Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Walk This Way

• Start Topic

I laughed so hard at Denise's Icarus reference!

Oh, Paul. Part of me thought it was very sweet how much he wanted to spend some time with Denise because she is his family. But the other part of me was like OMG, BACK OFF, PAUL! There's nothing like someone being an overeager try hard hounding you to hang out. But I did enjoy the montage of all the stuff he did to use his privilege to help her. Cannonball!

The kids selling chocolate bars was not as interesting to me, probably because I still have memories of having to sell various chocolate and candy for school fundraisers. I did not have parents who would take my candy to work and sell it for me so it was always such a chore to sell even one box.

• Love 4

@ElectricBoogaloo those stupid candy bars will haunt my dreams.  No one wanted to buy them.  World’s Finest Chocolate?  I think not.   As for the episode, this was another delightful one.  They are getting into a good groove.  Aunt Denise is my favorite and she plays off well with each character.  I really hope we see her on a Black-ish episode!

• Love 6
17 hours ago, LBS said:

@ElectricBoogaloo those stupid candy bars will haunt my dreams.  No one wanted to buy them.  World’s Finest Chocolate?  I think not.  

I can still remember the exact scent of chocolate mixed with cardboard that says World's Finest Chocolate to me. I was always afraid that my chocolate would melt. But I guess at least candy is sellable. I hated when we had to sell crap out of catalogs. If my mom didn't buy that little ceramic tchotchke when she was at the Hallmark store at the mall, why would she want to buy it for $5 more out of this catalog? One year our school decided that our fundraiser would be selling light bulbs (the logic was "well, everyone needs light bulbs!").

Then the big fundraising thing was magazine subscriptions and wrapping paper. Although I was not a fan of buying overpriced gift wrap, I will say that it was nice thick paper and I loved the grid marks on the back to help you cut evenly!

I loved that Paul's idea for taking Denise to lunch was to have soup at the pizza place. I had never considered that minestrone soup might be made from leftover pizza ingredients!

• Love 3

On 5/13/2021 at 8:23 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

laughed so hard at Denise's Icarus reference!

My favorite line of the show.

"We flew to close the sun. Like Icaraus."   [pause]    "Icarus Jones, my friend who lost his pilot's license for hot-dogging"

LOL.  Her delivery!

Fun episode.  I liked Denise and Paul as a scene pairing.  I hadn't realized we haven't seen anything of them together really. And I liked the relationship dynamic the show laid out.  It makes sense given the history of the two and it was funny.

Oh man the chocolate bars! the chocolate bars!  Having to sell those things was torture for an introvert like me.  And my dad, bless his salt of the earth soul, absolutely refused to buy any.  His response "what the fuck am I paying school taxes for then?" LOL

• Love 7
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved that Paul's idea for taking Denise to lunch was to have soup at the pizza place.

I thought he did that after they said he "began to suspect" her was being used, so he knew it wasn't a great place, but if she agreed he would think it meant she actually did want to spend time with him.

I know it's exaggerated for comedy, but returning USED underwear? No. Gross. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Show, you went too far!!

I think those school fundraisers using merch no one would ever want, and child labor besides, should be banned. I also think they'd probably raise more money just by soliciting donations. There's a school around here that is forcing children to sell candles, for godsake. It's child abuse!

Denise gets along great with Grandpa, so it's even funnier how much she hates Paul.

"I can do more than return things without a receipt!" is one hell of a brag.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I forgot to add, Paul's completely awkward and inappropriate tries at giving Denise a nickname.  made me LOL too.  He's right, though.

Yeah! Double-Dee's don't play that!

• Love 2

I never thought about it but its true that we don't really get Denise and Paul plots, so that was fun to see that acknowledged and dealt with. They might not ever be best friends, but I hope we see them hang out a bit more, they work really well together as a comedy duo. Of course, Denise is hilarious, she can work well with anyone. 

I still remember lugging random crap around my neighborhood trying to sell stuff my school gave me to my neighbors and hitting up every one of my million relatives knowing that my cousins would be hitting us up in a few weeks while I looked increasingly desperate. At least my school gave us cute prizes and not can sized frisbees. 

• Love 1

Were individualized daps a thing in the 80s?

Slightly used open underpants. OMG. Reminded me of the time I had a temp job doing inventory at high end department store. We also had to count the things that had been returned but couldn't be put back out to be sold again. One of the items was a girdle which had clearly been worn, made evident by the presence of certain visible stains in the crotch area. That was decades ago and the thought still makes me retch.

Cancun isn't real Mexico. Heh, it is now, Denise. Meanwhile, it seemed like Denise wore all the Gucci in this episode.

Master Alabaster. Um, "master"? Interesting Denise didn't call Paul out on that.

Of course White Grandpa bought all the candy. Of course.

And of course Alicia went all "I'm a lawyer" on Denise's landlord.