Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Dog/Spai

• Start Topic

Riley and Hazel bring home a lost dog with the hope of keeping him, which doesn't sit well with Al. Also, Art goes on his first date with Lois (Rachel Bay Jones), on UNITED STATES OF AL, Thursday, June 17 (8:31-9:01 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Aw, Hazel :(. I get Riley wanting to indulge her a bit with the dog, even though he knew the chances of them keeping it were slim. Maybe they can get a dog of their own someday. Provided Al comes around on them, that is :p. Even with his resistance to the dog, though, I did like him being willing to try being a little more friendly towards it, because he didn't want his goddaughter to be lonely. That was sweet :). 

The dog itself was really cute, too. Even though I figured they wouldn't be able to keep it, and I'm glad the family got their pet back, I still kinda hoped for a happier outcome, if only so we could continue to see the dog more often :D. 

I also liked Al and Vanessa bonding a bit while he stayed at her place. Wonder if that tension between her and Freddy is a sign regarding the future of their relationship. 

On a different topic, nice to see Art and Lois' date :)! Seems she knows how to bring him out of his shell a little bit. 

• Love 7

I enjoyed the episode, it was funny, sweet and a little sad. I too can’t help but think Vanessa may end up dropping her boyfriend in the not too distant future. He’s sweet but dim

• Love 7
(edited)

Poor Hazel. Unfortunately Vanessa was proved right about the dog but I felt bad for her. Hopefully another dog arrives in Season 2. I was hoping for that at the end of the episode but at least we got to see a baby Riley flashback.

We didn’t get enough Art and Lois and the farting couch. HILARIOUS! Their date probably would’ve been a separate episode if they had been able to get 18 episodes like YS, B+ and Mom.

22 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I enjoyed the episode, it was funny, sweet and a little sad. I too can’t help but think Vanessa may end up dropping her boyfriend in the not too distant future. He’s sweet but dim

Yeah Freddy might not be long for this show. Or strangely enough maybe he stays on the show and him and Riley become friends after they break up.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Love 4

Poor Hazel, I understand why Riley was letting her get excited about the dog, but it was still really sad that they had to give that cute pupper back. Maybe they can get another dog...or maybe Al would prefer a cat? 

Al and Vanessa bonding was nice, although it looks like there might be trouble between her and Freddie. He's nice but a bit on the dumb side, but even if that does happen I don't know if I want her and Riley back together. I think its more interesting watching them become friends and co-parents then trying to get back together, but I think this show has earned enough good will from me to trust that they know what they're doing. I also thought the montage of Vanessa making videos of her and baby Hazel, but not sending any of the messy ones, was funny. "Those are baby recruitment adds." 

Art and Lois's date was really cute. 

• Love 4

As a "not a dog person" I completely related to Al. How shocking it would be to come from a place where animals (or dogs) are not pets to see one in a home IRL. I'm glad he came around, for Hazel. I really enjoy the growth all the characters are displaying while staying true to themselves. The casting and writing is fantastic and it's so nice to not see any abrupt character changes because the original version was too whatever.

• Love 5
On 6/18/2021 at 9:18 AM, DanaK said:

Actually, I thought he was pretty perceptive. I really didn't like Vanessa's upbraiding of him when he was trying to help. She didn't like hearing the truth from him; she just wanted the uncritical support Al was giving her.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, tennisgurl said:

Poor Hazel, I understand why Riley was letting her get excited about the dog, but it was still really sad that they had to give that cute pupper back. Maybe they can get another dog...or maybe Al would prefer a cat? 

Al and Vanessa bonding was nice, although it looks like there might be trouble between her and Freddie. He's nice but a bit on the dumb side, but even if that does happen I don't know if I want her and Riley back together. I think its more interesting watching them become friends and co-parents then trying to get back together, but I think this show has earned enough good will from me to trust that they know what they're doing. I also thought the montage of Vanessa making videos of her and baby Hazel, but not sending any of the messy ones, was funny. "Those are baby recruitment adds." 

Art and Lois's date was really cute. 

By the end of the episode, my dislike of Vanessa and her behavior with Freddie at the breakfast table turned more to sympathy for what all that she was going through while Riley was deployed. One of the things I like about this show is how it is showing that those on the home front are affected by deployments too. (I am starting to wonder why Vanessa and Hazel didn't live at or near whatever base where Riley was stationed -- it's not like he was deployed to Afghanistan for the entire time he was in the service. I wonder if they'll address that.)

I do think it's a little tired, the trope of finding a dog, bonding with it, only to have to give it back at the end. There's nothing stopping them from going to a shelter and rescuing a dog of their own. 

I thought Al's reaction was true to life, since pet dogs are not a thing in many cultures (at least not to the extent that Americans take it). 

Also, thanks, TPTB, for the gratuitous shot of Riley having to strip off his wet shirt and put on a dry one.

• Love 4