Type keyword(s) to search

Caleb Kennedy

• Start Topic

Absolutely hated seeing the news about Caleb this morning when I logged on here. I understand that we're addressing racism and other issues that have been long ignored, but potentially ruining a kid's future because of a social media post when he was 12? I'm glad that social media wasn't so prevalent when I was younger because I'm sure all of my stupid decisions would ruin my life. I may have never taken a picture with someone in a KKK hood (would be ironic on multiple levels if I had), but I screwed up plenty of things in my youth.

But it does pose the question: why in the hell does a 12 year old have social media?

• Love 4

When he found out the video was leaked, he began blocking people that were commenting on it.  He knew it would make him look bad. 

Idol had no choice but to cut him.  They have dropped people for lesser offenses.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, escape said:

When he found out the video was leaked, he began blocking people that were commenting on it.  He knew it would make him look bad. 

Idol had no choice but to cut him.  They have dropped people for lesser offenses.

Oh I know they had to cut him. It's an advertising nightmare. I just think that the fact that they had to cut him for something he did when he was 12 is a sad statement about our world. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's confusing because he doesn't look 12 in the video, and his mom said they were imitating characters from The Strangers: Prey at Night, which didn't come out until Caleb was 13. Although it wouldn't surprise me if his mom is lying. If they were just imitating characters from the movie, then Caleb's statement about bettering himself doesn't really make sense. I thought it was good that he wasn't trying to make excuses.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Where were his parents?  In matching hoods a few rows back?  

I WILL blame the parents for the social media of a 12 year-old.  If they had scrubbed it before he went anywhere near those auditions, at least that would have been something.  He's 16 now?  Is he being supervised at all?

Yeah, we see all those cutesy, "look at all my loving & supportive family" shots of the folks behind the performers, but the CHILD is still legally a child.  If those people aren't still raising him, he will fail and it will be on them. 

• Love 5

It's one thing to sit next to someone wearing a KKK hood, and worse to take a video, but really bad to post it to social media.  When it gets to that, it's something you're proud of and want the world to know about you.

• Love 7

There's a part of me who has a problem with punishing a 12 yr old. But this isn't a situation that one can just blame on his youth. He had to know what this represented, and he did it anyway. and his parents bear some responsibilty too. But beyond leaving AI, I'm wondering if this makes him toxic in Nashville too?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

It's confusing because he doesn't look 12 in the video, and his mom said they were imitating characters from The Strangers: Prey at Night, which didn't come out until Caleb was 13. Although it wouldn't surprise me if his mom is lying. If they were just imitating characters from the movie, then Caleb's statement about bettering himself doesn't really make sense. I thought it was good that he wasn't trying to make excuses.

I'm far from a movie buff, so I had no reference point to what movie this even was. I wouldn't be surprised if she lied, but I also don't want to just assume someone's a liar. I think his "bettering himself" statement could still apply, even if it was a movie imitation. You can better yourself from taking part in things that you shouldn't, no matter what motivated the action. I liked his statement. Thought it was pretty straightforward. I hope he goes on and leads a productive, successful life, whether it's in music or something else. I know society says we're supposed to hope the kid is punished forever, but I'm just not on board with it.

I'm a black man who was born, raised and still live in the south. This kind of stuff is minor compared to what I've dealt with in my life, so perhaps I'm not as outraged as I should be. I think he was 12/13 and stupid. I know as 12/13, I was stupid too. Did plenty of regrettable things that I hope people don't still define me by. 

3 hours ago, leighdear said:

Where were his parents?  In matching hoods a few rows back?  

I WILL blame the parents for the social media of a 12 year-old.  If they had scrubbed it before he went anywhere near those auditions, at least that would have been something.  He's 16 now?  Is he being supervised at all?

Yeah, we see all those cutesy, "look at all my loving & supportive family" shots of the folks behind the performers, but the CHILD is still legally a child.  If those people aren't still raising him, he will fail and it will be on them. 

I know I was raised in a different time, but I know my parents would have flipped out if I was even active on social media at age 12. Unless they were completely inattentive, I find it hard to believe that they didn't know about this. 

3 hours ago, ChuChu said:

It's one thing to sit next to someone wearing a KKK hood, and worse to take a video, but really bad to post it to social media.  When it gets to that, it's something you're proud of and want the world to know about you.

At 12/13, is it really about "wanting the world to know something about you" or is it about trying to do something outlandish on social media to get clicks/likes/shares/whatever it is that you're into. I'm not saying he's not a racist; I'm saying we don't know if he is and I generally try to give people the benefit of the doubt. At the youngest, he was 12. At oldest, he was 13. Either way, I don't think you really know a whole lot about yourself at that point.

54 minutes ago, KHenry14 said:

There's a part of me who has a problem with punishing a 12 yr old. But this isn't a situation that one can just blame on his youth. He had to know what this represented, and he did it anyway. and his parents bear some responsibilty too. But beyond leaving AI, I'm wondering if this makes him toxic in Nashville too?

I'm not a big fan of punishing people for something they did when they were 12/13. His situation is a bit different I guess because he's still just 16. I understand cutting him from the show because advertisers would NEVER go for it. 

Having said that, I don't think it makes him toxic in Nashville. Morgan Wallen's album broke digital sales records after his drunken racial slur. Talent always outweighs controversy, so if somebody believes he's got the talent, they'll try to make a buck off him. I think they'll hide him for a year or so, but I do think somebody will give him a deal.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

That’s interesting. They did mention that movie on ET tonight. The hood really does look like the character in that movie. I know that sounds strange but honestly it does if you look at the picture. But since you mentioned the movie came out when he was 13 and he saying that he made the video when he was 12 somethings not adding up. Plus what is a 12-year-old doing on social media anyway. 

20 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

I'm not a big fan of punishing people for something they did when they were 12/13. His situation is a bit different I guess because he's still just 16. I understand cutting him from the show because advertisers would NEVER go for it.

And imagine if he had managed to win the show. I didn't think he was talented enough to deserve winning as it is, jmo, but he was the only country contestant left and a White guy on a show that heavily favors them to win regardless of talent level--and something like this in the news probably would've boosted the votes he would receive. (Which is sick, but here we are.) If he won, the show would look like they support this kind of thing, too. So I definitely don't blame the show for their decision at all.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And imagine if he had managed to win the show. I didn't think he was talented enough to deserve winning as it is, jmo, but he was the only country contestant left and a White guy on a show that heavily favors them to win regardless of talent level--and something like this in the news probably would've boosted the votes he would receive. (Which is sick, but here we are.) If he won, the show would look like they support this kind of thing, too. So I definitely don't blame the show for their decision at all.

Very good points. I don't know that I think that Idol "favors" white people, but there's really no point in debating that here.

I like his vocals but that's primarily because I'm a HUGE country fan. My grandpa played a major role in raising me, and had me listening to country music at a young age. As much as I like country and think Caleb can sing, I don't think he was good enough to win. Truthfully, he was probably the fourth or fifth best contestant left out of the top 5. I had already told my wife that I figured he would get sent home this week. However, if he had managed to win and THEN this happened? You're right. The chaos that would've ensued would have been insane. They definitely had no choice but to cut him loose.

I was just glad they didn't bring back somebody that had already been voted off (namely Arthur Gunn). 

• Love 2