Type keyword(s) to search

Louise Ellison: LGBT In The 1860s

Here's a snip from an interview with Jennifer Ferrin about Louise's involvement with John Campbell (emphasis mine):

Q: In Episode 409, Louise becomes entangled with John Campbell. Are you hoping she’ll find love?

A: One of the things that we really talked about in developing Louise this season was rounding her out a bit more and giving her more of a personal life that the audience could connect to. We were finding that she had such a strong presence as a reporter, but we were lacking what was underneath all of that. So, when John Campbell came into town, it was a real alluring thought to see what their connection would be. They’re both smart and they’re both stubborn. The writers and I really talked about what it would mean for Louise to be attracted – however harmful it was – to a man and what kind of internal conflict that would bring. I enjoy when a character is fleshed out fully and we wanted to paint her as this complex character that might fall for this person who doesn’t pigeonhole her into a type. I think that leaves it open for her to perhaps find love or just find herself.

Edited by justmehere

Love seems to have eluded a number of the characters on this show up to this point. Not a very happy content lot if you ask me. As far as Louise is concerned I'm still a little confused regarding her sexuality. If she finds love with Campbell she would have to remain in Cheyenne wouldn't she?

It sounds like Louise is a little confused too.

As far as leaving Cheyenne, I guess she was exiled there, but it hasn't seemed like she's been anxious to leave. I may be forgetting stuff, but my impression is that the place intrigues her. Also, who knows how long Campbell would want to stay. He's only the provisional governor, isn't he? He's been a man who does what he wants in a place (profits) and then moves on. I suppose that could change if he and Louise end up having more of an effect on each other than expected. They both seem a bit surprised by their attraction.

I guess the writers are exploring Louise's sexuality and fleshing out her character, but that's not what's interesting to me.  I don't care if she's with a man or a woman, or both.  What I care about is that she's with this particular man, Campbell.  This is a man who deputized someone he knew to be a crazed killer who killed innocent people, a loose cannon who would probably have killed innocent people in the future if Ruth hadn't shot him.  I can understand that Campbell wanted to restore law and order to Cheyenne, but he didn't have to hire Sidney Snow.  And Louise knows all this, yet she still wants to sleep with him.  So basically, I don't give a rat's ass about her character or what happens to her in the future.  

Violence and killing are a prominent part of this show unfortunately. Most if not all the prominent male characters could be described as violent or loose canons. Even the women are getting into the act.(Eva/Ruth) As far as Louise and the other women  are concerned their choice of male company is somewhat limited.

• Love 1

And Louise knows all this, yet she still wants to sleep with him.  So basically, I don't give a rat's ass about her character or what happens to her in the future.  

I said this in the episode thread, but I think "wants to" is putting it a bit strongly. There was no indication (IMO) that Louise was getting all swoony over Campbell after the sex. He was the one lazing around in bed, but she was already up and fully dressed. Not exactly the behavior of a woman who's besotted with someone, whatever their gender. As for being violent, even Cullen, to a point, could be considered a loose cannon, and in fact it was his refusal to shoot Snow that prompted Ruth to blow him away instead.

As for being violent, even Cullen, to a point, could be considered a loose cannon, and in fact it was his refusal to shoot Snow that prompted Ruth to blow him away instead.

So that meant that Cullen was actually nonviolent in that instance, unfortunately.   

Whatever, I still don't give a rat's ass about Louise.  Surely there must be another man around there whom she could consider "suitable."

Edited by Ohwell
Surely there must be another man around there whom she could consider "suitable."

Or woman! For whatever reason, and even if it's "harmful" in some sense, Louise is attracted to Campbell. Attraction doesn't follow logic, and she doesn't seem especially happy with the fact; she's just acting on the attraction. Granted, she has a choice whether or not to act -- this is hers. Some will write her off for it; some won't. Personally, I'm intrigued. Campbell stopped being largely one-note for me when he admitted to his mistake in hiring Snow.

Here's a snip from an interview with Jennifer Ferrin about Louise's involvement with John Campbell (emphasis mine):

Q: In Episode 409, Louise becomes entangled with John Campbell. Are you hoping she’ll find love?

A: One of the things that we really talked about in developing Louise this season was rounding her out a bit more and giving her more of a personal life that the audience could connect to. We were finding that she had such a strong presence as a reporter, but we were lacking what was underneath all of that. So, when John Campbell came into town, it was a real alluring thought to see what their connection would be. They’re both smart and they’re both stubborn. The writers and I really talked about what it would mean for Louise to be attracted – however harmful it was – to a man and what kind of internal conflict that would bring. I enjoy when a character is fleshed out fully and we wanted to paint her as this complex character that might fall for this person who doesn’t pigeonhole her into a type. I think that leaves it open for her to perhaps find love or just find herself.

This basically translates to the show did not know what to do with the character and had a male character who needed some connection to someone in the town.  So as with pretty much every other show on tv with a lesbian character, lets have this one have sex with a man.  Then we can give some lame rationalization.

Seriously this is beyond offensive.  Yep apparently the only "personal life that the audience could connect to" is her having sex with a man.  Apparently the only way for a lesbian character to be "fleshed out fully" is have sex with a man.  Apparently what makes lesbians "complex" is having sex with men.  And god forbid anyone question this tired, old trope because then they are just "pigeonholing" the character.  Tell you what Hell on Wheels and Ferrin.  Get back to me when Cullen or Durant enters a romance with a man.  Nope.  Otherwise the only pigeonholing being done is the by the people running this show who have taken the clichéd way out.We know the rules.  The times a straight man has sex with a man on tv are incredibly rare.  The times a gay man has sex with a woman on tv are a bit less rare.  The times a straight woman will have sex with a woman on tv happen more (though still a low percentage overall).  But when it is a lesbian they cannot help but desire men sooner or later.   And then come the rationalizations of how in some way this is different than all the other times.  Geez how many times this year alone and how many rationalizations it is different.  Dracula - this time it is different.  Hannibal - this time it is different.  Faking It - this time it is different.  Now Hell on Wheels. 

Edited by dohe

I tried to post this thought in the comments section of the interview mentioned upthread but for whatever reason it won't post so here it is...

What the hell happened to Louise being a lesbian as was established last season. This is a smack in the face to the LGBT community to have her sleep with Campbell.

• Love 1

I agree with a couple of the replies and think that what the show is doing with Louise's and John is absolutely ridiculous.  So a lesbian character that doesn't have sex with a man is a character that's not being fully fleshed out?  Really?!?!?!  They talked about developing her character and giving her more of a personal life but decided to have a lesbian character be attracted to a man?  Really?!?!?!  In the first season Louise was attracted to Eva but didn't have sex with her when Eva instigated it but this season she hops in the sack with John?!?!?!  If they wanted to give her more of a personal life why not continue the Louise/Eva storyline instead of just dropping it and showing nothing between these two women; not even a friendship.  They decided this moral, independent, upstanding lesbian woman would go for a man like John instead of a sweet, decent woman like Eva.  John's not even a good guy but Louise just throws everything that she stands for out the window for HIM?!?!?!  I'm sick of watching this happen over and over again on TV shows/movies.  They write in a lesbian character to get more viewers but then the lesbian character ends up having sex with a man.  It's happening WAY to often.  Sorry writers but lesbians DO NOT have sex with men.  Lesbians are NOT attracted to men.  Lesbians are NOT just waiting for the right man to come along and show them what they are missing. 

• Love 2

So true, Roni. Also, from a story telling pov, it would have been more interesting for the tension between Louise and John to be all about her publishing politically embarrassing articles about him. Instead, that potentially interesting plot line is background to their 50 shades of greyish plot. 

• Love 1

This is a purely shallow observation, but Louise has the upper body of a 10 year old. I don't know I they bound the actress's breasts for some reason, but her shoulders and breasts look awfully tiny in those dresses.