Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: You Give Love a Bad Name

• Start Topic

Paul and Alicia encourage sex-positive conversations with Bow until she invites her crush over to their house; Johan and Alvin look at advertisements, magazines and even the constellations to see if they can see breasts.

Original air date: 3/23/21

The only thing that made me laugh was the boys' passing reference to the "boob tube" -- hadn't heard that one for a while.

Doubtless Santi was a very special baby who needed a very special diet, but wouldn't Johan have witnessed breastfeeding on the commune?

• Love 4

I always love when Harrison and Dee teamed up. "Well if you never want Bow to think about sex again, mission accomplished." 

I remember being deeply shocked growing up the stuff that PG rated 80s movies had in them, growing up in a post PG-13 world. Mom and dad fast forwarded through quite a few scenes when we watched them together. I cant even imagine making it through five minutes of Animal House. 

I miss seeing Bow with her friends in person, but their phone chats are a fun way to keep them around even with restrictions. "Boys love girls who are clumsy, especially when you drop papers everywhere." 

• Love 5

My parents let me watch all kinds of stuff that was probably not age appropriate. They were pretty hands off when it came to censoring what we could read or watch on tv and I wasn't scarred by anything so I guess their approach worked out. Thank goodness they didn't pause every time there was nudity or a sexual situation to have a discussion with me about it though! I really felt for Rainbow because she clearly just wanted to watch the damn movie.

My bedroom was upstairs so I wasn't allowed to have boys in my room, let alone with the door closed. Whenever my friends came over, we usually just stayed in the kitchen or the family room (which had the tv) so it wasn't really that my parents had to specifically tell me not to bring boys up to my bedroom since almost no one came up to my bedroom, but I could still relate to having hovering parents nearby. A few times this boy who I liked came over and we just sat on the step in front of my house (like right in front of the front door, not down by the sidewalk) and my parents kept conveniently opening the front door for various reasons. I was like seriously, what do you think we are going to do RIGHT HERE?

I always enjoy the Harrison/Dee team ups. And of course Denise snuck out to the Teddy Pendergrass tour bus!

I was cracking up at Johan and his friend talking about how girls don't have weiners but they have butts that wrap around to the front. You know that probably came straight from the mouth of one of the writers' kids.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was cracking up at Johan and his friend talking about how girls don't have weiners but they have butts that wrap around to the front. You know that probably came straight from the mouth of one of the writers' kids.

They got really close to the truth, that women have two butts, one in the front and one in the back.

• LOL 3

Naked cans on the TV!

Young Denise on Teddy Pendergrass' tour bus. Yikes. That must've been before he became quadriplegic. 😼

Hmm, I didn't think abstinence-only education really became a thing until the 90s. And it was likely never a thing in CA except maybe out in the rural areas.

Nah, Harrison, hangups just make perverts get better at projection and hiding their perversions.

Denise busting into Bow's room without knocking was problematic, IMO. So was her calling Bow--a child--a heifer.

The no closed doors rule doesn't seem reasonable to me. I think the kids should be allowed to have some occasional privacy, especially when they reach Bow's age and haven't shown any troublesome behavior.

Why is Paul so obsessed with nipples?

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The no closed doors rule doesn't seem reasonable to me. I think the kids should be allowed to have some occasional privacy, especially when they reach Bow's age and haven't shown any troublesome behavior.

I think that was only when boys(or just friends in general) were over?

I think that was only when boys(or just friends in general) were over?

So I went back and watched that scene again. Alicia said, "No boys in bedrooms,  no locked doors, no closed doors." Since she first mentioned not having boys in the bedroom, I figured that rendered the state of the door a moot point as far as boys were concerned.

But maybe she did mean friends in general. If so, the no closed door part still seems harsh to me because if it's just one of Bow's girl friends what's the problem? Bow hasn't given Alicia and Paul any reason to think she or her girl friends would be up to no good right under their noses. They're overreacting, IMO.

On 3/24/2021 at 1:03 AM, LadyintheLoop said:

The only thing that made me laugh was the boys' passing reference to the "boob tube" -- hadn't heard that one for a while.

I laughed that they thought the commercial they were watching was cutting off the nudity based on the size of the television.  That sounds realistically like kid logic. 

On 3/24/2021 at 12:58 PM, tennisgurl said:

I remember being deeply shocked growing up the stuff that PG rated 80s movies had in them, growing up in a post PG-13 world. Mom and dad fast forwarded through quite a few scenes when we watched them together. I cant even imagine making it through five minutes of Animal House. 

I was surprised that Paul and Alicia were fine with Bow watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  I'd think even the most sex positive parent is going to find that particular film too mature for a 13 year old.  I mean, just off hand, Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Jason Leigh practice giving blow jobs with carrots and Judge Reinhold masturbates to a Phoebe Cates fantasy.

• Love 2