Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: There's No Gay in Team

• Start Topic

I won't lie, I used to roll my eyes at support groups for families of LGBT+ people, because I thought those people should just get their heads out of their asses. but I liked this one, so I guess I will have to reexamine my opinion a little. In any case, I like that Victor's dad is trying and I loved Love, Simon, so it was great to see Simon's dad here. It was a nice parallel, with Simon being there for Victor.

I'm sorry that Victor felt like he had to quit the team, they made it clear that he loves basketball and it is not fair to have to give up part of his identity. He shouldn't have to choose one over the other, but if he doesn't feel comfortable around those guys, good for him, he shouldn't have to stay to make a statement either (I hope I'm making sense here).

The montage at the beggining with all those people sharing their opinions about Victor was a bit cringeworthy, but I'm glad they included it, it seemed very real.

• Love 1

I wasn't expecting Josh Duhamel. Nice. Poor Victor's dad, he's really trying. I was sad for him about the shoe thing. It just flat up sucks that Victor feels like he has to quit the team.

Glad that Felix told Lake what was going on and that wasn't dragged out. I felt like it would be out of character for him not to tell her. Nice talk with Mia & Victor. 

• Love 5

I agree that dad is trying. But it's weird to me that they never even try to actually talk. Dad could say: what happened? Why did you quit the team? Did you only play before, because you thought you had to? I hope I didn't put you under that kind of pressure. I'm sorry you couldn't tell me sooner.

Also, and even more than the sports issue: I'm sorry I was making you feel unsafe to come out. I'm going to PFLAG meetings and I am really changing, and I want you to know I regret how I was before.

• Love 5

That's a good point. Maybe Victor is feeling like he can't talk to him like that right now and dad hasn't gotten there yet either. I dont remember last season enough to remember what he was like. He should tell Victor about the meetings though.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's extra weird because this show is much better than other shows about having people talk to each other instead of perpetuating weird and unnecessary misunderstandings. AND dad is talking to mom about all that stuff. So why isn't he talking to Victor? 

Also, in every family I've ever heard about, you can't just quit the team without your parents wanting to know what the hell is going on.

Edited by possibilities
On 6/15/2021 at 10:53 PM, possibilities said:

I agree that dad is trying. But it's weird to me that they never even try to actually talk. Dad could say: what happened? Why did you quit the team? Did you only play before, because you thought you had to? I hope I didn't put you under that kind of pressure. I'm sorry you couldn't tell me sooner.

Also, and even more than the sports issue: I'm sorry I was making you feel unsafe to come out. I'm going to PFLAG meetings and I am really changing, and I want you to know I regret how I was before.

I think this may be because the Dad doesn’t know what to say. Often parents and elders are REALLY uncomfortable with the vulnerability of “not knowing”. I think the Dad doesn’t want to confront his own personality flaws, but he loves his son and doesn’t want to say the wrong thing, so he just doesn’t say anything. I think that the stance is wrong of course, but I’m not surprised. 

On 6/16/2021 at 8:05 AM, JustHereForFood said:

Yes, I thought about that too, it's great he gets all this self-development, but he only talks about that to Isabel or to other people at the meetings, we don't see him talking to Victor about it.

I can’t see the Dad being comfortable talking to Victor about how hes “growing as a person”- he’s the father. He’s supposed to be infallible and the one Victor looks up to. Admitting he didn’t have all the answers or know what to do could be an assault on his manhood and his ability to be a leader. Add in his wife cheated on him and he’s going through a separation, he isn’t so confident right now. 

Again not Victor’s fault (Victor is the child here) but I’m not surprised. 

I like Felix & Lake together. I am starting to worry about Mia. Can someone pay attention to her emotionally? Her Dad is emotionally absent, her BFF is focused on her relationship with her boyfriend (which is not a bad thing but not great for Mia). I wish Mia could confide in Veronica.  Derek did redeem himself from being kinda jerky last season by making sure someone checked on Mia.