down, Shadowhunters and much more!
Popternative   Feb 18, 2024

Katherine McNamara on being a badass in 'Air Force One Down'
The Mary Sue   Feb 22, 2024

Edited by tv echo

Grant Gustin talks making Broadway debut in ‘Water for Elephants’
TODAY   Feb 16, 2024

Meet Grant Gustin, Isabelle McCalla and the Fearless Cast of Broadway’s Water for Elephants
by Hayley Levitt • Feb 15, 2024
https://www.broadway.com/buzz/203784/meet-grant-gustin-isabelle-mccalla-and-the-fearless-cast-of-broadways-water-for-elephants/ 

Water for Elephants, the musical adaptation of Sara Gruen’s circus-inspired novel, is just about ready to begin its Broadway run at the Imperial Theatre. Beginning performances February 24, the show—scored by PigPen Theatre Co.—offers a mix of music, drama and acrobatics rarely attempted on a Broadway stage. The Broadway Show caught up with members of the cast and creative team to get a taste of the spectacle to come.

Stephen Amell and Robbie Amell's Code 8 panel at Fan Expo Vancouver on Feb. 17...

ROBBIE AMELL & STEPHEN AMELL (Code 8, Arrow, Heels, The Flash) - Fan Expo Vancouver 2024
Angelika Diana   Feb 20, 2024

(edited)

‘Suits: L.A.’: Josh McDermitt Joins Stephen Amell In NBC Pilot
By Nellie Andreeva   February 22, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/02/suits-l-a-josh-mcdermitt-stephen-amell-nbc-pilot-1235834530/ 

EXCLUSIVE: The Walking Dead alum Josh McDermitt is set as a lead opposite Stephen Amell in NBC drama pilot Suits L.A., a new extension of the Suits universe from Aaron Korsh, creator and writer of the original series. Production is scheduled to start in late March in Vancouver.
Fifteen years ago, Ted Black (Amell) joined forces with his old buddy, Stuart Lane (McDermitt), to build an L.A. law firm, Black Lane Law, hat specializes in criminal and entertainment law.

McDermitt’s Stuart Lane is described as being energetic, powerful, focused and self-absorbed.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

EBR is currently scheduled to join SA, DR and JB as guests at this con in Kentucky in March...

Lexington Comic & Toy Con, March 7-10, 2024 (KY)
Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Emily Bett Rickards and John Barrowman
http://lexingtoncomiccon.com/ 
https://www.facebook.com/lexingtoncomiccon/posts/pfbid037RiTJTccer6vGtT6BeA82Ee2JGPsxLz4HS2U1oTkcbRthK4bhQbtcnE9zSR5Gmucl 

Also, EBR is scheduled as a guest at these two cons in Australia in April...

Supanova Melbourne, April 6-7, 2024 (Australia)
Emily Bett Rickards
https://www.supanova.com.au/events/melbourne-2024/guests/ 

Supanova Gold Coast, April 13-14, 2024 (Australia)
Emily Bett Rickards
https://www.supanova.com.au/events/gold-coast-2024/guests/ 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

SA and RA have been doing the media rounds promoting Code 8: Part II, which is premiering on Netflix tomorrow...

CODE 8: PART II Interview! Robbie Amell & Stephen Amell talk growing up together, HEELS! Netflix
DC Film Girl   Feb 26, 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaeK02Q8Xzg

Robbie and Stephen Amell talk ‘Code 8 Part II’ | Your Morning
CTV Your Morning   Feb 26, 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRf_QMlcmUw

Robbie Amell Used Stephen Amell’s ID When He Was 15
LiveKellyandMark   Feb 26, 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weynJpqgpdQ

Robbie Amell and Stephen Amell Remember Their First Acting Gigs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzOXwwas_GI

Robbie Amell and Stephen Amell Talk "Code 8: Part II"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOIPQfC1jU

Robbie Amell and Stephen Amell on ‘Code 8: Part II’ | The Social
The Social CTV   Feb 26, 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1VJffm6hbk

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Green Arrow Actor Offers Some Blunt Words About James Gunn's DCU Casting
BY STEVEN THRASH   PUBLISHED 3 DAYS AGO
https://movieweb.com/green-arrow-stephen-amell-discusses-james-gunn-dcu-casting/ 

Green Arrow seldom misses when he takes aim, and neither does Stephen Amell when it comes to speaking bluntly about joining the DC Universe. The star of the immensely popular CW series, Arrow, had some strong words to offer about possibly reprising the role of the Emerald Archer. And the actor's cousin, Robbie, was also present when Stephen discussed James Gunn’s DCU casting. Stephen said in an exclusive interview with MovieWeb's Sal Cento:

"I don't know. I think it would be really helpful to maybe see like a frame of footage from one of the movies before I decide if I want to be a part of it. Because I loved playing Oliver Queen, and I don't feel like being in the cinematic universe would validate that character. You know, we did eight seasons, we did 170 episodes, and I wouldn't change a thing. So, you know, if he calls, great, if he doesn't, fine!"
Amell will soon return to the small screen, playing Ted Black in NBC’s highly anticipated Suits spin-off. Amell will star alongside Josh McDermitt from The Walking Dead in Suits: LA, and Amell described his character to us:

He's someone who is definitely not afraid to get his hands dirty.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Exclusive Interview: Tim Rozon Talks ‘Calamity Jane,’ His Love for Westerns, Bringing Authenticity to the Screen, and Working with This Dream Team
BY KEVIN    FEBRUARY 14, 2024
https://pop-culturalist.com/exclusive-interview-tim-rozon-talks-calamity-jane-his-love-for-westerns-bringing-authenticity-to-the-screen-and-working-with-this-dream-team/ 

PC: It’s the reason why you became an actor. Throughout your career, you’ve jumped back and forth between television and film so seamlessly. In TV, you’re learning more about your character as the series goes on whereas in film, you know where your character starts and ends. How different are those filming experiences and that character development process for you as the actor bringing this to life?
But in the movies, especially with Calamity, I relied on Terry [Miles] a lot to figure out what we were doing. But at the same time, Terry let us play a lot. Most of the time, I just worked off Emily. Emily is such an incredible actor, all the actors in this are. Priscilla [Faia], who plays Abigail, is incredible. I just worked off them to be honest. I tried to react to what they were doing because they gave me so much as actors. They had so much going on. Both those characters, Calamity and Abigail, were so interesting. I just reacted as you would. I was just so interested in everything they were doing. There is a difference between movies and TV for sure.
PC: It’s transformative. Every project that you work on, there’s always that one scene that hits audiences at their core. There’s that emotional moment where your character is opening up about his brush with death and the loss that he’s experienced in his life. As an actor, how did you create the space for yourself to tackle that scene in particular?
Tim: You really have the best questions. I’m really loving you right now because, oddly enough, that was the scene where, going back to what I was saying earlier, I just played off Emily. I know exactly what you’re talking about. We sat there, and I don’t know if it was totally scripted that way to be that vulnerable, but that’s how it felt in the moment and with the journey that we were on. Working with Emily as Calamity in that moment, I felt that was the time for him to be a little more vulnerable. When we ended, the director Terry Miles was like, “Guys, that’s not how I saw that going at all.” He was like, “I thought it was going to be faster and quippier.” I was like, “Oh, I’ll do it again.” He goes, “No, no, no. That’s the scene that needs to be there. It’s great because I saw something different. I came here and expected something different. That’s what it has to be.” That felt amazing because Terry is a hero of mine. I don’t know if people know this, but he’s also a famous writer. I’m a big fan of Rabbits and his lore. He’s great.

PC: It’s a signature of yours. You have to stop making me bawl in the projects that you do. You also shared on social media that this is one of your favorite sets to work on. What made it so special for you? How did that trust and safe space allow you to explore, play, and take risks?
Tim: That’s it. If you find a place where you feel safe and comfortable, same with life, same with your relationships and friendships, you’ve got to find those places where you can be yourself and feel safe to be that. That was one of those sets. Emily is an amazing number one. She’s so fun and prepared. I’m a real preparer. That’s why when we’re on set, we can play and have fun because I’m so ready. I have this saying, “Fail to prepare. Prepare to fail.” I know it’s cheesy, but it’s how I get through every production. I’m starting something in two weeks and I’ve already learned a lot of it. I’m ready, two weeks before even showing up. Emily was the same. I couldn’t believe it. If we had an action-oriented day without dialogue, we were working on the upcoming scenes. If it was a Monday, we were running Friday’s dialogue. She knew the script back to front, and so did I. It’s not always every time you show up and everybody’s like that. The rest of the cast was so friendly and nice. Everybody was playing. We were all just playing cowboys, having fun, shooting each other, fighting each other, running in the dirt, and actually getting dirty. It was fun to get in the dirt. Also, like I was saying, Emily and I got to ride the actual horses. We were on that carriage getting to do the stunts and be part of it. That’s what makes it magic. The crew was super fun. I loved it. It’s the way that it’s supposed to be.
PC: Yeah, I’m not a fan of Westerns and I loved this film. With it out now in select theaters and VOD, is there a scene that you’re excited for audiences to see? What do you hope they take away?
Tim: I mean, so much. Calamity Jane is such a legend. I hope there are a bunch of little girls that watch it. When you think of the Western genre, you think about John Wayne and Clint Eastwood doing it. Emily does such a great job of kicking ass and taking names. It’s very important and she’s so good. But everybody’s performances were so great. I can’t wait for people to see Abigail. She’s such trouble and so good. Let’s not forget Stephen Amell. He comes in and crushes Buffalo Bill. We didn’t have him long, but nobody forgot when he was there. He came in, crushed it, and knocked it out of the park. It’s super fun. You get an Arrow reunion with the two of them. If people are fans of that show, that’s so cool.

Exclusive: Tim Rozon Talks Taking on Calamity Jane Alongside Arrow's Emily Betts Rickards
BY GREG ARCHER   FEBRUARY 24, 2024
https://movieweb.com/exclusive-tim-rozon-calamity-jane-interview/ 

One of the best things about the production was working alongside Emily Bett Rickards, who played Felicity Smoak on Arrow—Rickards reunites with Arrow costar Stephen Amell here.

“I'll say this: I'm one of the most prepared actors that comes to a set,” Rozon shared. “Like, I know my entire script almost before showing up. I really do the work before, so does Emily. It's amazing. We were working on scenes a couple of days in advance. Even when we were sitting around a set, if we knew the scene we were about to film… we were just going over it, not really totally getting into it, but just going over it.

“We just got to play every day on set because we were so ready,” he added. “But I was super lucky on the movie. My first day I had scenes with Emily and Priscilla Faia [of You, Me, Her], who played Abigail. I got both their performances in the first day. It was some of the jail stuff. And I was like, ‘This movie's going to be amazing.’”

The actresses are dynamic in Calamity Jane, and Rozon noted it was because they were “giving so much… they were so nuanced and so interesting that I just reacted to what they were doing. It was so fun to do that as an actor because I was in the scene, but at the same time, I was thinking, ‘Wow, these guys are really cool.’”
He says audiences may be surprised by how much action the film holds as well as all the character dynamics. He and Rickards play well off each other.

“You put two people together who think they are totally different people. They think they have a version of who they think that person is and then they spend enough time together and they go through some trials and tribulations together, and maybe realize, ‘Okay, maybe this isn't who I thought you were.’ Maybe, you know, bad people do good things and good people do bad things and there's a difference. You know what I mean? Good people can make mistakes. It can happen. As long as there's redemption. You should be allowed to be redeemed, is what I'm saying. I think both of them redeem each other by the end of it, which is great. Because I don't think either one thinks they need redemption, but yet they do end up redeeming each other.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Joseph David-Jones will be playing the adult Jackie...

‘Michael’ Biopic Casts Its Jackson 5
By Valerie Complex   February 27, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/02/michael-biopic-casts-key-roles-jackson-five-1235840056/ 

Lionsgate and Universal Pictures International have announced the eight actors set to portray members of the Jackson 5 — Jermaine, Marlon, Tito and Jackie — at various stages of their lives in the Michael Jackson biopic Michael.

Jamal R. Henderson and Jayden Harville will play the respective older and younger versions of Jermaine Jackson, Tre Horton and Jaylen Lyndon Hunger will play Marlon, Rhyan Hill and Judah Edwards are Tito, and Joseph David-Jones and Nathaniel Logan McIntyre have been cast as Jackie.

Directed by Antoine Fuqua and written by John Logan, Michael will star Jaafar Jackson, the King of Pop’s nephew, in the titular role, with Juliano Krue Valdi as the younger version of Michael. The film is in production and set for a global release on April 18, 2025.

Edited by tv echo

From Megacon Orlando on Feb. 3...

Code 8 Panel Highlights | MEGACON Orlando 2024 | Stephen & Robbie Amell
FAN EXPO    Feb 29, 2024

(edited)

Q & A
LegalDispatch 0.91

MARC GUGGENHEIM   MAR 1, 2024
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/q-and-a 

Via Twitter, @LukeFlux 1 asked:

• Was there ever anything you wished to do in the Arrowverse that you never got to do, whether it be because of restrictions by WB, budget or other?

The short answer is, “Yes. A gajillion things.” The longer answer is more nuanced, however. There are a wide variety of ideas that didn’t move forward either because we knew we couldn’t afford them and/or because we knew that DC would never go for it. But those ideas are lost to the mists of time, in large part because, like I said, they never even went beyond a glimmer in someone’s eye.

I can’t speak for the other Arrowverse showrunners, but I considered myself fairly good at knowing, instinctively, what was affordable/unaffordable and what would or wouldn’t fly with our studio and network partners. Accordingly, I wouldn’t let those ill-fated ideas get very far down the road. Whenever possible, I try to avoid wasting time making beds in a burning house.

I know it’s not at the heart of your question, but your question really makes me think of those things that we did end up doing that were either more difficult or more expensive — or whatnot — than anticipated. For example, Nate’s steel effect on Legends of Tomorrow. Very expensive, particularly to do it properly, with all the reflections. (There’s a reason Colossus’ armor in Deadpool 2 has a matte, non-reflecting finish, is all I’ll say.)

And then there was the time that DC encouraged us to do the Suicide Squad on Arrow only to tell us in subsequent seasons that they needed to be taken off the board to make room for the Suicide Squad movie. (No sour grapes from me on this, however. We always approached things from the philosophy that all these characters were just “on loan” to us and were DC’s to do with as they pleased, including telling us to stop using them.)
In the comments, Chris Baldit had some things to say and asked a few questions. My responses are interlineated below:

• In that same vein, you had previously made a comment about the amazing Crisis [on Infinite Earths] crossover episodes that continues to intrigue me and I noticed no one else brought up. You mentioned some actors who were approached either could not appear due to scheduling conflicts or they wanted too much money. Without providing a reason, would you mind sharing the names of the actors who were approached but could not or would not do it? 

I fear that mentioning all of them would provide too much fodder for the writers of clickbait articles. That being said, we’d originally written Hour One (the Supergirl episode) to feature a cameo by Cameron Cuffe, who as playing Seg-El on Krypton. Cameron was delightful to deal with but we couldn’t align our shooting schedule with his.

I’ll also say that I didn’t even bother to approach Dean Cain to play Clark or Superman. It’s not because Dean doesn’t share my politics, however. In general, I don’t believe in making casting choices based on someone’s personal opinions. In the case of Superman, however, I just couldn’t wrap my brain around someone so virulently anti-immigrant playing a character like Clark who is, to me, the ultimate immigrant.

• Would you ever consider writing a western (film or novel)?

Funny you should ask! I’m pitching a western TV series in a few hours. Also, PROJECT ARTERY had some serious western elements in it.

• Although I read once that he had denied it, was Liam Neeson ever approached about reprising the role of Ra's al Ghul in Arrow? Was it ever considered?

This is going to sound like a cop-out, but that was almost 10 years ago and I don’t really remember. To the best of my recollection, we had discussed Liam doing one scene or one episode of Arrow. But we knew that we’d never be able to afford him for anything more than that. I don’t remember whether we’d even gotten as far as reaching out to his reps, but my guess is that we didn’t. The reason is that whenever we would make an offer to an actor of Liam’s calibre, we’d write a letter to them expressing our excitement/interest. I looked through my Season 3 files and couldn’t find such a letter. I did, however, find a couple little goodies which I’ll share here for fun:272c6e0a-9468-497d-988c-3d37262ec341_510

ff16b516-cf5e-4e07-9209-47bb3487f263_510

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

More about Stephen Amell's new show, Suits L.A....

Lex Scott Davis Says Suits: L.A. Starts Filming Soon, Teases Original Cast 'Maybe' Will Appear in Spinoff (Exclusive)
By Charna Flam and Nathan Vinson  March 8, 2024
https://people.com/lex-scott-davis-suits-spinoff-suits-la-8606185 

“There is a pilot script, and that's what we'll be filming in April,” Scott Davis revealed.

"Fingers crossed that the pilot gets a series order," she added. "But, I'm pretty excited. Pretty sure we'll get our series order, for sure."

The show follows Ted Black (Stephen Amell), a former federal prosecutor from New York who “has reinvented himself representing the most powerful clients in Los Angeles,” per the official logline.

Late last month, the 33-year-old actress was cast in the upcoming legal procedural drama as Erica Rollins, the "savvy and strong-willed rising star who works for Ted Black," per Deadline. The original series, which debuted on Netflix last June, set streaming records four years after its series finale.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

SEEING THE FUTURE
LegalDispatch 0.92

MARC GUGGENHEIM   MAR 8, 2024
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/seeing-the-future 

• Since you've cracked the door open for CRISIS questions, would you be willing to discuss how the SMALLVILLE Lex Luthor appearance would have gone had Michael Rosenbaum been willing? Was it planned to be basically just the same scene that Jon Cryer played with Tom Welling? Or would Rosenbaum's Lex have appeared elsewhere in the story?

Well, here’s the thing. By the time we’d engaged with Michael about appearing in Crisis — thanks in huge part to Stephen Amell’s efforts — we’d already shot the Smallville reunion scene in Hour 2. Nevertheless, I was eager to get Michael’s Lex into the story if I could, so my brain started working on options that could be fit into the episodes that we were still shooting.

I forget the story impetus for them, but I noodled with a version where Michael’s Lex would interact with Jon Cryer’s Lex, which I think would’ve been quite entertaining had it come to pass.

Craig Byrne:

• In retrospect, I think there would have been a way Crisis could have incorporated Dean Cain without actually having him in it. Or it’s just my fannish wishful thinking:
  • What if, in the Earth-75 sequence, the extra doubling for Superman had been wearing a Dean Cain costume and it was Teri Hatcher mourning him? That way. no credit can be given to that guy while at the same time, the show could have still been represented. Then again, maybe the budget was so high at that point, Teri Hatcher was not very affordable.

I totally love this idea. I know we’d discussed bringing Teri back to reprise her role as Lois. I forget, however, why this never went anywhere but, you’re probably right, it was likely lack of money on our part.

• Three I will ask about, though:
  • Was there any reason (such as, maybe the movie people) that Helen Slater couldn’t/didn't reprise Supergirl in Crisis? It seemed like it would have been a great opportunity to homage the comic, bonus with a red headband.

If there was a reason, Craig, I’ve unfortunately forgotten it. I think it was just a matter of us picking our spots and there was certainly a desire to bring back actors who hadn’t been seen on an Arrowverse show previously.

• The original press announcement for Erica Durance mentioned she was in “multiple chapters,” which technically there was, considering that she was Alura in Part 1. But was there any temptation to keep Smallville's Lois around for more than one scene?

Oh, there was absolutely a temptation for sure. As with most things, however, we were subject to the limit of a combination of screentime, story requirements, money, shooting schedule, and the actors’ personal schedules.

• And then finally: If Michael Rosenbaum had been in Crisis, would the Lex storyline have had to be changed a bit? As it stood, I thought the team did a great job of having Jon Cryer's Lex interacting with Tom Welling.

See above!!!
I guess it’s a sign of just how much has changed in television, but believe it or not, they let us build half a ship for Arrow Ep. 215, “The Promise.” Here’s a look:

3acd544a-de60-4be1-a700-424d051bd544_300

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Fan pics of Arrow cast (SA, DR, EBR, JB) at Lexington Comic & Toy Convention yesterday (Mar. 9)...

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Same fan tweeted several short video clips from yesterday's Arrow panel at Lexington Comic & Toy Convention, but I only posted some of them below (go to her twitter X feed if you want to watch the other video clips)...

-- SA: “You assholes!”
DR: “It was the beard in the cowl... Doesn’t that friction slow you down?”
JB: “No one was looking at the beard.”
Mod: “Any other answers?”
EBR: “Oh, I’m biased. We had Caity Lotz for a season and she goes somewhere else. You know, you want to go see your sister, that kind of thing… Nice to always be with her.”

-- EBR: “You have this idea in your head that it could end in any second. And there is a fragility to that. And there’s definitely… magical, special, sort of concoction that happens when you’re all together and the show keeps going. I don’t know if you know what it feels like when you’re in it. You just kind of – you got lightning in a bottle…”
JB: “You know what it feels like when you’re not in it.”
EBR: “I do, I do.”
JB: “Not in a bad way. You know what you had, when you’re not doing it any longer.”
SA (nodding his head): “Yes.”

-- SA: “If people that are like 25 or 26 could stop coming up to me and saying, ‘hey, man, Arrow was my childhood, that would really be appreciated.” 
JB: “Seriously, get used to it. I’ve been there for a long time now.”

-- JB (to the audience): “To be here with you guys, for me, you guys have changed my life, in more than one way. And the reason we come to these things is because we’re celebrating, not only the show, but also you guys for doing what you’ve done for us….”
EBR: “You brought us all back together. If someone had asked me, you know, what does it feel like? … It kinda feels like a big, warm hug. And then – I probably haven’t seen John in probably five years… He comes up and hugs me. And then when you left, I started crying. … It feels like that. It’s like this – I don’t know, just like a moment in time.”

-- DR: “It was, uh, the last scene. We all stood in the foundry together, the three of us, and say, ‘goodbye.’ … We’re saying goodbye to the show, saying goodbye to each other, saying goodbye to the space. And, um, I think we all kinda felt that, in that moment. So that was easily the saddest scene.”

-SA: “Obviously Emily came back for our finale. But, uh, when she left the show at the end of Season 7, we had a scene where we had to say goodbye to each other. And I had to – I think it was one of the only times ever as an actor where I had to suppress what I was feeling to make sure that the scene was right for the show, ‘cause I was gonna miss her. I mean, my - my family came to set, my daughter sang her a song to say goodbye… It was legit sad. It was really sad. Thankfully, we weren’t having like a family dinner scene or anything like that… Yeah, that was a difficult scene.”

-- SA: “My favorite episode is the pilot, straight up. We had two weeks – uh, two plus weeks to shoot it. Um, David Nutter directing. Superhero suit. Important… When I saw the cut of it, I thought that they’d killed David off, actually.”
DR: “So did I.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Stephen Amell’s Green Arrow Started as a Batman Ripoff, but Changed for the Better
BY MICHAEL JOHN PETTY   MARCH 10, 2024
https://collider.com/arrow-batman-stephen-amell/ 

Believe it or not, Green Arrow ripping off Batman is actually DC Comics' precedent. Back during the character's earliest adventures, Green Arrow had his own Arrowcar, Arrowsignal, and even his own Arrowcave. No wonder fans called Oliver's lair/bunker "the Arrowcave" in the early years before it became known as "the Foundry." In fact, even Speedy, Green Arrow's original sidekick, was a red-suited rip-off of the original Robin. Ironically, the two would become friends and co-found the Teen Titans together, so apparently it all worked out. But despite the long-time similarities between these two, Green Arrow eventually developed into his own character entirely, one who occasionally took a darker turn than even Batman would dare to go. Ironically, Green Arrow was once set to get his own feature film, which would've been penned by none other than The Dark Knight scribe David S. Goyer.
Thankfully, Arrow never needed to use Batman himself — the show was content ripping off the character for a while. That is, until Oliver Queen became a hero of his own, stepping out of the shadows as the Green Arrow and leading the Arrowverse into a brand-new era. Now that its decade-long reign on the CW is over, it's easy to reflect on the long-running superhero franchise and how it ushered in a new age of comic book-related television. Without Arrow, who knows if the Arrowverse, or anything like it, would ever have happened?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Video of most of Arrow panel - good to have context for some of the brief clips previously posted above...

Cast of Arrow Panel - Lexington Comic Con 3/9/24
suzi98babe   Mar 11, 2024

-- Fan: "In Season 4 you wore the sleeveless costume. Did you like the costume with sleeves or the one without sleeves?"
SA:
"I like the way that the one with - without sleeves looked. The problem was being out in that costume... on a roof in the Pacific Northwest at two o'clock in the morning when it's 38 degrees, and I'm trying to get into character... And then, after every scene when I'm threatening someone, I have to go, 'Can I get my puffy coat?' So going into Season 5, I was like, 'Guys, I'm going to put the sleeves back on.' And they went, 'Well, how are we going to justify that in the story?' I go, 'I don't care.' And then I actually think that we found - I - I think we actually ended up shooting a flashback scene with you and I (Indicating EBR) where I, uh, was like, 'Oh, I was out in the field and I scratched my arm. Let's put the sleeves back on.'"

-- Fan: "My question is, what's your favorite memory from filming on set?"
EBR:
"There's so many to choose from. We did eight years. Um, Stephen and I - this came up earlier today, so maybe it's at the front of... my brain. Um, they made an elevator shaft for us to jump across in Season 1. We didn't get to do anything like that afterwards, but, uh... full-blown had to do like a really cool stunt together when we were just starting to get to know each other."
SA: "Yep. My - I think my favorite memory was probably the - the first time that I got to put on the suit. It's - I don't know if you've ever worn a superhero suit for work, but it's the best."
JB: "Mine, I have to say, was, first of all, before we started filming, getting the call to, uh - and the words they used was, uh, were, 'We cast this young man, Stephen Amell, as the Arrow, and we would like you to play a villain who navigates through the series and create - helps create this world.' And I'm like, 'I'm in.' And then the other favorite was the fight sequence - I mean, again, it's hard to choose because we love doing it. We love the show, we love the characters, we love what they stood for. Um, but one of my favorites was the sequence that Stephen and I did with the fight on the rooftop where I ripped off his hood and - and revealed who he was and the reaction of just - I mean, I'm even getting little goose pimples now - the fact that Malcolm realized that he knew - I say, kid, but you weren't a kid, but I - he knew who this guy was and his best - the best mate of his son, and he loved him like a son as he loves his son. How the hell is he going to kill him? And he couldn't. And that was a complete pivotal moment. So that was one of my favorite moments."
DR: "Nice. That's very nice, John. I mean, what do you say after that? ... You know something, my favorite - this is honestly my favorite. ... Every year that we were picked up, we would go to San Diego Comic Con, right? And we would get drunk... And there was a moment at one of the parties - this is a true story - it wasn't on set, it was at one of the parties. And it was the second season... We were at one of the parties. And me and Emily were there, Stephen were there, and I think Stephen just got done talking to somebody. And me and Emily kind of floating... and he grabbed both of us and we kind of went in the huddle. And he said, 'Wow, we got something really special.' ... Even though it wasn't on the set, I remember that moment because it all went downhill from there. No. (Everyone laughs) ... But it was a great moment and we knew we had something that really was special on television... And I was really grateful at that moment."
EBR: "Didn't know we were going to cry today."

-- Fan: "What was your guys' favorite episode?"
SA:
"My favorite episode is the pilot, straight up. We had two weeks – uh, two plus weeks to shoot it. Um, David Nutter directing. Superhero suit. Important… When I saw the cut of it, I thought that they’d killed David off, actually.”
DR: “So did I.”
JB: "There was one episode where I got to wear your suit. (Indicating SA) But it wasn't your suit because I was (Mimes bulkier build) ... I'd never fit in his suit... I remember, I just had a spontaneous moment. We were filming kind of like in a big furniture warehouse. I don't know where it was, but it was a furniture warehouse and I have photographs of me in his suit, like on a sofa (Mimes model pose)... It's the only time I'm going to be able to be outrageous and silly and funny in this...  the Arrow's costume, 'cause I was pretending to be him in the show and then all of a sudden I'm like on a red velvet sofa doing (Mimes model pose again) ... Awesome. I should do it as a Christmas card."
DR: "Yeah, the pilot for me, too... Stephen mentioned David Nutter was - still is a wonderful, uh, director. Directed many pilots, one of ours, and he was on the set and he said, 'This show is going to be a hit.' And, um, me and other producers were like - it was a scene where we're shooting the car scene where you would disappear out of the car while I was driving. And, um, he was like, 'This is going to be a hit.' And we're like, 'No! Don't say that, don't say that!' ... Ane he was like, 'No, this is going to be a bona fide hit. There's going to be nothing on television like this.' And we were just like, 'Really?' ... He's like, 'Really.'  ... So, the pilot... It was CW and I think there was a scene where - where Stephen says, uh - Oliver says, 'You can't know my secret,' and just breaks someone's neck... But we were in the shadow of Smallville, right? the show, you have to remember, was in the shadow of Smallville. And so it was just nothing like it on television that first season. So, um, yeah, the pilot."
JB: "They were involved in the pilot. We came along later. (Looking at EBR) ... But the whole fact of the matter that this show and these two guys and the people who were involved in the pilot created a world that was on The CW and then spun off so many shows that this show was responsible for and also these people were responsible for. That's another big thing. (To SA) You're not going to say it yourself, but I'll say it for you."
EBR: "We'll say it for you. ... I want to say the pilot, but I wasn't there. I was there two episodes later. I think there's an episode, I think it's episode 13, when he stands there - (To SA) You have a better brain for numbers than I do - and Felicity gives Oliver the book of names. And I remember thinking to myself, like, oh, ths is like - this is - I mean, I love Wendy and I loved that set and I loved what we were doing. I think it was like the third or fourth time they brought me back. And then after we shot that scene, I got a call... like, I think they want to bring you back a lot more. And I'm like, what does that mean? I'm going to have to get a babysitter for my dog."

-- Fan: "Mr. Ramsey... they hinted at a Green Lantern spinoff. Would you be interested or do you know if you would want to do that?"
DR:
"Oh, Jesus! ... We only teased it for six years... The answer is probably not... But there were very good intentions for that to happen. Um, things happened way above any of our pay grade, um, with the network and with DC and Warner Brothers, specifically. Um, so though I would have loved to have donned emerald tights camera. (SA, EBR and JB all fan themselves, while audience laughs) Just throw underhanded pitches at any of them. They're going to swing, they're going to swing... It's probably not, probably not." 

-- Fan: "For the four of you, what was your favorite fight scene?"
JB:
“I just remember my first with Stephen where I (SA makes noise) ... and that's exactly the reaction. I had never, uh, I mean, I’m a trained dancer, so I do things very – well, when they teach me the fights, I have like choreography, but then they always have to remind me not to (Makes theatrical arm gestures out) … right? So it would be, ‘great take, John, you got everything… but try to look less like Baryshnikov.’ (Points to SA) The first fight sequence that we ever did, and I was very nervous… It was a new show, new character, and, like Emily was saying, you’re hoping that they’ll bring you back or something will happen…. I remember we talked about it and I had to kick through a wall, go through the wall, and then I had - Stephen was on the ground. I'm making this shorter and then I had to like kick him in the - the - look like I was kicking him in the gut. Now when you do that, you put your foot into the ground, so it looks like you’re kicking them. You go through all this, you practice it, you rehearse it. But what I didn’t realize when we were rehearsing and then we got to shooting, they put a gimp mask on me, which covered my mouth and my face and my eyes, and I’m slightly claustrophobic, and having a panic attack. So I busted through the wall and I come up to Steve, and I go (Makes two stomping sounds and then a wham sound) … and I kicked him in the shin… And then, ‘cut.’ And he gets up and he’s going, ‘ahhh, ahhh!” (Grabs leg) … And I’m going, ‘shit, shit, I’m really sorry, I’m really sorry.’ He’s like, ‘it’s okay, it’s okay!’ And I’m like, ‘are you okay?’ … ‘It’s not okay, it’s not okay!’ I’m like, ‘I know you want to kill me right now.’ He said, ‘I do, I do!’ … I had Harley Davidson boots on, which had steel toecaps in them. … I felt his – I didn’t, but I felt his pain.”
SA: "I'm not going to pick a particular fight scene. But I just - I have a massive affinity for kicking in doors. It would be my favorite thing. I love kicking in a door. I'd stretch, I'd warm up. And - and maybe they're like, 'We're gonna - we're gonna set it for you and open it, so you barely have to touch it.' I'd be like, 'Don't do any of that.'"
DR: "Yeah, favorite fight scene was probably me and you. (Indicating SA) ... You know what was cool about that fight scene, too, because they wrote it like two martial artists... And Stephen kind of stopped and was like, 'No, these guys are brothers and brothers don't fight like that.' Like, they put each other in headlocks and punch each other and break things. Right? So, um, the fight was redesigned and it came out really well And Felicity looked like the mom breaking the boys up."
EBR: "Yeah, that's my favorite fight scene right there. I love coming in - love coming in, breaking it up. Felicity fought a lot on the keyboard, so if you ever meet her online, she will pone you. She did a good job. Nobody won, except for her."

(Break in video here.)

-- Fan apparently asked them for their saddest scene to shoot.
SA:
"Obviously Emily came back for our finale. But, uh, when she left the show at the end of Season 7, we had a scene where we had to say goodbye to each other. And I had to – I think it was one of the only times ever as an actor where I had to suppress what I was feeling to make sure that the scene was right for the show, ‘cause I was gonna miss her. I mean, my - my family came to set, my daughter sang her a song to say goodbye… It was legit sad. It was really sad. Thankfully, we weren’t having like a a family dinner scene or anything like that… Yeah, that was a difficult scene to film for me.”
DR: “Similarly, it was the last scene. We all stood in the foundry together, the three of us, and say, ‘goodbye.’ … We’re saying goodbye to the show, saying goodbye to each other, saying goodbye to the space. And, um, I think we all kinda felt that, in that moment. So that was easily the saddest scene.”
JB: "I agree with them, but I wasn't there... Malcolm had some sad moments, but Malcolm's moments were manipulative sad, so - yay."
EBR: "We grieve when you left, too. It was sad. ... There was a scene where Felicity denies Oliver's engagement by standing up out of her wheelchair... That was something... It was difficult... It was a hard day to shoot. It was kind of a story point. And we didn't have answers to where everything was going either... It felt like a crux for our characters in a sense. We were kind of walking into the unknown."

-- Fan: "How emotional do you get thinking about being here in front of people, being able to talk about all the memories you've had on Arrow?"
JB:
“For me, because – when I came into Arrow, it was my third series that I’d done… that became a character that was there more than once... We may not see each other all the time. But when we do get together, it’s like a family getting back together. And the fact that, uh, on set, you’re there all the time. And, like Stephen was saying, you know, people have had children, uh, others have gone off to do other things. … I know, for myself, when I see them doing something, you know, uh, it just makes you a little warm inside. You feel really proud of everybody…. (Points to Stephen Amell) You know, Suits. (Everyone applauds) And I know Emily, uh, with, uh, Calamity. And (To DR) I'll pay for you to be in tights."

(Break in video here.)

-- JB: "... I did it, too, for the good of the family and the, you know, uh, Team Arrow and all that kind of stuff. Yet I got all the shit all the time! You're a bad guy, you're mean, you need to get out of here. (Pats SA's shoulder) But you always came to your daddy for advice."
SA: “And people would've loved you for that behavior if the show was called Merlyn.” (Everyone laughs)
JB: “Touché.”

(Break in video here.)

-- Fan asked about their favorite crossover actor.
JB:
"I got to cross over into other shows. So, uh, for me, I love the Malcolm that was in Legends of Tomorrow. (Audience applauds) Not that I didn't love the Malcolm that was in Arrow, but - but Malcolm in Legends of Tomorrow was a little more like, whaat? And I was opposite Neal McDonough and we were, you know, just having a blast. And I just remember one scene was in an elevator and they were shooting it. And we said, 'Look, can we pretend that we've just come back from dinner and pick our teeth and like clean our nails. And then we've got to meet with the - the Legends, who are going to be up on top, and we, uh, you know, can we also play ‘The Girl from Impanema’ in the elevator? And they went, 'What?" And I said, 'Yeah, it's kinda like two dudes just come back from a supper club, have their dinner, and then they're going to go kill some people, okay?' ... But they couldn’t use ‘The Girl from Impanema’ because of the cost of music. Um, so they get this music that’s kinda like it – if you go back and watch it. And there’s Neal and I going (Mimes picking at teeth) … literally. And then the elevator opens and we go out and we just go (Makes gun sounds and mimes shooting gun in wide arc) … That’s what I liked about it. I got to play a little humorous side to Malcolm Merlyn. And he got to let kind of Neal’s character lead the way a little bit.”
DR: “Yeah, for me, it was probably, uh, just being... being, I guess, run around by Grant. (Everyone laughs) Yeah, Diggle always had a visceral reaction. And, um… any time I crossed over, with Grant, it was always fun. But, funnest ever, was seeing Stephen in Grant’s outfit. (Everyone laughs) It was the year Arrow became a half-hour sit-com. It was the funniest thing ever.”
EBR: "So many tights."
SA: “It was a super serious scene! And I’m working nonstop and I roll in for the super serious scene in the Flash outfit in front of the entire Arrow cast and crew. And everyone just looked at me and went, 'oh, we can't.' (Everyone laughs) You assholes.
DR: “It was the beard in the cowl... Doesn’t that friction slow you down?”
JB: “No one was looking at the beard.”
Mod: “Any other answers? (To EBR) You got one?”
EBR: “Oh, I’m biased. We had Caity Lotz for a season and she goes somewhere else. You know, you want to go see your sister, that kind of thing. Yeah, nice to always be with her.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Video of David Ramsey panel at Evansville Raptor Con on December 9, 2023 (I did not transcribe everything)...

Evansville Raptor Con Celebrity Panel | David P. Ramsey
Liberty   posted Mar 12, 2024

-- Mod: "Did you know that he did not have to audition for his role as John Diggle?"
DR: "The guy who created the show, um, Greg Berlanti, he and his father used to watch a show called Blue Bloods, which is still on... So he used to watch that show and said, 'That's our John Diggle,' he and his father, and they called me and said, 'Hey, this character doesn't have much to do in the pilot, but he becomes Oliver Queen's right-hand guy... And I read the pilot, and the Arrow pilot was like no other pilot I had seen... The lead guy was murdering people... like Dexter. ... But it was a fun pilot and, um, the rest is history."

-- Mod: "You did have kind of a major - major role in that first episode as in we kind of see the, uh, the relationship begin between the two of you."
DR: "Yeah, he has a lot to do... There's a lot of presence and a lot of gravitas that Diggle brings, so it's - it's - it's the presence more than anything else. But it was just a fun show. ... Who knew that it would spawn for, you know,  10 years and all these other spinoffs.... So it's just magic."

-- Mod: "You could really tell the chemistry between you, the cast, the entire cast. You know, and then something like that where they bring in new people every few seasons. Is there any weirdness or was it just like business?"
DR: "You know, it's funny. Everyone, uh, that came on the show... it was great. Like, everyone just fit right in. So every spinoff - you know what's funny? ... If this was the stage where we're shooting Arrow, then Flash would literally be on the other side of that wall. They were that close to us. We shared a stage, but we never saw each other... Never saw the cast of Flash until the crossovers. So the crossovers is when all the cast would see each other because we're all in Vancouver, but we worked literally 10, 12, literally 14 hour days. So weekend, no one saw each other... retired. And then we go back to work on Monday. So the crossovers is when everyone saw each other. And it was like literally they would have to wait 10 minutes, 15 minutes, to get a shot because everyone was just talking and laughing, just catching up. And like, okay, can we work now?"
Mod: "So there wasn't really like an ego struggle? You got stars of other major shows coming together. There wasn't like, well, I'm going to need a higher chair?"
DR: "There really wasn't much ego like that... First of all, everyone was from either - no one was from Vancouver - I think Emily may have been from - the one who played Felicity. But aside from that, everyone was from someplace else. So, um, it was - there's that. Right? No one was really home... That was some part of the dynamic of just kind of being in the same places that no one really knew. I think that was the first part. The second part, I think, everyone was just, um - we realized how fortunate we were. I think everyone got that, because it was Arrow and then Flash and then Legends and then Supergirl and then Black Lightning and - and, uh, there was nothing like that. There was nothing like that on television that had these - all these kind of connected - this kind of connected, cohesive universe. So I think everyone - there's a picture that's on my - on my table... and that was at San Diego Comic Con. I remember that picture we took. And the picture was in Season 2, so it was 2013. And I remember right before that picture, Stephen has the two of us in a huddle and he was like, 'Wow, man, we're really lucky.' Like, 'Yeah, we're really lucky.' And then someone was like, 'Hey, guys, can you pose?' And we kinda turned and that was the picture. ... So that sentiment of just realizing how fortunate we all were? That kind of permeated all the shows."

-- Mod: "Weren't there plans to continue you in a different type of ... was there a strike that happened and maybe now it's over?"
DR: "Yeah. Yeah, there's that. But there's more - there's more of that story. You want to hear it?"
Mod: "Yes."
DR: "I mean, we only teased Green Lantern for six years, right? ... Wasn't that long. Um, but there were serious plans that John Diggle's mythos became John Stewart's mythos. We even brought in Ernie Hudson, who was Colonel Stewart, who was John Diggle's father whose name he didn't take. There was a crossover where, uh, we had a Flash from another universe recognized John Diggle as Green Lantern. ... And from Season 4 on, it was like, every time we saw Diggle it was on a green background... So, um, there were real plans for this, but, you know, things happen. And, uh, I think it was a - it was a number of things. I think CW, um, the network, became something else - someone else... So, there's that. And then I think DC went through some regime changes and, um, between that world - and then - and then 2019, uh, there were some - some - some changes with the show. So I think all that stuff just kind of led to - um, and it wasn't just John Diggle's story. There was - there were the Canaries that was a spinoff that - that didn't quite work for the same reasons. So yeah, I mean, we all had plans, you know?"
Mod: "Are they done?"
DR: "I don't know."
Mod: "I don't want to make you cry."
DR: "The Lantern story, it was going to be pretty - so, look, John Diggle eventually - and what was cool about that, too... John Diggle won't become Lantern in this world. So they wrote something in the Flash crossover where he had the ring and he denied the calling of the ring, but then he kind of continued his mythos on Superman and Lois, Superman and Lois is in its last season. So is there a chance? Slim."

-- While talking directing and about how Michael Hall could immediately change into his Dexter character as soon as "Action" was called, DR: "Not all actors are like that. Like Manu Bennett who plays, um, who played, um, Deathstroke on Arrow. Um, he's a Method actor. So when - before the camera - like if he's exhausted, he'll literally run around the set four times. He's like, alright, he's sweaty now. Now - now's the makeup's like, 'He's sweaty now.' He's like, 'But I got to be sweaty.' Right? Because that's his thing. ... When I was an actor, I was just like, dude, like, just act like you're sweaty. Right... Just pretend. Just use your imagination. ... But it's weird, because after all these years as an actor when those things would irritate me seeing other actors do some of that stuff, they - I just get - get there like maybe ... not every actor can do that and they don't want to lie. They don't want the director to see they're not really thinking. They're gone. Right? 'Cause they know they'll be caught and... they see it as fraudulent and ... it's a whole thing. So as a director I got it, because now I'm looking through the lens and I - and I can see it. I see exactly when the actor leaves and then we do it again."

-- DR: "And you know, Arrow obviously is dark. It's green and black. And you go to to the Flash literally on the other side of the wall and it's a party... Everything's bright. So every show has its own personality. But Legends for sure was probably the most fun."

-- Fan: "In the first season of Arrow, Oliver is obviously a killer. And then there was a severe shift, I think, with the beginning of the second season. You know, uh, you failed this city and all that kind of stuff. Did DC Comics come in - are you aware - I've never really heard of the impetus for that change where Oliver is no longer a killer?"
DR: "That's a good question. There could've been some executive decision for this. But from - from my understanding, the writing was always going to go to a place where Oliver Queen found his humanity and part of that was - was - um, it was obviously five years was going through the show... Part of the idea was that the flashbacks showed how he lost his humanity, and coming back to society, um, showed how he would regain his and become a hero. So there was always. Was that an executive at Warner Bros. decision? I don't know. But I can say that that was always part of it, because when I came on the show, that was part of the pitch, was that John Diggle would help him on that journey. So again, he said, 'Hey, you don't have much to do with the pilot, but you become his right-hand guy and you're part of his journey to regain his humanity. So I do know that that was part of - the writers already had that in mind. Um, was that part of the impetus of getting it on the show on the air in the first place, that they would have to show them make that journey? I don't know. But it was from the very beginning."
Fan: "He kept losing it."
DR: "That was part of - Obviously we made a joke out of that... But I think that was part and parcel with, um, you know, does he accept - does he accept the offer that Diggle and Felicity brought, which was, how do you embrace your humanity? How do you become a hero in this universe?"

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

From Collective Con (Jacksonville, FL) on Saturday, March 9...

CollectiveCon 2024 - Brandon Routh Q&A Panel
Saix_XIII    posted Mar 11, 2024

From Lexington Comic & Toy Convention last weekend (both short clips)...

~Ivan’s Voice ~ Ivan interviews Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards(Arrow)
Ivan's Voice   posted Mar 13, 2024

~Ivan’s Voice ~ Ivan interviews David Ramsey (Diggle in Arrow)
Ivan's Voice   posted Mar 13, 2024

(edited)

Former Arrow writer Deric Hughes will be part of two writers panels l at WonderCon on March 29 and 30...

https://wondercon2024.sched.com/event/1azeZ/so-you-want-to-be-a-writer-how-to-create-psychologically-rich-characters 

So, You Want to Be a Writer: How to Create Psychologically Rich Characters

This panel of writers shows how to create psychologically rich characters to help you boost your writing and make it stand out. Learn how to break free from your imposter syndrome and attend to your creative passions. Panelists include authors Dr. Janina Scarlet (Dark Agents, Superhero Therapy), Jonathan Maberry (V-Wars, Joe Ledger series), Bonnie Burton (Magic The Gathering: Murders at Karlov Manor, Hunt a Killer: R.I.P. at the Rodeo), and Dennis Crosby (Death’s Legacy), and TV writers Deric Hughes (Arrow, Quantum Leap), Kristi Korzec (Superman & Lois), and Brian Bradley (Star Trek: Lower Decks). Dustin McGinnis (Superhero Therapy podcast) moderates.

Friday March 29, 2024 7:30pm - 8:30pm PDT

https://wondercon2024.sched.com/event/1azfd/inside-the-writers-room-the-channels-they-are-a-changin 

Inside the Writers Room: The Channels They Are a Changin'

Showrunner Mark A. Altman (Deathlands, Pandora, The Librarians) moderates showrunners and writers to share insights into the state of television today and what’s at stake for writers poststrike as the business goes through an epic upheaval. From network to streaming, live action to animation, they’ve got you covered. Featuring Jose Molina (Blood & Treasure, Agent Carter, Firefly), Amy Berg (Warrior Nun, Counterpart), Ashley E. Miller (DOTA: Dragon’s Blood, Fringe, Black Sails), Deric A. Hughes (Quantum Leap, Legacies), Jeff Yorkes (The Muppets Mayhem), Anslem Richardson (The Boys, Timeless), Marc Bernardin (Masters of The Universe: Revelation, Carnival Row), Sarah Watson (The Bold Type, Parenthood), and director David Rogers (Upload, The Office).

Saturday March 30, 2024 10:00am - 11:30am PDT

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

TO THE ARROW-CAVE!
LegalDispatch 0.93

MARC GUGGENHEIM   MAR 15, 2024
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/to-the-arrow-cave 

Harvey Hamer writes:

• That Amazo set is... amazing. As a non-avid comic reader, I only now realise that the ship is named after the character, and Ivo... like the labs that make the robot later in the Arrowverse.

Yup. That was in the early days of the Arrowverse — Season 2 of Arrow — when we didn’t think we’d get access to the number of DC characters that we eventually did so we just peppered the scripts with Easter egg references whenever possible.

• Was there ever more of a desire to involve more of Constantine in Legends of Tomorrow? It was amazing when he appeared in Arrow, and then so much content in Legends (using the same Astra flashback as his solo show?) but I was always hoping for some Manny/rising darkness reference/resolution.

For the uninitiated, Legends series regular Matt Ryan portrayed the DC hero John Constantine in a series that ran on NBC from 2014 to 2015. We brought Matt back to reprise his role in Arrow before bringing him on to Legends. Harvey is asking about bringing plot elements from Constantine into that show.

The answer, Harvey, is that how much to reference the NBC show was a source of constant discussion. On the one hand, you never want to make the audience feel like they have to “do homework” by seeking out a canceled show that ran on another network. On the other hand, Constantine left the airwaves far, far too soon and there was always a desire on the part of the Legends writers to honor that show and its storylines as much as possible. As with anything, you just hope to strike the right balance.
Meanwhile, over on Twitter, Luke Flux asked:

• May I ask why you guys chose to make Green Arrow a more darker version than his comic counterpart? I know a lot of people theorise it’s because you wanted to use Batman but WB said no but I was wondering if you could tell us the official reason.

Thanks for asking, Luke. That Batman rumor tends to come up with some regularity for some reason and it’s always nice to have an opportunity to squash it. The rumor itself is surprising because it’s oft-repeated public knowledge that Arrow sprung from the mind of Greg Berlanti, who had the vision of a show about Oliver Queen that alternated between his modern day quest for justice and his five-year experience on a deserted island. Seen in that light, the idea that Green Arrow on the CW was just some “retrofitted” attempt at doing Batman just doesn’t make sense.

That said, the comic book similarities between Batman and Green Arrow are hard to deny. In fact, one of my all-time favorite comic book moments was during Kevin Smith’s Green Arrow: Quiver storyline where Kevin has Batman “hang a lantern” (a writers room term) on the similarities:
(I wrote a piece about this very topic for DC’s Green Arrow: 80 Years of the Emerald Archer deluxe edition.)

But I digress. To get to the nub of your question: Why did we make Green Arrow “darker” than his comic book counterpart? There are actually a few different answers/explanations. First and foremost, Greg’s vision was always for Arrow to be very grounded and that grounded, Nolan-esque approach, simply lent itself better to a darker take. Moreover, Smallville — which ended just the year prior to Arrow’s debut — had already given the audience a more “light hearted” Green Arrow in the form of Justin Hartley’s Oliver Queen.

It’s also worth noting a corollary to Stan Lee’s axiom “every comic is someone’s first” by stating that “each character portrayal is the one someone feels is ‘the authentic’ portrayal.” (Okay not the most elegant of rephrasings but I think you take my meaning.) And speaking for myself, the definitive portrayal of Green Arrow in comics is Mike Grell’s seminal The Longbow Hunters mini-series, which is really quite dark and grounded.
In fact, this is the reason why we reached out to Mike to draw the police sketch of “The Hood” which appeared in Arrow’s early episodes.
I think if you check out The Longbow Hunters, you’ll see that it had a pretty massive influence on (at the very least) the first season of Arrow.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Brandon Routh and Mena Suvari to Star in Joseph Kahn’s ‘Ick’ From Interstellar Entertainment (EXCLUSIVE)
By Katcy Stephan   Mar 15, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/brandon-routh-mena-suvarijoseph-kahn-ick-1235943576/ 

Brandon Routh and Mena Suvari will lead the cast of Grammy-winning director Joseph Kahn‘s next film, “Ick.”

The film aims to evoke the timeless creature features of the 1980s with an ambitious arsenal of scares and comedy. Routh (“Superman Returns,” “Scott Pilgrim”) stars as Hank, a high school science teacher who still pines for his childhood sweetheart, played by Suvari (“American Beauty,” “American Pie”). While discovering he may have a teenage daughter, portrayed by Malina Weissman (“Lemony Snicket’s Series of Unfortunate Events”), Hank must grapple with a terrifying alien anomaly (the titular “Ick”) invading their small town.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Before Josh Segarra Played Lovable Himbos, He Was Arrow’s Scariest Villain
By Brynna Arens   March 18, 2024
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/before-josh-segarra-played-lovable-himbos-he-was-arrows-scariest-villain/ 

Adrian Chase may not be as physically intimidating as Ra’s Al Ghul or Deathstroke, or have the mystical powers of Damien Darhk, but his scariness stems from something deeper. Aside from maybe Malcolm, who Oliver grew up knowing, Chase is the only villain that Oliver didn’t see coming until it was almost too late. And even then, the Oliver that faced off against Malcolm Merlyn is a different person than the Oliver that Chase decides to take on.
The total 180 that Segarra does personality-wise to portray Chase after the audience and Oliver learn of his true intentions prove that he has the range to play more villainous characters. ....

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

LegalDispatch 0.94

MARC GUGGENHEIM   MAR 22, 2024
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/1k 

Chancellor writes:

• I didn’t include the exact quote in the cover, but I remember Berlanti telling me that things like Homeland and The Bourne Identity were notable reference points for Arrow Season 1 almost as much as like comics.

Hey, Chancellor!

No lies detected, man. Homeland and Bourne were definite touchstones. In fact, I’d even go one further and say that Tony Gilroy’s writing style on Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum were a huge influence in the writing of the action sequences.

Chris Baldit writes:

• The Arrow Cave. “We call it the...it's the Bunker, but...yeah.” Thanks for sharing that amazing stuff from Arrow, including the Amazo set photo. I doubt anyone is building sets like that anymore for a TV show.

We built a similar set for the first episode of Carnival Row. Money is still being spent on certain high-end shows. But the thought of such a build for a network show is unthinkable these days.
I’ve been having fun placing little nuggets from my Arrow files in recent editions of the newsletter, so I’m looking to continue doing that. Normally, I strive to find something that connects with a reader’s question or comment, but nothing jumped out at me this week.

Back in the days when we shot the Arrow pilot, our studio — Warner Bros. — would burn DVDs of their finished pilots and distribute them to the producers regardless of whether the show was picked up to series or not. Obviously, those days are long since gone. But for posterity, here’s the artwork that Warner Bros. created for the Arrow pilot DVD:

7f8e492f-9c13-40d3-9765-cbe32fa3755a_797

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Josh Segarra is having a great post-Arrow career...

Jack Dylan Grazer, Josh Segarra & Billy Bryk Among New Additions To Tim Robinson Comedy ‘Friendship’
By Matt Grobar   March 20, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/03/jack-dylan-grazer-josh-segarra-billy-bryk-join-tim-robinson-film-friendship-1235863514/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Jack Dylan Grazer (It franchise), Josh Segarra (Scream VI) and Billy Bryk (When You Finish Saving the World) are among the final additions to the cast of the comedy Friendship, from Fifth Season and BoulderLight Pictures. Their roles are under wraps.

As previously reported, Tim Robinson, Paul Rudd, and Kate Mara lead the cast. Other new additions include Jason Veasey, Jon Glaser, Eric Rahill, Conner O’Malley, Carmen Christopher, Craig Frank, Omar Torres, Jacob Ming-Trent, Daniel London, Whitmer Thomas, and Raphael Sbarge.

The first feature from writer-director Andrew DeYoung, Friendship follows Craig Waterman (Robinson), who enjoys his life. He likes New Balance shoes, Subway sandwiches, and Marvel movies. He lives in the suburbs with his wife, Tami, and son, Steven. He’s happy to work at Universal Digital, a company that helps brands make their products more habit-forming. Craig sees no reason to change anything or make new friends… until weatherman Austin (Rudd) moves into the neighborhood. Mysterious yet friendly, macho but vulnerable, Austin transforms everything for Craig, but Craig’s obsessive and childlike nature threatens to ruin the friendship, and possibly everything else in his life.
Next to be seen starring alongside Zoey Deutch, Ruby Cruz and Jonah Hauer-King in Chad Hartigan’s comedy The Threesome, Segara’s past film credits include Scream VI, Overboard, and Trainwreck. Previously, he’s also been seen in major roles on shows like The Other Two, Sirens, The Big Door Prize, The Moodys, Arrow, and Orange Is the New Black, among others. He is repped by CAA, ATA Management, and Jackoway, Austen, Tyerman.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

RETROSPECS 
https://www.elysiantheater.com/shows/retrospecs0421 

Sunday, April 21, 2024
2:00 PM  4:00 PM

Back in the early days of television (the 1990s), writers hoping to break in would write episodes of existing shows; these "spec" scripts were never meant to be produced, only to serve as samples for the aspiring writer. Spec scripts have gone out of fashion, but, in addition to being a great way to learn the craft, they were a lot of fun! You got to see the stamp individual writers put on your favorite shows.

In Retrospecs, we dig those old scripts by established writers out of their drawers and expose them to the warm light of the Elysian stage. Starring actors you know and love from TV, film, comedy, and the stage. From Girls to Gilmore Girls, from the Big Bang Theory to Buffy, get NEW EPISODES of your favorite shows, written by writers who never wrote for those shows! Only from Retrospecs.
The April 21st show will feature: 

The West Wing written by Marc Guggenheim (co-creator of Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow)

The Big Bang Theory by Helen Shang (Hawaii 5-0; 13 Reasons Why

Brandon Routh (Superman Returns)

Katie Cassidy (Arrow)

Olivia Scott Welch (Fear Street)

Kiran Deol (Destroy All Neighbors)

Ricardo Hurtado (School of Rock)

Hrishikesh Hirway (West Wing Weekly; Song Exploder)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Beth Schwartz's new showrunner gig...

‘Dead Boy Detectives’ trailer brings supernatural mystery to Netflix [Watch]
Liam Mathews   April 3, 2024 
https://www.goldderby.com/article/2024/dead-boy-detectives-trailer/

Based on a comic series by acclaimed fantasy writer Gaiman and produced by co-showrunners Steve Yockey (“The Flight Attendant”) and Beth Schwartz (“Sweet Tooth”) and superproducers Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schecter, “Dead Boy Detectives” follows a pair of paranormal detectives, Edwin Payne (George Rexstrew) and Charles Rowland (Jayden Revri), who are best friends and ghosts, as they solve paranormal mysteries in the mortal world. 
“Dead Boy Detectives” premieres Thursday, April 25 on Netflix. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

EBR will be a guest at Supanova Melbourne this weekend (April 6-7)...

Felicity Smoak: From Easter Egg To Team Arrow & Beyond
Written by Ashley Tuchin - April 3, 2024
https://www.supanova.com.au/felicity-smoak-from-easter-egg-to-team-arrow-beyond/ 

That’s all it should have been. Yet, Melbourne and Gold Coast Supa-Star Emily Bett Rickards brought so much awkward charm and natural humour to the character that she completely stole the show in her brief few minutes on screen. Even the show’s leading man, Stephen Amell seems taken in by her during that first meeting and the chemistry between the pair is instantly recognisable.
Felicity became a divisive character during the show’s later years, but there’s no denying just how remarkable she was. Whether or not you’re an ‘Olicity’ shipper, you’ve got to admire how a simple throwaway character who should have only appeared in a single episode, evolved into one of the show’s core characters. Heck, the fact that she evolved to the point of being divisive is remarkable in its own right.

She could have remained an adorably awkward I.T. employee for the show’s entire run, but not only would that have stagnated the character, but fans would probably still have been upset. The character’s direction, decisions and actions may not have sat right with everyone, but hey, that’s called being a fully-rounded human. She was a charming, intelligent, loyal teammate who remade herself as a successful businesswoman and literally learned to walk again.

And yes, she made mistakes and bad calls (we don’t talk about Havenrock), but that’s true of any character in any long-running TV show. So let’s not focus on character choices you might not agree with, but instead celebrate the miraculous evolution of a character, which was completely formed on the back of one actress’ incredible performance.

Emily, you did not fail this (Feli)city.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

A WHOLE MESS OF LOGOS
LegalDispatch 0.94

MARC GUGGENHEIM   APR 12, 2024
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/a-whole-mess-of-logos 

Craig Byrne writes:

• That Arrow pilot DVD has me wondering: At what point was the decision made to change to the serif font logo that we ended up getting? I know that promo logo was seen a bit in the summer of 2012, at least.

Well, Craig, it wasn’t actually a decision in the typical sense. In the course of making a pilot, several different departments at several different entities will create versions of the show logo to serve their own specific purposes.

For example, the art department will often come up with their own logo (in Arrow’s case it was the serif version) while studio marketing will devise the “DVD logo” and network marketing and publicity will design a third logo. A fourth logo is not unheard of once design of the main title comes into play (typically after a pilot is picked up to series).

• Also, you might be against opening themes for all I know, but if Arrow had a song over the opening titles, much like Smallville’s "Save Me," what would you have liked it to be? And were there ever discussions of having an opening theme?

Having grown up on shows like Greatest American Hero, I LOVE opening themes and, specifically, theme songs for shows. Unfortunately, main title sequences on broadcast have long since been reduced to title cards à la Arrow’s. But if I were to visit the alternate reality where Arrow got an extended main title with a theme song, I’d wish for it to be an original composition with music written by the legendary Mike Post. (Assuming Billy Joel were unavailable, of course.)
Craig’s question above sent me back into the archives in search of the very first designs of the Arrow logo. The first was the one created by the art department for use on production documents, director chairbacks, and the camera slate:

18981239-74e9-4a2a-8050-0bd89984a41e_200

Arrow Show Logo dated February 2012

This deep dive also surfaced some of the “rough” designs for that DVD cover. I’m sharing my faves below. I think you can see how they influenced some of the very first network-created posters for the show:

41cc1553-3668-4057-9ab7-37fc586d9e94_360

abe6a2f9-46b3-47ac-8746-536c8d8bf24d_360

8f2df326-deb7-4750-9c2d-836640159c44_360

0ef87122-45fe-41b0-b20d-ee2cd3b53f61_360

8867198d-c9db-4668-b805-d4bd48bac2c3_360

21eff15b-0d3e-4703-a0e3-3ef89612ef70_360 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

From Huntsville Comic & Pop Culture Expo (Alabama) on April 13...

Brandon Routh | Huntsville Pop Culture Expo 2024 #cnageeks #hsvexpo2024
CNAtv   Streamed Apr 13, 2024