Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E12: Dan

• Start Topic

Dan, a talented hockey player, struggles to live up to his alcoholic father's expectations; Dan's desire to have an amicable father-son relationship comes to an abrupt end when his father dies in a car crash, fueling his own alcoholic breakdown.

Original air date 2021.05.24

4 hours ago, MinorL said:

Wow, this was one of the biggest transformations I can remember. Dan truly did look like a completely different person after treatment. 

His transformation really was amazing considering where he came from. He was an absolutely mess. I’m glad he got clean and according to the update has been clean for three years. Good for him. 

3 hours ago, Supagirl said:

Have we had a Canadian yet that didn’t play hockey?

IKR! Lol. I wonder if that’s one of the criteria’s for being selected for the Canadian shows. The addict must have played hockey. :)

• Love 2

I know so many parents like Dan's father...living vicariously through their children and pushing them hard to be the "star" of whatever sport they play. And I've known quite a number of kids that never meet that expectation of the parents and take to drug or alcohol use. It was sad to see how much he had declined and how sick he was. I'm glad his son sought out Intervention and got his Dad the help in order to live...the son was beginning to repeat that pattern of behavior that his own father had with his father. He was resentful, angry, and had become the parent to his own father, role reversal. The son seemed to drink a bit himself...in fact before the intervention the whole family was sitting around the picnic table and all of them were drinking beer along with Dan. I found that odd and disconcerting.

Dan had a residual sweetness inside, and that helped Andrew and his family connect with him and get him into treatment. I'm glad for his children. However, living across the street from his ex-wife, I worry about old patterns and resentments surfacing.

He just have the constitution of a bull to look so differently after he got sober.

(edited)

It was informational that Andrew told the offspring that they needed to be careful because alcoholism is related to both genetic and environmental factors. They of course had both.  
As a grandchild and a step-child of alcoholics... I and my sisters also had to be careful.  Some of us weren’t careful enough.   I was the oldest and responsible enough that I limited my drinking at least better than the others.  One of my rules was that ii would not drink at home and alone.  I was probably in my 40s before I allowed myself one occasionally on a hot day.  By then beer had lost its appeal for anything more than an occasional one out with friends. Even now beer sits in my fridge for months and is never touched. 

Dan looked so different in treatment. 

once again my DVR didn’t record this episode.   On demand doesn’t show it as season 22

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1