Type keyword(s) to search

Drag Race España

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

I like Carmen, but there is a lack of humility there.  I don't know.  I like my queens to be a bit human.  Carmen is too good.  Maybe it's like in the main show when the judges say "we need to see your flaws to see you."  

This is why I like Killer Queen.  I think Killer Queen has higher emotional intelligence because they are a doctor out of drag.

• Love 1

SO Episode 7:

Aaiiii Fernando!!! The girls were all such horndogs. 

So we have a Top 3 ( surprised as it's been a Final 4 mostly over all the international seasons over the past year). And Carmen Farala has her name on that crown with three wins, I love Killer though and she did great this episode. They all did great in that lipsync - but I thought they were going to cut Sagittaria. So farewell Pupi (expect some bitterness in the reunion)

• Love 1

I would like to recruit Fernando to my team, please. What? I meant rugby. Promise.

Really shocked it was Pupi who went home, not Sagitaria. Sagi did the classic mistake of focusing more on herself instead of her sister, and honestly, both Neptuna and Pepi looked TERRIBLE on the runway. Carla, however, had the most "realness" factor out of all eight people on that runway, so I can't begrudge Carmen the win, even though I wanted it to go to Killer Queen for turning Slayer into the most dragged-out sister. I was surprised by the three-way lip sync! But it was a really good one, probably the most energetic this season has had. Still, I thought Pupi was the best performer in it with the most personality. So again....shocked.

Carmen will really have to crash and burn on an epic scale to not win that crown though. But hey, I can't deny she's a strong contender and would be so on any edition.

• Love 1
On 6/7/2021 at 8:24 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I didn't get why the Metal Donnas thought their name was so funny. They clearly thought it was hilarious and burst into laughter every time they said it, but I didn't get it at all.

One of the biggest Supermarket chains in Spain is called Mercadona, which I think was the intended pun, but they probably can't say it because it would be free advertising 

(edited)
46 minutes ago, violet and green said:

I thought it was a play on the Spanish for Methadone...

It's possible, but if they were going for the kitschy joke, Mercadona has a jingle and it's pretty pervasive, let me see if I can find a commercial for it on youtube so you guys can hear it

Edited by WearyTraveler
(edited)
19 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

It's possible, but if they were going for the kitschy joke, Mercadona has a jingle and it's pretty pervasive, let me see if I can find a commercial for it on youtube so you guys can hear it

Here you go! This short jingle is so ubiquitous that there's even a video of a guy analyzing it in youtube.  They put it at the end of every commercial and they have commercials everywhere. And this video I'm posting is of someone actually remixing the first 4-5 seconds (original jingle) into 1 minute and 15 seconds with several beats and variations.

Edited by WearyTraveler
On 6/14/2021 at 9:12 PM, Rai said:

I got the impression that "Mocatriz" is a fake word comprised of Model, Cantante, and Actriz -- Model, Singer, and Actress

This is correct (native Spanish speaker here, and yes, the translations are lacking, in part because there's cultural stuff that can't be communicated with a literal translation, and in part because they are cutting out some stuff)

There's an old thread on reddit re this: What does metal donnas mean : DragRace_Espana; and another where all the Spanish references are decoded...

Meanwhile, the loss of Dovima and then Pupi is too much for me. A fine final three, but not my final three.

Just watched the reunion ep - was fun indeed. No real bitchiness. Surprised that Pupi won Miss Congeniality - I would have given it to Aranxa Castilla la Mancha for being so effervescent. Not sure how they voted ( was it youtube interviews like UK / DU? ). Was most glad to see Drag Vulcano again - she is a star and hope she gets to shine again. 

• Love 1

Drag Vulcano's WIG. She was truly one of the most polished queens there, and I appreciate that she goes for full drag whereas Carmen goes for full "realness." I really hope to see Drag Vulcano again someday.

Also, I love how Killer Queen doesn't really have a set look. I didn't even recognize her at first. She looked great too! But I think they're all expecting Carmen to win, just like we are.

• Love 2

I think the other girls were pretty harsh on Pupi and she kept on laughing, smiling and joking along.  Maybe the others were like "we are pretty hard on her and she was always keeping our spirits up."  but I agree that Aranxa was the more congenial.  :)

I'm all Killer Queen now.  I'm still not a fan of Carmen.  

Loved seeing the eliminated queens.  Valentina in a beard was fun!

In the lip sync to U wear it well I ordered them Killer/Sagittarius then Carmen.  On the runway, Sagittarius, Killer and then Carmen (because she almost slipped and your drag needs to be wearable).  And in LSFYL I had Killer Queen, Sagittarius and then Carmen.

I believe Carmen won because she was the best over the season, but I don't think she had the best day.

Overall, I was disappointed.  

• Love 2

I think Carmen cinched it when she did her last reveal.  For those who don't know the song, the chorus goes like this:

Ya lo ves, la vida es así (So you see, such is life)
Tú te vas y yo me quedo aquí (You go away and I remain here)
LLoverá y ya no seré tuya (It will rain and I will no longer be yours)
seré la gata, bajo la lluvia (I will be the cat under the rain)
y maullaré por ti (and I will meow for you)

She did the wig reveal on the line "I will be the cat under the rain", and it was planned that she'd be wet, so, it wasn't a regular wig swapping reveal.  As everything Carmen does, it was perfectly timed; not only on the song line (which being the chorus had been repeated a couple of times before her reveal), but also on the placement of it at the very end of the song (for most effect).  She did her skirt reveal one third into the song, also well timed, but perhaps more expected.

I agreed with a lot of the judges opinions when they were discussing the contestants after they had walked off the stage.  I thought that they might have given it to Killer Queen, with all the talk about evolution, and with all the talk about Carmen being too perfect.  But at the same time, every time I hear that kind of talk on shows like this, it bothers me a little because if a person is performing perfectly, why should they be penalised? I wasn't very taken with Carmen at the beginning, but I have to say I changed my mind as the competition progressed.  Mostly it was the way she interacted with the other contestants.  She was supportive, and helpful, and they all seemed to like her a lot.

Agreed also that Sagittaria is still too young, she has the energy and the modern look, but it's a bit too much at times, disorganised.  Killer is versatile, funny and her looks have improved, but I have always thought she needs a bit more finesse on the runway (walk wise).  Sometimes it looks as if she were flat footed, and she looks clunky.

I believe Carmen deserved it because she has been flawless all season and also because she absolutely wiped the floor with the other two during the lipsynch. Killer and Sagittaria were worthy competitors, though.  And the show was so light-hearted and positive (compared to other iterations), that I really did enjoy it a lot.

Finally, Drag Vulcano looked S-TUH-NINNNNG! (hope they call her back for a future all stars)

• Love 1
(edited)

Carmen Farala is lovely and really deserving of the crown. That said, this finale was pretty boring because we all knew she was going to take it no matter what the challenges were this episode. Great wig reveals though 

IMO Killer won the lipsyncs - both in U Wear it Well and on the mainstage - she knows how to werq the camera. But I agree that she has the challenge of being a bit of a bigger queen - she paints beautifully but needs to proportionize. And Sagittaria needs to pad. 

It was great to have all the other queens walk the runway (Down Under missed out). Did you know Drag Vulcano is a Drag Queen?? If I ever go  the movies at Gran Canaria, that bitch better not be sitting in front of me :) 

Edited by Wonderlad71
changed text order

Killer definitely killed U Wear It Well and the lipsync.  She is super expressive and was fun to watch.  I don't like to see her try to death drop.  I think Carmen was very interesting in either challenge.  Sure she's beautiful and can sew, but her lipsyncs were crappy!  Oh and complaining about the song being too repetitive? LOL - don't let Mama Ru hear that!

Okay, I just watched the Season 2 premiere.  A few thoughts:

1) The cast is bigger and deeper this time

2) Drag Race Sethlas will last longer than Drag Volcano--I love these Canary Island Queens

3) There apparently will be a lot of nudity this season

4) Onyx is creepy good

5) The Barcelona queens really brought it

I think that this is shaping up to be a great season!

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 2

Yes just watching the first episode as well - lots of queens so lots to take in / remember. 

Onyx won but I think my fave so far is Marina (likeable/confident and unique design aesthetic).

I also have a soft spot for the Gran Canaria queens  - so hope Drag Sethlas makes it far and I think she will. Also rooting for Sharonne (great there's a good age range across the queens unlike Original Recipe S14). And Juriji (sp?) is quite a character (loved the clam look). 

The bottom 2 were obvious and IMHO could have been a double elimination. The lipsync was a mess. Samantha seems to have a reputation so may have been favoured a little.

Maybe an unpopular view (and I'm not Spanish) but aside from Supremme the rest of the judges could have been replaced and I would have been fine.

• Love 2

OOOOOOOOOF. That lipsync. TOTAL mess. But okay, let's get a little chaotic here.

I do think that the range of looks from this cast of queens is so much fiercer than other franchises, including the original recipe. Oh my goodness. The top three were top tier, but honestly, there wasn't really a bad look on the runway, IMO. I worry she won't go far, so I want to give a shout-out to Diamante and her baseball outfit here. LOVED it. Very representative of the Dominican Republic!

That said, Onyx's angel look -- wow. Just incredible work. I actually can't tell if it's drag or a costume, but it truly sold an inhuman statue come to life, and I live.

My subtitles are very hard to make out on the screen, and it will drive me nuts until I die, I guess. Fortunately, I know enough Spanish to recognize when someone's called a cow! I'm really happy to have this particular version back. Come through, reinas!

• Love 1

If Samantha Ballentines is going to skate by every week by shedding all her clothes and wig in the lip sync, I'm really going to look askance on this season.

Also to look askance about: the talent show. Everyone was amazing, tbh. Like. Incredible performances (aided by the pit crew) and looks across the board. But as an American, I'm super SUPER uncomfortable with Sharronne's puppet. That's stepping over a certain line for me. I don't know what the conversation in Spain around racism and colorism has arrived at, but I was just not on board with it. Incredible voice? Yes. She's a queen to beat. But the best singer nomination should've been Juriji, and there shouldn't be any debate about it.

The runway was incredible, but what's the line between drag and costume really? I'm starting to question it this season. It was SO FUN to see the season 1 queens. Vulcano and Hugacio, you remain the queens of my heart. Everyone's glow up was on fire though.

Liking the cast, liking the challenges, but there are questions that I have!

• Love 2

Amazing episode and so hard to choose a bottom two,  let alone a top3. 

Felt bad for Ariel Rec - her performance was rather good and in any other talent show (most All-stars) she would have been safe if not high - sure her runway was not great though.

The judges are obviously living for Samantha's mess but I just cannot.

• Love 2

I was glad to see Samantha Ballantines go this week.  She has been in the bottom 2 all three weeks and her lip sync  styles relies on taking off her shoes, wig and clothes.  Yes, this time there was a reveal, but nothing connects to the song.

I think the other queens (save Diamante) were sad to see her go because she is an icon of Spanish drag.  But this is about the NEXT drag superstar.

So far this is a great season.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 1

I guess alot of cultural references went over my head in Ep.3 because I thought the judging was whack.

I thought Juriji and Samantha were the most entertaining in Only Flans. Venedita (despite her scandalous entrance) was very flat for me and I was baffled by her win. 

I like Onyx but not getting much personality (Hugaceo 2.0?).

Sharonne really is the bitch to beat. She has not really put a foot wrong in terms of the show (except perhaps the optics of her puppet show from a certain PoV). 

The Juriji vs Marina untucked drama was eye-popping but was a bit sad because I am rooting for both of them.

The Almodovar runway was excellent. I think I have seen most of his oeuvre.

Jota exceeded my expectations and delivered in that lipsync  - Bye Felicia ... Um I mean Voldemo... I mean Samantha 

On 4/10/2022 at 5:20 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

I was glad to see Samantha Ballantines go this week.  She has been in the bottom 2 all three weeks and her lip sync  styles relies on taking off her shoes, wig and clothes.  Yes, this time there was a reveal, but nothing connects to the song.

I think the other queens (save Diamante) were sad to see her go because she is an icon of Spanish drag.  But this is about the NEXT drag superstar.

So far this is a great season.

This was the first time I saw judges (the Javis) look truly disappointed in a contestant's lipsync. 

I have to give it to the Spanish queens: They're not afraid to get really gross and go to the extreme. However, **I** might be too squeamish for this season. Between the monsters runway and the improv foods, I feel like I've been challenged. In the gag reflex. (Fitting when you think about it!)

I think the safe group had three of the best performers overall, but I can't argue with the winner. Still, once again, I feel like Juriji got overlooked. I don't even want to like her that much, but she keeps impressing me.

I also loved the runway. I adore Almodóvar, and no one disappointed. I even enjoyed Samantha's reveal. I also was impressed she ended her performance fully dressed and with a wig on, but she sure took a terrible way through it. Jota was amazing with it, although I think Samantha sealed her fate with her first jerk-off joke and it went downhill from there. Anyway, Samantha is clearly talented and well loved and maybe just not the right fit for this show.

Eduardo Casanova may have the bad taste to have encouraged Samantha in the lip sync, but oh my god, he was a great judge overall and what a look. Pure fabulousness head to toe.

This still feels like Sharonne's to lose, but I hope Onyx and Drag Sethlas hang in there, and Juriji gets her due. Every time I watch an episode, I just come away feeling happy. I love this version!

• Love 1

I was into all of it, and I think the correct queen won the musical challenge, but oh my god, enough with the wig snatches and stripping in the lip syncs. I can't. The ghost of Samantha Ballentines has cursed this lip sync stage.

• Love 1

Hey nobody still watching? I was running a few weeks behind but now all caught up. 

I thought the Top 5 were a fine bunch but would have kept Juriji over Venedita. She  is so radiant. 

Kudos to Marina for winning the roast-  a really brainy queen,  but Sharonne is clearly going to win the whole thing. Was fun seeing the Season 1 top 5 again. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, still watching.  I was disappointed when Drag Sethlas went home last week.  And I was happy Juriji went this week.  They seem to telegraph winners on this show so I agree on Sharon winning it all.

Edited by Ms.Lulu

I caught up in a rush, also. I am disappointed Juriji left, and thought she won that lipsync. The boot order does seem rather preordained. But then it was telegraphed Marina would be out soon, and instead she rose like a bird from the ashes!

• Love 1

I caught up this morning, and I'm okay with a final four if they get to do a lipsync tournament. Marina keeps being the surprise dark horse, and despite Estrella's lack of polish (although her black and white look was excellent), her talent is so evident it would've been heartbreaking to cut her out of the finale.

Sharonne is PROBABLY the winner. But I've come to really embrace Venedita to the point that I think I'm most rooting for her to win. A bearded queen winning a drag race franchise would be amazing to me, and she certainly has the polish and more versatility than I expected. Her makeover was so good! And she's just very charming and sweet (and hot). I don't know. I didn't expect to be so won over by her, but I hope she wins. And if not, Sharonne makes total sense. But who knows? Marina still could upset it all!

(Sorry, Estrella, I would put you in fourth in this race probably.)

(edited)

So we have a final 4 - I was not surprised in the least. Marina and Estella both brought something different to that lipsync and was hard to judge a winner. The Top and bottom 2 were pretty obvious though. I actually thought Sharonne had a huge advantage having  a respected designer as a makeover subject/partner.

Quite a long episode 9 but the elderly gents were so charming and the convo about being gay and aging was given it's due space and respect.

Bring on the reunion and inevitable crowning of Sharonne. (Marina is my fave though)

Edited by Wonderlad71

So we have winner (and it's Sharonne! Surprise! lol) . They really could have edited that final episode the house down boots - but the song was well produced . I thought Sharonne and Marina were the best. I also feel they chopped Marina at 4 because she may have assassinated the others in a lipsync finale and they knew they wanted Sharonne as the winner either way. 

Again a fun enough season. Hardly groundbreaking but some interesting new personalities I hope to see more of in the future.

• Love 2

I thought at various points, ooh, maybe Estrella's going to take out the crown... When Sharonne won, I said out loud, "What a surprise!" but that was such a lovely heartfelt response to the win from Sharonne. I enjoy Supremme as host so much. It's a good-natured show, over all, DR Spain.

• Love 2

Finally watched the reunion and the finale the other day. Charming cast as always, but honestly, some segments do go on a little bit too long. That said, that was a pretty complicated performance! But with the way Sharonne can belt it out, how could anyone else win? Plus her final runway look and the clever glitter moment during the final lip sync -- honestly, the level of polish. Too much.

I hope there's another season! It's my favorite of the non-Ru joints, even over Canada. It helps me with my rusty Spanish, the judges are excellent, and the queens are always fascinating. But maybe some better pacing, editors.

On 4/17/2023 at 1:23 PM, dolphincorn said:

I just watched the Season 3 premiere. The contestants! The dancers! The lip sync! I need a cold shower.

Yasss! I was feeling my oats throughout the episode - Chanel Anorex is so one of my types.

Overall a fairly entertainting premiere. No clear winner from this lot. 

• Like 1

Love Pitita and she's my winner, however, I'm glad she didn't win last night's episode as she clearly had an advantage with her partner being a seasoned drag queen. Plus, they needed to spread the wealth. 

The judges are still the best part of the show, however, part of the reason why I think Pitita is winning so much is that there weren't any clear frontrunners aside from her. I mean sure, I LOVED Bestiah and Pakita but they had a very specific skill-set. 

• Like 1

My god, Clover Bish looked so angry to be in the bottom two, and then furious when she got the old heave ho! As if she was entitled to be in the finals. Complete contrast to the gracious and cheerful exit of Pakita and Pink Chadora, who I'd hoped to see continue on.

I am so glad Vania Vainilla got that win, that was a really endearing pairing.

• Like 1